Marine City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

Judged:

Not enough for the risks they take and the hard work they do .
Miner Man

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

Judged:

It just depends on what company that you may work for and whether you are a surface or underground miner. The larger the company, the better the pay. For example; I worked underground for both ICG and Teco in Hazard and the lowest man (which is normally a beltman) starts out around $19.00 an hour. Equipment operators are around $21.50 an hour and bolters and miner operators are mid 20's. You usually work 60+ hours a week so the overtime money is time and a half to. It's good pay, but a dangerous job. But, once you become a miner it gets in your blood and you never want to do anything else. Hope that helps.
Wow

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

Judged:

Is that true? I need to consider a mining career if so.
Crazy

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

Judged:

Wow wrote:
Is that true? I need to consider a mining career if so.
CONSIDER THE FACT THAT YOU WILL DIE 10-15 YEARS EARLIER THAN YOU NORMALLY WOULD FROM VARIOUS LUNG DISEASE
surface miner

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

I'v been a surface miner since the mid 70's and it's a pretty good livin for knox county. most coal companies are competetive. If you get your m.e.t. certification, which means mine emergency tech. they will usually give you an extra dollar on the hour. Every surface mine has to have 2 m.e.t's. on the job at all times which makes it easier to get hired. right now ,the lowest pay for surface miners is about 14 dollars an hour and goes to around 20 for large companies. It's by far, the safest way to mine. If you watch what you are doing, and have a good deal experence on the equipment you are operating, you will be ok.
Goober

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Well, that sounds like some good paying jobs. Anyone know of any surface coal mines that are hiring at the moment?
surface miner

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

the company I work for is needing a rock truck driver with a m.e.t. certification.
no way

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2010

not enough
jimmy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2010

I work for consol and make almost 24 an hour....time and a half every sat and double time on Sundays.
Miner

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2010

I work in Hazard and am making $23.50 an hour. Not bad money. We average 60+ hours a week, time and a half for anything over 40 and time plus time and a half for any holidays/sundays.
just wondering

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

do coal mines hire women , is it hard for a woman to get a job in a coal mines?
know oh so much

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

just wondering wrote:
do coal mines hire women , is it hard for a woman to get a job in a coal mines?
if you can pass your classes and stand to be in 50 degree dark wet hole and don't have fear of very closed in quarters
Woman Miner

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

You are full of it, It's pretty obvious your not a Miner, first of all, "50 degree's dark wet hole" well underground it's going to be one temp, all year around so that 50 degree's is the same in winter as well as summer as for being "Wet" well that different from mines to mines like them blue gem mines in and around B'ville are "low-top"{Dog-holes} and so if you are in any kind of water like a puddle it will be a miserable experience now up in Harlan and Hazard and around there the mines are high-top around 5 to 8 feet so you walk around instead of crawl-around like you would have to in a Blue-gem Mine, so a little water isn't to bad, now as for being Dark well it's a mine so ya" it's dark but you wear a light so there you go and it's pays good money as for close quarters some mines go for mines under ground it's like another world under there so thats about it ,"Oh ya" Yes they hire Women,If you make you card, I guess you have to have "Coal Dust in your vines" to be a miner so if you think you have what it takes go for it and "Good Luck"
Miner

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

"Woman Miner" you are absolutely correct. The mines do remain a constant temperature all year long, but I guess it is safe to say there is a slight difference depending on what area of the mine you are in. The ventilation shafts will more than likely be colder than the rest from the fans, the face area may be warmer from the mining equipment. It isn't a huge difference though. And, about the height, you're right.. You're larger coal seems will be found in Hazard and surrounding areas. Normally those mines pay better than the small mines around here too.

I'm sure some companies will hire women, however it is extremely hard to get on anywhere as an inexperience miner. Most big companies send you through a physical test as well as through a complete health exam to see if you can withstand the work.

Most only want those with experienced cards. It IS a dangerous job, but I guess no more dangerous than alot of other jobs in the world. Your bigger companies will focus on safety heavily and are heavily inspected meaning you normally have a safe working area.

It is extremely good money. I worked in the mines and made $21.50 an hour my FIRST year working there. Unfortuantely I had to quit due to being in an automobile accident.. But would still be working there today if I could.
know oh so much

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Woman Miner wrote:
You are full of it, It's pretty obvious your not a Miner, first of all, "50 degree's dark wet hole" well underground it's going to be one temp, all year around so that 50 degree's is the same in winter as well as summer as for being "Wet" well that different from mines to mines like them blue gem mines in and around B'ville are "low-top"{Dog-holes} and so if you are in any kind of water like a puddle it will be a miserable experience now up in Harlan and Hazard and around there the mines are high-top around 5 to 8 feet so you walk around instead of crawl-around like you would have to in a Blue-gem Mine, so a little water isn't to bad, now as for being Dark well it's a mine so ya" it's dark but you wear a light so there you go and it's pays good money as for close quarters some mines go for mines under ground it's like another world under there so thats about it ,"Oh ya" Yes they hire Women,If you make you card, I guess you have to have "Coal Dust in your vines" to be a miner so if you think you have what it takes go for it and "Good Luck"
I just said the same thing you did just without sooooooooooo many words. and no I am not a coalminer but, my husband has been for over 15 years and he has worked those (dog-holes) along with big coal as well.
wondering

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Woman Miner wrote:
I am considering going through a class where they pick 10 to 15 students to take underground and then you get your 45 days in,then they more than likely keep you. It's just getting picked thats going to be the hard part. I know I catch a alot of s*it about it but I was raised in a coal mining family and I'm not afraid of hard work. Just really tired of getting paid minium wage every where I go. I have a daughter and what a decent life.
jimmy

Wheeling, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Judged:

I dont know where you are getting this "constant temperature" all year round crap but its not true! Whatever the weather is outside is what it is underground! You being a miner should know that....or are you??? Ive been a coal miner for 5 years now and I wish it was always 50 degrees! This past winter it got dwn to 4 degrees underground. This summer will get up to 90...

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

How much do coal miners make? NOT ENOUGH !!!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

NOT ENOUGH.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 min move on 26,193
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 15 min unknown 1,020
legalize marijuana 40 min ole hippy 6
state police pulling people over on 25e. 1 hr mike 3
Help me out! 1 hr MafiaCustomz 3
whats wrong with Shannon Fergerson? 1 hr na na 3
whats wrong with stephanie Mills from gregory l... 1 hr na na 3
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 9 hr contempt 417
Stivers Center fixes 11 hr smokejumper 54
•••
•••
•••
•••