gator

London, KY

#21 Aug 18, 2013
more places to have anonymous gay sex with tourists would be good for making truck payments
believer of the truth

Middlesboro, KY

#22 Aug 18, 2013
Mike wrote:
What are you ideas on a roadside attraction that would attract tourists to Knox County? For example: Largest ball of twine, etc.
THE chemists, would figure a way to make meth out of it and still it... A theme park almost always works and the location is just right, as there is plenty of people from out of town that passes through... START out small at first, but always have live entertainment... IT would give the parents something to do will the kids ride the rides... MAYBE a swimming pool and a sports park close by, with atv's, mud racing, drag racing, tractor pulls and BARBOURVILLE is centrally located, between CORBIN, PINEVILLE, MIDDLESBORO, WILLIAMSBURG AND MANCHESTER... IF you think about it, KINGS ISLAND, is out in the middle of farm land...
believer of the truth

Middlesboro, KY

#23 Aug 18, 2013
steal it...
believer of the truth

Middlesboro, KY

#24 Aug 18, 2013
BUILD IT, and they will come...
Snarky Marky

United States

#25 Aug 18, 2013
Forgive me if my comments are a bit snarky.
I find that makes my creative thoughts flow.

Also, a lot of good ideas converge with the Daniel Boone Festival. The festival was originally conceived to be a celebration of our heritage that would support tourism. It has deteriorated. Lets fix it.

Also, we would need decent restaurants and places to sleep. Could we partner with Union to use their dorms in the summer?
Sell the college experience!

1. Roller coaster in a coal mine. There are people that have a mission in life to ride every coaster. They would have to come. Obviously lots of safety issues. We might have to build a fake coal mine.
2. Ride a KY coal train or even a turn of century passenger train. Ride through the scenic hills. Return to spotless hotels and a few more decent restaurants that are in character with our heritage.
3. Canoeing on the Cumberland. Camping sites, canoe rentals, easy access, service to pick up the tourist and bring back to town. I notice that the whitewater rafting at Cumberland Falls has been really advertising lately. We don't have whitewater but we do have gentle water for learning to kayak and canoe. Rafts and beer for the more adventurous. Pull them out before they get close enough to the falls to get hurt.
4. Covered wagon trips. Travel like your ancestors. Build some wagons, travel the DB trail.
5. Working farm dude ranch. Again, live a century or two back for a few years.
6. Massively expand the water park! Highest, fastest, slickest, darkest, brightest, colored water.
What can we do to make people COME FROM ALL OVER to cool off?
7. Shooting competitions.
8. I favor a more "concerts on the green" than an arena full of screaming fans. First, we need a green! Do something with a bandstand and picnic on the lawn, bluegrass, etc. Ignore the screaming teenagers that "want something to do" and cater to the adults that have a paycheck.(The young will have something to do - work). Bluegrass lovers will usually travel. We have local bluegrass pickers to get started. We need a big green spot and a band stand.
9. Capitalize on our hiking/camping/natural beauty. Remember "see Ruby Falls" and "Burma Shave" and "Fat Man's Squeeze"? Pigeon Forge developed themselves out of a small water fall and some rocks that were difficult to squeeze between!
10. Cheerleading competitions. Apparently, some people will pay to attend! Union will probably help! They have a decent gym, etc., and would probably love to have potential students come through.
11. Music camp/band/choir. Some of us have been talking about the local poor support of the high school band. Choir is probably not supported much better. Union has empty dorms in the summer and a music department. Football field and parking lots where marching bands could practice. Attract the kids from out of town. They bring money and can sleep in the dorms and think they are having a good time. Give them a little intro to college. Parents come for final competitions, bringing money! If you think this is a hokey idea, note the intense music opportunities in the woods of Michigan and the amount of money that goes there.
We probably won't attract the world's best musicians but there are motivated second tier students who need a place to go. Whole bands could attend (like we used to do in Louisville) to get practice going before school starts. Have a competition and give trophies for best bands and choirs. Have instruction for non-typical instruments such as mandolins, etc.
11. Knox Co equivalent of Junk Yard Wards! One TV station is already in Corbin and might be willing to stretch into Knox Co if there was something there. We got plenty junk. How about a competition to build something useful out of whatever you dredge out of the river?
More later. Out of Snarky. No intent to steal your ideas, "Q". You are welcome to develop any of mine.
I do not want to hear "we can't, cuz".
Snarky Marky

United States

#26 Aug 18, 2013
A few more thoughts:

1. Sell the college experience. A number of schools already bring in sophs and juniors, and have them take classes in the morning, and work a job like the career they are interested in the afternoon, under the supervision of mentors. I mentored a batch one supper who said they learned that there was no laundry fairy. Good lesson. I also gave them a hands on- hard work tryout of my career. The harder they worked, the more they liked it.

2. Skate park and festival. Big skate park, not a back woods skate park.

3. Mountain skills festivals and/or contest. What do you do when the wheels fall off the wagon.

4. ZIP LINES, orienteering, mountaineering.

5. Scout camp ( I think WV has already invested heavily in this for the Boy Scouts. There are still Girl Scouts, Awana, and the various scout groups that churches are spinning up.

6. BIBLE CAMP - do we still have one? Can it be supersized and partnered up with parent activities while the kids are at camp?

7. We have LOTS of CHURCHES. How about tent revivals (big tents, bigger names). Interchurch contests, etc. Church camp. I drove through a permanent church camp and rec center near Maggie Valley last year and cannot think of when I felt so at peace. Zillions of people all wandering about with "you go", "no you go", so much that it was hard for traffic to move. Could we BUILD A CHURCH CAMP? Over time perhaps?

8. Copy Berea - mountain crafts, displays.

9. Since we have a pharmacy everywhere, how about MOUNTAIN MEDICINE. UK has good stuff in their library! Lets learn it, display it, have shows by those who know it and remember it.(Yella root anyone?).
Snarky Marky

United States

#27 Aug 18, 2013
My most snarky.

Police camp! A place for police forces to go to practice (like they have in GA) without having to travel so far!

Opportunities for teens who want to be policeman and/or fireman or rescue workers.(Well supervised, please. Too much temptation and too much legal liability else).

Study survivalists so they know how to handle them.

My thought is that the police are working here with Unite so often, they could save the time of going to their training facility!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#28 Aug 18, 2013
Snarky Marky wrote:
My most snarky.
Police camp! A place for police forces to go to practice (like they have in GA) without having to travel so far!
Opportunities for teens who want to be policeman and/or fireman or rescue workers.(Well supervised, please. Too much temptation and too much legal liability else).
Study survivalists so they know how to handle them.
My thought is that the police are working here with Unite so often, they could save the time of going to their training facility!
Some really good ideas... And we have a Flood Wall which would be perfect for building a set of stone steps/seating for a out door Concert area at one of the Bends in the wall... With a Back Shell behind a stage area with a grass area in front and the flood wall seating you have a custom built amphitheater....
water

Barbourville, KY

#29 Aug 18, 2013
an all them folks could drink our water
Snarky Marky

United States

#30 Aug 18, 2013
One last idea:

How about a "family reunion center".

My own family has about 100 members living locally and many more around the country.

It is difficult to find a place for a reunion that we can all afford. The usual plan of picnic shelter at the park is risky!

So how about:
Either partner with Union or charter some facilities from them in summer:(Dorm rooms, food service, pool, libary)
Offer reunion service for families rooted in the area. So we could have for example "Mills Reunion Week", "Smith Reunion Week" etc. Union history professors could offer seminars on life for those families in the eras when they were here. What did they do, how did they live, who were the neighbors, who did they know? Get the locals to come and both sides can meet the family. Of course, one can do a lot of this on Ancestry but it is SLOW and TEDIOUS and UNION already has a lot of the research done by their students.

The scenario can vary but my primary thought is that Union especially, or the countsy schools, have facilities big enough to hold LOTS of people, have parking, have kitchens and kitchen staffs. I would suggest meals from old family recipes or at least local recipes.(Beans and cordbread anyone)?

Finally, my last idea:
Heirloom vegetables. Could we get going an organic farm that raises heirloom vegetables, especially tomatoes? I love them and I will go anywhere for a decent tomato. They are hard to find. We still have a few farmers and perhaps enough family knowledge to grow food without pesticides, etc.(We will need fertilizer but perhaps we can use organic). Perhaps a "pick your own" farm? Canning demonstrations?
Snarky Marky

United States

#32 Aug 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Some really good ideas... And we have a Flood Wall which would be perfect for building a set of stone steps/seating for a out door Concert area at one of the Bends in the wall... With a Back Shell behind a stage area with a grass area in front and the flood wall seating you have a custom built amphitheater....
Make it double use: Amphitheater to reinforce and raise the floodwall!(In my day, we were not allowed to tred on the floodwall for fear of damaging it!).

In the meantime, while we build that, the old KC has a floodwall, stadium seating and grass!

I live on the west coast and every community has some sort of outdoor concert series in the summer. People come, vendors sell food, radio station raises a ruckus, Frisbees fly about, kids run about with beach balls, etc. Parents are close, bullies are elsewhere. LOTS OF FUN. We have had Dick Dale, the Surfaris, military bands, and loads of local talent! Size of crowd varies. Usually best of course for name bands or military bands. But people like a chance to gather and mingle and they come out for very small name groups. They also come for music that one would not expect to be their style, I think just to mingle.
Snarky Marky

United States

#33 Aug 18, 2013
One more idea if you just want to suck the tourists off the highway:
How about a restaurant like Dave and Busters.

If you are not familiar with that, it is like Chucky Cheese for grownups! Arcade games, games of skill, decent food, designed for teens and above, clearly designed as somewhere to go for a break and friendly competition. Or perhaps a place to get off the highway, and listen to something other than the kids bickering!
believer of the truth

Middlesboro, KY

#34 Aug 18, 2013
Snarky Marky wrote:
One more idea if you just want to suck the tourists off the highway:
How about a restaurant like Dave and Busters.
If you are not familiar with that, it is like Chucky Cheese for grownups! Arcade games, games of skill, decent food, designed for teens and above, clearly designed as somewhere to go for a break and friendly competition. Or perhaps a place to get off the highway, and listen to something other than the kids bickering!
YOU, have some good ideas there MR. SNARKY... TRAIN RIDES and FAKE COAL MINE would work real good i would think...
Sandy

London, KY

#35 Aug 18, 2013
I like hearing all the wonderful ideas. I hope the tourism bunch has taken notice of this thread and kudos to whoever started it.

It is refreshing to see something on here other than the same ole gossip.
Snarky Marky

United States

#36 Aug 18, 2013
believer of the truth wrote:
<quoted text>YOU, have some good ideas there MR. SNARKY... TRAIN RIDES and FAKE COAL MINE would work real good i would think...
Thanks. And we have
Jimmy Rose practically advertising for us!
KCP

Nancy, KY

#37 Aug 25, 2013
All these comments about restaurants are ridiculous. A small area can not support a big sit down restaurant. You would first have to have an attraction that brings people in and then the supporting businesses like restaurants would follow.
Knox county is a mountainous area with low lying (swamp) ground in the valleys. This area will always be just a small town community that supports other areas.
The man

Barbourville, KY

#38 Aug 25, 2013
Shake a pill bottle at the passerbys

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#39 Aug 25, 2013
KCP wrote:
All these comments about restaurants are ridiculous. A small area can not support a big sit down restaurant. You would first have to have an attraction that brings people in and then the supporting businesses like restaurants would follow.
Knox county is a mountainous area with low lying (swamp) ground in the valleys. This area will always be just a small town community that supports other areas.
I agree that a restaurant, of any kind, by itself would fail or do little more the feed the locals... It would take a more wide ranging approach where there is created a old small town Americana motif for things like restaurants, hotels and shops to play off of....

Barbourville has actually a perfect lay out for such a conversion or a coal/timber/agrarian economy into a tourist based one due to the layout of a town square and proximity to the Cumberland river.. We have History on our side also... Barbourville was at one time considered one of the towns that would grow huge, with industry, trolly service, an airport, train and bus services and 5 star hotels and restaurants...

There have been several other town that have done exactly that an set up historic districts and converted into a tourist based economy that I have ridden through on long rides... Stanton ,Ky has the entire down town area as Historic and it's full of shops, restaurants and the streets were full of out of town and out of state tourists there... and the Main Road was much less traveled than 25 is through here... With the traffic flow we have on 25 we should be inundated with visitors spending money...

“"Living The Dream"”

Since: Sep 11

It Is What It Is

#40 Aug 25, 2013
Write more speeding tickets and take visitors on a tour around the court square and show off all the lawyers offices!!
We have a winner

United States

#41 Aug 25, 2013
an all them folks could drink our water and our moon shine ....................Ive got it,I've got it we can hire Beth Saunders to get the people-tourist to stop in she was good at this in Lexington at Platinum Plus wasn't she, will do that then hire her that's our answer like the olden days set up a brathells in the saloons she can see the cowboys in them there covered wagons you mentioned., call it get a bang for a buck on the Danieal Boon Trail she will do it for a little or no drugs at all she likes the workout the dope gives her energy to see lots an lots of men per day Beth. Use to Bragg that making a$1000 a day was so so easy to laying on her back

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Voter 153,624
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 11 min A POST LEE 5,057
Joe and Teresa 29 min I KNOW 7
this is the year!!! panther fans 39 min Meathead 2
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 51 min Not fooled 33
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 131,038
Just hearing 1 hr thinkiig 1
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 12 hr John boy 21
knox board of ed raising taxes 13 hr sick of taxes 88
A Rat In Knox County 22 hr Genius 8