Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81698 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95672 Jan 29, 2014
I guess some posters stayed up to listen to the speech and then went over to the political threads to argue about it. LOL In 40 or 50 years of speeches, most of what I have heard is just spitting into the wind and I chose to not listen and just go out to dinner with a fine lady. .
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95673 Jan 29, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Chitlins or chitterlings were made from the linings around the small intestine of the hogs, while tripe was made from the stomach parts. Cracklins were esssentially pork rinds made from rendering lard from the skin and excess fat that was removed from the hams and shoulders. Those trimmed off parts were thrown into a big cauldiron pot over an open outdoor flame. While the men folk were trimming the hams, shoulders, and curing those; it was my job to tend to the fire and dip off the grease (lard) and put into metal cans and the resulting rinds or crispy cracklins put into a dish pan and then taking to the women to grind up and put into corn bread or just bagged to be eaten as a snack like a potato chip. Souse was just the jellied parts of the ears, nose, head, etc and generally was nothing more than a home made pickle loaf including pimentoes and peppers. Yes, that was slimy and grisly and I did not like it either and still do not like purchased pickle loaf mainly because I know where it comes from LOL
Smaller pieces of lean meat trimmed from the hams, shoulders, legs, and such were just laid to the side and the last job which usually ended around 2 or 3 am was to grind those into sausage containing peppers and sage. After working all day, it was then my job to turn the hand crank on the sausage grinder. It was a "coming of age" thing because women folk were not allowed to be in the smoke house during sausage grinding but I was needed and could listen to all the tall (and sometimes vulgar) tales and since it was so cold, even allowed to get a sip of the hooch or recipe that the neighbor kept in the hip pocket of his overalls. The more they sipped, the more vulgar the language. LOL
Of course there were also pickled pigs feet and tails. I recall an old 5th grade school mate taking some pig tails to the teacher as a Christmas present. He thought he was giving her a nice gift, but when she said YUK and refused his gift; he was most down hearted.
Takes me back a bit......still remember the lye soap that was made too. It was great. Is it just me or did a bar of lye soap seem to never wear down? You could use the same bar for a looooooooong time.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95674 Jan 29, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I guess some posters stayed up to listen to the speech and then went over to the political threads to argue about it. LOL In 40 or 50 years of speeches, most of what I have heard is just spitting into the wind and I chose to not listen and just go out to dinner with a fine lady..
Good Morning!
I'm sure going out to dinner with your fine lady was much more enjoyable! Better half, who is very interested in politics, opted to watch basketball so I gather his opinion is much like yours--it's spitting in the wind.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95675 Jan 29, 2014
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Takes me back a bit......still remember the lye soap that was made too. It was great. Is it just me or did a bar of lye soap seem to never wear down? You could use the same bar for a looooooooong time.
Our Amish neighbors still use lye soap. Not sure if its just for laundry or bathing also...I haven't asked. Lol. I knew that they didnt smell like ocean fresh or linen scent detergents and at first I thought ewww weee. But then a light bulb went off in my brain and I realized it was just a different type of clean smell. But, I don't think Tide will use that scent for detergents any time soon. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95676 Jan 29, 2014
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Takes me back a bit......still remember the lye soap that was made too. It was great. Is it just me or did a bar of lye soap seem to never wear down? You could use the same bar for a looooooooong time.
You are so right. I don't recall Mom even making soap more than maybe once a year and it was cut into slivers and also used for laundry. But it did last a loooooong time and that might have also been because we only got a bath on Saturday night whether we needed it or not. LOL and the once a week bath was because water had to be packed from the spring house and heated. I was 3rd in line and don't think I ever had fresh winter time water until about age 12. Summer time was more frequent since we just took our soap and went to the Swiming hole which was much better than hand-me-down wash water.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95677 Jan 29, 2014
We didnt have a tub so in our early years we would heat water in the kettle and pour it in a "wash pan" placed in the kitchen sink. Sponge baths were the order of the day, but some nights we just washed our legs and feet--which tend to show a lot of country dirt. Lol. Now it's sometimes a couple showers a day. How times have changed!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95679 Jan 29, 2014
Anne wrote:
We didnt have a tub so in our early years we would heat water in the kettle and pour it in a "wash pan" placed in the kitchen sink. Sponge baths were the order of the day, but some nights we just washed our legs and feet--which tend to show a lot of country dirt. Lol. Now it's sometimes a couple showers a day. How times have changed!
we never even had a kitchen sink, used water was just thrown out the back door.
Anne

United States

#95680 Jan 29, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>we never even had a kitchen sink, used water was just thrown out the back door.
Your mom have a rose bush by the back door that she watered with the used water?
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95681 Jan 29, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mom have a rose bush by the back door that she watered with the used water?
I do not remember that, if she did. I do know she took the used water and a broom and cleaned off the porch.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95682 Jan 29, 2014
Ya know, if you plant a pretty rose bush outside the baby daughters window, that rose bush will grow along with her and will also help keep her from slipping out the window at night when she becomes of an age to think up those sort of things. Js
Bob

Winchester, KY

#95683 Jan 29, 2014
I agree.
Tollesboro Guy

Nicholasville, KY

#95684 Jan 29, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I guess some posters stayed up to listen to the speech and then went over to the political threads to argue about it. LOL In 40 or 50 years of speeches, most of what I have heard is just spitting into the wind and I chose to not listen and just go out to dinner with a fine lady..
AW,
Neither did I. There are already too many hours in a day that I will never get back that were not a good use of time to start with. Plus, this weather creates other priorities. Changing water buckets for all the horses every 2-3 hours is wearing us down to a nub. Putting on 40 pounds of "layers" then collecting everything for the barns is worse than the actual work. Odd that horses drink more water in cold weather, or it could be they are getting more hay than normal. Being locked up days at a time to prevent broken legs from frozen "hoof holes" at the gates into the pastures they need something to "graze" on. Tomorrow they will be allowed out in the afternoon. All Glory to God for a good hay harvest this year.
I think it was you that mentioned lye soap, I remember my maternal grandmother cutting it into squares. That stuff would get your hands clean, or take the skin off trying,,,:-)
Back to work, gotta be done in time to shower and change clothes again for church at 7. TV is on in the office, quite a mess in Atlanta on I-285. It's bad enough on a normal day..
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95685 Jan 29, 2014
Now.....there was 8 of us kids. First came the 4 girls and then the 4 boys, that's the truth! I can hear Pa now.......but anyway, when the cistern ran dry we had to carry water for wash'n and baths from the well at the bottom of the hill. And like someone already said, "it took a lot of water." Well, after the girls all married off we got this great idea when it rained. There was no down-spout from the gutter on the south-west corner of the house so we'd shed nekkid, grab a wash cloth and a bar of soap (not lye) and get sparklin clean. That rain water would make your clean hair feel like silk. Now keep in mind, we lived at the end of a 2 mile lane with only two other families there and they sure weren't close by. That was the first I ever knew about "showering!" Course that happened only in the summertime!......a long time ago.
FLU SHOOTING

United States

#95686 Jan 29, 2014
THAT,MEAN H1N1 FLU BIRDS=DEAD BIRDS=VERY SIMPLE
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95687 Jan 30, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Now.....there was 8 of us kids. First came the 4 girls and then the 4 boys, that's the truth! I can hear Pa now.......but anyway, when the cistern ran dry we had to carry water for wash'n and baths from the well at the bottom of the hill. And like someone already said, "it took a lot of water." Well, after the girls all married off we got this great idea when it rained. There was no down-spout from the gutter on the south-west corner of the house so we'd shed nekkid, grab a wash cloth and a bar of soap (not lye) and get sparklin clean. That rain water would make your clean hair feel like silk. Now keep in mind, we lived at the end of a 2 mile lane with only two other families there and they sure weren't close by. That was the first I ever knew about "showering!" Course that happened only in the summertime!......a long time ago.
there were 6 of us kids, with 5 living here at the homestead which was 4 rooms and a path at that time with no electric or running water. The 6th child was born later after we had moved into town. Our water was from a spring that you had to cross the creek to get to or a rain barrel from the back porch gutter. Water for the chickens was normally just dipped from the creek and their containers filled with a purple pill called a "Walko" tablet. We also got some kind of a coated purple pill that killed pin worms. I once made the mistake of crunching that pill rather than swallowing. YUK!!

When I retired, I bought the homeplace back and expanded it to 6 rooms and a bath and thankful that now the path just goes to the chicken house instead of the outhouse. LOL
boxcar

Columbia, SC

#95689 Jan 30, 2014
Why are they dying? Are they still? Is this still happening?
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#95690 Jan 30, 2014
I have had a multitude of birds feeding at my feeders all winter. Three different feeds and one woodpecker suet, so I am getting many differed breeds. None dead yet.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95694 Jan 30, 2014
Hello, everyone! Oh, I am so hungry! This diet makes me drool whenever a food commercial comes on. But it is a one week diet and surely I'm strong enough to get through it!
I've been catching up and loved the shower and bathing stories. It'd be kinda fun to stand under the downspout to take a shower
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95699 Jan 31, 2014
@Anne... Showering in a gutter down spout might be fun, but I would tend to wait a while until the grit cleans off the shingles. We had a "Y" shaped spout on the end of the down spout that had a trip lever. After the initial rains ran out on the ground, the lever was turned to put only the clean water in the barrel.
Anne

United States

#95701 Jan 31, 2014
A wonderful exfoliating outdoor shower with flowers and roses on a warm summer day? Sounds like an expensive luxury spa shower--in the all together in the great outdoors!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sav a lot 38 min Judy 13
Who's tractor Sherman Lawson Steal ??? 47 min Aum 22
Missing? 1 hr Missing 1
Cumberland Falls 2 hr Dumbasses 7
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr another viewer 163,200
Blue Huron Mine Trestle by Q 2 hr Quantummist 1
A Dew moments of Zen by Q 2 hr Quantummist 2
KEA in Knox is not a Goodin 2 hr voters are not dumb 11
I would like to know if any Knox county teacher... 12 hr Huh 59

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages