Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81695 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

hello

Gainesville, FL

#96353 Mar 9, 2014
Question....I have a bird feeder a metal pole with a hook that holds the feeder.....suppose to be the kind no squirrels can climb. Well the squirrels have no problem getting to the top of the pole and eatting all the seed. Tried a metal cone didn't work. Someone said put vasoline on the pole but I don't want the squirrels to get sick. Any suggestions???
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96354 Mar 10, 2014
hello wrote:
Question....I have a bird feeder a metal pole with a hook that holds the feeder.....suppose to be the kind no squirrels can climb. Well the squirrels have no problem getting to the top of the pole and eatting all the seed. Tried a metal cone didn't work. Someone said put vasoline on the pole but I don't want the squirrels to get sick. Any suggestions???
My ole 16 ga. shotgun does wonders........"that's a fact!!!" However, since the Belle has a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I had her make me a pattern for a cone with a 2 1/2 ft. outside diameter on a 45* angle. I cut it out of light gage aluminum, climbed the ladder and mounted it about 20 feet up on a utility pole. They cannot climb to the wires anymore! Maybe your cone was not big enough. I use the shotgun only when they get near the (4) big bird feeders that I built. Vaseline or auto grease will not harm squirrels.....(like a shotgun), but you've gotta keep putting it on the pole, which is a pain and is messy. Try a very large cone at a stiff angle! Or you can try small dia.chimney pipe around your pole but, as the pro's have said, squirrels can (and do) jump 5 to 7 feet, up and across.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96355 Mar 10, 2014
@ Anne........I'd better not start reminiscing but thankx so much for the "fond memories" statement. You're sure right.

@ Wolf.......Ha! What you said about "blooping" puts me in mind of what Mom used to tell us: "It is OK to belch but you sure better excuse yourself." Well, that may be fine........while standing in a saloon! LOL
You're sure welcome about the Holly Spring, Ms thing. Maybe we could meet for a beer, catfish and .....a burp!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96356 Mar 10, 2014
@MM.. I prefer to let critters coexist naturally including the birds, squirrels, deer, turkeys, and raccoons. I plant enough sweet corn for all of them including myself and my town dwelling friends. I toss enough chicken feed on the ground for the chickens to scratch in and share with the birds, I don't see any reason that I should feed the birds at the expense of the squirrels.

Last week I was reaching into the feed sack with a bean can to dip out starter-grower for my baby chicks, and a mouse ran out and up my coat sleeve and onto my shoulder for a second before it hopped on down on the ground with no harm to either me or the little mouse. I thank GOD that I did not have a heart attack or mess my pants. hehehe

It was Anne that wanted to visit Holly Springs, but you make it a bit more interesting with the beer, catfish, and the burp. LOL Now if I could just get some collard greens and some fried green tomatoes!!!

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#96357 Mar 10, 2014
[QUOTE who="Ancient Wolf ".. only drawback was that my special lady friend forgot to set her clock and I had to sing the old Gospels without her melodious harmony blending with my gravely bass drawl. I did not sound too good without her. hehehe It could be that my voice might have been better with the faint aroma from her Crabtree and Evelyn "Spring Rain" or "Summer Hill" perfumes and body lotions. Both of those aromas are just pleasant and not so overbearing and clinging to one's teeth....[/QUOTE]

:-(
Sorry that part of your Sunday wasnt as pleasant as it could've been. I thoroughly understand about scents being overpowering as I can hardly get down the candle aisle in the store without getting a headache. Perfumes usually cause instant headaches. But the "clinging to ones teeth?" My smart mouth response would be "and what exactly is going on " but in reality I do know the feeling of a perfume so strong you can actually taste it. Yuck! Laundry detergents and fabric softness can do the same

Location hidden

#96358 Mar 10, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Anne........I'd better not start reminiscing but thankx so much for the "fond memories" statement. You're sure right.
@ Wolf.......Ha! What you said about "blooping" puts me in mind of what Mom used to tell us: "It is OK to belch but you sure better excuse yourself." Well, that may be fine........while standing in a saloon! LOL
You're sure welcome about the Holly Spring, Ms thing. Maybe we could meet for a beer, catfish and .....a burp!
Lol. Burping and blooping. What happens if a person burps and bloops at the same time? Lol
Now that'd be a funny feeling and a strange noise! If holly springs does get to be on my agenda I'll let ya know. Btw, guess you noticed I fixed the little situation of my posting location Showing up all the time. Heeheehee!
qwerty

Luck, WI

#96359 Mar 10, 2014
I don't mind sharing with the birds & squirrels, but when a dang raccoon finds a food stash its all over. Firecrackers usually keep them away for a while. I also bought a device that hooks up to a garden hose called the scarecrow. It has a motion sensor that triggers the sprinkler type spray.
http://youtu.be/x-MkexhkgMk
You would laugh your arse off when they get busted!!

Location hidden

#96360 Mar 10, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Last week I was reaching into the feed sack with a bean can to dip out starter-grower for my baby chicks, and a mouse ran out and up my coat sleeve and onto my shoulder for a second before it hopped on down on the ground with no harm to either me or the little mouse. I thank GOD that I did not have a heart attack or mess my pants. hehehe!
I certainly would be startled ! Id jump and let out a loud yell for sure! Lol.

Location hidden

#96361 Mar 10, 2014
qwerty wrote:
I don't mind sharing with the birds & squirrels, but when a dang raccoon finds a food stash its all over. Firecrackers usually keep them away for a while. I also bought a device that hooks up to a garden hose called the scarecrow. It has a motion sensor that triggers the sprinkler type spray.
http://youtu.be/x-MkexhkgMk
You would laugh your arse off when they get busted!!
That would be fun to watch! Lol. But would birds--at the right level-- trigger it? I like it.
imposter

Manchester, KY

#96363 Mar 10, 2014
Anne girl has a mean streak!

A little ugly, mean old fiest dog will keep the coons and squacks away people.
Of course you have to put up with a mean little fiest then......

Mine is like a badger, 15 pounds of teeth and claw but he thinks he's ten foot tall LOL. I paid someone to keep him for a while and she paid me more to take him back. He's so mean he bites himself sometimes.
qwerty

United States

#96364 Mar 10, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be fun to watch! Lol. But would birds--at the right level-- trigger it? I like it.
birds don't trigger it very often. It has a sensitivity adjustment and will shut itself down temporarily if it thinks it is getting repeated false triggers. It's great for keeping animals away from shrubs.
imposter

London, KY

#96366 Mar 10, 2014
that sounds fun lol
qwerty

Luck, WI

#96367 Mar 10, 2014
It's fun watching people walk up to it too :-)

Location hidden

#96368 Mar 10, 2014
AW's just gonna have to wait a little longer for those fried green tomatoes . Some of those store bought ones sure could pass for "green" tomatoes though.
Now imposter is saying I have a mean streak about that water sprayer but if you'd read what qwerty posted a short while ago you'd see he likes watching people get blasted by a surprise spray of water... Lol... Surprise, surprise surprise. Tell you what, if imposter is ever at my house I'll have my grand kid tape the sink sprayer handle down and maybe, just maybe he will turn the kitchen sink faucet on ....and ....wow! Surprise, surprise, surprise!
It's boating season for me again! My little $100 rowboat is giving me a good workout again. Sheesh, I have to build up my muscles again so I can circle the pond I'm 5 minutes, like I could last summer. Grand kid and I took the black cat for a turn around the pond but the cat did not appreciate the ride at all and as soon as we came 3 ft from the dock, he jumped... Got his hind leg and tail wet but he didnt care! He was outta there!!
waiting

Louisville, KY

#96369 Mar 10, 2014
it could be the chemicals they are spraying in the atmosphere, they say they are fighting global warming huh who knows what they are spraying.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#96370 Mar 10, 2014
waiting wrote:
it could be the chemicals they are spraying in the atmosphere, they say they are fighting global warming huh who knows what they are spraying.
If, as they say, they are fighting global warming, then this past winter was one of their successes

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96372 Mar 10, 2014
Illinois had wonderful day today and the birds are chirping away tomorrow they will hiding SNOW!! Will ever end?? This whole week double widgets which is good. Night time cold out. I can't wait till spring break vacation time and travel to warmer state!
hello

Gainesville, FL

#96373 Mar 10, 2014
Mississipi man thanks you for your tip for the bird feeder. I will try this and report back to you the results!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96375 Mar 10, 2014
@ Anne........yes, I've noticed your "new & improved" I.D. But what kind of bird is that thing,........purdy.

@ Wolf..........AAaah,....just overlook who I was post'n to about mansions. Sometimes I talk to myself, too! That walk-way down the middle, in the old log cabins and small slab houses that used to be around here, they called it the "dog trot." Now, you've mentioned coffee several times. Now I detest that stuff but I do drink hot tea. But you and the Belle have coffee in common. She don't drink a cup, she's confiscated one of my Western mugs and drinks gallons of coffee, morning, noon and night. I'd pee myself to death!.. But having to do with critters. No squirrels and no possums are going to feed off of that bird food. The really good stuff is way too expensive and we keep up to six of those tall plastic 5-gal. buckets full in the winter time. One night I was walking to the back door from the wood shop and in the flood lights I saw a possum sitting up in one of the bird feeders. On in I went, came back out and blew that nasty thing nearly in half. Course I had the fix the feeder the next day! I've made a live trap for the coons and possums. The coons go free, the possums go to ____!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96377 Mar 11, 2014
@MM.. Tea will drive my nerves up the wall, but I can get up in the middle of the night and drink coffee and go right back to sleep. Tea also makes me pee like a horse splattering on a rock. LOL

I have so many deer, turkeys, birds, and other critters here at the homestead that I just let them all live in Harmony with Nature taking it's course without any intervention from me. If I lose a chicken or two to a possum, I figure that is just Nature's food chain. I am not a tree hugger but just go with "what will be, will be". My dog keeps most of the undesirables away anyhow. I do understand why folks with town or subdivision dwelling would want bird feeders so as to bring a little of the country to town. I just don't need to since all the woods, nearby farms, and rivers supply plenty of food and water for all.

Yes, I have heard those breezeways down the middle of the house being called a dog trot. It was just the old ways of keeping the house cooler before there was any a/c or even electric for that matter. Most kitchens were in a separate small building which kept the wood burning cooking contained out of the main house.

Time for me to feed the chickens and head out to my part time work. I am Blessed by the Creator to still be able and willing to at least be a little bit productive. Have a good day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No regrets 43 min reallywtf 21
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Revisedcode 153,697
shawn smith 3 hr well 3
broughton Lay Principal 3 hr wow 3
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 3 hr Orida 94
Lynn camp school THEFTS reported to KEA Today 3 hr Football fan 9
Stinking Creek Fire DEpt 3 hr Knox 2
Walmart Supercenter 8 hr Fyi 9

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages