Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81765 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne52

United States

#96581 Mar 25, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>I have snow. Winter must be a woman-- has to have the last word.
My grand kids are in your neck of the woods this week. I bet they are fit to be tied about MORE snow as they have had so many snow days from school.
I think the poets were wrong too! "Ole Man Winter"! HA! YOU said that about having the last word ! Yep winter's a woman for sure!
Good morning , Miss E!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#96582 Mar 25, 2014
Morning Anne & Qwerty (et al)
My tulips and spring bulbs are coming up, therefore, I go forward with confidence that Spring is coming!
I think I'll get my flip flops out to inspire me. Have a wonderful day everyone

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96583 Mar 25, 2014
Rise and shine! Spring break has turned into winter break:( a little snow that's not going to stop us from tennis, basketball and swimming today! Then of course some shopping for Easter ideas to make for the relatives!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96584 Mar 25, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
I'm going to the farm store to get some metal posts so we can put fencing around the young fruit trees. maybe it'll Keep the deer from eating the fresh buds. Hope so! Need to hit the pond store to get some chemicals to control some unwanted pond weeds.
I set some yesterday to enclose my tomatoes so the free ranging chickens won't peck holes in the young green ones. In using the sledge hammer, my shoulders and my snow say I need a day off LOL

Since: Jun 13

Athol, Kentucky

#96588 Mar 25, 2014
Just Crazy: Mahi-mahi Fish Beaching Itself

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/haifish2
(South West Australia)

Mahi-mahi or common dolphin fish, is a surface-dwelling ray-finned fish found in off-shore temperate, tropical and subtropical waters worldwide.

WOW - why do the fish want out of the water?
..If we knew the answer to that question, then we would probably know the answer to why so many fish are dying off in masse.
Anne52

United States

#96589 Mar 25, 2014
It is so cold. And so windy. The guys came to hang my barn quilt and then decided it was not a good day to hold a 4x4 kite (aka barn quilt) in this wind--while standing on a ladder . So another day .....
I touched base with the guy that metal detects in my field and he's going to bring back the metal detector and some great retaining wall ideas ( he does patios/ retaining walls/ pools) for my large hand cut stone formerly used for basement walls. Sooo, I'm starting to line up my summer of projects!
Imposter

Clintwood, VA

#96591 Mar 25, 2014
Ohh. This weather makes it impossible to do anything I want. I'm really sick of it. I had things to do next week but now can't. Guess ill have to think of something else.
Anne52

Bowling Green, KY

#96592 Mar 25, 2014
hello, imposter. it is nasty cold outside. guess we're all wanting nice weather. chin up ole buddy
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96598 Mar 25, 2014
JJ wrote:
I seen a bird flying South wat does that mean
Reckon it means his compass is messed up for this time of year. But then,.....reading of ya alls snow and cold, may be the bird's got it right! Probably head'n back to Jamaica say'n, "Come on, baby, light my fire......!"

But,.....I've raked quite a bit and the Belle's Day Lillys are up about 6 - 8 inches. All around along the side of the back roads, the yellow daffodills are all bloomed out. We've got some white ones in the front yard but there's just too much shade. But every year, there are several rows that come up and will bloom. The old people that lived here before us put them out I guess when all the trees were small,.........or not here!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96599 Mar 25, 2014
Hey now,.....gotta tell ya all this, and it's the absolute, so help me truth. I've built nine assorted style blue bird, tit-mouse, chick-a-dee etc. bird houses around here and they are all out of old barn wood or slab wood. One looks like a church, cross and all. But anyway, this one is hanging out in the back yard, looks like a Swiss carondelet. Now,.... I must have a squirrel that's got railroad spikes for teeth. Several years ago he had eaten all around the 1 1/2" bird hole so he could get in it during the winter I guess, so....I redid it last year and put a piece of .032 thick aluminum between the house and the new partial front cover and, durn, if he didn't eat thru that, too! So yesterday,(while my toe is healing) I took it down again and, this time, I put "two" pieces of aluminum in there with the bird hole in it. Well,.....he may knaw it out but it'll take him twice as long. Never thought they could do it.
Anne52

Bowling Green, KY

#96612 Mar 26, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Hey now,.....gotta tell ya all this, and it's the absolute, so help me truth. I've built nine assorted style blue bird, tit-mouse, chick-a-dee etc. bird houses around here and they are all out of old barn wood or slab wood. One looks like a church, cross and all. But anyway, this one is hanging out in the back yard, looks like a Swiss carondelet. Now,.... I must have a squirrel that's got railroad spikes for teeth. Several years ago he had eaten all around the 1 1/2" bird hole so he could get in it during the winter I guess, so....I redid it last year and put a piece of .032 thick aluminum between the house and the new partial front cover and, durn, if he didn't eat thru that, too! So yesterday,(while my toe is healing) I took it down again and, this time, I put "two" pieces of aluminum in there with the bird hole in it. Well,.....he may knaw it out but it'll take him twice as long. Never thought they could do it.
Your birdhouses sound beautiful! You must have several around your yard! Do you make some to sell or are they just for you and your friends/family? Squirrels really haven't been my problem. It's these outside cats. Durn cats think my bluebird houses are their feeding stations. I have a small roll of 18' metal leftover from house construction and it will be perfect for wrapping around the birdhouse post. That should deter them! See, yesterday, a pile of bluebird feathers was found under the porch so with that discovery action -on my part- will be taken.
qwerty

Butler, KY

#96616 Mar 26, 2014
Don't tell anybody!

Location hidden

#96617 Mar 26, 2014
I just saw on the news the new term for divorce is "conscience uncoupling"
I guess divorce needed a PC make-over.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96618 Mar 26, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
I just saw on the news the new term for divorce is "conscience uncoupling"
I guess divorce needed a PC make-over.
Perhaps the term just makes divorce fit better within our disposable-throw-away society.

Location hidden

#96619 Mar 26, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps the term just makes divorce fit better within our disposable-throw-away society.
Our society tends to try to "mold" verbiage to fit our lifestyles.
Have a great day Wolf!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96620 Mar 26, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Our society tends to try to "mold" verbiage to fit our lifestyles.
Have a great day Wolf!
You are correct. People tend to make long term decisions based on knee-jerk reactions or what seems like it would satisfy for the moment. It is the same with the all the high priced vehicles sitting around with For Sale signs, or housing foreclosures, or divorce. People are either unwilling or unable to weather the storms including making the payments... spending the effort..... Do you remember the song that had the lines "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife" LOL
You have a great day also. It appears that is will be warming some later today and tonight should be the last one for the next few nights with temps below freezing. I hope the weather guy is right.
Anne52

Bowling Green, KY

#96622 Mar 26, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Our society tends to try to "mold" verbiage to fit our lifestyles.
Have a great day Wolf!
Hello Miss E! I agree with you on that!! Have a wonderful day!
hello

Ocala, FL

#96625 Mar 26, 2014
Busy day today!!! Grandchildren here for a week so we are out a lot taking them to all the attractions. Went to lego land and then a boat tour. Main plan was to look for shells on the shore but it was a bit to chilly for them to be barefoot in the water so boat tour it was.

@mississippi man...I didn't know those little varmints liked metal! I do see some bite looking marks on that cone but I have not seen any squirrels on it. Thought of you when we were on the boat tour, this man made a lot of birdhouses and put them all out by the river bank. Never seen so many! Spring has sprung here too! Love all the colors in everyones yards.

@Anne....wow, hope you find a safe way to keep the cats away from the birds. We have 2 stray cats that potty in the neighbors flower bed. I have a rock garden and a cactus garden started so I hope they don't find them to potty in. Well the weather is suppose to get to 85 tomorrow and thru the weekend they are staying so we will be on the run. Grandchildren love it here! I will miss them when they leave.

Hey, looks like we have a Imposter among us!!! ;)
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96634 Mar 26, 2014
@ Anne....I don't want my woodshop to turn into any kind of commercial gathering spot. Though I do make anything from wagon wheels (for roses, driveways , etc) to very miniature well hand pumps that went to Montana for flower arrangements, I DO NOT advertise or display. It's so nice to make things for someone that ask politely or even humble, those that do not demand, you know? I cannnot remember all the hobbies that I've gotten into, from leather craft to horse shoeing and they all turned into a vampire's dream! So, to answer your question, "I farm myself out on special occasions." It's gotta be fun and it's gotta be interesting.(and yes, I'm the jack-of-all-trades and the master of none. lol)

Don't forget, as I suggested to @Hello, cheap, light gauge ductwork or the old fashioned stove pipe works great as a squirrel deterrant. With a little effort, I snapped it around one of the feeder 4 x 4 posts. Check it out at your local hdwre. store.(but I still prefer the shotgun)
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96637 Mar 27, 2014
a Good Day to all..... warmer today so I best get some outside chores done before the rains come tonight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Go fund me scams 8 min Clever 1
Mountain Advocate 52 min KLS 4
Thompson park splash pad OPEN !!! 1 hr Smh 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mike flunk it 137,705
computers 3 hr ttwarewolf 7
any bi-guy in barbourville (May '12) 5 hr Darren west 48
lets go to florida 5 hr isolated incident 163
Do you think Kelly Sprinkles qualified for supe... 7 hr Parent 6
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]