'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate

Oct 1, 2010 | Posted by: Top Mod2 | Full story: thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com

"Fox News Sunday" is heading to Louisville, Ky. Jack Conway, Kentucky's attorney general and the Democratic candidate for Senate , and Rand Paul, the Republican nominee and son of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, have agreed to a live debate on "Fox News Sunday" on Oct.3 at 9 a.m. (Eastern time).

Comments
128,481 - 128,500 of 151,260 Comments Last updated 8 min ago
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#148919 Feb 10, 2014
let r rip wrote:
A proposed statewide smoking ban at workplaces and in public buildings won bipartisan backing Thursday while breezing through a House committee in a state with historic ties to the tobacco industry.

Supporters said the measure would protect nonsmokers from the dangers of secondhand smoke.

"We're saving lives," Democratic Rep. Susan Westrom of Lexington, the bill's lead sponsor, said afterward. "We're allowing people to have clean air that's breathable."

The measure was approved by the House Health and Welfare Committee on a 10-3 vote.

Opponents included Republican Rep. Tim Moore, who said the bill encroaches on the use of a legal product.

"This is too far-reaching and impacts people's liberty and freedom," he said.

Westrom sponsored similar proposals in recent sessions, but supporters couldn't muster enough support.

She made her latest pitch Thursday alongside Republican Sen. Julie Denton of Louisville, who is leading the push in her chamber for the statewide ban. There's a patchwork of local smoking bans in Kentucky.

Denton acknowledged the challenge of passing sweeping anti-smoking restrictions in a state that typically posts some of the nation's highest smoking rates.

"I know that it's going to take some 'profiles in courage' to get some people to vote on this bill because it may not be popular to smokers back home," Denton said in a Senate speech Wednesday.

Denton acknowledged Thursday that the individual-choice argument will be the toughest obstacle for smoking ban supporters to overcome.

"Your personal choice ends when it infringes upon my health," she told reporters.

House Health and Welfare Committee Chairman Tom Burch said nonsmokers are the clear majority of society, and they shouldn't be put at risk because of an unhealthy habit by others.

"Why should 75 percent of the people suffer because 25 percent of the people want to kill themselves?" the Louisville Democrat asked.

The bill would prohibit smoking in enclosed public places and workplaces. It would apply to bars and restaurants, as well as manufacturing facilities, professional offices and most other workplaces.

Smokers who light up in prohibited places would face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and $250 for subsequent violations.

Business owners failing to comply with the ban would be fined up to $250 the first time and up to $500 for a second violation occurring within a year of the first violation. Their fine would rise to as much as $2,500 for each additional violation in the same year as the first offense.

Kentucky remains the nation's top producer of burley tobacco, an ingredient in many cigarettes, though production has dropped sharply in the past decade.

Gov. Steve Beshear made a pitch for the proposed statewide ban in his State of the Commonwealth speech last month. He laid out a goal of cutting Kentucky's smoking rate by 10 percent by 2018.

"Tobacco use is the single-biggest factor negatively impacting our health," he said in the speech.
......just another step on the road to serfdom.
Lexington Louie

Lexington, KY

#148920 Feb 10, 2014
let r rip wrote:
Gov. Steve Beshear made a pitch for the proposed statewide ban in his State of the Commonwealth speech last month.
"Tobacco use is the single-biggest factor negatively impacting our health," he said in the speech.
I am not a cancer doc, however I do know people who have developed breast cancer in their life and never smoked. Same with brain cancer, we were once told that food dye and coloring in hot dogs caused cancer.

So what's your point?
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#148921 Feb 10, 2014
Or is that the road to perdition??
Jay

Paris, TN

#148922 Feb 10, 2014
Lexington Louie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a cancer doc, however I do know people who have developed breast cancer in their life and never smoked. Same with brain cancer, we were once told that food dye and coloring in hot dogs caused cancer.
So what's your point?

My input on that is, I agree, so do I.

I personally don't care who smokes, if they do or not.....but that dang exhaust, diesel fuel, carbons, factory smog, fake food additives, hydrogenated and trans fats, not to mention McDonald's is killing all of us, so I propose for those who do not smoke, when you go outside, hold your breath, stay home, grow a garden and build a bubble to live in.

Or have the gov't mandate that all cars and airplanes be destroyed and we can all get a horse and buggy....ya think? Good idea? No?

Didn't think so.

8)
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#148923 Feb 10, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>**********

I personally don't care who smokes, if they do or not.....but that dang exhaust, diesel fuel, carbons, factory smog, fake food additives, hydrogenated and trans fats, not to mention McDonald's is killing all of us, so I propose for those who do not smoke, when you go outside, hold your breath, stay home, grow a garden and build a bubble to live in.

Or have the gov't mandate that all cars and airplanes be destroyed and we can all get a horse and buggy....ya think? Good idea? No?

Didn't think so.

8)
Or, make your own choices and allow me the freedom to make mine.
Lexington Louie

Lexington, KY

#148924 Feb 10, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't think so.
8)
Watch a diesel as it's really rolling out that black exhaust plume, it falls back to the ground.
It falls because it's particulate matter, it's not going into the upper atmosphere because it's too heavy. Smog is another matter >ha ha<, it's a combination of all the bad stuff we are doing to our planet, and it is the reason so many are dying of lung related illness
Gardening is a great way to lessen the impact of our carbon footprint, and it's a peaceful constructive thing to do. Horse and buggy? HELL YES! for in and around town anyway, pick up your neighbor they will love it! I would! Take me to the drive through and I'll buy you a good bottle of vino.
Jay

Paris, TN

#148925 Feb 10, 2014
CrackerJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, make your own choices and allow me the freedom to make mine.

Right ON!
Booby trap

Mount Washington, KY

#148926 Feb 10, 2014
right on
WDP

Boise, ID

#148927 Feb 11, 2014
Obobin Hood wrote:
President Obama should use his executive powers to make it a law that men and women use the same public restrooms and do away with gender bias!!!
This would save money and show the homophobes that they don't run things!!!
Democrats ALWAYS know best!!!!!!!
Always vote democrat!!!!
President Obama should make it mandatory for Teabag Trolls to gargle Draino.
Democrats dont always know best .Republicans just make it look that way.
angel

Boise, ID

#148928 Feb 11, 2014
Injudgement wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the way healthcare is currently working. It is the same as if a person has car insurance and someone without insurance wrecks into you. Not only do you pay for your car by Law you would have to pay for theirs.
If America could use the Repub Plan of die if you don't have enough money that would solve the issue. But the Law is everyone must be seen and treated.
The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) signed into Law by R. Reagan 1986.
I think that is part of the issue why Reform has been such a rough go for many on the Right that IS what they beleive:If you have no money die.
Social Darwinism.
Its an unworthy attitude for the United States.
Im glad most people dont feel that way.

“No worries,”

Since: May 12

Lexington, KY

#148929 Feb 11, 2014
angel wrote:
<quoted text>I think that is part of the issue why Reform has been such a rough go for many on the Right that IS what they beleive:If you have no money die.
Social Darwinism.
That is a lie perpetuated by liberal media institutions and so called news agencies.
Nobody wants anyone to die simply because of a difference in political party affiliation.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#148931 Feb 11, 2014
I am so glad president Obama has decided to allow some businesses to be exempt from the Affordable Health Care Act!!!!!!!!

If you don't like it then too bad, because there is nothing you can do about it!!!!!!!!!!

It's really nice to have a President that chooses winners and if you disagree with him then you are the LOSER HA HA!!!!!!!!

GET ON BOARD THE OBAMA TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!

“No worries,”

Lexington, KY

#148933 Feb 11, 2014
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>Then why do you oppose Universal Health care Doofus?
Where and when did I say that, DOOfunny?
For anyone here legally, if their income is at or below an established poverty level give them free medical care.
Fox News Is A Joke

Pikeville, KY

#148937 Feb 11, 2014
ROTFL wrote:
<quoted text>
Get down to the KFC before they throw out all the feathers sicko.
Get down to the Sewer Plant before your Mommy eats all the big chunks turd eater.

“No worries,”

Lexington, KY

#148942 Feb 11, 2014
angel wrote:
<quoted text>I think that is part of the issue why Reform has been such a rough go for many on the Right that IS what they beleive:If you have no money die.
Social Darwinism.
Dorothy Lamour has nothing on Sohpia Petrillo!

"Thanks for the Medicare"
from season 3 ,episode 57 of "The Golden Girls"
titlted "Letter to Gorbachev".

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#148943 Feb 11, 2014
whitehair wrote:
<quoted text>What happens to the individual`s own responsibility? Seems the method of paying for what you want and can use would be deleted. Not only that,, but it gives some the decision making of what medical care one might receive . If that could be avoided, and the individual and Drs. could make the decisions, as now, could be you have something.
Of course the taxes would have to increase to cover from birth til death. Could the U.S. afford it or spin further into debt?
Liberals will never win base on ideology, only by making us slaves again will they have the control they desire and the dictatorship they demand for control.

Location hidden

#148944 Feb 11, 2014
Calvin_Coolish wrote:
<quoted text>You should know
How witty and all by yourself too.

Location hidden

#148945 Feb 11, 2014
Well wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you'd much prefer the people of this country dying in the streets than getting them healthcare, we already know that, thanks!

People under 35 cannot have medicare, there is an age restriction. Care to try again?
Not Medicaid, ask any Mexican.

Location hidden

#148946 Feb 11, 2014
Lexington Louie wrote:
<quoted text>So WND is considered media?
Now I'm confused as hell.

:(
You could always prove them wrong. Didn't think so.

Location hidden

#148947 Feb 11, 2014
Injudgement wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the way healthcare is currently working. It is the same as if a person has car insurance and someone without insurance wrecks into you. Not only do you pay for your car by Law you would have to pay for theirs.
If America could use the Repub Plan of die if you don't have enough money that would solve the issue. But the Law is everyone must be seen and treated.
The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) signed into Law by R. Reagan 1986.
Yawn

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 26 min Mitch 1,438
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 33 min Jenny4 130,529
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 58 min 40ish 3,491
Slush pup 1 hr Been there 1
joann gregory 3 hr Go Figure 4
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr Advertisment 26,226
Flat Lick Auction 5 hr Question 8
Roger Vanover trying to buy perscription medici... (May '12) 8 hr Girl 40
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••