Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156592 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Arabian Prancer

“Legend in my own mind”

Since: Dec 12

Cougar & lovin'it!

#93451 Dec 31, 2012
King James Version
Humanity
#93452 Dec 31, 2012
Have them study religion as literature or history. I learned more about religion with this type of learning than anything that I learned in church. I didnt even know the following until college:
Jesus had a half brother, James
Judas gave up Christ for 30 pieces of silver then hung himself.
"Forgive them father, for they know not what they do."
The spear of destiny which was stabbed into christ while on the cross.
Learned about Mary Magdaline and how Jesus saved her from being stoned to death.
A roman named Constatine putting the gospels in the bible 150 years after the death of Christ and some gospels were left out like the gospel of James, brother of Jesus, and the gospel of Judas.
The list goes on and on. Just take a different approach to teaching it. We read the bible as literature and also in history. Now, I know more about the history than some christians. Try that.
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#93454 Jan 1, 2013
epheh wrote:
<quoted text>everyone is from somewhere. i was somewhere before you ever got somewhere
<quoted text>there are no absolutes.
<quoted text>you can show where i made such a statement?
<quoted text>then don't have an abortion. better yet take a ride down stinking creek on your noise maker and don't be naval gazing; especially at others.
"there are no absolutes"
That was an Absolutely Stupid statement!
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#93456 Jan 1, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I love how you just make up numbers. Your statistics come from unreliable sources. Did it ever occur to you that the reason a woman has an abortion is not public information?
And there are so many bible verses where your evil god demands that you kill innocent children.
How is YOUR evil god any different than the Aztec god?
If I see some one beating their wife I tend to thump them, usually a bitch slap works because men who beat on women are cowards. Now if I see some one beating on a dog or cat I feed them to the gators. But what does that have to do with abortion?
You believe that killing people who work at womens clinics is justified by your evil god and I say that it is not your right to do so.
Did it ever occur to you that you have been fooled by the devil Jehovah the father of lies and you are worshiping the devil? ACTIONS speak of the true nature and your hate filled gods actions are evil
It's funny how ANY numbers that go against yer idea of truth comes from "Unreliable sources"!
You are such a Tard, and a Lying one at that!
All God wants is for me to tell you, You are Wrong, He is real, and YOU can choose to believe whatever you want!
IF you end up in outer darkness, or in the lake of fire where
Liars go... It is ONLY your choice to do so!
Do not blame God for you getting what you choose!
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#93457 Jan 1, 2013
Humanity wrote:
Have them study religion as literature or history. I learned more about religion with this type of learning than anything that I learned in church. I didnt even know the following until college:
Jesus had a half brother, James
Judas gave up Christ for 30 pieces of silver then hung himself.
"Forgive them father, for they know not what they do."
The spear of destiny which was stabbed into christ while on the cross.
Learned about Mary Magdaline and how Jesus saved her from being stoned to death.
A roman named Constatine putting the gospels in the bible 150 years after the death of Christ and some gospels were left out like the gospel of James, brother of Jesus, and the gospel of Judas.
The list goes on and on. Just take a different approach to teaching it. We read the bible as literature and also in history. Now, I know more about the history than some christians. Try that.
The third time I read the Bible, I read it as a History book! That was when it came to life!
There is writings from James(Jesus' brother) in the Bible!
The reason the "Gospel of James", and the "Gospel of Judas"
were omitted from the cannon, was they were written
145AD, and 180AD respectively, AND did not jive with other Gospels!
How could Judas write a Gospel... when he killed himself?
Also...
Constantine could NOT have put the Bible together
a 150 years After Christ's resurection, as Constantine was born
in 272, and became Emperor in 306...
So... yer statement
"I know more about the history than some christians"
Might be true of "Some" Christians, but not the ones that know
more than you!
Hey, but you are learning!
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#93458 Jan 1, 2013
ANTH0NY75 wrote:
Www.evilbible.com
I think you meant,
www.evilbible.st upid
You can make the reader "Dick, and Jane" sound bad if yoou take it
out of context!
That is all the God haters do, twist it, bend it, quote small pieces of it... Why?
Because they don't know God is real!
I know!
He saved me!
Thank you Jesus!
Amen!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#93459 Jan 1, 2013
Happy New Year to you all!
May it bring True Wisdom to all!
Spaceship earth_ss

El Dorado Hills, CA

#93462 Jan 1, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Well...
I started thinking you might have gained some wisdom, but...
you kept talking, and proved me wrong!
(1) "if the birth would cause harm to the mother or baby"
<1% have ever been done to save the Mother, and
100% of Abortions have been harmful to the babies!
Even the ones that were failed abortions have harmed the babies!
(2)It's NOT yer place to stand up against Evil, against Wrong?
Well... I guess that says it in yer handle! So...
If you see someone beating their wife, n kids... you just walk on by? No! there's just some things you choose to speak out about!
(3) "those christians sure do love killing babies"?
I guess lying is yer forte also! Can you tell me who runs most
of the "Pro-Life" agencies... If you've got a clue!
I Hope I didn't insult you by calling you a Liar?
Tissue? ya Jackwagon!
Facts support that christians have abortions, just encase you have not heard this before,"christians are not perfect..just forgiven".
People can see your type are hypocritical when handing out judgements.

Even in the bible god did not require death for abortions, but god would murder the pregnant women along with the fetus in most painful ways imagine.

The bible clearly shows your god could make you eat the fetuses and family members if enraged .

The rabbinic jews of Israel also believe abortion is ok in some circumstances. I'm curious why you never condemn them for that but rush to condemn secular christians and others here in america.

Your type of preaching is a danger to most americans in that it looks to a theocratic type republic like Islam with only your brand of christianity.

The fact is you appear to support a religous dictatorship of the american people, a christofascism of the american people, a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Year 2018 will pass and another date will be set by the goofy christofacist again. Losing more followers to a more secular society for the good of all.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#93464 Jan 1, 2013
Spaceship earth_ss wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts support that christians have abortions, just encase you have not heard this before,"christians are not perfect..just forgiven".
Even in the bible god did not require death for abortions, but god would murder the pregnant women along with the fetus in most painful ways imagine.
The bible clearly shows your god could make you eat the fetuses and family members if enraged .
The rabbinic jews of Israel also believe abortion is ok in some circumstances. I'm curious why you never condemn them for that but rush to condemn secular christians and others here in america.
Your type of preaching is a danger to most americans in that it looks to a theocratic type republic like Islam with only your brand of christianity.
The fact is you appear to support a religous dictatorship of the american people, a christofascism of the american people, a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Year 2018 will pass and another date will be set by the goofy christofacist again. Losing more followers to a more secular society for the good of all.
You don't know how lucky you are. That other spaceship dude has got a bunch of scars and they ain't from scratchin' chicken pox. Man, that clothes hanger was after him for nine months. I think his maw still hates him.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#93465 Jan 1, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you keep on telling me your cults fantasy even after I tell you that your cult is full of shit. And that is trying to force your cult on to me. Threats? Instead of some fantasy about a lake of fire why not use something real? Why not threaten to beat me with a base ball bat instead?
Your god can not harm me because I have a chariot of iron
Mornin' Satan Daddy. Don't be gettin' your blood pressure up and invitin folks to put knots on your head with a baseball bat. You got enough problems right now stayin' out of reach of Satan mamas fryin' pan handle. Dang man, that thing hurts.
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#93467 Jan 2, 2013
Spaceship earth_ss wrote:
<quoted text>
"Facts support that christians have abortions"
NO! Facts support that people that CALL themselves Christians,
really are not!
You believe whatever you want,
we cannot fix stupid, only God can do that, but
You have to kind of want to be less stupid, and I
don't see it in you, or your kind!
Good day!
abort

Mount Vernon, KY

#93468 Jan 2, 2013
If you believe the Bible, God is the biggest abortionist of them all.
<quoted text>"Facts support that christians have abortions"
NO! Facts support that people that CALL themselves Christians,Ifwe cannot fix stupid, only God can do that, but
Good day!

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#93469 Jan 2, 2013
<quoted text>"Facts support that christians have abortions"
NO! Facts support that people that CALL themselves Christians,
really are not!
You believe whatever you want,
we cannot fix stupid, only God can do that, but
Good day!
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children.(Isaiah 13:15-18

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.(2 Kings 2:23-24
ChristianWacker

Whitley City, KY

#93470 Jan 2, 2013
That's hot.
ChristianWacker

Whitley City, KY

#93471 Jan 2, 2013
Seems to me if his holiness, the very embodiment of Catholic Christianity himself, the Pope was so ready to be with god he would not ride around in a bullet proof pope mobile.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#93472 Jan 2, 2013
ChristianWacker wrote:
Seems to me if his holiness, the very embodiment of Catholic Christianity himself, the Pope was so ready to be with god he would not ride around in a bullet proof pope mobile.
Ya know what all churches and religious folks say...

Have Faith, But buy insurance.....

“Statism is slavery”

Since: Jan 13

Somerset, KY

#93476 Jan 2, 2013
Many people, believers and atheists alike, forget a simple fact. Only individuals can make decisions. Religion is just an inanimate engine that individuals can drive. If a person does a good deed, it's because of a choice they made, same applies if they do wrong.

Many people forget that the texts of the major religions all teach love, peace, the golden rule, and the non-aggression principle. It's just that the parables, as opposed to the morals of the story, are then twisted by people who want to do harm.

As far as indoctrination, I was raised in church. I don't have the intolerant group think many Christians have; even during my rebellious days, I shrugged off the intolerance that comes from that, too. And the whole idea of public school is indoctrination. Not to mention public schools are public - hence they cannot, by law, teach religion - except as electives, maybe.

Both sides are extreme, and they need to meet in the middle. By the way, in the Bible God may have morals he wishes to be taught, but he never demanded the use of force. Both Believers and atheist need to grow up and realize this basic concept.

Religion, or lack thereof, does NOT make you do things without your consent. Redistributing responsibility does not help either side.

“Statism is slavery”

Somerset, KY

#93478 Jan 2, 2013
ANTH0NY75 wrote:
<quoted text>
He never demanded the use of force? Ever read a fictional book entitled Holy Bible ? www.evilbible.com
Yes I have read it. There are many distortions of the Bible. First, "EvilBible" doesn't cover the Bible in detail, and there are many things out of context. I used to love that site, until I started seeing the lies. Also, much of the violence in the Bible was stuff God warned AGAINST. But God gave us free will. Would you rather he stop us from doing what we choose? No you wouldn't, that is if he exists. Second, much of the customs in the Bible were cultural, not divine.

I swing the question to you. Have you read it? If so, did you understand it's history and culture, not just the spiritual passages?

“Statism is slavery”

Somerset, KY

#93480 Jan 3, 2013
ANTH0NY75 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you read any part of the old testament and still say that he never demanded the use of force? I live in today's real world, the bible is useless... humans have made a lot of progress over 2000 years. The only thing the bible teaches us is that people were weak-minded and lived fear-based lives. In what part of your life today would you possibly need a fictional book that's thousands of years old to function in 2013?
The Old Testament has customs that were held at the time. So I take it you don't understand the Bible nor the culture and history of it.

And to YOU, the Bible is useless. But to many people it's a comfort, or a learning tool, or a guidebook, etc. You don't set the standard for what's useful, I'm sorry to be the first to tell you.

Actually the Bible teaches about personal responsibility. It just so happens many people in the Bible are irresponsible. That's why those stories are told, so we can learn from those mistakes. God warned us of what having a government would mean. God warned us of what not to do in certain situations. He doesn't use force to make us choose one or the other.

And much of the Bible (save for the divine stuff) is non-fiction. lol!

“Statism is slavery”

Somerset, KY

#93482 Jan 3, 2013
ANTH0NY75 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're exactly right. I don't care to understand the culture or the history of the bible anymore than I care about the history and culture of Harry Potter or Dr Suess. I do feel that those people who find comfort and guidance from a book filled with hate could find better, more comforting guide books at any library or bookstore. & Thanx for taking the time to tell me about myself, its feels nice to debate someone on Topix who actually has a brain.~Peace
Your ignorance is amusing, but not blissful. The Bible is not made of hate. In fact, it teaches love, peace, the golden rule, the non-aggression principle, and personal responsibility. Each text of the major religions share this quality. If you don't want to read or understand the Bible, fine, but don't claim you know it. Wouldn't that be like requiring faith to believe its evil since you don't understand it??? lol!

But it is the evil of *individuals* who distort religion. Religion can't physically hurt you, people with or without religion can. Remember, many atheists have committed atrocities, too. But not because they're atheist. Same thing about believers.

Another thing, if a Christian does wrong and you blame religion and not the individual, what does that say about your own morality?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
carlot 10 min Nikkiholman 2
Grace way metals 4 hr Smh 2
C&J auto sales (Jul '09) 7 hr leary 15
DonRick Blevins? 8 hr wondering 2
Listen up people 8 hr crazy talk 3
How is Godfathers Pizza at Shell ? 10 hr Titty Sprinkles 11
Just curious Old Datsun 280Z 10 hr Santa 6

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance