famous people from Knox County
Lucy

Waynesburg, KY

#41 Jan 21, 2012
Marilyn Monroe's mother was married first to a Baker. I don't know where he was from. She divorced him and married again to a Mortenson. They soon separated which was two years before Marilyn was born.

On her birth certificate, Marilyn is listed as Norma Jean Mortenson, born in California. But her mother quickly changed it to Baker, because the mom retained that name and possibly didn't want Marilyn to be tagged illegitimate.

Marilyn herself said that her mom showed her a picture of her real father whose name was Charles Gifford. All of this and more is on Wikipedia.

So, it appears that Marilyn doesn't have any blood relatives in Knox county, but, who knows?

Another famous person was Caleb Powers (1869-1932), who was a U.S. Representative. He was also the first Secretary of State.

Powers was accused and convicted of planning the assassination of Governor William Goebel in 1900. He was from the Poplar Creek area and is buried in the Barbourville City Cemetery.

Knox County produced two governors - James Black and Flem Sampson.
friend

Corbin, KY

#42 Jan 21, 2012
Didnt we have Lee Majors from Middlesboro?
jane

United States

#43 Jan 21, 2012
Lee Majors is from Bell County....not Knox
seriously

United States

#44 Jan 21, 2012
The million dollar man is from Middlesboro.. Lee Majors
Just Wondering

Brodhead, KY

#45 Jan 21, 2012
Marilyn Monroe was born on June 1, 1926 in the Los Angeles County Hospital[6] as Norma Jeane Mortenson (soon after changed to Baker), the third child born to Gladys Pearl Baker (ne Monroe) (May 27, 1902 March 11, 1984).
shedevil

London, KY

#46 Jan 22, 2012
TOASTup wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M arilyn_Monroe
ok where on this does it say she's from knox county.My eyesight must be failing me.My mom knew a norma jean baker think they was cousins but i doubt its the same one.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#47 Jan 22, 2012
jane wrote:
Lee Majors is from Bell County....not Knox
born in Michigan, but he was raised in middlesboro

“"Living The Dream"”

Since: Sep 11

It Is What It Is

#48 Jan 22, 2012
shedevil wrote:
<quoted text>ok where on this does it say she's from knox county.My eyesight must be failing me.My mom knew a norma jean baker think they was cousins but i doubt its the same one.
If you go back and read the post I said that I heard this growing up, It wasn't carved in stone!
scanner

United States

#49 Jan 22, 2012
jimmy hinkle,,,,,world famous but prolly not for good reasons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lmao
knoxco

Winchester, KY

#50 Jan 22, 2012
What about Bally Frazier?

“No Appointment Necessary ”

Since: Dec 09

No Referral Needed.

#51 Jan 22, 2012
Answering Machine wrote:
<quoted text>born in Michigan, but he was raised in middlesboro
I never spent much time in school, but I've taught ladies plenty.
Tony

United States

#52 Jan 22, 2012
just google or bing "famous people from kentucky"
research

Murray, KY

#53 Jan 22, 2012
heard that wrote:
<quoted text>So are you thinkMarilyn Monroe? I always heard that she had Knox Co. ties.
norma jean baker-marilyn monroe has got ties in knox co.her aunt lived on the ally baker mills farm on warriors path in flatick.where norma jean played as a child,thier is a cemetery thier where some of the family is buried.enclues her father jasper-netwon baker also her brother.
Clean House

Herndon, VA

#54 Jan 23, 2012
Trish Suhr from "Clean House" on the Style network is from Middlesboro.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trish_Suhr

....."TV appearances include Girls Behaving Badly, Take My Kids, Please, National Lampoon's Funny Money and Gamers and Uncle Eddie's Christmas Vacation. Suhr has also appeared in Sam Raimi's The Quick and the Dead and starred opposite Dane Cook in the indie hit Spiral. Suhr starred in “Marry Me in Mexico: Trish’s Dream Wedding” on Style Network."
Clean House

Herndon, VA

#55 Jan 23, 2012
Celebrities with KENTUCKY roots:
Johnny Depp - born in Owensboro
George Clooney - born in Lexington
Rosemary Clooney - born and raised in Maysville
Tom Cruise - raised in Louisville
Jennifer Carpenter - born in Louisville
Rebecca Gayheart - born on Hazard
Florence Henderson - raised in Owensboro
Josh Hutcherson - born in Union
Ashley Judd - raised in Ashland
Kelly Rutherford - born in Elizabethtown
Diane Sawyers - born and raised in Glasgow
Harry Dean Stanton - born in West Irvine

William Shatner wasn't born or raised here, but seasonally resides in Woodford County.

Surprisingly, there are a lot more than this! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people...
Clean House

Herndon, VA

#56 Jan 23, 2012
A few more that stood out to me:

Charles Manson - raised in Ashland
Larry Birkhead - born and resides in Louisville
Nick Lachey - born in Harlan
Laura Bell Bundy - raised in Lexington
Brian Littrell - born in Lexington
Duncan Hines - born in Bowling Green
Papa John Schnatter - lives in Anchorage
Robert Kirkman - raised in Cynthiana
wowser

London, KY

#57 Jan 26, 2012
TOASTup wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M arilyn_Monroe
Did you even bother to read the link and the references to it? She was born in Los Angeles...NOT Barbourville...and her parents were none from here either.

Try Casey Kasem...The radio DJ Top 40 guy...Wiki lists him as being born in Detroit but it came out of his own mouth on a TV interview that he was born in Corbin....
wowser

London, KY

#58 Jan 26, 2012
http://youtu.be/OB5KV6CRhC0

First white Motown singer, from Corbin

“No Appointment Necessary ”

Since: Dec 09

No Referral Needed.

#59 Jan 26, 2012
The title or subject, is famous people from Knox Co. Not famous people from Kentucky, you idiot's. I am the only real talent to ever come from Knox Co.
wowser

London, KY

#60 Jan 26, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Her grandmother lived in Flat Lick and she came here often as a child.
http://books.google.com/books...
The words of this author were never proven...I remember when this book was first published...Big story for sure but never yet proven to be true in any way, shape or form....Anyone can write a book about a long dead celebrity!!!

As for pix pf Ms Monroe that were supposedly taken in Flat Lick, please post them...Not that it will much matter because anyone can get their hands on Polaroids of her taken in a poor country setting for the right amount of money.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Giving you something to talk about (Sep '08) 43 min Nimbletwig 4
SNAP Beneficiaries May Get More Food in a Box, ... 48 min Nimbletwig 26
Girl in red buick 1 hr Man 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr yawn 172,999
Dee Dole Screws Over Knox County Children ! 4 hr Who 25
John Barger thread removed 4 hr Who What When 10
John Laten Johnson 5 hr Boots 1
Barbourville homewreckers. 5 hr Whywhy why 15
who's everyone voting for judge exe ? 7 hr vote 47

Barbourville Jobs