Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81765 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

hum

Hazard, KY

#97070 Apr 18, 2014
Good afternoon bird lovas, chicken heads and so on. Another beautiful blessed day for sure. Lots of things to do. Happy Friday to all :)
Hum

Louisville, KY

#97071 Apr 18, 2014
Just got mani pedi. Completely adorable lol. Happy Friday :)
imposter

Busy, KY

#97072 Apr 18, 2014
I'll admit I went out to KFC for supper this evening, I dont do that much but a mans gotta go to a fancy place like that every now and then to see how the other half live. LOL It was good too, even though it was grilled.

I just sat and watched a good flight of fireflies go up. I hope the rest of you folks live where you can see them.

Happy Good Friday folks and praise to the merciful Lord.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97073 Apr 18, 2014
I did some landscaping with a shovel today... 2 trailer loads..whew.. I will wait and go out some place fancy tomorrow evening for supper if I can still move after doing one more load tomorrow.. I just had a gourmet bologna sandwich lol
hum

London, KY

#97074 Apr 18, 2014
KFC, bologna yum :) Today I grabbed DQ also yummy. Salad and water lol

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97075 Apr 18, 2014
Imposter: glad to have you back ! KFC sounds really good about now! I'm starved!
AW: even that bologna sandwich sounds wonderful.
For my quick meals lately I've bought some all beef hotdogs and I dress them out with brown spicy mustard and sweet pickle relish

Wonderful day here! Walked through the woods to a lake and then checked out a creek with a huge amount of huge stone., awesome. Then I did a little stint as judge for a local youth group! Free food!! Yay!! Good times with old friends now I'm spending time at a friends house. It's hard to believe we've known each other for 32 years... Time goes so fast!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97077 Apr 19, 2014
SPRING HAS SPRUNG,........NO DOUBT ABOUT IT..!!!! On the way home the other day about 1 1/2 miles from here, a big ole black snake was wiggling across the road. I got him with the right tires but the guy behind me several hundred feet stopped, backed up and made sure! I have no use for ANY snake.......Period!

Location hidden

#97078 Apr 19, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
SPRING HAS SPRUNG,........NO DOUBT ABOUT IT..!!!! On the way home the other day about 1 1/2 miles from here, a big ole black snake was wiggling across the road. I got him with the right tires but the guy behind me several hundred feet stopped, backed up and made sure! I have no use for ANY snake.......Period!
I'm going to repeat what you just said:
SPRING HAS SPRUNG.......NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...!!!
While moving some flowers from one spot to another, i looked over and there was a 4' black snake almost in the spot I planned to dig. He didnt change his location, so I did. I got the flowers and headed back to the planting spot, moved the grass around with the shovel and there was a small brown stripped snake! Sheesh.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97079 Apr 19, 2014
You folks ought not to disturb those snakes. LOL My dad would steer clear of the snakes, but Mom could grab them by the tail and whiplash them against a fence post or whatever was handy and go right on about her business... One tough lady. lol
imposter

Busy, KY

#97092 Apr 19, 2014
God forgive me but I hate a serpent too, any serpent. I kill them on sight except for the big black ones that eat the poisonous copperheads around here. The cottonmouths are my worst enemy from the snake family.

I like to go wade fishing every year long about the last of May and have ran into plenty of the sneaky things. I'll spend the .50 cents it costs to shoot one, now days we have to make the first shot count with the ridiculous price of ammo, even reloads.

A whole lot of people around here still handle the things during worship. That's risky business if you ask me.
hum

London, KY

#97093 Apr 19, 2014
morning bird lovas and snake haters lol. another beautiful day. yea i cannot deal with any snake. they freak me completely out lol. fishing is fun but i can't bring myself to put those worm on the hook. i just use plastic bait, which is why i never catch any.
imposter

Busy, KY

#97094 Apr 19, 2014
You should tie on a yellow/green rooster tail there hum and watch how those bass tear it up.
Lol

Indianapolis, IN

#97095 Apr 19, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
You folks ought not to disturb those snakes. LOL My dad would steer clear of the snakes, but Mom could grab them by the tail and whiplash them against a fence post or whatever was handy and go right on about her business... One tough lady. lol
That's so funny my grandmother used to tangle with snakes to wasn't scared a bit. She to was a tough lady! Don't make them like that anymore.

“April 27, 10 Year anniversary ”

Since: May 12

All Over This Land

#97096 Apr 19, 2014
Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
That's so funny my grandmother used to tangle with snakes to wasn't scared a bit. She to was a tough lady! Don't make them like that anymore.
I wonder if it is regional? I leave black and green snakes alone to combat the copperheads. Copperheads are sneaky AND mean. They lie in wait and strike without warning. But the big rattlesnakes around here (Lewis County) would rather warn you with a few rattles then disappear. My grandmothers both would encounter rattlesnakes while hoeing weeds in the garden and rattlesnakes were just another strike of the hoe. They never even straightened up, just kept on top of the weeds.

Copperheads seem almost biblical to me. They bite your heel or ankle if they can. Doesn't matter to me, the lightest boots I have are Durango motorcycle boots. All of my cowboy boots are Double H and they have reinforced heels and thick leather and a good arch you can feel in the stirrups. No horseback today, riding in circles on this big danged yard, wife is at work. I did run over a big black snake last year and it killed the engine. It was no fun un-weaving the pieces of that thing from all three blades. You would think a 23HP V-twin would just keep on going but no....

Sweet tea consumed, sweat break over, saw the latest posts and just had to check in. Good to see Imposter and always watch for AW. Really I watch for everybody, it's like a little family.

Back to mowing, maybe done by sundown? The German Shepherd finally got tired of following me and is back on the deck,,,,:-)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#97097 Apr 19, 2014
As a teen, I bought my first gasoline powered push mower and ran over a snake and it slung the bloody mess and wrapped it around my sister's bare leg. Needless to say, after she cleaned her underwear she never came any where close to my mowing. LOL

“The Ending Is....”

Since: Nov 13

Not Here

#97100 Apr 19, 2014
Just stopping in to wish you all a Happy Easter! Been rather busy getting ready for company next weekend. It's going to be so much fun! Some of my other grandchildren are coming to visit. I am so blessed to have 8 grandchildren to spread the love!

I am not to fond of snakes either. I don't like big spiders!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97101 Apr 19, 2014
The only rattler around here are the Cane Brake Rattlers but I've not seen one........YET! Seen a few Copperheads but they were faster than I was,......but then, so is a turtle! Now Cottonmouths, there was this one that kept slithering back and forth, from one end to the other, in the row of Lilly Of The Valley right in front of our front porch. It took me forever to get him out of there but when I did Belle handed me the Marlin .22 and that's all there is to that! But, man did he ever get an attitude! Odd thing is, they're water snakes and the nearest two ponds are just short of 1/2 mile away.......go figure????
Justice

Bowling Green, KY

#97102 Apr 19, 2014
So sad
Yep

Bowling Green, KY

#97103 Apr 19, 2014
So sad

Location hidden

#97104 Apr 20, 2014
First of all, Happy Easter to all!
He is Risen! No sunrise service for me but I'm sure several of you did get up early to attend.

It doesn't seem right to talk about snakes on this same post but...I once was following the creek with my siblings behind me and I heard a rattle like a baby rattle. Up ahead I saw a snake with its tail pointed upward and shaking. I said the dreaded word "SNAKE" , we turned tail and got back to the road pronto! Many ( like 35) years later I mentioned it to dad. He quickly said that there were no such snakes around here. Ha . I wisely didnt argue but a couple years ago i asked the electric lineman who spends a lot of time in snakey places and he said yes there's timber rattlers . Yup. I knew it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 14 min Mike d 137,817
Kim Patterson (Jan '10) 31 min national guard 4
Go fund me scams 1 hr Dopers make me sick 8
Ralph smith 2 hr Cute couple 3
Whose the best unemployment hearing lawyer arou... 3 hr kyman 4
billy gambrel 3 hr neighbor 6
Thompson park splash pad OPEN !!! 10 hr Rollie pollie 8
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]