Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,719

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
RangersRus

Madisonville, KY

#96405 Mar 12, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
@qwerty: "avoiding work is my first priority". Yep. I'm sooooo good at that! Good enough that its turned into a fault. Lol. "Dodge all your duties in the best way possible". Lol I'm successful at that too! Say, you wouldn't happen to know who I am and post that just for me? Lol
No qwerty may not,but I sure do. You've got your priorities all wrong.
stamp

Tampa, FL

#96406 Mar 12, 2014
star*

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#96407 Mar 13, 2014
RangersRus wrote:
<quoted text> No qwerty may not,but I sure do. You've got your priorities all wrong.
Lol. Maybe, just maybe I do have my priorities all wrong, but I seriously doubt it. And qwerty's horoscope was just as " tongue in cheek" as my answer was. It's all good . Heeheehee
lol

London, KY

#96408 Mar 13, 2014
I don't know about the rest of u but I am sooo sick of snow. Don't get me wrong I do like it, but I'm ready for some sunshine. I would really like to feel some sand under my toes about right now.

Location hidden

#96409 Mar 13, 2014
Princess412 wrote:
Double digits 20's today, getting the old bird fetters clean up and ready to hang in the tree's.
Super cold here, Princess! Those single digits, that snow, then a thin layer of ice over LOTS of mud. What a mess and, "Come on, Spring"! Many years ago we had to light the heating stove in the living room on the 4th of July. So Hopefully this cold foul weather will be out of here by then!

When I got home about dark thirty last night the chicken pen was empty and so was the hen house. The outside cats were circling the enclosure and I thought, oh, no ... I walked around in the pen calling to my ladies and one answered over by the pen fence. Looking up at the top edge of the 6ft fence panel, there all four sat! To entice them to the hen house I plugged in the heat lamp and threw some cracked corn on the ground..no luck....found out that when you try to push a chicken off a "roost" it hangs on for dear life and flaps its wings till it regains its balance on the roost. Lol. Much fun lol. Anyway I finally won and the ladies spent the cold night in their (slightly) heated house with the doors shut and the gate fastened.. All is well. Have a wonderful day!

Location hidden

#96410 Mar 13, 2014
lol wrote:
I don't know about the rest of u but I am sooo sick of snow. Don't get me wrong I do like it, but I'm ready for some sunshine. I would really like to feel some sand under my toes about right now.
Some warm beach sand. Maybe St Thomas? Key West? We can dream a little? Ha. We'll have to dream a lot or buy that plane ticket...
qwerty

Madison, TN

#96411 Mar 13, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Maybe, just maybe I do have my priorities all wrong, but I seriously doubt it. And qwerty's horoscope was just as " tongue in cheek" as my answer was. It's all good . Heeheehee
You hit the nail on the head Anna Rosanna Danna

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96412 Mar 13, 2014
After that plane went missing I might not fly for awhile, was going to take the little ones on there first flight but.. I might end up driving don't know if I want to fly now. With all this technology we can't seem to know where a bird is at?? Warm weather needs to show up soon!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96416 Mar 13, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I got home about dark thirty last night the chicken pen was empty and so was the hen house. The outside cats were circling the enclosure and I thought, oh, no ... I walked around in the pen calling to my ladies and one answered over by the pen fence. Looking up at the top edge of the 6ft fence panel, there all four sat! To entice them to the hen house I plugged in the heat lamp and threw some cracked corn on the ground..no luck....found out that when you try to push a chicken off a "roost" it hangs on for dear life and flaps its wings till it regains its balance on the roost. Lol. Much fun lol. Anyway I finally won and the ladies spent the cold night in their (slightly) heated house with the doors shut and the gate fastened.. All is well. Have a wonderful day!
This morning before leaving for work, I was tending the chickens before daylight. One hen instead of spending the night on the normal roost, had decided to sit on top of the little chick cage. No doubt sitting closer to the light directly under her shining into the cage to keep the chicks warm. When I opened the cage door to feed and water the chicks, it awakened her abruptly and she was not happy about having to fly off the roost so early LOL Could that be where the old adage of " flying off the handle" came from? hehehe
I did not work 12 hours today like Tuesday and Wednesday. I got caught up on my project with just 8 hours put in today. Tomorrow starts something totally different. Not bad for an old man. LOL
lol

Clintwood, VA

#96420 Mar 13, 2014
This is so much more than birds and snow. It goes deeper than that. It's about life and love and all the stuff in between.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96421 Mar 13, 2014
una farter wrote:
dont be a-dissin on da dead bird thread ,..or ole wolf breath will getcha
Your location.........Arlington Heights,.....isn't that a sub of Chicago? You know anything (good) about Joliet, ILL?
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96422 Mar 14, 2014
Undesirable varmits are unlikely to sneak up to my chicken house or to the old Homestead in the moonlight; I am Dog sitting a German that keeps wanting to go out to patrol the perimeter. Good thing I have coffee LOL (and donuts)
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96423 Mar 14, 2014
* German Shepherd
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96424 Mar 14, 2014
@MM.. Your last post reminded me of Elwood and Jake

Location hidden

#96426 Mar 14, 2014
Hope everyone had a wonderful day ! Lol is right about this being a whole lot more than the original topic...and that's all right by me.
AW, you've put in a lot of hard working hours lately. I know you get tired but I bet it feels good to be physically active after being in the house all winter. There's some projects around here I need to finish up and I need to get some chemicals for the pond.. Cat tails are starting to show up and I don't want them to take over.
Has your heat loving hen moved back to the regular roost? I enjoy watching my little flock! I was concerned that little episode with the 6 foot fence would throw the egg laying off, but everything seems normal!:-)

Location hidden

#96427 Mar 14, 2014
@MM: while sitting at the Chicago airport my location came up Arlington heights Ill. But that isn't necessarily the truth. While I was in northern PA my location took a notion to show as Orlando FL. Haha. Silly iPhone . Sometimes hawaii would show up as Somewhere, California . Sooo, I think it's just where the wind blows you lol
I'm kinda like princess in that I think I'll not be flying around for a little while.
Wreck update: insurance company totaled my car. That's okay. They were more than fair
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96428 Mar 14, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
Hope everyone had a wonderful day ! Lol is right about this being a whole lot more than the original topic...and that's all right by me.
AW, you've put in a lot of hard working hours lately. I know you get tired but I bet it feels good to be physically active after being in the house all winter. There's some projects around here I need to finish up and I need to get some chemicals for the pond.. Cat tails are starting to show up and I don't want them to take over.
Has your heat loving hen moved back to the regular roost? I enjoy watching my little flock! I was concerned that little episode with the 6 foot fence would throw the egg laying off, but everything seems normal!:-)
I have not been in the house all winter. There was firewood to cut, stack, deliver, to keep my own home fires burning, chicken house expansion and large loads of chicken feed and water to climb the hill with in spite of the weather. I have just not been out earning any money this winter.

My hen went back to sit with the others last night since it was not so cold as the night before, plus she might have learned that I would wake her too early when I open the cage to feed and water the 25 young chicks. lol

Location hidden

#96432 Mar 14, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> I have not been in the house all winter. There was firewood to cut, stack, deliver, to keep my own home fires burning, chicken house expansion and large loads of chicken feed and water to climb the hill with in spite of the weather. I have just not been out earning any money this winter.
My hen went back to sit with the others last night since it was not so cold as the night before, plus she might have learned that I would wake her too early when I open the cage to feed and water the 25 young chicks. lol
Yup, AW, you got me there!! I know you do all that stuff but for some reason I thought of those westerns that are so easy to nap by. Heeheehee. Working on the wood pile is a lot of work and nobody would disagree with that! My 4 hens certainly do not require a lot of work and for that I'm thankful. However I'm toying with the idea of increasing the flock ...but not sure yet.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96433 Mar 14, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, AW, you got me there!! I know you do all that stuff but for some reason I thought of those westerns that are so easy to nap by. Heeheehee. Working on the wood pile is a lot of work and nobody would disagree with that! My 4 hens certainly do not require a lot of work and for that I'm thankful. However I'm toying with the idea of increasing the flock ...but not sure yet.
Oh, I do like my westerns for my naps, but that is not all winter in the house.... It is just an hour or so after lunch ..... and about the only time that I watch tv. I get a kick out of Dish Network's Hopper ad that states that you can record up to 6 shows at one time, It would be difficult for me to find just one show worth recording, much less 6. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96437 Mar 15, 2014
@Mississippi Man & Anne.. You previously discussed Holly Springs and music... Check out "Poor Black Mattie" or "Mississippi Blues" by R. L. Burnside.... also a Delta blues legend Robert Johnson's 1936 original version of "Kind Hearted Woman" and "Sweet Home Chicago" done long before Elwood and Jake... Belushi and Ackroyd as the Blues Brothers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
truck payments 24 min TOASTup 7
Need food badly 42 min okk 20
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 50 min yea 2
hp laptop 1 hr travis 15
city of barbourville 2 hr common sense is b... 14
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr ChromiuMan 131,853
Wanted: Automatic Transmission for 2002 Chevy S... 4 hr Still Looking 5
Porsche mills 5 hr Prayers 17
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:58 am PST

NFL 6:58AM
Dez Bryant's big night headlines Week 15's awards
Bleacher Report 7:18 AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports