Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,683

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Cat

Wheelwright, KY

#95563 Jan 22, 2014
The birds died
boom

Greenwood, IN

#95564 Jan 22, 2014
@Anne... What kind of chickens do you have? I'm a chicken herder too.
Anne

United States

#95565 Jan 22, 2014
I was a chicken herder UNTIL the ladies got into my flower bed! Now my americuan ladies are confined to the coop and the pen. Last summer I was getting variations of blue, green and pink eggs. I'm keeping a heat lamp directed at their water during this cold so that helps to keep them warmer also. Makes my electric bill higher though!
Your chickens????

This fracking thing. I sure dont know the answers but I do know for an absolute fact that those water trucks run all day and all night. Yes they certainly do. And if your apartment happens to be at a highway crossroads and your bed is less than 10 feet from one road and about 20 feet from the other road then you know those water trucks ( for fracking) run 24/6. Sometimes 24/7. That is a certain fact. Also, there's no good reason to hit those air brakes at 2am. Lol. It was an up close and personal issue with me. Lol
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95566 Jan 23, 2014
@ Anne, some drivers are just pompous. You are absolutely right: air brakes will wake you easily. Just like a big reefer unit. Good golly Ms. Molly.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95567 Jan 23, 2014
I once had Araucana-Americauna hens that laid the bluish-green eggs in the gutter on the roof of the shed. Climbing a ladder for eggs was NOT on my agenda, and I now have Rhode Island red hens. I do have eggs in an incubator since the RIs are good egg layers but not noted to be very good mother hens. I got a dozen eggs yesterday in spite of the cold.

I once lived on a hill over looking the 4 lane highway and that alone is enough reason to enjoy the solitude of my homestead in the boondocks with the nearest neighbor over a 1/2 mile away and the main road about a mile. I do not mind that I have not left the place since Church time last Sunday and been snow bound since Tuesday morning.
boom

Greenwood, IN

#95569 Jan 23, 2014
Anne wrote:
I was a chicken herder UNTIL the ladies got into my flower bed! Now my americuan ladies are confined to the coop and the pen. Last summer I was getting variations of blue, green and pink eggs. I'm keeping a heat lamp directed at their water during this cold so that helps to keep them warmer also. Makes my electric bill higher though!
Your chickens????
This fracking thing. I sure dont know the answers but I do know for an absolute fact that those water trucks run all day and all night. Yes they certainly do. And if your apartment happens to be at a highway crossroads and your bed is less than 10 feet from one road and about 20 feet from the other road then you know those water trucks ( for fracking) run 24/6. Sometimes 24/7. That is a certain fact. Also, there's no good reason to hit those air brakes at 2am. Lol. It was an up close and personal issue with me. Lol
I have about 5-6 different breeds, 30 birds in all (23 hens). Mine are confined until I get some electric netting because of the dog problem. No heat for them, just have to break the ice every day. All have made it fine except 2-3 roosters got just a little frostbite on combs/wattles. Mine have layed pretty good all winter, right now averaging about 8-10 eggs every day. I'm not sure they are all laying yet, young birds.
Anne

United States

#95570 Jan 23, 2014
Misty eyed wrote:
@ Anne, some drivers are just pompous. You are absolutely right: air brakes will wake you easily. Just like a big reefer unit. Good golly Ms. Molly.
Lol! I don't miss that noise at all and I'm serious about how close the road was to the apartment. Measuring heel to toe I counted off 8-9 steps from the side door to the road pavement. Pretty old building in a pretty old settlement.

Sure hope your partner is safe and sound!. The balaclava you mentioned earlier sounds warm as toast! Did you make it for him? Frankly I hadn't a clue what it was and had to google it. Lol. See , this thread is educational --!
Fox News Is A Joke

Pikeville, KY

#95572 Jan 23, 2014
boom wrote:
Google "increase in earthquakes due to fracking".
lmfao
Lmfao
Lmfao
Anne

United States

#95573 Jan 23, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I once had Araucana-Americauna hens that laid the bluish-green eggs in the gutter on the roof of the shed. Climbing a ladder for eggs was NOT on my agenda, and I now have Rhode Island red hens. I do have eggs in an incubator since the RIs are good egg layers but not noted to be very good mother hens. I got a dozen eggs yesterday in spite of the cold.

I once lived on a hill over looking the 4 lane highway and that alone is enough reason to enjoy the solitude of my homestead in the boondocks with the nearest neighbor over a 1/2 mile away and the main road about a mile. I do not mind that I have not left the place since Church time last Sunday and been snow bound since Tuesday morning.
Hah! Then I should be thankful that while my ladies shun the nice beautiful nesting box, at least they made their nest directly below --and occasionally lay an egg by the door.. Your RI red flock sounds beautiful! And my grandson would love the incubator and eggs! Due to life circumstances my ladies number 4 now and cost more to keep than they are worth but are priceless for the entertainment/experience!
Our home is about 4 miles from the interstate with a state forestry etc between us. On a clear night we can hear the interstate traffic. The lonesome train whistle? I love it when I hear it in the far distance. In a span of about a mile there are 4 house including ours. My sisters sits back off the road about a thousand feet and ours sits back 800 feet. The road doesnt have a center line and has way too much traffic for me but that's how it is!
Anne

United States

#95574 Jan 23, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have about 5-6 different breeds, 30 birds in all (23 hens). Mine are confined until I get some electric netting because of the dog problem. No heat for them, just have to break the ice every day. All have made it fine except 2-3 roosters got just a little frostbite on combs/wattles. Mine have layed pretty good all winter, right now averaging about 8-10 eggs every day. I'm not sure they are all laying yet, young birds.
Sounds like you've got quite a nice flock!! And your getting s lot of eggs in this cold weather! My grandson would be delighted to gather all those eggs! Obviously he's the reason I have a few hens and he has done well helping out. I've tried to make the setup so easy he had no problem attending to them on his own when I'm out of town.
Have a wonderful day! We're headed out and about even if there is no school--again!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95575 Jan 23, 2014
@ Wolf......Hey, for real. The first four was playing at The Colisium in Benld, Ill when I was a late teenager,(always late!) I'm originally from near there. Now Hank Jr., he was at the Memphis fairgrounds in about 1970,......Totally out of it! Never went to see him again. I waited nearly 45 years to see Little Richard. At the time, he said he was 69 years old. He may be..... "odd" but he can still flat rock 'n roll and was the best show I've ever seen.(Oh yeah, next time, try a Motel 6 !!!)lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95576 Jan 23, 2014
@Anne and Boom.. I have 17 Rhode Island red hens and 2 happy roosters. I have eggs in the incubator and more RI chicks ordered from the hatchery. I break even on the expense by selling some eggs and giving some away to the needy. My payoff is eggs for myself, entertainment, and exercise that keeps me alive since I had open heart surgery 5 years ago. After which, I bought back just 2 acres of the old homestead that had been in my family (with a several year break) since 1877.

Other ancestors came to this general area in 1790, and from Ireland in 1711. So this is where I belong and where I will meet my Maker when GOD says I am done with keeping chickens.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95578 Jan 23, 2014
Somebody.......explain this to me.(light-heartedly speak'n) Back when I was working I NEVER had enough time to do all the things that I wanted to do, yard work, wood shop work, keep vehicles washed, play music, etc, etc. Now after some years of being retired, I've got more time to do all these things plus more but I either don't have the drive or just plain, flat don't want to do them! LOL.. I've become a genius at postponing and rearranging priorities. But narrowing it down, I don't really think any of them are as important as they used to be. Which makes me wonder,.........were they ever important in the first place? I don't really think so.

@ Anne.....how's that for a futile subject to tread on???????
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95580 Jan 23, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Wolf......Hey, for real. The first four was playing at The Colisium in Benld, Ill when I was a late teenager,(always late!) I'm originally from near there. Now Hank Jr., he was at the Memphis fairgrounds in about 1970,......Totally out of it! Never went to see him again. I waited nearly 45 years to see Little Richard. At the time, he said he was 69 years old. He may be..... "odd" but he can still flat rock 'n roll and was the best show I've ever seen.(Oh yeah, next time, try a Motel 6 !!!)lol
I have never seen their performances, but my favorites were Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry. I was once a fellow passenger on a plane with Percy Sledge...."When a Man Loves a Woman".
Anne

United States

#95581 Jan 23, 2014
Lol, MM! We'll have to live to be a least 150 years old to finish all of the assorted projects we want to do. We need to slow down and rearrange and simply eliminate a few. We are "smelling the roses" today and are headed for the boat show in Louisville .
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95582 Jan 23, 2014
@MM... I have also found that most of what I thought was important wasn't really that significant. From my perspective, the only important thing is to wake up each morning, put my feet on the floor without too many pains, and no one is shoveling dirt in my face.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95583 Jan 23, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@MM... I have also found that most of what I thought was important wasn't really that significant. From my perspective, the only important thing is to wake up each morning, put my feet on the floor without too many pains, and no one is shoveling dirt in my face.
I agree---
When I was 20 , I was going to conquer the world!
When I was 30, I was going to make a difference in my region.
When I was 40, I was going to be a positive influence on family and friends.
As I hit 50, I'm happy to keep the living room picked up.
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#95584 Jan 23, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>I agree---
When I was 20 , I was going to conquer the world!
When I was 30, I was going to make a difference in my region.
When I was 40, I was going to be a positive influence on family and friends.
As I hit 50, I'm happy to keep the living room picked up.
.....as I hit 60 I'm happy be be able to pick up myself out of bed.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95585 Jan 23, 2014
CrackerJack wrote:
<quoted text>.....as I hit 60 I'm happy be be able to pick up myself out of bed.
I guess by 70 we will be happy to pick our own nose. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95586 Jan 23, 2014
You younguns need to walk up hill carrying 100 pound bags of chicken feed...... like a 70 year old LOL .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 24 min Princess Hey 318
big buck in carter hollow 29 min LMAO 8
What is the bad blood between Roger Vanover and... 30 min LMAO 2
Scott Simpson 56 min Curiouswonderer 1
Mike Warren embezzled money? 1 hr WhoCares 23
who will you vote for as jailer 3 hr ummmm 114
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr SNYB 131,425
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 5 hr Guessudontknow 38
If McGhee is this dirty in Campaign, Imagine on... 6 hr pastor 29
El Mariachi Restaurant 6 hr Piggy Tails 20