Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,885

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Trololol

Hazard, KY

#95012 Feb 13, 2013
“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”(Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11: Written during the Administration of George Washington and signed into law by John Adams.
~
Thomas Paine:

"What is it the Bible teaches us?-- rapine, cruelty, and murder. What is it the Testament teaches us?-- to believe that the Almighty committed debauchery with a woman engaged to be married, and the belief of this debauchery is called faith.”

"It is the fable of Jesus Christ, as told in the New Testament, and the wild and visionary doctrine raised thereon, against which I contend. The story, taking it as it is told, is blasphemously obscene.”
~
Thomas Jefferson:

"There is not one redeeming feature in our superstition of Christianity. It has made one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites."
~
James Madison:

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95013 Feb 13, 2013
God laughs at you LOL wrote:
I see the thought of the HOLY BIBLE making its way back into public schools has hairlipped the devil. LOL You little devil worshipers, you will never win. You can't defeat the BLOOD of Jesus Christ! Sit and spin losers. LOL
Your god is powerless against me because I have an iron chariot, in fact just about every one does so your god is powerless
now

Hyden, KY

#95014 Feb 13, 2013
whats next,what going to happen in the yr. 2099? will December be cold or warm that yr.?
God laughs at you LOL

United States

#95015 Feb 13, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Your god is powerless against me because I have an iron chariot, in fact just about every one does so your god is powerless
I have a couple iron chariots. My favorite is my Dodge. LOL

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95017 Feb 14, 2013
Better to study the bible than not study it. You might learn something.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#95018 Feb 14, 2013
Do they, or not, teach anything in school pertaining to this subject matter, that started this post?
lucinda tisdale

Lexington, KY

#95019 Feb 14, 2013
Well if they are going to teach religion in ky schools it should be world religion and taught by someone with a divity degree from a university and not some retard who got a degree from a bible college on the internet. And the class should be elective and cover all of the worlds religions not just a christian right wing agenda. Furthermore send your kids to sunday school. Nutrician classes would have a better long term impact.what ever happened to separation of church and state? Send your kids to private christian schools if you wish to program them that way.only in the south
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95021 Feb 14, 2013
lucinda tisdale wrote:
Well if they are going to teach religion in ky schools it should be world religion and taught by someone with a divity degree from a university and not some retard who got a degree from a bible college on the internet. And the class should be elective and cover all of the worlds religions not just a christian right wing agenda. Furthermore send your kids to sunday school. Nutrician classes would have a better long term impact.what ever happened to separation of church and state? Send your kids to private christian schools if you wish to program them that way.only in the south
The rule of seperation of Church and State was violated when it became law that it was OK to teach the unbelievable religion of evolution in public school! Can you explain why it is ok to teach one single religion at the exclusion of all others?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95022 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
The rule of seperation of Church and State was violated when it became law that it was OK to teach the unbelievable religion of evolution in public school! Can you explain why it is ok to teach one single religion at the exclusion of all others?
Yes... Because The Theory of Evolution is not a religion... It's is based on Evidence not Belief... It's basic concept can be changed at any time with the finding of new evidence...

Religion is based on Belief without a requirement for evidence, It's basic concept cannot be changed even in with evidence of it's errors..

See the difference?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95023 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
The watchtower teach that having a blood tranfusion would cause you to be dis-fellowship and disagreeing with the watchtower on this teaching would be a sin against the holy spirit. Is that true?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95024 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is not based on faith with no evedence so it is not a religion.
Why do you insist on pushing your beliefs on to others? What makes you so special that you can push what you believe?
Please offer some proof that your beliefs are real
Lyn

Versailles, KY

#95025 Feb 14, 2013
just my opinion wrote:
Isn't there a way that it could be taught and the parents have a choice as to whether their child did or did not attend that specific class? I myself think it is a good idea, but I can't speak for everyone. There is so much going on in our schools nowadays, maybe for some this will help. It's scary how things have become. When I attended high school, there was a class there, but it was our choice as to whether or not to attend. This is just my opinion.
I AGREE....I beeive there should be a CHOICE if we want our kids to attend a class like this. I say give it a trial-make it availble and LET PEOPLE CHOOSE if they want their kids involved. If it doesn't work-at least it was TRIED, and if it does work....it is just another foundation for our future generation.
Lyn

Versailles, KY

#95026 Feb 14, 2013
why NOT give people a CHOICE. I understand there are numerous reigions, but there is only ONE God, and ONE hsot a life on earth-we all need to make the best of what we have, and a "education" about a loving God can't be all wrong :)
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95027 Feb 14, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not based on faith with no evedence so it is not a religion.
Why do you insist on pushing your beliefs on to others? What makes you so special that you can push what you believe?
Please offer some proof that your beliefs are real
Very Good Question.

That is not to me but I think I know the answer to that question. I have relatives who are JW's.

First thing is they are required by Watchtower to preach what they have been taught.

Second, if they do not preach to others they would be charge with blood guilt of others because they did not fulfill their commission to preach the watchtower beliefs to give others a chance to become saved therefore be a sin for them.

Also,JW will claim the time they preach watchtower doctrine on topix forum and then is sent to the holy spirit board members of the watchtower for credit.

Third they cannot go against the watchtower teaching or they will be guilty of a unforgivable sin against the holy spirit (aka) the watchtower.

The fear of being shunned from friends and family members is very strong and the fear of sinning against the holy spirit is a even greater sin and they will never be the same with friends, family that belong to their religion or the watchtower.

So you can see this is a uphill battle to try and educate them on certain scientific theories that is not in agreement with the watchtower.

When you tell JW that Evolution is not a religion, they will disagree no matter what evidence is presented to them. That does not mean you should not try and refute the watchtower arguments if you can.

Other people reading topix would like to see both sides of this debate, thanks to those who are knowledgeable in these areas for their contribution to the debate.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95028 Feb 14, 2013
Lyn wrote:
why NOT give people a CHOICE. I understand there are numerous reigions, but there is only ONE God, and ONE hsot a life on earth-we all need to make the best of what we have, and a "education" about a loving God can't be all wrong :)
No one is saying that you can not teach your beliefs to your children, you can send them to Sunday school. What we are saying is that your rights end where our rights begin so stay away from my children!
There are over two thousand Gods, but the christian god is not loving, have you ever read the bible? Your god is the most evil, hate filled, blood lusting being in fiction! ACTIONS speak louder than words! I wonder if you worship your god or cherry pick bible verses to justify yourself and ignore the rest?(do you really want young girls to read about Lot and think that god likes it when girls have sex with their own father?)

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#95029 Feb 14, 2013
My iron chariot is my "lil" red blazer it is fueled by spontaneous poots. Be sure to not light a match there would be a great magnipoot.hehehe

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95030 Feb 14, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
My iron chariot is my "lil" red blazer it is fueled by spontaneous poots. Be sure to not light a match there would be a great magnipoot.hehehe
If we could just bottle that gas we would never burn petrol again

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95031 Feb 14, 2013
Lyn wrote:
NOTE; I COPIED THIS FROM FREEDOMOFTHOUGHT
CHOICE OF GODS
Other Figures Sharing Attributes with the Christ Character

Other ancient figures of religion, myth, tradition and lore who share qualities or characteristics with the mythical "Jesus Christ" are listed below. Some of these may also have influenced the Christian effort more or less directly, while others, such as Quetzalcoatl, are included because their story follows the same basic archetype, its existence in the "New World" explainable as a result of it representing observations and worship of nature, including astrotheology.

While a number of them, such as Isis, assuredly were influential on the Christ myth, I include them in this "others" list because I have not gone into their characteristics in depth in Christ Con. More about some of them can be found in other books, such as Suns of God and Christ in Egypt.

• Adad and Marduk of Assyria, the latter of whom was considered "the Word" (Logos)
• Alexander the Great of Greece
• Heracles/Hercules and Zeus of Greece
• Indra of India and Tibet
• Baal or Bel of Babylon/Phoenicia
• Balder, Odin/Wodin/Woden/Wotan and Frey of Scandinavia
• Bali of Afghanistan
• Caesar Augustus of Rome
• Chu Chulainn of Ireland
• Codom and Deva Tat (Buddha) of Siam
• Dahzbog of the Slavs
• Fo-hi, Lao-Kiun, Tien and Shang-Ti of China
• Hermes of Egypt/Greece
• Hesus of the Druids and Gauls
• Isis of Egypt
• Jao/Iao of Nepal
• Jupiter/Jove of Rome
• Mithra of Persia/India
• Perseus of Greece
• Prometheus of Caucasus/Greece
• Quetzalcoatl of Mexico
• Quirinius of Rome
• Salivahana of southern India, who was a "divine child, born of a virgin, and was the son of a carpenter," himself also being called "the Carpenter," and whose name or title means "cross-borne" ("Salvation")
• The Mikado of the Shintos
• Thor of the Gauls
• Universal Monarch of the Sibyls
• Xamolxis/Zalmoxis of Thrace, the savior who "promised eternal life to guests at his sacramental Last Supper. Then he went into the underworld, and rose again on the third day"
• Yahweh of Israel

Other figures in antiquity who share attributes with Jesus can be seen in this list of "dying and rising gods" or "life-death-rebirth deities" on Wikipedia:

Adonis, Amun, Andjety, Antinous, Asclepius, Ataegine, Attis, Baal, Baiame, Baldr, Chinnamasta, Coatlicue, Cronus, Damu, Dionysus, Dumuzi, Eshmun, Euri, Geštinanna, Green Man, Gullveig, Heitsi-eibib, Heqet, Inanna, Ishtar, Isis, Izanagi, Jarilo, Jesus, Julunggul, Kaknu, Kali, Khepri, Krishna, Manannαn mac Lir, Melqart, Moremi, Nut, Obatala, Odin, Opheus, Osiris, Queen of Heaven, Persephone, Phoenix, Proserpina, Quetzalcoatl, Ra, Shiva, Tammuz, Vayu, Veles, Wawalag, Xipe Totec, Zalmoxis, Zorya, Zywie.
comare

Manchester, KY

#95032 Feb 14, 2013
STOP already with religion in public schools! It does not belong there, period. END of story! That is why we have the freedom of choice to send our kids, and ourselves to the house of worship (or not, if we prefer that path) we want. School is a place of the A,B,Cs, and that's it! Tax payers' money is NOT for the teaching of ANY of the 1,000s of religions (just NOT Southern Baptists). Could we please have an Amen and put this to rest already.
WJWP

Indianapolis, IN

#95035 Feb 14, 2013
Yes, who's Bible are we going to choose? Once again we are taking the parents job and making the school do it. Parents don't have to do anything for their kids anymore. It's the government and true schools raising the kids today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 1 hr gator 15
Jason woolum (Jul '11) 3 hr buster hyman 13
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 5 hr Mee 3
terry smith from the creek 6 hr Curious 3
poachers on davis bend (Nov '10) 6 hr take my word 19
Need food badly 6 hr koko 53
Court Dockets 8 hr Jackie 3
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 9 hr Get a life 8
Porsche mills 23 hr Well.... 24
To the Garland family Thu Well.... 3