Barbourville is it getting smaller?

Posted in the Barbourville Forum

abc

Somerset, KY

#1 Nov 16, 2012
I went to London few days ago and driving through Corbin I looked at Corbin Trademart shoping center , and went back almost forty years in time It was Roses and not much more Corbin Has grown and london when your in it looks like a small city business spreading out everywhere buildings going up differnt kinds of people with a very wide range of things happening , then when I came back to Barbourville it looked reall like I was heading in to warren camp or Kay Jay 25 miles from the interstate nothing happening here folks its a low level area very political and run by prominate names its a village if Union College was not in barbourville it would be a rest area off ramp all Barbourville is is Walmart that closes at 12,00 midnight, and Mc Donalds and Rite Aid and a few schools and nothing more just a little Cumberland River villa, as fast as London and Corbin is growing Barbourville will begin to disapear more and more a retirement town and a college that is it I dont expect to see it grow in the next 20 years everything will more to Corbin and London , You can go to Lexingotn or Knoxville and you can see where back in the 1920 and 1940, there is small little parts 10 15 miles from down town Knoxville little areas that stoped growing and really I think Barbourville will do the same thing folks will leave here and move to Corbin or London this is a coal mining camp with a walmart.
abc

Somerset, KY

#2 Nov 16, 2012
What is distroying Barbourville is its Location Pineville and Barbourville both will be little pit stops between Tazwell Tennssee and Corbin Ky , New and Old Tazwell Tennssee Middlesboro is nothing wither but more then Barbourville is Pineville is even better then Barbourville Harlan Co is more then Barbourville is even Williamsberg is on the interstate and has a college Barbourville what will bring it to its slow downfall is Location river bed and 40 miles from anywhere on either side we should turn it in to a place like Dolly wood a theme park this place is fadeing fast and I cant think of anything that could make people want to live here just the retirement homes and nice streets and nice mayberry living that is it Barbourville and Barbourville is not going to grow that much in the future not much at all and if you think it is think again its not just a feeling I have...it will not be must differnt in 2030 be the same place just more cracks in the sidewalks and lines on the peoples faces...none the better off.
old time

Tacoma, WA

#3 Nov 17, 2012
Barbourville has been around a long time and will be longer than you or I. It has problems now and it had problems in the past. Most of you don't see the total impact or how much it has really changed because you are in it everyday. If you were to leave for a long time and returned you would get a better view or maybe just a different view. Barbourville has grown. Maybe not the same way or the same pace as surrounding areas but it has. It's a small town (city) but believe that it doesn't have the quantity of crime as the larger ones. I haven't done a per capita comparison but I would bet the percentage would be below national or state levels. All in all it will survive if the rest of the world does.
abc

Somerset, KY

#4 Nov 17, 2012
old time wrote:
Barbourville has been around a long time and will be longer than you or I. It has problems now and it had problems in the past. Most of you don't see the total impact or how much it has really changed because you are in it everyday. If you were to leave for a long time and returned you would get a better view or maybe just a different view. Barbourville has grown. Maybe not the same way or the same pace as surrounding areas but it has. It's a small town (city) but believe that it doesn't have the quantity of crime as the larger ones. I haven't done a per capita comparison but I would bet the percentage would be below national or state levels. All in all it will survive if the rest of the world does.
Barbourville will make a nice little mountain villa for old folks to watch tv and stay at home nothing is never going to come to barbourville, us see whats new a new nurseing home make the grave yard bigger they built some stores to rent space in front of Jacks stop and go and no one is in them you cant sale a diamond ring on the first of the month in a yard sale for $10 people pick it up and say yea that is nice its pretty and put it back down...
joe

Somerset, KY

#5 Nov 18, 2012
i am 30 years old and i moved here in 2004 barbourville has changed alot since then we have papa johns pizza taco bell walgreens new little ceasers building alot of places have open up downtown mcdonalds has a new look a new building people can down us all they want some people are happy with a small town we dont wanna be like corbin or london we are barbourville people need to get over it we dont wanna be like you! god bless you!
yep

Barbourville, KY

#6 Nov 19, 2012
joe wrote:
i am 30 years old and i moved here in 2004 barbourville has changed alot since then we have papa johns pizza taco bell walgreens new little ceasers building alot of places have open up downtown mcdonalds has a new look a new building people can down us all they want some people are happy with a small town we dont wanna be like corbin or london we are barbourville people need to get over it we dont wanna be like you! god bless you!
Actually, we do want to be like corbin and london. We want to prosper and improve this town. Apparently you dont have kids or one would think you would want a better future for yours....without having to move just to make something of themselves(if they chose not to). I seriously doubt that this town was built with the intentions of being a dried up sh*t hole for eternity. And god bless you for being naive. Hopefully something will open your eyes one day.
Hope So

United States

#7 Nov 19, 2012
I hope Barbourville keeps getting smaller and Corbin keeps growing and growing..with drunks and dope heads...then maybe us older folks can be at peace in our little *Villa* Give me a Barbourville Villa any time !!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#8 Nov 19, 2012
Hope So wrote:
I hope Barbourville keeps getting smaller and Corbin keeps growing and growing..with drunks and dope heads...then maybe us older folks can be at peace in our little *Villa* Give me a Barbourville Villa any time !!
Problem is, of course, that is not the way reality works...

What Actually happens to a town following your thoughts is that as the town has less to offer the Best and Brightest leave... And you do not gain the well qualified, educated professional types ... So you are left with a larger and larger percentage of those that have no other ability that to survive than crime and drug trade. You end up with a larger percentage of Unqualified, Uneducated non professionals to fill what positions there are in the market, including police and political positions...

Ask yourself what would cause say a highly qualified, well trained police officer to want to serve in any area? Ask yourself what would make a Professional in any field wish to stay or locate to Any Area... I will bet when asked such people will not say because of the Retirement Village way of life...

If you look at Corbin, London and the other places that are growing at leaps and bounds you will find they do not have a equivalent drunk, dope head and criminal percentage problem we have in Barbourville... As a Percentage of the population they have less that Half to problems we do... In a growing town you may have 1 in 10 acting in a criminal manor where in a shrinking town you will find a 3 or 4 in 10 acting in a criminal manor.

For those that see a few new fast food joints and Walmart as Growth you fail to see the areas that have empty buildings and rotting structures in other areas... Barbourville was once a town that had a trolly system, daily train stops, buss stations, 4star Restaurants, Several manufacturing companies, Plans for a 96 acre business park, an a airport... It was at one time considered one of Kentucky's fastest growing towns with visits from around the nation of well known people.
yep

Barbourville, KY

#9 Nov 19, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
What Actually happens to a town following your thoughts is that as the town has less to offer the Best and Brightest leave... And you do not gain the well qualified, educated professional types ... So you are left with a larger and larger percentage of those that have no other ability that to survive than crime and drug trade. You end up with a larger percentage of Unqualified, Uneducated non professionals to fill what positions there are in the market, including police and political positions...
Ask yourself what would cause say a highly qualified, well trained police officer to want to serve in any area? Ask yourself what would make a Professional in any field wish to stay or locate to Any Area... I will bet when asked such people will not say because of the Retirement Village way of life...
If you look at Corbin, London and the other places that are growing at leaps and bounds you will find they do not have a equivalent drunk, dope head and criminal percentage problem we have in Barbourville... As a Percentage of the population they have less that Half to problems we do... In a growing town you may have 1 in 10 acting in a criminal manor where in a shrinking town you will find a 3 or 4 in 10 acting in a criminal manor.
For those that see a few new fast food joints and Walmart as Growth you fail to see the areas that have empty buildings and rotting structures in other areas... Barbourville was once a town that had a trolly system, daily train stops, buss stations, 4star Restaurants, Several manufacturing companies, Plans for a 96 acre business park, an a airport... It was at one time considered one of Kentucky's fastest growing towns with visits from around the nation of well known people.
What he said!
Wise

Williamsburg, KY

#10 Nov 20, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. Until the people of this city and county realize that we are living in the millennium and vote to make the area wet we will never grow or prosper, period.
john

London, KY

#11 Nov 20, 2012
i thought they was haveing another wet vote ?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#12 Nov 20, 2012
john wrote:
i thought they was haveing another wet vote ?
Not in Barbourville...State law says that a local municipality can only have one initiative vote on an issue within 2 years..... But there is a drive for a District vote for district 2 I think which covers Flat Lick and surroundings but Barbouville cannot vote for another year and a half.
taxed

Williamsburg, KY

#13 Nov 20, 2012
Hope So wrote:
Whent the money for handouts runs out the takers will victimize people like you more and more. The killings are just beginning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min DITCH MITCH 155,472
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min Free Mitch 7,246
Stealing from child's grave 21 min D Rogers 14
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 28 min BIG_STEVIE 81,661
T and L pawn 31 min True Anon 2
Joe and Teresa 33 min I wonder 13
barbourville utitlities ripoff 37 min True Anon 7

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance