First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curious

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2011
Does anyone out there home school your children? If so, what are the pros and cons?
homeschooled

London, KY

#2 Oct 17, 2011
I dont know how to answer from the parent side but I was a child who was homeschooled and I will tell you the pros and cons for me. The best thing about being homeschooled for me was that I had one on one attention and that made a difference for me. I graduated with a 4.0 grade point average and have some of the highest testing scores in the state of virginia. I didn't have to deal with a lot of the peer pressure things kids deal with these days in school so I can say I turned out to be a better person because of homeschool. Bad things were that I didnt get to go to prom or highschool foot ball games and things like that. I also didnt get many social skills because I was never around that many people like I would of been if I were in school. I guess the best thing is that if you decide to do it make sure your kids have plenty of time to be social. There are homeschool groups for families that homeschool now so that their kids can socialize with each other and do field trips and things like that. Make sure they get to have some extra curricalar activity like sports or gymnastics something like that. And most of all always give them the choice of going to regular high school if they choose to. I wish that I could have went to high school for a lot of reasons.The rest of the years were ok being homeschooled. Hope this helps
friend

Madisonville, KY

#3 Oct 19, 2011
I just started home schooling my 6th and 7th graders this year and we love it. I have not found a con about it as of yet.

“Looking to grow”

Since: Apr 11

Small town

#4 Oct 19, 2011
Pros....
1: Chance of a better education. I have known of children to get an excellent education, however, I have known some to get none

Cons....
1: Lack of social skills
2: Lack of social pressures. This seems like it would be a good thing, however the child doesn't learn how to handle these pressures until exposed.
Kkkkkk

United States

#5 Jan 1, 2013
How can I began my child home schilling ?
parent

United States

#6 Jan 2, 2013
I'd really love to home school my child but I don't think he'd cooperate with me. I could teach him so much but one area Math!! I'd rather take a beating! He's in second grade and the way they are teaching them is crazy!! It's not adding or subtraction like we were taught its now regrouping and multiplication is a number grid! No memorization!!
crazy

Livingston, KY

#7 Jan 2, 2013
parent wrote:
I'd really love to home school my child but I don't think he'd cooperate with me. I could teach him so much but one area Math!! I'd rather take a beating! He's in second grade and the way they are teaching them is crazy!! It's not adding or subtraction like we were taught its now regrouping and multiplication is a number grid! No memorization!!
If he wont co-operate with you, how in the hell can you expect a school system to get co-operation from him. The teachers would probably rather take a beating than put up with the brat also. Sounds like you have really taught him well. lol

“Unlimited devotion ”

Since: Dec 10

Cannon, KY

#8 Jan 2, 2013
Home Schooling is a better idea than Public schooling.
parent

United States

#9 Jan 2, 2013
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>If he wont co-operate with you, how in the hell can you expect a school system to get co-operation from him. The teachers would probably rather take a beating than put up with the brat also. Sounds like you have really taught him well. lol
Your obnoxious! If you had of understood what you read then you would have gotten the point that I'm NOT good at Math and the way they are teaching it isn't the way I was taught! By saying he won't cooperate with me MEANT he does better at school with other children not JUST ME! Understand now?

“Unlimited devotion ”

Since: Dec 10

Cannon, KY

#10 Jan 2, 2013
Your children are not safe in public school's.
crazy

Livingston, KY

#11 Jan 2, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Your obnoxious! If you had of understood what you read then you would have gotten the point that I'm NOT good at Math and the way they are teaching it isn't the way I was taught! By saying he won't cooperate with me MEANT he does better at school with other children not JUST ME! Understand now?
I understand you stuck your foot in your big mouth and now you are trying to backtrack and blame someone else, same thing you have taught the person who wont co-operate....always blaming something or someone else... If he does better in school than with you then why is your dumb azz wanting to home school him.
super

Dyer, TN

#12 Jan 2, 2013
home school is only as good as the teacher.
parent

United States

#13 Jan 2, 2013
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>I understand you stuck your foot in your big mouth and now you are trying to backtrack and blame someone else, same thing you have taught the person who wont co-operate....always blaming something or someone else... If he does better in school than with you then why is your dumb azz wanting to home school him.
Because of bullies and shootings! Don't blame me for your mis understanding its written plain as day!
crazy

Livingston, KY

#14 Jan 2, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of bullies and shootings! Don't blame me for your mis understanding its written plain as day!
And you think you are intellegent enough to formally educate a child, what a freaking joke.
parent

United States

#15 Jan 2, 2013
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>And you think you are intellegent enough to formally educate a child, what a freaking joke.
Don't see your ass doing any tricks!
crazy

Livingston, KY

#16 Jan 2, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see your ass doing any tricks!
Please continue to show us what your child gets taught with your style of "home " schooling.
crazy

Livingston, KY

#17 Jan 2, 2013
parent wrote:
You could teach him so much?
He wont co-operate with you?
You would rather take a beating?
The way they are teaching him is crazy?

I dont umderstand what you said?

Your dumb azz dont even know what you said.
geezush

United States

#18 Jan 2, 2013
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>Please continue to show us what your child gets taught with your style of "home " schooling.
Just what is your problem with this person and why are you attacking them? Have nothing better to do with your time? Get a hobby and learn how to comprehend what you read! I've read the post and its YOU that obviously need schooled! To Parent pay no attention to the pathetic fool they are just lonely!
crazy

Livingston, KY

#19 Jan 2, 2013
geezush wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what is your problem with this person and why are you attacking them? Have nothing better to do with your time? Get a hobby and learn how to comprehend what you read! I've read the post and its YOU that obviously need schooled! To Parent pay no attention to the pathetic fool they are just lonely!
Talking to yourself now parent? I am not attacking anyone, just tired of dumbazzes like you that destroy kids attitude toward schools and teachers, because you think you are so smart and you are nothing but a dumbazz yourself.
kitty mac

United States

#20 Jan 2, 2013
A friend of mine home schools her kids. She contacted the board and they gave her books and literature but you have a lot of papers to keep up with and turn in. It's on you to record everything. She said that part was a hassle. She said it was def a adjustment from public school to homeschooling for the kids. Her kids stayed pretty sick from being at school. It was like from one thing to another. That has since then stopped though. It's worth looking into with all the crime and hate in this old world. You just never know!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min know 166,372
Ellen Simpson 30 min What now 4
Judge ex removing daniel boone statue ! 31 min Fyi 16
it-pruefungen Configuring Advanced Windows Serv... 1 hr patrickbost1995 1
sap certification C_TFIN52_65 exam it-pruefungen 1 hr patrickbost1995 1
it certification 70-713 Exam 70-713 Test Questions 1 hr patrickbost1995 1
Otis Ball Abner 1 hr Loretta 1
eye dr. corbin out of business ? 3 hr in the know 6
Jerry Wayne Garland property 20 hr boone 9

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages