Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,784

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Read more

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95351 Jan 9, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
It's 3:28 Thurs. A.M. here now and yesterday, Wed,. it got all the way to 43 degrees! After 10 and 14 degrees for two days, 43 seemed great. Today, it's 70% chance of rain but near 60 after that. I was playing with two different weather maps and both of them said it's all heading N.E. towards Nashville and KY. But it looks as tho the frigid, demoniac weather is over. Maybe I can get out and finish cleaning up the "back fourty" that that tornado passing by left all in a cluttered mess.
When I moved to KY, people said "If you don't like the weather here, wait five minutes and it will change." I thought, what a cute saying!
Now I'm like -- What an accurate saying
%#^**£€<
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95352 Jan 9, 2014
@qwerty.. your analysis does not account for the fact that most major insurance companies have gone to include among other factors such as geographical location, driver's age, sex, usage in miles and car values; they now also use Credit Score rating and the person with a poor score will pay a higher rate based on the exact same factors as a person with a better score. The assumption being that the person with the poor score might get in trouble making the payments and "sell" that heap to the company.

For my own use, I have found it best to shop for a decent used car privately (no dealers or buy here-pay here) and pay cash and carry the mandatory liability only insurance and if I wreck it, so be it and if I don't, I am money ahead. Right now, I have a 2006 model with 110,000 miles that I paid $4k for and it is as good as any new vehicle.
Anne

United States

#95354 Jan 9, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>What is also not taught is the time value of the dollar based on inflation. I bought a 4 bedroom brick home in 1968 for $16,000 and a brand new pickup truck in 1969 for under $2500. Yes, the pickup truck wore out, but I should have bought more real estate and that would have been worth a lot more than money just saved at interest.
Scary thing is, my kids may be saying the same thing we are when they hit their 60's. "We should've bought real estate. We should've done this or that while it was so affordable." Who would have ever thought gas would go from $.17 a gallon to what it is now. Thank God our income increased also!'
Lawn

Indianapolis, IN

#95355 Jan 9, 2014
wow
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95356 Jan 9, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary thing is, my kids may be saying the same thing we are when they hit their 60's. "We should've bought real estate. We should've done this or that while it was so affordable." Who would have ever thought gas would go from $.17 a gallon to what it is now. Thank God our income increased also!'
It just seems more afforable now based on our incomes. At the time I bought the $16k house, my earnings was only $7800 a year and it was a stretch to pay for that "cheap" house, much less save any money and the $7800 was a windfall since I only earned $4800 the year prior. I thought I was rich and it was time to buy a house. LOL
whitehair

Shelbyville, KY

#95357 Jan 9, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>It just seems more afforable now based on our incomes. At the time I bought the $16k house, my earnings was only $7800 a year and it was a stretch to pay for that "cheap" house, much less save any money and the $7800 was a windfall since I only earned $4800 the year prior. I thought I was rich and it was time to buy a house. LOL
We must have come along thru about the same time . My first home cost $9000 but was later sold for $15,000 and took their small home in trade, which later sold for $5000. Sank the $20,ooo into a bigger, better home, then sold for $30,000 as time went by, almost 5 years.

Bought a farm for $70,000 and after 10 years sold for $250,000.

Just before the bust!

One way of car buying has been to get one about one or two years old-still under warranty-keep it till some 150,000 miles, then do it again. We must have learned economics the long ago way.

BTW-temperature here has been -3 degrees several days, then yesterday up to +18 !!! Got up to almost the same +18 this morning . Heat wave!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95358 Jan 9, 2014
@ Querty, wish I had you as an advisor when I was 21. I had a low paying job and did not want to rent. My stepmother helped me and the ex find a place. It has been 23 percent interest since. I bought a place that off the lot was $18,500 after my measely $1,500 downpayment. So far it has depreciated; I have sunk around 48 grande into this place. Hopefully, your information will help another young or older consumer who is not thinking their financial liabilities and savings through thoroughly. Great advise, 18 years ago and today.( By the time it has been fully paid, I will have 58,000 for a piece of junk. The truth hurts, but also being young and dumb;)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95360 Jan 9, 2014
@ AW, had a guy tell me one time that eastern Kentucky has higher insurance rates as well. I found that liability covers me fine. Lol. The other driver will be compensated well. Any hoot, you're accurate in your knowledge that age, location (geo.), credit worthiness have an affect on insurance. Fortunately, no accidents here and the age keeps going up so Geico takes care of us. Hehe. I agree, it's better to privately purchase and not have the middle man to contend. That comes from the School of Hard Knocks.
Anne

United States

#95361 Jan 9, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
...with 110,000 miles that I paid $4k for and it is as good as any new vehicle.
The car we're riding in right now: 2005 Focus. 225,600 miles. Bought in 2006 with 10,000 miles. Still in great shape although I did buy another car a year ago with 34,000 on it (69,000 now). I guess I drive quite a bit :-)

Our first house was $12,000 and about 1100 sq feet. Lived in it 5 years and sold that little place for $32,000. We thought we were rich! Lol the only people that think we are rich now are the grand kids! Lol sheesh.
Anne

United States

#95362 Jan 9, 2014
Misty eyed wrote:
@ AW, had a guy tell me one time that eastern Kentucky has higher insurance rates as well. I found that liability covers me fine. Lol. The other driver will be compensated well. Any hoot, you're accurate in your knowledge that age, location (geo.), credit worthiness have an affect on insurance. Fortunately, no accidents here and the age keeps going up so Geico takes care of us. Hehe. I agree, it's better to privately purchase and not have the middle man to contend. That comes from the School of Hard Knocks.
That School of Hard Knocks. The tuition rate keeps climbing every year. Guess its a never ending process !
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95364 Jan 9, 2014
Misty eyed wrote:
All policy forms and rates must be approved by the Department of Insurance within the states that a company participates and those rates can and do vary based on regions. It is true that some company's rates will be higher in Eastern Kentucky if they have had a particularly high loss experience for the area, while other's rates may not be any higher and could possibly even be lower.... In some cases, a company will even discontinue offering their products in some regions and/or states. When shopping for auto or homeowner insurance, one should compare quotes from various companies and not just go with the same company just because grandpa did. It is also good to re-shop every few years. Also, the premium quoted is not always the only factor to consider. The company's history on settlement should be considered, that is... the cheapest is not always the best.
Harry

Lockport, KY

#95366 Jan 9, 2014
The end is near
whatever

Middlesboro, KY

#95367 Jan 9, 2014
cant find it

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#95368 Jan 9, 2014
You got me John in Revelation told me to tell you all a warning. To actually warn you. So I guess I can watch your commands and live them for the fear of The Lord is great and his love endures forever be wary of the evil one and put on the full armor of God. Those things of you past can rise forth to try to snare you and cause you grief but rely on the truth, repent before God confess Jesus and learn of him to find rest for your souls and endure your hour of temptation.
Anne

United States

#95369 Jan 9, 2014
"New Replacement value" on a homeowners policy sure comes in handy. During that ice storm 5 years ago, our 30 year old 8X10 metal shed took a death blow from a tree limb. That replacement value $$$$?$1,500! Nice. The only thing I wasnt real happy about was what the insurance company gave us for tree removal. Our wood heating neighbor ended up with a lot of firewood! BTW for the few days we were without electricity he supplied our fireplace with free wood.
Hope everyone had a great day!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95370 Jan 9, 2014
Harry wrote:
The end is near
..........so is the toilet paper, it was 3 or 4 pages back!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95371 Jan 10, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
..........so is the toilet paper, it was 3 or 4 pages back!
But the constipated mathematician just took his pencil and worked it out.
Anne

Henderson, TN

#95372 Jan 10, 2014
@MM&AW

....and you were so bright your parents called you SON! Lol.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95373 Jan 10, 2014
Good day fine posters !

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#95375 Jan 10, 2014
Harry wrote:
The end is near
Is that it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Truth 135,202
Tim Corey 1 hr Lisa 4
Kim bingham 2 hr Funny 13
is Terry Smith dating mossie. Brown 2 hr family 2
Porsche mills 6 hr Agree 32
1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo need help 10 hr good luck 4
acer desktop windows 8 11 hr travis 1
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web