'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Se...

'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate

There are 289184 comments on the thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com story from Oct 1, 2010, titled 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate. In it, thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com reports that:

"Fox News Sunday" is heading to Louisville, Ky. Jack Conway, Kentucky's attorney general and the Democratic candidate for Senate , and Rand Paul, the Republican nominee and son of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, have agreed to a live debate on "Fox News Sunday" on Oct.3 at 9 a.m. (Eastern time).

Join the discussion below, or Read more at thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com.

Since: Oct 11

Murray, KY

#68676 Dec 17, 2012
This is not a one sided issue.
We "MUST" find a way to protect our children and preserve our constitutional rights.

It is absolutely not the time to take to our corners
and be unmovable.
It's the time for ideas...
not for argument but thoughtful input!
For this is far beyond politics...this concerns each of us and must be given the highest priority and solved
with diligence and expediency.
For our children's sake!

It can and must be done!

Since: Dec 11

#68677 Dec 17, 2012
this ones for you wrote:
This is not a one sided issue.
We "MUST" find a way to protect our children and preserve our constitutional rights.
It is absolutely not the time to take to our corners
and be unmovable.
It's the time for ideas...
not for argument but thoughtful input!
For this is far beyond politics...this concerns each of us and must be given the highest priority and solved
with diligence and expediency.
For our children's sake!
It can and must be done!
When a mentally disturbed person takes an action to harm others it's too late for a solution.
The people or caretakers must be more accountable for the actions of the unbalanced. The issue here is not Guns...nor even guns in schools. The issue that needs addressed is Mental Health and awareness of the "Danger Signs". We Don't input from the N.R.A. or Dianne Feinstein...we need a national education PR campaign on mental health and violence by people with mental health issues.
How many know how to obtain a "mental inquest warrant"?
It is the civic duty of all Americans to help the mentally challenged find help and or treatment...when you say "it's not my problem"...or "It's not my brother" you are simply treading water, sooner or later we will all drown in a sea of sorrow...
Some Random Dude

Santa Cruz, CA

#68678 Dec 17, 2012
Nerd Rage wrote:
I've only heard restrict the guns, restrict ammo, restrict certain types of guns, make it harder for people to get guns, limit the number a guns a person can have but I have yet to hear anyone talk about the mental state of these people that go on these rampages. Shouldn't that be the topic? Why is it that every time tragedyís like this occur that there are all these friends or family members that are saying that they KNEW that this person was unstable, psychotic, extreme narcissistic or on medications that made them behave erratic. The conversation should be about the mental state of the person using the gun. Instead this has turned into a gun control conversation.
You have a VERY valid point here. Did you know that up until the 80s, we had public mental hospitals where people like the CT shooter could be committed by relatives if necessary. All a concerned relative would have to do is call the police and the subject would be taken away, evaluated and confined if necessary. Now, it is up to the person or their parents' insurance. If a parent has a kid they know is mentally unstable and has a potential for a violent act such as this, they have NO recourse... They either have to pay for the commitment out of pocket; or if they are LUCKY, they MAY have insurance that covers it. The other option (the most commonly used one) is to wait until they commit a crime (thus creating a victim or victims); at which point they are incarcerated in the regular jail/prison system. Once in the jail/prison system, they are usually abused, taken advantage of and taught how to be REAL criminals. We need to bring back public mental hospitals.

Murray, KY

#68679 Dec 17, 2012
Aristocles son of Ariston wrote:
<quoted text>
When a mentally disturbed person takes an action to harm others it's too late for a solution.
The people or caretakers must be more accountable for the actions of the unbalanced. The issue here is not Guns...nor even guns in schools. The issue that needs addressed is Mental Health and awareness of the "Danger Signs". We Don't input from the N.R.A. or Dianne Feinstein...we need a national education PR campaign on mental health and violence by people with mental health issues.
How many know how to obtain a "mental inquest warrant"?
It is the civic duty of all Americans to help the mentally challenged find help and or treatment...when you say "it's not my problem"...or "It's not my brother" you are simply treading water, sooner or later we will all drown in a sea of sorrow...
I
agree Ari,
That's definitely something that could and should be done.
It would be a good thing to start a MH awareness program.
That's exactly the conversation we as citizens should be having.
Thank you!
tofy

Murray, KY

#68680 Dec 17, 2012
This what it takes in the state of Kentucky to have a persons mental health evaluated.
I suspect not many people are willing to go through
this procedure until they absolutely have to.

To get a mental inquest warrant, go to the county attorneys' office (usually near the courthouse). You will fill out a form and the attorney will sign it. A hearing date will be set, and a summons will be prepared. You will take the summons to the sheriff's office, and the sheriff will deliver it and take the person to a hospital where he/she will be held 72 hours or until the hearing date is available. You must appear at the hearing, and the the person wlll be taken there also. The judge will decide if the person needs to be hospitalized further, usually at a state hospital.
Nerd Rage

Chambersburg, PA

#68681 Dec 17, 2012
Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a VERY valid point here. Did you know that up until the 80s, we had public mental hospitals where people like the CT shooter could be committed by relatives if necessary. All a concerned relative would have to do is call the police and the subject would be taken away, evaluated and confined if necessary. Now, it is up to the person or their parents' insurance. If a parent has a kid they know is mentally unstable and has a potential for a violent act such as this, they have NO recourse... They either have to pay for the commitment out of pocket; or if they are LUCKY, they MAY have insurance that covers it. The other option (the most commonly used one) is to wait until they commit a crime (thus creating a victim or victims); at which point they are incarcerated in the regular jail/prison system. Once in the jail/prison system, they are usually abused, taken advantage of and taught how to be REAL criminals. We need to bring back public mental hospitals.
I totally agree.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#68682 Dec 17, 2012
Nerd Rage wrote:
I've only heard restrict the guns, restrict ammo, restrict certain types of guns, make it harder for people to get guns, limit the number a guns a person can have but I have yet to hear anyone talk about the mental state of these people that go on these rampages. Shouldn't that be the topic? Why is it that every time tragedyís like this occur that there are all these friends or family members that are saying that they KNEW that this person was unstable, psychotic, extreme narcissistic or on medications that made them behave erratic. The conversation should be about the mental state of the person using the gun. Instead this has turned into a gun control conversation.
If ammunition were as regulated as, say, Sudafed:
I.D. required
Legal limit of sales
All sales entered into Federal database
Sales above legal limit triggers investigation by police

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#68684 Dec 17, 2012
this ones for you wrote:
<quoted text>I
agree Ari,
That's definitely something that could and should be done.
It would be a good thing to start a MH awareness program.
That's exactly the conversation we as citizens should be having.
Thank you!
tofy
Ceptin, WingNut GOP doesn't want to allow funding.

#68685 Dec 17, 2012
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
If ammunition were as regulated as, say, Sudafed:
I.D. required
Legal limit of sales
All sales entered into Federal database
Sales above legal limit triggers investigation by police
No real thought behind that...

If it were to become a law...the bad guys would always have more guns AND MORE BULLETS!
Home invasions are on the rise across America, usually multiple bad guys! I'm 6'0 with my boots on, about 210 lbs. I am trained in martial arts and 4 years in Golden gloves program. I will not bet my family on a fight with multiple attackers. I will be buying my ammo in bulk...and reloading presses are affordable also!
anyone can go through a couple hundred rounds in a practice session (especially with a semi-auto). Inside 20 yards I can shoot a quarter every time; that's because I keep in practice, practice takes ammo!

#68687 Dec 17, 2012
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ceptin, WingNut GOP doesn't want to allow funding.
Show your homework?

Oh that's right...you are not interested in solutions, just fanning the flames right?

#68688 Dec 17, 2012
This Morgan Freeman quote is reported to be a fake...and it makes sense because he is so often wrong on issues like this:

As for the Morgan Freeman Newtown quote hoax, the so-called statement from the unidentified source circulating the Internet and Facebook reads as follows:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but hereís why Ö Itís because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine?

Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children?

Because heíll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody Ö CNNís article says that if the body count Ďholds up,í this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another.

Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killerís face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killerís identity? None that Iíve seen yet. Because they donít sell.

So congratulations, sensationalist media, youíve just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next Ö You can help by forgetting you ever read this manís name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.Ē

I wish he had said this...because i agree with it!
ZroX

Tampa, FL

#68692 Dec 17, 2012
Anonymous- Message to Media: Connecticut School Shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
OBAMIES ZOMBIES

Van Nuys, CA

#68693 Dec 17, 2012
this ones for you wrote:
This what it takes in the state of Kentucky to have a persons mental health evaluated.
I suspect not many people are willing to go through
this procedure until they absolutely have to.
To get a mental inquest warrant, go to the county attorneys' office (usually near the courthouse). You will fill out a form and the attorney will sign it. A hearing date will be set, and a summons will be prepared. You will take the summons to the sheriff's office, and the sheriff will deliver it and take the person to a hospital where he/she will be held 72 hours or until the hearing date is available. You must appear at the hearing, and the the person wlll be taken there also. The judge will decide if the person needs to be hospitalized further, usually at a state hospital.
Mental Health is huge problem in U.S. What about all those homeless, so many are in need for some kind of help?
KYMI

Leslie, MI

#68695 Dec 17, 2012
OBAMIES ZOMBIES wrote:
<quoted text>
Mental Health is huge problem in U.S. What about all those homeless, so many are in need for some kind of help?
How can mental health be an issue, I thought we had all kinds of college and university programs on the subject, every kind of medication you can think of, and politicians claiming that guns are the cause of crime,

(sarcastic of course)
GhostofRaygun

Rochester, KY

#68698 Dec 17, 2012
OBAMIES ZOMBIES wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy Crap. You and ALL the Repubs on here bitch about feeding hungry kids with food stamps and NOW you want free mental health for the homeless? What happened to YOUR on YOUR own Party. Can you imagine the outcry from Repubs if Obama suggested what you just did?

“for we are many”

Since: Dec 12

U.S.A.

#68699 Dec 17, 2012
OBAMIES ZOMBIES

Van Nuys, CA

#68701 Dec 17, 2012
KYMI wrote:
<quoted text>
How can mental health be an issue, I thought we had all kinds of college and university programs on the subject, every kind of medication you can think of, and politicians claiming that guns are the cause of crime,
(sarcastic of course)
I know KYMI!
In Europe you have mental institutions and no homeless on the streets. I don't understand why in U.S. mental health is "taboo"...
No insurance needed and government will take care of those institutions. How many mentally challenged people endup in jail? Why, I don't understand. How can you prosecute someone who is clueless what is going on? Not guns, mental illness is real problem in U.S.
OBAMIES ZOMBIES

Van Nuys, CA

#68703 Dec 17, 2012
GhostofRaygun wrote:
<quoted text>Holy Crap. You and ALL the Repubs on here bitch about feeding hungry kids with food stamps and NOW you want free mental health for the homeless? What happened to YOUR on YOUR own Party. Can you imagine the outcry from Repubs if Obama suggested what you just did?
I can tell you're clueless!
KYMI

Leslie, MI

#68704 Dec 17, 2012
OBAMIES ZOMBIES wrote:
<quoted text>
I know KYMI!
In Europe you have mental institutions and no homeless on the streets. I don't understand why in U.S. mental health is "taboo"...
No insurance needed and government will take care of those institutions. How many mentally challenged people endup in jail? Why, I don't understand. How can you prosecute someone who is clueless what is going on? Not guns, mental illness is real problem in U.S.
As evidenced by just about all of the libs on this thread, liberalism causes mental illness, look it up, but don't tell the libs that, they get angry at the truth.

“for we are many”

Since: Dec 12

U.S.A.

#68705 Dec 17, 2012
KYMI wrote:
<quoted text>
As evidenced by just about all of the libs on this thread, liberalism causes mental illness, look it up, but don't tell the libs that, they get angry at the truth.
The truth affects many...denial is a symptom of a vaccination gone wrong!
liberalism is a DISEASE!
Democrats are ZOMBIES!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 min Happy Lesbo 167,792
Thank You Carnell for having Customer Appreciat... 12 min Surveys say 11
Jennifer young and roe Gibson 2 hr Jennifer 9
Brian Carpenter 5 hr Trashy 4
Homes for sale 5 hr Yes 9
Knox County Jailer?? 6 hr Hmm 32
Knox Central Cafeteria Food 10 hr ICorrectedTheProblem 58

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages