Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
80,321 - 80,340 of 81,588 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I guess some posters stayed up to listen to the speech and then went over to the political threads to argue about it. LOL In 40 or 50 years of speeches, most of what I have heard is just spitting into the wind and I chose to not listen and just go out to dinner with a fine lady..
AW,
Neither did I. There are already too many hours in a day that I will never get back that were not a good use of time to start with. Plus, this weather creates other priorities. Changing water buckets for all the horses every 2-3 hours is wearing us down to a nub. Putting on 40 pounds of "layers" then collecting everything for the barns is worse than the actual work. Odd that horses drink more water in cold weather, or it could be they are getting more hay than normal. Being locked up days at a time to prevent broken legs from frozen "hoof holes" at the gates into the pastures they need something to "graze" on. Tomorrow they will be allowed out in the afternoon. All Glory to God for a good hay harvest this year.
I think it was you that mentioned lye soap, I remember my maternal grandmother cutting it into squares. That stuff would get your hands clean, or take the skin off trying,,,:-)
Back to work, gotta be done in time to shower and change clothes again for church at 7. TV is on in the office, quite a mess in Atlanta on I-285. It's bad enough on a normal day..
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

Now.....there was 8 of us kids. First came the 4 girls and then the 4 boys, that's the truth! I can hear Pa now.......but anyway, when the cistern ran dry we had to carry water for wash'n and baths from the well at the bottom of the hill. And like someone already said, "it took a lot of water." Well, after the girls all married off we got this great idea when it rained. There was no down-spout from the gutter on the south-west corner of the house so we'd shed nekkid, grab a wash cloth and a bar of soap (not lye) and get sparklin clean. That rain water would make your clean hair feel like silk. Now keep in mind, we lived at the end of a 2 mile lane with only two other families there and they sure weren't close by. That was the first I ever knew about "showering!" Course that happened only in the summertime!......a long time ago.
FLU SHOOTING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

THAT,MEAN H1N1 FLU BIRDS=DEAD BIRDS=VERY SIMPLE
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
Now.....there was 8 of us kids. First came the 4 girls and then the 4 boys, that's the truth! I can hear Pa now.......but anyway, when the cistern ran dry we had to carry water for wash'n and baths from the well at the bottom of the hill. And like someone already said, "it took a lot of water." Well, after the girls all married off we got this great idea when it rained. There was no down-spout from the gutter on the south-west corner of the house so we'd shed nekkid, grab a wash cloth and a bar of soap (not lye) and get sparklin clean. That rain water would make your clean hair feel like silk. Now keep in mind, we lived at the end of a 2 mile lane with only two other families there and they sure weren't close by. That was the first I ever knew about "showering!" Course that happened only in the summertime!......a long time ago.
there were 6 of us kids, with 5 living here at the homestead which was 4 rooms and a path at that time with no electric or running water. The 6th child was born later after we had moved into town. Our water was from a spring that you had to cross the creek to get to or a rain barrel from the back porch gutter. Water for the chickens was normally just dipped from the creek and their containers filled with a purple pill called a "Walko" tablet. We also got some kind of a coated purple pill that killed pin worms. I once made the mistake of crunching that pill rather than swallowing. YUK!!

When I retired, I bought the homeplace back and expanded it to 6 rooms and a bath and thankful that now the path just goes to the chicken house instead of the outhouse. LOL
boxcar

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Why are they dying? Are they still? Is this still happening?
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

I have had a multitude of birds feeding at my feeders all winter. Three different feeds and one woodpecker suet, so I am getting many differed breeds. None dead yet.
Anne

Henderson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Hello, everyone! Oh, I am so hungry! This diet makes me drool whenever a food commercial comes on. But it is a one week diet and surely I'm strong enough to get through it!
I've been catching up and loved the shower and bathing stories. It'd be kinda fun to stand under the downspout to take a shower
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

@Anne... Showering in a gutter down spout might be fun, but I would tend to wait a while until the grit cleans off the shingles. We had a "Y" shaped spout on the end of the down spout that had a trip lever. After the initial rains ran out on the ground, the lever was turned to put only the clean water in the barrel.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Judged:

A wonderful exfoliating outdoor shower with flowers and roses on a warm summer day? Sounds like an expensive luxury spa shower--in the all together in the great outdoors!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Too much drugs and Ouija boards lead to bizarre postings-- just say no to drugs and Ouija boards.
This has been an advertisement by the after life.
Hello, Miss E!! You've changed your wardrobe again! You have quite the shoe collection!!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Miss E!! You've changed your wardrobe again! You have quite the shoe collection!!
Perhaps her real identity is Imelda Marcos. LOL
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Imelda Marcos ! Haven't heard that name for a little while. Wonder what's going on with her?
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Better yet..........just who the "!!" is she? Or........do I care?
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
Better yet..........just who the "!!" is she? Or........do I care?
Imelda was the former First Lady of the Phillipines married to Ferdinan Marcos who extorted millions from the Phillipine people and lived lavishly and she was reported to have thousands of shoes. I believe they were ousted and exiled to the USA and he passed on in 1989.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

It appears we are to be blessed with a few warmer days, but another winter storm to roll through by Tuesday
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Judged:

Imelda Marcos, born in 1929, is in the Philippines House of Representatives. Last summer before the annual Philippines state of the union speech she fell, injuring her knee and foot. She spent her exile in Hawaii and her and her family " won the case of the century --the 901 charges against them. Even at 85 she is still beautiful and has a great sense of humor! Her shoes were never returned to her and are now worthless because of lack of proper care. She says the media greatly enhanced the number and actually had far less: a few hundred, not thousands.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Judged:

I am thinking that the only Super Bowl that interests me is the one I plan to fill with popcorn for me and dog... Now the old groundhog's shadow....that is a different story!!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I am thinking that the only Super Bowl that interests me is the one I plan to fill with popcorn for me and dog... Now the old groundhog's shadow....that is a different story!!
I am so far out of the loop about Super Bowl. I bet that bowl would hold an awful lot of potato salad or popcorn. Do you pop your corn in the micro or on the stove? I prefer using a thin aluminum sauce pan on the stove top but I buy the microwave type.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
(2nd attempt at this post :-(

I'm so far out of the loop about Super Bowl. Bet that sucker holds a ton of popcorn ! Do you pop your corn in the micro or on the stove top? I prefer using a thin aluminum saucepan to pop mine on the stovetop but reality is I buy only microwave popcorn .
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Patience, Annie girl, patience. Lol
Reminds me of Helter Pete. Wonder if he done found hisself a pretty little island girl and ain't nev'r coming back. Helter Pete, meet me at the top of diamond head next Friday around noon!! C u then!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min Mike Duquette 130,184
Sheriff deputies 19 min bell county 14
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min For real 149,706
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr BIG_STEVIE 26,226
who knows Lecora Smith???? 5 hr sue earren 4
Melinda and Anthony affair 5 hr nasty 6
puppet masters of knox co. who are they? 5 hr Answer 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••