Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,784

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Read more
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96005 Feb 16, 2014
@Boom and Anne.. I only made it with 4 1/2 dozen for 4 days. If an egg is just dented, I save those for myself. But any that are frozen or cracked, I do not throw back to the chickens. I may be wrong but I don't want them to develop a habit of eating their eggs and I pitch those few into the creek to wash downstream for other critters.

I rarely get frozen eggs anyways. I sit around getting bored and wind up going up the hill several times a day just to get outside for a while and most often my eggs are still warm. LOL .
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#96006 Feb 16, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Boom and Anne.. I only made it with 4 1/2 dozen for 4 days. If an egg is just dented, I save those for myself. But any that are frozen or cracked, I do not throw back to the chickens. I may be wrong but I don't want them to develop a habit of eating their eggs and I pitch those few into the creek to wash downstream for other critters.
I rarely get frozen eggs anyways. I sit around getting bored and wind up going up the hill several times a day just to get outside for a while and most often my eggs are still warm. LOL .
Typo correction.... It was just 3 1/2 dozen for the 4 days.
Chem trails

Benton, KY

#96007 Feb 16, 2014
Look up at the sky,what is that coming out of the back of those plains? And why does it linger and block out the blue sky? Ya think that's normal? Reallllllly. Hmmmmmm. It's poison. Take a deep breath. And roll your eyes. And call people like me conspiracy theorists. Then take another deeeeeeeep breath.
I watched you change

Harrogate, TN

#96008 Feb 16, 2014
Chem trails wrote:
Look up at the sky,what is that coming out of the back of those plains? And why does it linger and block out the blue sky? Ya think that's normal? Reallllllly. Hmmmmmm. It's poison. Take a deep breath. And roll your eyes. And call people like me conspiracy theorists. Then take another deeeeeeeep breath.
Those chemtrails that you see are not really there, just you and everyone else think they are. It is imposible for planes to spray, who would steer the plane? There is only one purpose if they did spray, because having more than one use for things is insanity. If they really are spraying chemtrails, I am 1000% they are safe and most likely nutritious and extremely healthy for our lungs, skin and brains. The government has never harmed anyone, wars are all just lies created by the History Channel to boost ratings.
Chem trails

Benton, KY

#96009 Feb 16, 2014
They do things like that because we are to stupid to look up and see ,, and the term conspiracy theorist ,makes people cover there ears and eyes and not want to talk about what I right in front of there faces, Devide and conquer. That is how they win,,,get us arguing over there politics and pointing the finger at each other. Instead of them..we lose they win. Oldest trick in the book, still we fall for it,, look up. And tell others to look up.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96010 Feb 16, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Typo correction.... It was just 3 1/2 dozen for the 4 days.
Your birds are doing good too. I got about 6-8 over the four dozen but a couple had froze, 2-3 were white, and a couple had dents. People don't want the white eggs. They think the brown ones are magic or something. lol
Anne

Brea, CA

#96011 Feb 16, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>Your birds are doing good too. I got about 6-8 over the four dozen but a couple had froze, 2-3 were white, and a couple had dents. People don't want the white eggs. They think the brown ones are magic or something. lol
I guess it's written somewhere that country eggs are brown. Lol.
I have a lovely nesting box but my hens aren't using it. Is there any thing I can do to get them to use the box? Maybe it's too high off the floor( about 2 ft)?
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96012 Feb 17, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Your birds are doing good too. I got about 6-8 over the four dozen but a couple had froze, 2-3 were white, and a couple had dents. People don't want the white eggs. They think the brown ones are magic or something. lol
I don't get any white eggs. I have only the one breed.. Rhode Island Reds. People just associate the white eggs with mass produced store bought possibly full of chemicals and steriods and why they want the brown shelled and willing to pay more for them. As you well know, the color of the shell is determined by the breed and has nothing to do with the contents.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#96013 Feb 17, 2014
Anne, put a fake egg or two in it and leave it there until they get used to using the nesting box. A couple of those plastic 'kids hunt' Easter eggs will suffice. If you don't have any of those, you can always blow a raw egg out and fill it with sand or loose dirt and seal the hole back up. They won't know the difference.

It won't hurt to leave a real one in there, but like AW said somewhere back there while I was playing catch up in this thread, sometimes you have to be careful or you'll get an egg eating hen. And that's not good, obviously...

Mine have all but quit laying. This stinking winter weather combined with their age has about dried them up. It's okay, they'll live out the remainder of their lives in divine comfort. Emphasis on "comfort". No stew pot for my babies. It is what it is...

I named them and you're not allowed to eat what you've named. That's my motto and I'm stickin' to it.
:)

I've been hearing some occasional low and deep rumbles and thuds outside on the property hear lately. I have a sick feeling that sink hole I have out there is getting ready to do her thang. Wish us well on this side of the rock. I'll either have a new brim pond, or my house will shift. With the two alternatives, I'd rather be fishin'..

#96014 Feb 17, 2014
*here lately.
Sorry, I'm on another insomniac run again....... Can't sleep to save my tail.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96015 Feb 17, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's written somewhere that country eggs are brown. Lol.
I have a lovely nesting box but my hens aren't using it. Is there any thing I can do to get them to use the box? Maybe it's too high off the floor( about 2 ft)?
2 ft is not too high, maybe not even high enough. It is their nature to nest higher away from potential egg eating snakes and varmits. I have 12 boxes built about 4 ft high (double stacked on top of a 6 foot long folding table with the front part of the table open for a landing spot for climbing access and each nest about a foot wide) and the hens only use about 3 of the ones on the 2nd tier at about 5 feet high and sometimes argue over who gets it first. I have seen as many as 3 hens trying to sit on the same nest even when others are vacant. They prefer the ones in the corners and not as open as the ones in the middle. I assume they are much like me and don't want to do their business out in the public and prefer to hide. They also prefer a roof over the box and I have a 1 by 4 plank running the length of the front of the 6 boxes on each tier leaving just enough space for the hens to crawl back into out of public view. Also with the higher boxes, I do not need to bend down to get the eggs.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96016 Feb 17, 2014
Oh and as Nope posted, I have golf balls as decoys for the nests that they primarily use. And it is fairly easy for me to determine the difference between a real egg and a golf ball. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96017 Feb 17, 2014
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
*here lately.
Sorry, I'm on another insomniac run again....... Can't sleep to save my tail.
I have already been sleeping and woke myself up dreaming the lyrics of a 1952 Ernest Tubb song about a soldier that was "Missing in Action" and comes home to the house he built and walks in and sees a picture on the mantle of his wife with another man and she is wearing a wedding dress. Odd that my brain would remember that song that I only heard as a child and after dreaming it, I found some old guy singing the thing on Youtube.
Anne

Brea, CA

#96018 Feb 17, 2014
@nope and aw: wow, you guys are burning the midnight oil tonight!!

Thanks for the info. Going by that I think what I'm missing is a landing strip in front of the nests. I will definitely try the fake egg idea. They used to use the boxes so maybe the fake egg will work.
It was mentioned about dents in the eggs, sometimes I get eggs like that. Is it a nutritional problem?
Anne

Brea, CA

#96019 Feb 17, 2014
@nope: this sinkhole business is awful scary. Last week the corvette museum... Did they ever figure out the reason why? And, nope, do you have a cave under your property or an underground mine? This is awful.

#96020 Feb 17, 2014
Yes, I most certainly do have a cave system underneath of the house. The Sloans Valley Cave system runs closely, if not partially, underneath of my property lines in more than one spot.

I don't know if they found out why all of those cars fell through the Corvette museum or not, but I'm still keeping an eyeball on that treeline out there. When those trees start leaning, even ever so slightly, we're outta here until we can get someone out to take a look see...

As far as the eggs go, I've gotten bumpy eggs shells, lumpy egg shells, "soft" egg shells, you name it. As long as it's a fresh egg and the membrane isn't harmed, I'll either cook it up and feed it to the dogs or give it back to the hens once it's fully cooked and crunched up, shells and all. The protein and calcium is good for them and in my minds eye, as long as it's cooked and crumbled I may not be creating an egg eating monster hen out there.

Honestly, I've been up all night because I have another sick critter. If he lasts until daybreak, it may mean a trip to the vet for that "dreaded thing". I have him in a soft and warm box here in the bedroom right now and haven't heard a peep out of him for hours. I suspect that he'll have already passed peacefully in his sleep.... I don't know and I don't want to look just yet. He's been acting tired out a lot and today he was trying to find "that" hiding spot to crawl off to like cats so often do. I've had him for a really long time, he's extremely old, and this one is gonna hurt just like all the other critters that I've lost throughout the years......
Another heartbreak that loosing a critter kid always brings.
<<heavy sigh>>

I better hop on in the shower and get ready just in case I have to take "that" trip in to town.

Later folks.
<3
Weird

Indianapolis, IN

#96023 Feb 17, 2014
How does this happen
Anne

Brea, CA

#96025 Feb 17, 2014
blurbrain.com/first-wind-turbines-now-solar-p...

Here's my bird post for the day
Anne

Brea, CA

#96026 Feb 17, 2014
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Yes, I most certainly do have a cave system underneath of the house. The Sloans Valley Cave system runs closely, if not partially, underneath of my property lines in more than one spot.
When those trees start leaning, even ever so slightly, we're outta here until we can get someone out to take a look see...
Honestly, I've been up all night because I have another sick critter. I suspect that he'll have already passed peacefully in his sleep.... I don't know and I don't want to look just yet.
Another heartbreak that loosing a critter kid always brings.
<<heavy sigh>>
Later folks.
<3
That Sloans valley cave system, isn't it the longest in the world? I think I'd be watching that tree line also. To my knowledge there is no cave system under my property. This has been family land for 80+ years and no one has heard about or found a cave so I'm fairly confident there isn't one.

It's hard to loose a critter. I haven't lost too many but it is hard. I know it hurts a lot. You keep quite a few critter kids around and go through this fairly often. You have a good heart to care for all these critters.
Anne

Brea, CA

#96027 Feb 17, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>That Sloans valley cave system, isn't it the longest in the world? I think I'd be watching that tree line also. To my knowledge there is no cave system under my property. This has been family land for 80+ years and no one has heard about or found a cave so I'm fairly confident there isn't one.

It's hard to loose a critter. I haven't lost too many but it is hard. I know it hurts a lot. You keep quite a few critter kids around and go through this fairly often. You have a good heart to care for all these critters.
....lose a critter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sabrina kagin spicer warrenn baker corey 1 hr Man 41
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Alvin 135,020
Attorney Joe Bear Hammons 2 hr Bob 6
Meth makeing 3 hr Neighbor 8
Barbourville Internet 3 hr reluctant user 8
Sarah tye 3 hr Wondering 10
What is going on at Walmart ? 4 hr SecretShopper 3
New romeo's restaurant 21 hr Bottom line 30
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match