Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,254

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
knucker

Winchester, KY

#92193 Dec 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Tyndale House (where I work) recently acquired one of the 400 facsimiles of the Munich Talmud in a hotly contested New York auction. This is the earliest full manuscript Talmud, penned in approximately 1342. Very few manuscripts of the Talmud survived the ravages of time and persecutions, and they are particularly important because they
contain material censored out of the printed editions, most of which concerned Jesus."
you're posting what was already contained in the original; so what?

you now have a problem with jewish resources confirming some christian history?
smok wawelski

Winchester, KY

#92194 Dec 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice that it says it was pinned 1200 years after the events mentioned?..... Now do you happen to have a link to the Original Writings that were written during the events claimed? Those are what would be Historical Documents during the time frame in question....
the talmud was transmitted orally for centuries.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/14...

The history of the origin of the Talmud is the same as that of the Mishnah—a tradition, transmitted orally for centuries, was finally cast into definite literary form, although from the moment in which the Talmud became the chief subject of study in the academies it had a double existence, and was accordingly, in its final stage, redacted in two different forms.
tiamat

Winchester, KY

#92195 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
McKinsey is a published biblical scholar whose works are consistantly of high quality.
By Dennis McKinsey
The first comment worthy of note is found in Sanhedrin 43a of the Talmud, which states,
On the eve of the Passover Yeshu (The Munich manuscript adds the Nasarean) was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried,'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy. Anyone who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of the Passover.... Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defence could be made? Was he not a Mesith (enticer), concerning whom Scripture says, Neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him (Deut. 13:9)? With Yeshu however it was different, for he was connected with the government (or royalty, i.e., influential). Our Rabbis taught: Yeshu had five disciples, Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni, and Todah.
Although difficult to imagine, this anemic passage is a reference to Jesus, according to some commentators. Reliance upon passages as weak as this can't help but dissipate respect for apologetic scholarship. Obvious inadequacies are:
(1) It says Yeshu, not Jesus.
(2) Even if Yeshu and Jesus were identical words, it was not an unusual name. On the contrary, it appears rather frequently in ancient Jewish literature. Josephus records the following out of 28 high priests in the 107 years from Herod to the destruction of Jerusalem: Jesus, son of Phabet; Jesus, son of Damneus; Jesus, son of Gamaliel; Jesus, son of Sapphias; Jesus son of Thebuthus.
(3) Jesus was crucified, not hanged.
(4) Jesus was not stoned, at least not according to the biblical record.
(5) The New Testament says nothing about a herald going forth for forty days before the execution occurred.
(6) Jesus had no connection with the government. At least nothing within the Gospels would lead one to believe that he lived among royalty or the influential class.
(7) Nowhere in the New Testament was Jesus charged with sorcery or leading Israel astray. The New Testament record tells of three accusations against Jesus:(a) blasphemy,(b) claiming to be the Son of God, and (c) assuming the role of King of the Jews. But he was never charged with practicing sorcery nor of leading Israel astray. Any attempt to apply this part of the Talmud to Jesus is doomed to failure.
http://www.skeptically.org/bible/id4.html
yeshua is the same as jesus. jesus is the anglicized version of yeshua

furthermore all roman crucifixions were hangings, and nailing was not always incorporated into the crucifixion.

http://www.theopedia.com/Crucifixion

the hanging would have sufficed given the requirement of a rebellious son as mentioned in

Galatians 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

which is a reminder of deut 21

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#92197 Dec 4, 2012
smok wawelski wrote:
<quoted text>the talmud was transmitted orally for centuries.
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/14...
The history of the origin of the Talmud is the same as that of the Mishnah—a tradition, transmitted orally for centuries, was finally cast into definite literary form, although from the moment in which the Talmud became the chief subject of study in the academies it had a double existence, and was accordingly, in its final stage, redacted in two different forms.
Let me make my statement again for the hard of understanding....

"Please provide me with One Historic Document from the time of Jesus that mentions him... "

I know it's tough, I know it's annoying ... But A Oral Tradition, A 1300 year later writing, And 50 year later writing... do not "One Historic Document from the time of Jesus" make.... If you would like I can provide you links to graffiti on whose the best gladiator or where to get laid... and all the other things I mentioned but then again I'm not making the claim that a guy can walk on water and turn water to wine while raising the dead, curing the blind and in general being the Super Hero of the time...

There was a Oral Tradition that lasted 1000's (Longer than Christianity) of years that a bunch of giant greek Gods sat on a mountain and tossed lighting bolts on mere mortals.... I don't think that happened either....
jipjika m

Winchester, KY

#92198 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
McKinsey is a published biblical scholar whose works are consistantly of high quality.
By Dennis McKinsey
The first comment worthy of note is found in Sanhedrin 43a of the Talmud, which states,
On the eve of the Passover Yeshu (The Munich manuscript adds the Nasarean) was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried,'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy. Anyone who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of the Passover.... Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defence could be made? Was he not a Mesith (enticer), concerning whom Scripture says, Neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him (Deut. 13:9)? With Yeshu however it was different, for he was connected with the government (or royalty, i.e., influential). Our Rabbis taught: Yeshu had five disciples, Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni, and Todah.
Although difficult to imagine, this anemic passage is a reference to Jesus, according to some commentators. Reliance upon passages as weak as this can't help but dissipate respect for apologetic scholarship. Obvious inadequacies are:
(1) It says Yeshu, not Jesus.
(2) Even if Yeshu and Jesus were identical words, it was not an unusual name. On the contrary, it appears rather frequently in ancient Jewish literature. Josephus records the following out of 28 high priests in the 107 years from Herod to the destruction of Jerusalem: Jesus, son of Phabet; Jesus, son of Damneus; Jesus, son of Gamaliel; Jesus, son of Sapphias; Jesus son of Thebuthus.
(3) Jesus was crucified, not hanged.
(4) Jesus was not stoned, at least not according to the biblical record.
(5) The New Testament says nothing about a herald going forth for forty days before the execution occurred.
(6) Jesus had no connection with the government. At least nothing within the Gospels would lead one to believe that he lived among royalty or the influential class.
(7) Nowhere in the New Testament was Jesus charged with sorcery or leading Israel astray. The New Testament record tells of three accusations against Jesus:(a) blasphemy,(b) claiming to be the Son of God, and (c) assuming the role of King of the Jews. But he was never charged with practicing sorcery nor of leading Israel astray. Any attempt to apply this part of the Talmud to Jesus is doomed to failure.
http://www.skeptically.org/bible/id4.html
addressing number 7

a. claiming to be the son of god was blasphemy, or christ = christened; which meant he was the king because in ancient times the king was annointed on the forehead with oil. this signified the king. in ecclesiastes the term is signified by the use of preacher capitalized.

b. using the Name of names was idolatry because he was claiming to be god

c. already shown in a & b

the sorcery alone could be attributed to raising the dead and/or consorting with spirits.
unktehi

Winchester, KY

#92199 Dec 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide me with One Historic Document from the time of Jesus that mentions him... A document written 50 years after he was said to have lived is not a historic document that verifies he did... What I can say is that on walls I can show you graffiti on where to find a brothel, writing telling us what grains were harvested, who was in power, what sports guys were hits with the crowds.... These right in the very towns Jesus was said to hang out... But with a guy turning wine into water, walking on water, healing the blind and all the other things we are told he did and No One wrote "Jesus was here" on a wall, no one fired a clay pot with his deeds on it... During his Life Time No one made a mention of him or his deeds... It's only in writings dating years after his death we find any writing that even mention him... Now if you have a link to a Document written about his that can be verified to date to his lifetime I would love to see it... And so would every religious scholar on earth...
that isn't unusual given Buddha really didn't write down his own teachings nor did anyone until long after his demise.

his(isha's) own teachings would have been oral as the bible implies.
lagarfljotsormur inn

Winchester, KY

#92200 Dec 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Please provide me with One Historic Document from the time of Jesus that mentions him... "
I know it's tough, I know it's annoying ... But A Oral Tradition, A 1300 year later writing, And 50 year later writing... do not "One Historic Document from the time of Jesus" make.... If you would like I can provide you links to graffiti on whose the best gladiator or where to get laid... and all the other things I mentioned but then again I'm not making the claim that a guy can walk on water and turn water to wine while raising the dead, curing the blind and in general being the Super Hero of the time...
There was a Oral Tradition that lasted 1000's (Longer than Christianity) of years that a bunch of giant greek Gods sat on a mountain and tossed lighting bolts on mere mortals.... I don't think that happened either....
you're attempting to imply that one culture would exactly follow another cultures customs and practices. they wouldn't; also it is well known that in the mystery religions of the west, there is little known information. again oral tradition was the only means of passing on such wisdom. it wasn't for the profane.

so knowing who was who wasn't important in such societies

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#92201 Dec 4, 2012
jipjika m wrote:
<quoted text>addressing number 7
a. claiming to be the son of god was blasphemy, or christ = christened; which meant he was the king because in ancient times the king was annointed on the forehead with oil. this signified the king. in ecclesiastes the term is signified by the use of preacher capitalized.
b. using the Name of names was idolatry because he was claiming to be god
c. already shown in a & b
the sorcery alone could be attributed to raising the dead and/or consorting with spirits.
So, you're still not getting the point, scholars disagree with your claims and the dating is not even close as the coptic greek.

Translation of the Bible From Greek into Coptic (Circa 100 CE – 250 CE)

The copitics did not believe in a trinity but that Jesus was a god or son of god. So do you now believe the trinity doctine is false because the coptic greek outdates your evidence? If so then you need to buy the Jehovah Witness bible.
Hiintcabiit

Winchester, KY

#92202 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're still not getting the point, scholars disagree with your claims and the dating is not even close as the coptic greek.
scholars in all scientific fields disagree, disavow, diss all the time.
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Translation of the Bible From Greek into Coptic (Circa 100 CE – 250 CE)
The copitics did not believe in a trinity but that Jesus was a god or son of god.
would you care to post which coptics?

http://www.coptic.net/prayers/StBasilLiturgy....
O Father and Son and Holy Spirit

even the hindus and the greeks speak of the trinity.

the thrice great hermes for instance.

or maybe you would find this group as pertinent as coptics

http://www.gnosis.org/thomasbook/ch16.html

fyi, i'm not a christian as has been explained to you.
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>So do you now believe the trinity doctine is false because the coptic greek outdates your evidence? If so then you need to buy the Jehovah Witness bible.
the coptics are egyptian. even the egyptian speaks of the Father(osiris), the Mother/Spirit(isis), and horus(the son).
orochi

Winchester, KY

#92203 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
The copitics did not believe in a trinity but that Jesus was a god or son of god. So do you now believe the trinity doctine is false because the coptic greek outdates your evidence? If so then you need to buy the Jehovah Witness bible.
the trinity in coptic orthodoxy.

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Oriental-Ortho...
olobit

Winchester, KY

#92204 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
two parts of the triparte of the trinity

energy cannot be destroyed. it simply changes form

or if you prefer

e = mc2

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#92205 Dec 4, 2012
Hiintcabiit wrote:
<quoted text>scholars in all scientific fields disagree, disavow, diss all the time.
<quoted text>would you care to post which coptics?
http://www.coptic.net/prayers/StBasilLiturgy....
O Father and Son and Holy Spirit
even the hindus and the greeks speak of the trinity.
the thrice great hermes for instance.
or maybe you would find this group as pertinent as coptics
http://www.gnosis.org/thomasbook/ch16.html
fyi, i'm not a christian as has been explained to you.
<quoted text>the coptics are egyptian. even the egyptian speaks of the Father(osiris), the Mother/Spirit(isis), and horus(the son).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arius

The New Catholic Encyclopedia. 1967. New York: McGraw-Hill
Book Co. Vol. 1. Arianism, by V.C. Declercq.

Book Co. Vol. 8. St. Lucian of Antioch, by P. W. Harkins.

Davis S.J., Leo D. 1987. The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787):
Their History and Theology. Wilmington: Michael Glazier, Inc.

Guitton, Jean. 1965. Great Heresies and Church Councils. New York:
Harper and Row.

Herbermann, Charles G., Edward A. Pace, Conde B. Pallen,
Thomas J. Shahan, John J. Wynne, eds. 1913. The Catholic
Encyclopedia. New York: The Encyclopedia Press. Vol. 1,
Arianism, by William Barry.

Encyclopedia. New York: The Encyclopedia Press. Vol. 11,
Councils of Nicaea, by H. Leclercq.

“Wide open till you see God”

Since: Oct 11

Then Brake

#92206 Dec 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, so much for my hero Thor.
misi kinepikw

Winchester, KY

#92207 Dec 4, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arius
Book Co. Vol. 1. Arianism, by V.C. Declercq.
Book Co. Vol. 8. St. Lucian of Antioch, by P. W. Harkins.
Davis S.J., Leo D. 1987. The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787):
Their History and Theology. Wilmington: Michael Glazier, Inc.
Guitton, Jean. 1965. Great Heresies and Church Councils. New York:
Harper and Row.
Encyclopedia. New York: The Encyclopedia Press. Vol. 1,
Arianism, by William Barry.
Encyclopedia. New York: The Encyclopedia Press. Vol. 11,
Councils of Nicaea, by H. Leclercq.
only the latin rites churches generally recognize the council of nicea's counsel and jesus as the son. coptics are not part of the nicean creed/dogma.

the trinity recognizes the offspring, or son/creation, as one part; which would be the form, or what you call the 3rd density actual/real.

however jesus taught that the flesh/form counts for nothing because like the buddhist concept of non-attachment to temporal things, or illusion of form, or in hinduism, maya.

these same metaphors can be understood in the thrice great hermes trimegistus teachings on hermeticism, or hermetic corpus.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92208 Dec 4, 2012
Albert Einstein seems be quoted here a lot, his theories and intelligence,, he was smart, one of the greatest minds of all time. He was not feared by his fellow man or christian and was an atheist. Mark Twain was an atheist, along with Ernest Hemingway. I find it strange that if you tell a christian you are a Jew, you are loved and accepted despite your non belief of the little 9lb 4oz baby jesus,, but if you say you are an atheist,, you will be beaten by the bible belt, shunned, outcast and ridiculed. What's the difference. The christian seems to embrace an idea that any belief, is better than none. Interesting.

Puff, puff, pass.
zimitra

Winchester, KY

#92209 Dec 4, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
Albert Einstein seems be quoted here a lot, his theories and intelligence,, he was smart, one of the greatest minds of all time. He was not feared by his fellow man or christian and was an atheist. Mark Twain was an atheist, along with Ernest Hemingway. I find it strange that if you tell a christian you are a Jew, you are loved and accepted despite your non belief of the little 9lb 4oz baby jesus,, but if you say you are an atheist,, you will be beaten by the bible belt, shunned, outcast and ridiculed. What's the difference. The christian seems to embrace an idea that any belief, is better than none. Interesting.
Puff, puff, pass.
actually one wonders about einstein sometimes given this quote; which is a hint at the third part of the trinity.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/al...

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

the idea is that IT isn't a personal god; nor is it anthropic per se.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#92210 Dec 4, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
Puff, puff, pass.
The jews love and worship wealth almost as much as christians do.
The whole cult is social status and wealth

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#92211 Dec 4, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
Puff, puff, pass.
Just plain goofy ain't it.....
draco

Winchester, KY

#92212 Dec 4, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>The jews love and worship wealth almost as much as christians do.
The whole cult is social status and wealth
you're making a generalized statement; which is untrue based on individuals. this is another xenophobic statement.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#92213 Dec 4, 2012
draco wrote:
<quoted text>you're making a generalized statement; which is untrue based on individuals. this is another xenophobic statement.
It is a true statement. Next you will tell me that the over 13,000,000 christians raping children are just a "few" and I should not judge the whole cult by what a "few" have done?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&am...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bltch be cool................... (May '14) 38 min The Specialist 10
Jessica Napier (Sep '10) 51 min Upward56 121
Barbourville utilities 1 hr Wondering 3
Messers 1 hr David 3
Is Jesus a Zombie? 1 hr Kickingwolf 3
Proud of heather carnes 1 hr justhere 2
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 1 hr Will 53
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 2 hr The real truth 21
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:37 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:37PM
Cincinnati Bengals vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Live Pittsburgh Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 5:05 PM
Ben Roethlisberger has upset stomach, hasn't warmed up
Bleacher Report 5:15 PM
NFL Playoff Bracket 2015: Postseason Format and Super Bowl Odds for All 12 Teams
NBC Sports 6:17 PM
Steelers, Bengals tied at 7 after first quarter - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:36 PM
Dalton picked again, Steelers take advantage