Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81784 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97315 May 6, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
See Rock City
Ruby Falls
Oh, Nope, those I remember! Finally one day, now many years ago, we visited both places! Had a great trip too! But the Burma Shave signs I simply don't remember.( maybe I'm just a tad too young). At one point I owned a book with pictures of the Burma Shave signs, pretty interesting!
Glad you stopped by!
Well, AW, how's baby wolf coming along? Keep us updated...
Farmers would allow them to paint their barns with those signs. Free paint job. lol and if you visited, while there they would put a bumper sticker advertising the place on your car, but later they changed that to just stick the sign on with clips but I think they even quit that after about a 1/2 mile down the road there was a stack of crumbled and removed signs. lol Or those new-fangled cars with all those plastic bumpers might have stopped that procedure and Interstate highways surely were the main demise for all the barn signs. So who remembers running boards? Dad once brought a pig home from E. Kentucky in an orange crate tied to one of those and the pig got car sick LOL

Baby Wolf... I have only seen pictures. He lives about 10 hours away but my understanding is that he is healthy and has gone home.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#97316 May 6, 2014
I vaguely remember the Burma Shave signs. I mostly remember those signs you still see sometimes even today that say "Jesus is coming, are you ready". I don't know why, but those used to freak me out a little bit as a kid, hehe. There is an old tale about the man who originally started putting them up across the highways, but I have long forgotten it. He's long dead and gone but even today people have carried on his mission, or so the story goes.

Coffee is on and the house is smelling fantastic! Nothing like the aroma of coffee first thing in the morning.

Talk to all later possibly! Have a blessed day out there!!
Bessie bug

Cincinnati, OH

#97318 May 6, 2014
is an adult beetles, which normally lives in piles of stuff in the home and can be seen flying. they are known to be aggressive that if you rub two together, then they will fight to death.
Tollesboro Guy

Nicholasville, KY

#97319 May 6, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
actually the Natchez Trace is longer than 300 miles, but I dropped off somewhere around 300 miles instead of going on to Natchez.
Beautiful. I used to drive it once a month when we lived in TN. Probably close to 20 years ago when I got my last "speeding ticket" for going 60. I can't be sure but I think it was a Park Ranger that wrote the ticket? Not many, if any, roads left like that in our great country.
Country girl

Berea, KY

#97320 May 6, 2014
This still going on
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97324 May 6, 2014
The Trace, as I understand, runs from Nashville to Natchez. We have gotten on it twice at Tupelo and gone on down to Natchez, then on to "New Awlins." I would do that again, but correct me if I'm wrong. Another time we got on it at Tupelo and headed North/East. Well,.....there were some indian burial mounds and the overnite tavern where Meriwether Lewis (?) lost his life, but other than that,.......we just got off of The Trace somewhat dissappointed. Maybe we didn't go far enough, ya reckon? Maybe we should try again. I really believe that the best times we've had were the trips that were "not planned." Just sorta headed where we wanted and then meandered. But not so, of course, of visiting kin in Montana, California, etc.

(......got my stones laid today for the sidewalk. Maybe tomorrow I'll run the gravel rock along the edges and in between.) "SOMETHING", don't know what, but something overturned the heaviest concrete bird bath in the yard last night, the other two are plastic. Sure,....get ya a drink but Lordy, that thing is heavy to set back up!!!! Been there for 7-8 years and no trouble. Maybe the Purple People Eater flew from the tree and he lit on the.......... LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97325 May 7, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
The Trace, as I understand, runs from Nashville to Natchez. We have gotten on it twice at Tupelo and gone on down to Natchez, then on to "New Awlins." I would do that again, but correct me if I'm wrong. Another time we got on it at Tupelo and headed North/East. Well,.....there were some indian burial mounds and the overnite tavern where Meriwether Lewis (?) lost his life, but other than that,.......we just got off of The Trace somewhat dissappointed. Maybe we didn't go far enough, ya reckon? Maybe we should try again. I really believe that the best times we've had were the trips that were "not planned." Just sorta headed where we wanted and then meandered. But not so, of course, of visiting kin in Montana, California, etc.
Exactly why I liked the Natchez Trace. There was nothing much to see except trees, deer, and lots of wild turkeys, some of which I had to go even slower as they flew in front of my truck... No tourist traps... So I was definitely not disappointed and my minds eye could imagine I was following Old Hickory's (Andrew Jackson) same route taken from his home in Nashville to "New Awlins" during the War of 1812. All along the route, I kept singing Johnny Horton's "In 1814, we took a little trip.. Along with Colonel Jackson down the Mighty Miss-I-sip.....
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97326 May 7, 2014
After visiting the tree, my dogs have taken over both recliners and left me here in this hard chair at the keyboard listening to them snore and the rooster crowing from up on the hill with sounds coming through my open window along with the nice morning breezes.

But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill pointing out the same route taken by 2 local ladies over 150 years ago as they rode all night to warn the Union forces that the Rebs had taken over their town.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97328 May 7, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill
I think we've posted about coffee before, Wolf, but I just can't keep up with your and the other posters desires for the stuff. I tried it 15 years or so back and if I put enough milk and sugar in it, I could handle it but to say I had to have..........Naw! But now, the Belle. She's got her one of those fancy brewers, it'll make a gallon or it'll make one mug, just push the right button, I guess. Oh yeah,.....she will not use just regular sugar. She's gotta have and buys this heavily granulated, dark colored like sorghum, sugar in small packages. It instantly dissolves in something hot but I tried it in iced tea and had to stir it forever! She does not use milk or cream........"YUK". But I'm glad everyone enjoys it.
.
Another discovery, ya all. Late last night I was surf'n and came across this 2-man team from Kentucky playing flat tops only, no plugs. It appears that they do one-beat-only but man, are they ever SO-O-ooo good. The much older man sings the frame of harmony that I'd like to be able to do. They're called.........."Blind Pig and the Acorn!" What a name but ya all may recognize the real, real, very real old stuff that they do.(way before Johnny Horton.) LOL....I did a search on that title/name and it came originally from Rome, then a stage play in France took it on, then it washed over to America! Try 'em..........

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97329 May 8, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
After visiting the tree, my dogs have taken over both recliners and left me here in this hard chair at the keyboard listening to them snore and the rooster crowing from up on the hill with sounds coming through my open window along with the nice morning breezes.

But I have coffee and donuts and waiting for the Creator's daybreak to peek over the hill pointing out the same route taken by 2 local ladies over 150 years ago as they rode all night to warn the Union forces that the Rebs had taken over their town.
Good morning ! If you still have a donut or two left from yesterday morning, I'll just invite my self over and join you., I love donuts but I probably eat a half dozen in a year, maybe not that. I'm not a coffee drinker but if I'm sitting at the Amish friends house and she offers.... "Yes, I'll take a cup, cream and sugar please". Btw, she makes great coffee on that wood cooking stove!
Now those 2 ladies! I envision 2 genteel ladies, riding side saddle wearing flowing skirts, large beautiful hats and long white gloves. Logic says they were very capable women, strong from hard work and no stranger to danger, with the ability to focus their fear into the task at hand. I hope they had shoes and if it was cold, the right clothes to keep them warm.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97330 May 8, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>I think we've posted about coffee before, Wolf, but I just can't keep up with your and the other posters desires for the stuff. I tried it 15 years or so back and if I put enough milk and sugar in it, I could handle it but to say I had to have..........Naw! But now, the Belle. She's got her one of those fancy brewers, it'll make a gallon or it'll make one mug, just push the right button, I guess. Oh yeah,.....she will not use just regular sugar. She's gotta have and buys this heavily granulated, dark colored like sorghum, sugar in small packages. It instantly dissolves in something hot but I tried it in iced tea and had to stir it forever! She does not use milk or cream........"YUK". But I'm glad everyone enjoys it.
.
Another discovery, ya all. Late last night I was surf'n and came across this 2-man team from Kentucky playing flat tops only, no plugs. It appears that they do one-beat-only but man, are they ever SO-O-ooo good. The much older man sings the frame of harmony that I'd like to be able to do. They're called.........."Blind Pig and the Acorn!" What a name but ya all may recognize the real, real, very real old stuff that they do.(way before Johnny Horton.) LOL....I did a search on that title/name and it came originally from Rome, then a stage play in France took it on, then it washed over to America! Try 'em..........
I'm pretty much with you on that coffee business... Lol
I tried to check out that "Blind Pig..." There's one song about the "little white washed chimney" but, unfortunately , the sound on my iPhone has gone kaput ..so, another time....
"Yawn" back to sleep ....
ha

United States

#97336 May 8, 2014
Kentucky is a beautiful state with many wonderful people! I lived there many years and would move back if the opportunity presented itself!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97339 May 8, 2014
It must be time for some fencing... 5 post holes since Anne saw the blind pig LOL

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97340 May 8, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
It must be time for some fencing... 5 post holes since Anne saw the blind pig LOL
Lol. My iPhone finally kicked in the sound and I did listen to the blind pig..
Good stuff...
qwerty

Butler, KY

#97342 May 8, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
It must be time for some fencing... 5 post holes since Anne saw the blind pig LOL
It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that...I woulda spit it everywhere!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97343 May 9, 2014
@ Anne......sure glad you liked the two Ky. Pig/Acorn guys. The older one just makes me think of a gruff, hard tempered old fart! But, man, can he ever harmonize.
.
@ Wolf......say Hoss, here's my thick headed figger'n again but I don't make sense of your fencing/post holes and Blind Pig and the Acorn. Maybe you'll "clue me in."
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97344 May 9, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Wolf......say Hoss, here's my thick headed figger'n again but I don't make sense of your fencing/post holes and Blind Pig and the Acorn. Maybe you'll "clue me in."
Anne posted about not being able to hear the Blind Pig and the Acorn very well on her IPhone and then there were gaps or "post holes".
used to read here a lot

Madisonville, KY

#97348 May 9, 2014
This thread has changed so much. Used to be a lot of talk about the environment, political unrest, weather, preparedness, etc. What happened to Ohio Jeep Girl? Lots of good and interesting info before. Nice chit chat now. Have a nice day everyone.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97349 May 9, 2014
used to read here a lot wrote:
This thread has changed so much. Used to be a lot of talk about the environment, political unrest, weather, preparedness, etc. What happened to Ohio Jeep Girl? Lots of good and interesting info before. Nice chit chat now. Have a nice day everyone.
Hello! Last we heard OJG is having some health issues and she's in our prayers. Any other news, anyone?
We talked the weather to death this past winter. Snow, snow and more snow. Cold, colder etc...! Lol. Chem trails and more.
As far as "preparedness" : we've discussed having a bucket of corncobs, both red and white, alternative heating.., gardens and chickens and all that. I miss the helpful hints on homemade cleaners, weed killers and the good recipes, for sure! History stories---battles, marches etc, all good! Politics? Not so much. Lol
Feel free to come in and stir the pot in a friendly way!

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97350 May 9, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>Hello! Last we heard OJG is having some health issues and she's in our prayers. Any other news, anyone?
We talked the weather to death this past winter. Snow, snow and more snow. Cold, colder etc...! Lol. Chem trails and more.
As far as "preparedness" : we've discussed having a bucket of corncobs, both red and white, alternative heating.., gardens and chickens and all that. I miss the helpful hints on homemade cleaners, weed killers and the good recipes, for sure! History stories---battles, marches etc, all good! Politics? Not so much. Lol
Feel free to come in and stir the pot in a friendly way!
Lol, should clarify that politics statement : the history stories --battles and marches ---that's a lot of politics from yesteryear. Current politics? Not so much..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cindy Carnes and all her job opportunuties (Jun '15) 1 hr The Industry 13
Jenny bucannon mills 2 hr Concerned 5
Larhonda Crawford Carnes 2 hr Psycho 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mickey402 148,129
City school prom sucked 3 hr Dee sprinkles 1
229 black Chevy trailblazer 3 hr Wondering 6
Board Meeting 3 hr New in town 54
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages