Marry Hammons for Jailer?
truism

Keavy, KY

#82 Apr 5, 2014
Physical abuse is routine in the knox County jail. I have been to jail a couple times on separate drug related offensives. During this time I was transferred to other facilities for over population issues and classification level. I realize this discredits me with many readers. I can honestly say though that knox County jail is the most unsanitary that I have visited. Some of the conditions can be attributed to over crowding. However, there is no excuse for the abuse. I have seen inmates punched in the face repeated, for running their mouth, while handcuffed behind the back, in a seated position. Look in the news papers and other news media outlets, jail employees are indicted daily through our state and country for such behavior. Mary can't be held solely accountable for every incident. I'm just saying it does happen. Being a deputy jailer is a tough job. Often inmates are going through drug withdrawal not to mention being scared to death. But the authorities are the one's in control of the environment. That being said, not everyone has the temperament for the job. Excessive force is often necessary in that environment but abuse is never justifiable, especially after the inmate has been restrained. Maybe having a more qualified and better trained staff would be a step in the right direction. The jailer is an elected official, like any other public office. They are there to serve the public, which in most cases is a family member of an inmate. These inmates deserve humane treatment. It's up to the justice system to determine guilt or innocents not the staff at a county jail that doesn't have the capacity to house convicted inmates of any kind with the exception of child support offenders.
unreal

London, KY

#83 Apr 5, 2014
split vote wrote:
<quoted text>You may not know the whole story,maybe they tried to detain him but he was fighting them.After all he said he couldn't remember what happen.Or maybe the guy he started with beat the heck out of him an he don't want anyone to know.An maybe hes telling the truth,but whos to know?When it comes election time I don't believe anything anyone says because theres to many people starting crap on people they want out of office.
It really doesnt matter what this kid did or said, employees are only suppose to detain inmates, which means take them down, handcuff them., and remove them from the cell they are in and place them in a different cell. When these people apply for said Job it is the responsibility of the Jailer to make sure these people are and can be proffessional at all times. This means being able to deal with someones mouth reguardless of what they are saying. These people are NOT the Judge and Jury.
vote

London, KY

#84 Apr 5, 2014
I have been told about the mistreatment of prisoners also. I know it should not be easy when you go to prison but I also believe you don't have a right to down or mistreat no-one. The ones doing this need to be fired or maybe they were not qualified in the first place.
nepo

Keavy, KY

#85 Apr 5, 2014
when friends and relatives are hired , they are not held to the standards of anyone else. They can pull the wool over their friend or relatives eyes a little to easy. Time to boot someone who is either to naive or to "slow" to catch on .. or doesnt care
Just a thought

United States

#86 Apr 6, 2014
truism wrote:
Physical abuse is routine in the knox County jail. I have been to jail a couple times on separate drug related offensives. During this time I was transferred to other facilities for over population issues and classification level. I realize this discredits me with many readers. I can honestly say though that knox County jail is the most unsanitary that I have visited. Some of the conditions can be attributed to over crowding. However, there is no excuse for the abuse. I have seen inmates punched in the face repeated, for running their mouth, while handcuffed behind the back, in a seated position. Look in the news papers and other news media outlets, jail employees are indicted daily through our state and country for such behavior. Mary can't be held solely accountable for every incident. I'm just saying it does happen. Being a deputy jailer is a tough job. Often inmates are going through drug withdrawal not to mention being scared to death. But the authorities are the one's in control of the environment. That being said, not everyone has the temperament for the job. Excessive force is often necessary in that environment but abuse is never justifiable, especially after the inmate has been restrained. Maybe having a more qualified and better trained staff would be a step in the right direction. The jailer is an elected official, like any other public office. They are there to serve the public, which in most cases is a family member of an inmate. These inmates deserve humane treatment. It's up to the justice system to determine guilt or innocents not the staff at a county jail that doesn't have the capacity to house convicted inmates of any kind with the exception of child support offenders.
Judging from your post, which was well-written, grammatically correct and punctuated for the most part, you sound like you are an educated person. My question is this, why are you getting arrested for drugs and thrown in jail in the first place? Use your intelligence and get away from that! You obviously are fairly intelligent at least to have been able to write all that! Make something out of yourself! Drugs aren't going to do anything but put you right back in jail in some point or maybe even in the ground. Save yourself and your family a lot of heartache and do something about that.
Why

London, KY

#87 Apr 6, 2014
Why doesnt someone come forth and face these people ? Maybe they're thinking it will cause them more trouble in court ? Curious
Truth

London, KY

#88 Apr 10, 2014
Its because most are afraid of may happen to them later
Vote Elbert Mills

Stanford, KY

#89 Apr 10, 2014
If you want someone that wants to make changes and try to get a new jail so we are not losing money housing inmates elsewhere.
Vote Elbert Mills

Keavy, KY

#90 Apr 10, 2014
If you want to waste your vote.
vote Elbert Mills

Stanford, KY

#91 Apr 10, 2014
Vote Elbert Mills wrote:
If you want to waste your vote.
Could you please elaborate? Why would this waste my vote?
Concerned

Keavy, KY

#92 Apr 10, 2014
Curious Georgia wrote:
The negative comments put on topix about Mary Hammons and the Knox Co. Jail are from people who know nothing about Mary Hammons or the Knox Co. Jail. Probably coming from the opposition. Mary Hammons is the most caring human being I have ever known and I am proud to say she will get my vote in May. Not one comment was true about the jail or Mary Hammons!! Come on let's make this a clean race, no mudslinging, backbiting and lies told!! Make sure what you say is the absolute fact not just heresay!! Like I said before, could come back to bite you!!
Well I don't know much about Mary personally but I do know this for a Fact: a young man was arrested while walking his dog he wasn't intoxicated or anything like that, they just ran his name an said they had a bench warrant on him so they took him in. Put him in a cell an Mary's Dep Homer an another guy named Mike Beat this young man 120lbs left him an later checked an he did not have a bench warrant on him an released him. This guy ended up with Broke Ribs an Bleeding from his Bowls. Now tell me why would a Jailer Miss Hammons let her workers behave in this manor? No matter what the situation was at the time, they didnt have to beat him like that. Don't they have Tazors or pepper spray to control those situations if needed? They shouldn't be allowed to lay a hand on anyone that comes in that Jail! Taze or pepper spray yea I can see that. C'mon now two men on a 120lb skinny guy get real. This is a True story an this is also a family member. This poor guy has nothing an has been treated like a dog. I really feel sorry for him, you just don't know. So I'm hear to let you people know about this an to say that I do not an will not vote for this Lady because if she can't handle her employees then she doesn't need this Job.
lol

Keavy, KY

#93 Apr 11, 2014
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I don't know much about Mary personally but I do know this for a Fact: a young man was arrested while walking his dog he wasn't intoxicated or anything like that, they just ran his name an said they had a bench warrant on him so they took him in. Put him in a cell an Mary's Dep Homer an another guy named Mike Beat this young man 120lbs left him an later checked an he did not have a bench warrant on him an released him. This guy ended up with Broke Ribs an Bleeding from his Bowls. Now tell me why would a Jailer Miss Hammons let her workers behave in this manor? No matter what the situation was at the time, they didnt have to beat him like that. Don't they have Tazors or pepper spray to control those situations if needed? They shouldn't be allowed to lay a hand on anyone that comes in that Jail! Taze or pepper spray yea I can see that. C'mon now two men on a 120lb skinny guy get real. This is a True story an this is also a family member. This poor guy has nothing an has been treated like a dog. I really feel sorry for him, you just don't know. So I'm hear to let you people know about this an to say that I do not an will not vote for this Lady because if she can't handle her employees then she doesn't need this Job.
They are all just innocent angels. I'm sure you believe everything that he told you, because lord knows he would never lie. I bet he asked for a glass of water and they were on him like spider monkeys. Makes perfect sense.
Righton

United States

#94 Apr 11, 2014
She took our jail tracker own, she will not get my vote. She is a big turd and the only reason she put it back up was because she knew she would run for jailer. Don't forget how upset everyone was when she took it down!
Truth

London, KY

#95 Apr 11, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all just innocent angels. I'm sure you believe everything that he told you, because lord knows he would never lie. I bet he asked for a glass of water and they were on him like spider monkeys. Makes perfect sense.
You apparently dont have a clue about what really does go on. Point is they DO NOT have the right to beat on anyone ......PERIOD !
lol

Keavy, KY

#96 Apr 11, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently dont have a clue about what really does go on. Point is they DO NOT have the right to beat on anyone ......PERIOD !
Keep telling yourself that.
hahaha

Keavy, KY

#97 Apr 11, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep telling yourself that.
you just like sticking your finger up inmates butts dont you? You should wear a glove though.
lol

Keavy, KY

#98 Apr 11, 2014
hahaha wrote:
<quoted text>you just like sticking your finger up inmates butts dont you? You should wear a glove though.
Always ;)
lol

Keavy, KY

#99 Apr 11, 2014
I like my own butt fingered too ;)
lol

Keavy, KY

#100 Apr 11, 2014
lol wrote:
I like my own butt fingered too ;)
Call me ;)
stop the bull

Pineville, KY

#101 Apr 11, 2014
first of all im not for hammons for jailer.....an now with my story....I think you people are full of crap,if this many people was getting the hell bet out of them in jail for no reason at all,,someone would be doing something about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min Charmaine 151,816
Where TC go 2 hr know him well 2
Where is Crystal Woolum 2 hr someone 2
Higher Property Taxes 3 hr taxpayer 17
Police: Woman arrested after passing out in car 3 hr Nolan 11
Whatever happened to the Eye Dr. Gregory? 4 hr patient 2
Lay Principal 5 hr Parent 1
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 7 hr kc teacher 42
Older men Younger women 7 hr long cool woman 17

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages