Sue jones

United States

#1 May 28, 2013
Is this a cult? Why so secretive? Which church in this area is taking part?
Parent

United States

#2 May 28, 2013
Sue jones wrote:
Is this a cult? Why so secretive? Which church in this area is taking part?
What is this? My daughter has been invited, but I'm afraid to let her go.

“The Human Condition”

Since: Dec 09

Cannon, KY

#3 May 28, 2013
?
AverageJoeSchmo

United States

#4 May 28, 2013
It's actually a popular thing among more contemporary churches and followers of Christ... it's "kind of" like a retreat, but not. Here's a website to describe it. It's not a cult. It's not secretive. Here's the link that describes the bigger picture of what it is... http://emmaus.upperroom.org/about
AverageJoeSchmo

United States

#5 May 28, 2013
"What happens on the Emmaus Weekend?
You will enjoy three days of singing, learning, laughing, worshiping, reflecting, praying and participating in small groups. Discussions center around fifteen talks given by laity and clergy. These talks present the theme of God’s grace, how that grace comes alive in the Christian community and how it is expressed in the world. You’ll also discover how grace is real in your life, how you live a life of grace, and how you bring that grace to others.

You will have the opportunity to participate in the daily celebration of Holy Communion and to understand more fully the body of Christ. You will experience God’s grace through the prayers and acts of anonymous service offered by the Emmaus community. You will leave with an experience of Christian love in action that will equip you for new levels of grace-filled service and leadership."

“The Human Condition”

Since: Dec 09

Cannon, KY

#6 May 28, 2013
AverageJoeSchmo wrote:
It's actually a popular thing among more contemporary churches and followers of Christ... it's "kind of" like a retreat, but not. Here's a website to describe it. It's not a cult. It's not secretive. Here's the link that describes the bigger picture of what it is... http://emmaus.upperroom.org/about
AverageJoeSchmo wrote:
"What happens on the Emmaus Weekend?
You will enjoy three days of singing, learning, laughing, worshiping, reflecting, praying and participating in small groups. Discussions center around fifteen talks given by laity and clergy. These talks present the theme of God’s grace, how that grace comes alive in the Christian community and how it is expressed in the world. You’ll also discover how grace is real in your life, how you live a life of grace, and how you bring that grace to others.
You will have the opportunity to participate in the daily celebration of Holy Communion and to understand more fully the body of Christ. You will experience God’s grace through the prayers and acts of anonymous service offered by the Emmaus community. You will leave with an experience of Christian love in action that will equip you for new levels of grace-filled service and leadership."
Thank you.
a concert

London, KY

#7 May 28, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this? My daughter has been invited, but I'm afraid to let her go.
I heard it is a concert, Finally called, previously known as final call is going to headline the groups. Heard that today at fantasy world parking lot. just saing.
Well

Corbin, KY

#8 May 31, 2013
I had a younger cousin (around 18-19) who actually went to this at galilee bible camp near laurel lake. It was meant to be a few days long or so but she left the first day. She told me that they were playing bad music, dancin in dirty manners with each other very provocatively and even the camp leaders were singing along with the music...

She said she will never attend at this camp again because of this retreat fail.

Since then her mother has called and spoke with the camo director and they informed her that this particular retreat was NOT led by the actual galilee bible camp itself but instead was another church that was hosting the walk.
wondering

Manchester, KY

#9 Jun 2, 2013
I went to laurel lake yesterday and I did see a sign that said Emmaus pointing right on the way
Emmaus Worker

London, KY

#10 Jun 2, 2013
I work there at Emmaus and have attended two of the camps.
They are super fun for teens who would like a closer walk with God.
We don't listen to "bad" music. Everything we play is clean. We did the Wobble a couple of times, Cotton-Eye'd Joe, and had poster parties for three days. It was really nice and fun.
Not a cult, not a concert. Just Christian people who know how to relax and have some fun :)
Oger

London, KY

#11 Jun 2, 2013
Emmaus Worker wrote:
I work there at Emmaus and have attended two of the camps.
They are super fun for teens who would like a closer walk with God.
We don't listen to "bad" music. Everything we play is clean. We did the Wobble a couple of times, Cotton-Eye'd Joe, and had poster parties for three days. It was really nice and fun.
Not a cult, not a concert. Just Christian people who know how to relax and have some fun :)
Oh look, a half-assed attempt at a human parable...lol
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#12 Jun 25, 2013
The biggest problem with the Walk to Emmaus is the large number of cult methods used by the program. Please note I do not call Emmaus a cult but a program using cult methods.

These methods include time control, information control, debating control, love bombing, manipulated experiences and joining an exclusive community. These methods are all used by cults for the purpose of entrapping victims into believing and trusting the teachings and people in the cult. The same thing happens at Emmaus when, as is my experience, pilgrims use descriptions such as "it's awesome" and "it changed my life" and "you have to go".

Emmaus becomes the focus and reason for life changing experiences, not God. If it truly was of God, He would be glorified as "awesome" "life changing" and a "must" but instead it is Emmaus that receives this glory.

The teachings on grace assume an ecumenical stance of sacramental grace where grace is received through communion and baptism. One talk teaches that sin is the obstacle to grace. That is nonsense. The Bible teaches sin is the reason why we need grace. Indeed as sin increases, so grace increases. It is like friction being the reason for oil. If sin is the obstacle to grace, friction is the obstacle to oil. See how little sense it makes?

There is nothing at Emmaus which can give anyone an experience of God which cannot be experienced elsewhere. There is no surprise except manipulated experiences designed to give you an emotional high.
If you are a Christian who knows and loves the Lord, you are a member of His body and there is no more you need.
John

West Helena, AR

#13 Mar 23, 2016
My advice would be very careful about going anywhere near the Walk to Emmaus. The experience I had when my wife attended a waalk has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth for the whole organization.
waterlogged

Monroe, MI

#14 Mar 24, 2016
They used yeast loaf bread for the Lords supper we were pressured into taking it anyway. I say don't go it's very odd if your the kinds person that is private. The food was good singing too..

Since: Apr 15

Location hidden

#16 Mar 24, 2016
waterlogged wrote:
They used yeast loaf bread for the Lords supper we were pressured into taking it anyway. I say don't go it's very odd if your the kinds person that is private. The food was good singing too..
It's interesting you mention yeast bread for the Lord's supper. I suppose it depends on your church as to whether it's acceptable or not. Some may argue modern yeast is not the leaven of the Bible. But not giving people the option proves they don't respect preferences according to personal beliefs. They expect compliance even if you disagree.

Also WTE go further by claiming Emmaus has a "leavening effect on congregations" and that by encouraging WTE members to "band together" in weekly follow up groups or reunion groups congregations can sustain this "leavening effect".(What is Emmaus? by Stephen D Bryant, page 32).

Apart from encouraging people to form a clique in the church, they seem to misunderstand that leaven in the Bible represents sin and corruption. So Biblically, is this not saying that WTE must therefore have a sinful and corrupt effect on the church? The evidence suggests that WTE have unwittingly stated the truth here! I know they mean it in the sense that a small number of WTE pilgrims effects a large influence in a church but the Bible exposes the truth - a little leaven corrupts the whole (Galatians 5:9).
waterlogged

Westland, MI

#17 Mar 24, 2016
Phil GG wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting you mention yeast bread for the Lord's supper. I suppose it depends on your church as to whether it's acceptable or not. Some may argue modern yeast is not the leaven of the Bible. But not giving people the option proves they don't respect preferences according to personal beliefs. They expect compliance even if you disagree.
Also WTE go further by claiming Emmaus has a "leavening effect on congregations" and that by encouraging WTE members to "band together" in weekly follow up groups or reunion groups congregations can sustain this "leavening effect".(What is Emmaus? by Stephen D Bryant, page 32).
Apart from encouraging people to form a clique in the church, they seem to misunderstand that leaven in the Bible represents sin and corruption. So Biblically, is this not saying that WTE must therefore have a sinful and corrupt effect on the church? The evidence suggests that WTE have unwittingly stated the truth here! I know they mean it in the sense that a small number of WTE pilgrims effects a large influence in a church but the Bible exposes the truth - a little leaven corrupts the whole (Galatians 5:9).
It's a bunch of washed up older people who feel dead without influence over others and they protray this upbeat false persona of I've got more than you have but you can have it too kinda bullshit here follow me no come on do it it's fun and joyious.
Don't play with money loving bored other than explained in the Bible bullshit. Read your Bible talk to God like you do you natural dad mom and be real with him. Fake people goofy csmos cons false teachings fake preachers teachers make a living off God not for God. Don't be a fool and waste 3 days bring led by a ego maniac who loves to be in the lime light of man's eyes for God. Bullshit !!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TreadzTireCenter 2 min pee wee 7
Kentucky holds hearing on proposed health overhaul 2 min for non-voters only 1
Jo Ore 4 min Laughing 6
What has the east Barbourville pastor done ? 10 min satisfied 15
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min yabadabado 148,963
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 36 min _Zoey_ 1,406
Female Trump Supporters "break the internet"...WOW 42 min DangIfItAintTrue 5
KCHS principal 55 min Gravy 27
Three liquor stores in bville 3 hr really 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages