Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81699 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97077 Apr 19, 2014
SPRING HAS SPRUNG,........NO DOUBT ABOUT IT..!!!! On the way home the other day about 1 1/2 miles from here, a big ole black snake was wiggling across the road. I got him with the right tires but the guy behind me several hundred feet stopped, backed up and made sure! I have no use for ANY snake.......Period!

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97078 Apr 19, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
SPRING HAS SPRUNG,........NO DOUBT ABOUT IT..!!!! On the way home the other day about 1 1/2 miles from here, a big ole black snake was wiggling across the road. I got him with the right tires but the guy behind me several hundred feet stopped, backed up and made sure! I have no use for ANY snake.......Period!
I'm going to repeat what you just said:
SPRING HAS SPRUNG.......NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...!!!
While moving some flowers from one spot to another, i looked over and there was a 4' black snake almost in the spot I planned to dig. He didnt change his location, so I did. I got the flowers and headed back to the planting spot, moved the grass around with the shovel and there was a small brown stripped snake! Sheesh.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97079 Apr 19, 2014
You folks ought not to disturb those snakes. LOL My dad would steer clear of the snakes, but Mom could grab them by the tail and whiplash them against a fence post or whatever was handy and go right on about her business... One tough lady. lol
imposter

Manchester, KY

#97092 Apr 19, 2014
God forgive me but I hate a serpent too, any serpent. I kill them on sight except for the big black ones that eat the poisonous copperheads around here. The cottonmouths are my worst enemy from the snake family.

I like to go wade fishing every year long about the last of May and have ran into plenty of the sneaky things. I'll spend the .50 cents it costs to shoot one, now days we have to make the first shot count with the ridiculous price of ammo, even reloads.

A whole lot of people around here still handle the things during worship. That's risky business if you ask me.
hum

Brodhead, KY

#97093 Apr 19, 2014
morning bird lovas and snake haters lol. another beautiful day. yea i cannot deal with any snake. they freak me completely out lol. fishing is fun but i can't bring myself to put those worm on the hook. i just use plastic bait, which is why i never catch any.
imposter

Manchester, KY

#97094 Apr 19, 2014
You should tie on a yellow/green rooster tail there hum and watch how those bass tear it up.
Lol

Indianapolis, IN

#97095 Apr 19, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
You folks ought not to disturb those snakes. LOL My dad would steer clear of the snakes, but Mom could grab them by the tail and whiplash them against a fence post or whatever was handy and go right on about her business... One tough lady. lol
That's so funny my grandmother used to tangle with snakes to wasn't scared a bit. She to was a tough lady! Don't make them like that anymore.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97097 Apr 19, 2014
As a teen, I bought my first gasoline powered push mower and ran over a snake and it slung the bloody mess and wrapped it around my sister's bare leg. Needless to say, after she cleaned her underwear she never came any where close to my mowing. LOL

bestguest

“The Ending Is....”

Since: Nov 13

Not Here

#97100 Apr 19, 2014
Just stopping in to wish you all a Happy Easter! Been rather busy getting ready for company next weekend. It's going to be so much fun! Some of my other grandchildren are coming to visit. I am so blessed to have 8 grandchildren to spread the love!

I am not to fond of snakes either. I don't like big spiders!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97101 Apr 19, 2014
The only rattler around here are the Cane Brake Rattlers but I've not seen one........YET! Seen a few Copperheads but they were faster than I was,......but then, so is a turtle! Now Cottonmouths, there was this one that kept slithering back and forth, from one end to the other, in the row of Lilly Of The Valley right in front of our front porch. It took me forever to get him out of there but when I did Belle handed me the Marlin .22 and that's all there is to that! But, man did he ever get an attitude! Odd thing is, they're water snakes and the nearest two ponds are just short of 1/2 mile away.......go figure????
Justice

United States

#97102 Apr 19, 2014
So sad
Yep

United States

#97103 Apr 19, 2014
So sad

Location hidden

#97104 Apr 20, 2014
First of all, Happy Easter to all!
He is Risen! No sunrise service for me but I'm sure several of you did get up early to attend.

It doesn't seem right to talk about snakes on this same post but...I once was following the creek with my siblings behind me and I heard a rattle like a baby rattle. Up ahead I saw a snake with its tail pointed upward and shaking. I said the dreaded word "SNAKE" , we turned tail and got back to the road pronto! Many ( like 35) years later I mentioned it to dad. He quickly said that there were no such snakes around here. Ha . I wisely didnt argue but a couple years ago i asked the electric lineman who spends a lot of time in snakey places and he said yes there's timber rattlers . Yup. I knew it!

Location hidden

#97105 Apr 20, 2014
Dad used to catch a lot of snakes, either by hand or using a short pole with a cable noose at the end. He sold them until he found out they were to be killed then he quit supplying snakes. The one snake that caught my attention was a spreading viper! We "played" with that one quite a while! He never mentioned catching water moccasins or the copperheads..just nonpoisonous varieties., One day my better half was with him and Dad stopped the car and picked up a black snake and threw it in the floorboard. Dad calmly drove the last couple miles home while my better half went nuts watching the floor under his feet!! Heeheehee!
Sunshine

United States

#97106 Apr 20, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
Imposter: glad to have you back ! KFC sounds really good about now! I'm starved!
AW: even that bologna sandwich sounds wonderful.
For my quick meals lately I've bought some all beef hotdogs and I dress them out with brown spicy mustard and sweet pickle relish
Wonderful day here! Walked through the woods to a lake and then checked out a creek with a huge amount of huge stone., awesome. Then I did a little stint as judge for a local youth group! Free food!! Yay!! Good times with old friends now I'm spending time at a friends house. It's hard to believe we've known each other for 32 years... Time goes so fast!
Good morning D )
Sunshine

United States

#97107 Apr 20, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
Dad used to catch a lot of snakes, either by hand or using a short pole with a cable noose at the end. He sold them until he found out they were to be killed then he quit supplying snakes. The one snake that caught my attention was a spreading viper! We "played" with that one quite a while! He never mentioned catching water moccasins or the copperheads..just nonpoisonous varieties., One day my better half was with him and Dad stopped the car and picked up a black snake and threw it in the floorboard. Dad calmly drove the last couple miles home while my better half went nuts watching the floor under his feet!! Heeheehee!
lol I've heard that before :) thought it was you that held it until we got home though?

Location hidden

#97108 Apr 20, 2014
Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning D )
....and a good morning to you!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97109 Apr 20, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
First of all, Happy Easter to all!
He is Risen! No sunrise service for me but I'm sure several of you did get up early to attend.
I did not find it necessary to drive into town to some group setting for a sunrise service. I see the sunrise and worship GOD every day in my own ways. Happy Easter to you and everyone..... Louis Armstrong... What a Wonderful World.
noome

Glasgow, KY

#97112 Apr 20, 2014
yes
qwerty

Luck, WI

#97113 Apr 20, 2014
Here comes qwerty cottontail,
Hopping' down the bird thread trail,
Hippity, hoppity,
Miss E is on her way.

Bringing' every girl and boy, baskets full of bird thread joy
Things to make your morning bright as day
He's got fireworks for imposter,
A six pack for anne too,
There's monkey bars for your mommy
And a place to hang out too.

Oh! here comes qwerty cottontail,
Hopping' down the bird thread trail,
Hippity hoppity,
Happy Easter day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 34 min Strel 158,060
Angie bays Taylor 2 hr Lol 5
rats (Dec '10) 3 hr Jim 28
Barber shop. 4 hr james 1
Denis feathers is a pill head 4 hr Nicole 2
Bullock Busted 5 hr o thank u 44
Sheila Lynn Garrison Troutman Edwards 5 hr Middlesboro Man 10
affairs !!!!!!! 7 hr TRUTH 6
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 9 hr Refer 112
Knox st Liquor Going Broke ! 10 hr Creeper 28

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance