Lewis Gray, thousands more charges

Lewis Gray, thousands more charges

Posted in the Barbourville Forum

OldDog

Jasper, GA

#1 Apr 5, 2012
http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Pawn_...

Pawn shop operator has thousands more charges filed against him

A pawn shop owner in Barbourville has had thousands of more charges filed against him.

Lewis Gray was in court on April 3 where he was charged with 4,582 misdemeanors. Police said the shop is still open, though many of the charges involve transactions at T and L pawn.

The owner of T & L pawn shop in Barbourville faces thousand of misdemeanor charges for alleged deferred deposit check transactions.

"It is a loan that is issued against a check and then either the check is written for an amount over the loan or you pay an amount over the check face value to pick the check up," said Det. Steve Owens of the Barbourville Police Department.

Owens said Gray was not licensed to do such transactions. Police said four people have come to them so far and been told the interest amounts varied.

“That we are aware of, thirty percent per month to as much as two hundred percent per month,” said Owens.

Under Kentucky law, each violation comes with a $1,000 to $5,000 fine which would then be multiplied by the over 4,500 misdemeanor charges to equal anywhere from $45 million to $200 million. That is in addition to the felony charges involving use of credit cards and computer access after police seized multiple bank cards, checks made out to "cash," computers and other electronic devices in mid-March from the shop. Police advise people to scope out businesses before dealing with lenders of any kind.

“Any time that anyone does any type of cash transaction that they do it at a licensed business that they are aware is licensed,” said Owens.

Officials said the investigation has not ended.

“We do expect more charges in relation to the checks to be filed, but that is still an ongoing investigation as well,” said Owens.
Gray's attorney, Warren Scoville did not want to comment. He will be back in court on April 17 for a preliminary hearing. Police said a judge will decide if the case will be heard by a grand jury for a possible indictment.
ABOUT TIME

Mount Vernon, KY

#2 Apr 5, 2012
LARRY HENSLEY DOES THE SAME
sickened

United States

#4 Apr 5, 2012
nothing will come of this Sheriff had to make a show of good faith Gray will get no time It will disappear
229 kid

Fulton, KY

#5 Apr 5, 2012
how many misdemeaners make a meaner
ghost

United States

#6 Apr 5, 2012
sickened wrote:
nothing will come of this Sheriff had to make a show of good faith Gray will get no time It will disappear
yuuup,sad but true
229 kid

Fulton, KY

#8 Apr 5, 2012
how can they still be opened??
laughing

Pineville, KY

#9 Apr 5, 2012
sickened wrote:
the sheriff diddent have anything to do with it DUMBASS.LOL.
DILLIGAF

Somerset, KY

#10 Apr 5, 2012
laughing wrote:
<quoted text>the sheriff diddent have anything to do with it DUMBASS.LOL.
Makes you wonder doesnt it the sheriff dept went after bill fred for this very same thing but decided to look over lewis gray is it just me or does something not look exactly right about this situation?
wonders

United States

#12 Apr 5, 2012
well i just dont understand how they let the place stay open knowing it will continue be runned same way,i heard scoville was his brother in law also.
Omg

Prattville, AL

#13 Apr 5, 2012
Really
Heard

United States

#14 Apr 6, 2012
I heard on the news on mix 96 he was facing over two hundred million dollars in charges! I bout fell over! One thousand dollars per offense! Whewww! How's he gonna pay that off??
back in the day

London, KY

#16 Apr 7, 2012
it's about time that some one had done about all this bad things going on in barbourville
wishing

Dyer, TN

#17 Apr 14, 2012
can you get your money back after you have paidlewis so many checks off. iam talking 2 thousand dollars since he didnt have license to do this.
229 kid

Fulton, KY

#18 Apr 14, 2012
2 million dollers????
how

Murray, KY

#19 Apr 14, 2012
wishing wrote:
can you get your money back after you have paidlewis so many checks off. iam talking 2 thousand dollars since he didnt have license to do this.
i would if a check is collectable if it was wrote in 2008. that check would be four years old?
tlr

United States

#20 Sep 14, 2012
what was the out come as I am not up on the news. but I am aware who gray is.
sickened wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whatever happened to the Eye Dr. Gregory? 47 min Eye Candy 10
Higher Property Taxes 1 hr Shame 23
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr realistic 151,919
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 1 hr Top 52
Older men Younger women 1 hr KnowsBetter 18
house cleaner wanted 2 hr justin 1
warfield cemetery (Sep '11) 2 hr Poltergeist paran... 10

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages