Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
81,341 - 81,360 of 81,560 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Country girl

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

This still going on
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

The Trace, as I understand, runs from Nashville to Natchez. We have gotten on it twice at Tupelo and gone on down to Natchez, then on to "New Awlins." I would do that again, but correct me if I'm wrong. Another time we got on it at Tupelo and headed North/East. Well,.....there were some indian burial mounds and the overnite tavern where Meriwether Lewis (?) lost his life, but other than that,.......we just got off of The Trace somewhat dissappointed. Maybe we didn't go far enough, ya reckon? Maybe we should try again. I really believe that the best times we've had were the trips that were "not planned." Just sorta headed where we wanted and then meandered. But not so, of course, of visiting kin in Montana, California, etc.

(......got my stones laid today for the sidewalk. Maybe tomorrow I'll run the gravel rock along the edges and in between.) "SOMETHING", don't know what, but something overturned the heaviest concrete bird bath in the yard last night, the other two are plastic. Sure,....get ya a drink but Lordy, that thing is heavy to set back up!!!! Been there for 7-8 years and no trouble. Maybe the Purple People Eater flew from the tree and he lit on the.......... LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
The Trace, as I understand, runs from Nashville to Natchez. We have gotten on it twice at Tupelo and gone on down to Natchez, then on to "New Awlins." I would do that again, but correct me if I'm wrong. Another time we got on it at Tupelo and headed North/East. Well,.....there were some indian burial mounds and the overnite tavern where Meriwether Lewis (?) lost his life, but other than that,.......we just got off of The Trace somewhat dissappointed. Maybe we didn't go far enough, ya reckon? Maybe we should try again. I really believe that the best times we've had were the trips that were "not planned." Just sorta headed where we wanted and then meandered. But not so, of course, of visiting kin in Montana, California, etc.
Exactly why I liked the Natchez Trace. There was nothing much to see except trees, deer, and lots of wild turkeys, some of which I had to go even slower as they flew in front of my truck... No tourist traps... So I was definitely not disappointed and my minds eye could imagine I was following Old Hickory's (Andrew Jackson) same route taken from his home in Nashville to "New Awlins" during the War of 1812. All along the route, I kept singing Johnny Horton's "In 1814, we took a little trip.. Along with Colonel Jackson down the Mighty Miss-I-sip.....
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2014

After visiting the tree, my dogs have taken over both recliners and left me here in this hard chair at the keyboard listening to them snore and the rooster crowing from up on the hill with sounds coming through my open window along with the nice morning breezes.

But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill pointing out the same route taken by 2 local ladies over 150 years ago as they rode all night to warn the Union forces that the Rebs had taken over their town.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill
I think we've posted about coffee before, Wolf, but I just can't keep up with your and the other posters desires for the stuff. I tried it 15 years or so back and if I put enough milk and sugar in it, I could handle it but to say I had to have..........Naw! But now, the Belle. She's got her one of those fancy brewers, it'll make a gallon or it'll make one mug, just push the right button, I guess. Oh yeah,.....she will not use just regular sugar. She's gotta have and buys this heavily granulated, dark colored like sorghum, sugar in small packages. It instantly dissolves in something hot but I tried it in iced tea and had to stir it forever! She does not use milk or cream........"YUK". But I'm glad everyone enjoys it.
Another discovery, ya all. Late last night I was surf'n and came across this 2-man team from Kentucky playing flat tops only, no plugs. It appears that they do one-beat-only but man, are they ever SO-O-ooo good. The much older man sings the frame of harmony that I'd like to be able to do. They're called.........."Blind Pig and the Acorn!" What a name but ya all may recognize the real, real, very real old stuff that they do.(way before Johnny Horton.) LOL....I did a search on that title/name and it came originally from Rome, then a stage play in France took it on, then it washed over to America! Try 'em..........

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
After visiting the tree, my dogs have taken over both recliners and left me here in this hard chair at the keyboard listening to them snore and the rooster crowing from up on the hill with sounds coming through my open window along with the nice morning breezes.

But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill pointing out the same route taken by 2 local ladies over 150 years ago as they rode all night to warn the Union forces that the Rebs had taken over their town.
Good morning ! If you still have a donut or two left from yesterday morning, I'll just invite my self over and join you., I love donuts but I probably eat a half dozen in a year, maybe not that. I'm not a coffee drinker but if I'm sitting at the Amish friends house and she offers.... "Yes, I'll take a cup, cream and sugar please". Btw, she makes great coffee on that wood cooking stove!
Now those 2 ladies! I envision 2 genteel ladies, riding side saddle wearing flowing skirts, large beautiful hats and long white gloves. Logic says they were very capable women, strong from hard work and no stranger to danger, with the ability to focus their fear into the task at hand. I hope they had shoes and if it was cold, the right clothes to keep them warm.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>I think we've posted about coffee before, Wolf, but I just can't keep up with your and the other posters desires for the stuff. I tried it 15 years or so back and if I put enough milk and sugar in it, I could handle it but to say I had to have..........Naw! But now, the Belle. She's got her one of those fancy brewers, it'll make a gallon or it'll make one mug, just push the right button, I guess. Oh yeah,.....she will not use just regular sugar. She's gotta have and buys this heavily granulated, dark colored like sorghum, sugar in small packages. It instantly dissolves in something hot but I tried it in iced tea and had to stir it forever! She does not use milk or cream........"YUK". But I'm glad everyone enjoys it.
Another discovery, ya all. Late last night I was surf'n and came across this 2-man team from Kentucky playing flat tops only, no plugs. It appears that they do one-beat-only but man, are they ever SO-O-ooo good. The much older man sings the frame of harmony that I'd like to be able to do. They're called.........."Blind Pig and the Acorn!" What a name but ya all may recognize the real, real, very real old stuff that they do.(way before Johnny Horton.) LOL....I did a search on that title/name and it came originally from Rome, then a stage play in France took it on, then it washed over to America! Try 'em..........
I'm pretty much with you on that coffee business... Lol
I tried to check out that "Blind Pig..." There's one song about the "little white washed chimney" but, unfortunately , the sound on my iPhone has gone kaput ..so, another time....
"Yawn" back to sleep ....
ha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Judged:

Kentucky is a beautiful state with many wonderful people! I lived there many years and would move back if the opportunity presented itself!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Judged:

It must be time for some fencing... 5 post holes since Anne saw the blind pig LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
It must be time for some fencing... 5 post holes since Anne saw the blind pig LOL
Lol. My iPhone finally kicked in the sound and I did listen to the blind pig..
Good stuff...
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that...I woulda spit it everywhere!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

@ Anne......sure glad you liked the two Ky. Pig/Acorn guys. The older one just makes me think of a gruff, hard tempered old fart! But, man, can he ever harmonize.
@ Wolf......say Hoss, here's my thick headed figger'n again but I don't make sense of your fencing/post holes and Blind Pig and the Acorn. Maybe you'll "clue me in."
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Wolf......say Hoss, here's my thick headed figger'n again but I don't make sense of your fencing/post holes and Blind Pig and the Acorn. Maybe you'll "clue me in."
Anne posted about not being able to hear the Blind Pig and the Acorn very well on her IPhone and then there were gaps or "post holes".
used to read here a lot

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

This thread has changed so much. Used to be a lot of talk about the environment, political unrest, weather, preparedness, etc. What happened to Ohio Jeep Girl? Lots of good and interesting info before. Nice chit chat now. Have a nice day everyone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

used to read here a lot wrote:
This thread has changed so much. Used to be a lot of talk about the environment, political unrest, weather, preparedness, etc. What happened to Ohio Jeep Girl? Lots of good and interesting info before. Nice chit chat now. Have a nice day everyone.
Hello! Last we heard OJG is having some health issues and she's in our prayers. Any other news, anyone?
We talked the weather to death this past winter. Snow, snow and more snow. Cold, colder etc...! Lol. Chem trails and more.
As far as "preparedness" : we've discussed having a bucket of corncobs, both red and white, alternative heating.., gardens and chickens and all that. I miss the helpful hints on homemade cleaners, weed killers and the good recipes, for sure! History stories---battles, marches etc, all good! Politics? Not so much. Lol
Feel free to come in and stir the pot in a friendly way!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>Hello! Last we heard OJG is having some health issues and she's in our prayers. Any other news, anyone?
We talked the weather to death this past winter. Snow, snow and more snow. Cold, colder etc...! Lol. Chem trails and more.
As far as "preparedness" : we've discussed having a bucket of corncobs, both red and white, alternative heating.., gardens and chickens and all that. I miss the helpful hints on homemade cleaners, weed killers and the good recipes, for sure! History stories---battles, marches etc, all good! Politics? Not so much. Lol
Feel free to come in and stir the pot in a friendly way!
Lol, should clarify that politics statement : the history stories --battles and marches ---that's a lot of politics from yesteryear. Current politics? Not so much..
Florida woman

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

I don't know who keeps removing this post but I want to thank the Florida woman for bringing out the worst and the best and everybody up here and I don't see what's wrong with thanking somebody.
now

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

you missing the point .the Gators eat all the birds down in them swomp's so that now what happened to the ky bird.here the latest study that was done by the under ground study. them birds eat so many locust it killed them.that was locust yr they died..so their you have it..next..
Tollesboro Guy

Brookville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2014

Judged:

now wrote:
you missing the point .the Gators eat all the birds down in them swomp's so that now what happened to the ky bird.here the latest study that was done by the under ground study. them birds eat so many locust it killed them.that was locust yr they died..so their you have it..next..
Hey now, how's things in Hymen? You mean there was them there bird scientists that went under the ground to study the locust eating birds? Wow! Somebody shoulda told 'em that KY birds spend more time up in the trees than down under the ground in their fallout shelters. Do you gotta go to school longer to be a bird scientist? Like to the 9th or 10th Grade? That's a big investment for around here, lots of tobacco to get in 'bout the time school starts,,,,:-)
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2014

Judged:

Actually, the birds were doing fine until the locusts moved in and started making a bunch of noise. The birds called the cops, the cops visited the locusts, one of the locusts got mouthy and ended up spending the night in jail. All heck broke loose after that. Long story short...the birds have a restraining order and cant return to Ky.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

84 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Mike Duquette 128,890
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 37 min Ari son of Anarchy 146,760
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr Sisterlovenpoofy 1,023
Chris fisher 1 hr Toby 2
Elmer at Creek mart 1 hr Lol 9
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr YAS 26,205
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr pissypoofer 16,124
Marlena cox 2 hr Right 41
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search