Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95265 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodnight! I complained the entire time I was putting Christmas back in the attic. Next year maybe I'll get one of those leg lamps and put it in the window.
I agree Miss E, it isn't nearly as much fun putting away Christmas as it is getting it out. But it does cause me to understand why some people begin decorating so early. I think I'll do the same next Christmas.
Oh, yes, the leg lamp! I am a big Christmas Story fan. This Christmas I received a lot of commemorative things from the movie. Next Christmas, I just know someone will buy me the leg lamp! And yes, I would proudly display it in my front window. LOL

My Happy Place

#95266 Jan 5, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first came into all those old family photos I started grouping them and putting together stories. For example I'd find several pics taken on the same day by the clothes or location. Please keep in mind these pics are close to 80 years old and I'm lucky to have so many. There's one picture story I need to assemble and that's one of my great aunts cars. It seems every time they visited (from ohio) they had a different car and their pic would be taken beside their car.(1930-1950+) I may even have a pic of them with a nice looking horse and buggy.(Hey, these are old pics)
Anne, I think you probably have as much fun as those kids - maybe more. LOL
How wonderful that you have so many old family photos. I enjoy looking at the old pictures too and imagining what was going on at the time. It is always nice to see those family heirlooms fall into the hands of people who appreciates them most.
That's funny about your great aunt's car. I would probably put together a funny story about how she borrowed a different friend's car every time she came to visit, just to impress her country relatives. LOL But, I remember, as a child when relatives would come to visit and it was the mark of success to have a new car. I suppose people wanted to show their relatives back home that they had "made good". One of my relatives I recall would trade cars every year. He wasn't arrogant about it, it was just something he did.

My Happy Place

#95267 Jan 5, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> a manual corn sheller was a metal thumb splint covered in leather with straps that tied around the wrist to keep the splint on. The end projected like a metal finger nail. I have one of those decorating my wall of antique tools.
I also have a hand crank sheller that attaches to a work bench and you feed the entire cob into the thing almost like a sausage grinder and just turn the crank. It sits on the floor and gathers dust since there is no good way to mount it to the wall.
I remember seeing one of the manual corn shellers, but in our family of so many children, WE were the manual corn shellers. LOL I remember trying to shell the corn by rubbing two ears of hard corn together to try and make it easier on the hands. I enjoy looking at the antique tools in the mountain museums and trying to figure out what some of them were used for. I always find it fascinating that our pioneer ancestors were such inventors. My parents were the same way, very ingenious in figuring out how to make do with what they had. How good that you appreciate those things enough to display them. There's only one of the rustic tools I wish I had, that's my dad's old grinding stone that was attached to a post in the barn. It had a wooden handle for turning to sharpen the tools. If I had it I would use it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95268 Jan 5, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Anne, I think you probably have as much fun as those kids - maybe more. LOL
How wonderful that you have so many old family photos. I enjoy looking at the old pictures too and imagining what was going on at the time. It is always nice to see those family heirlooms fall into the hands of people who appreciates them most.
That's funny about your great aunt's car. I would probably put together a funny story about how she borrowed a different friend's car every time she came to visit, just to impress her country relatives. LOL But, I remember, as a child when relatives would come to visit and it was the mark of success to have a new car. I suppose people wanted to show their relatives back home that they had "made good". One of my relatives I recall would trade cars every year. He wasn't arrogant about it, it was just something he did.
This year I went through the old pictures and found as many Christmas photos as possible. I put them all in one album. When the family was in over the holidays, everyone enjoyed looking at pictures from Christmas past. It was also a nice way to remember those from the pictures, that were no longer with us.
Jingles

United States

#95270 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
This year I went through the old pictures and found as many Christmas photos as possible. I put them all in one album. When the family was in over the holidays, everyone enjoyed looking at pictures from Christmas past. It was also a nice way to remember those from the pictures, that were no longer with us.
Love this idea!

My Happy Place

#95271 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a wonderful idea, Miss E. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I can do the same for next season. I am trying to get a jump on next Christmas already. I ordered some Christmas gifts this morning online. I hope to shop all year and get finished early. But, now the trick will be to remember that I have them when Christmas rolls around again. LOL!- Merry Christmas all year long!
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95272 Jan 5, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
<quoted text>That is a wonderful idea, Miss E. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I can do the same for next season. I am trying to get a jump on next Christmas already. I ordered some Christmas gifts this morning online. I hope to shop all year and get finished early. But, now the trick will be to remember that I have them when Christmas rolls around again. LOL!- Merry Christmas all year long!
Smart!! Working on that Christmas list already!! My Christmas wish list includes a 16 roll pack of toilet paper. Easy to buy ahead, but bulky to store for a whole year! Lol Now please, don't talk to AW or MM or they'll have you sending me a bushel of red and white corn cobs!! Lol!!
We just returned from that big box store where Christmas clearance is 75% off . I bought the kit package ($2.24) of 4 small gingerbread houses. Kids get to assemble 2 each, then we place them on a sheet cake around a blue icing "lake" with red Swedish fish, some snowman marshmallows, etc. looks pretty cool. Think I'll add some tea candles and call it a birthday cake. Lol
positive thinker

Novi, MI

#95273 Jan 5, 2014
Jesse Venterua wrote:
Does anyone watch him ,Conspiracy Theories, he showed a weapon the Gov. has that uses sound waves to kill anything, They can bring down planes, buildings, anything, make earthquakes, I believe that's what it is , they are testing it on birds, fish etc.. before people. There's NO other explanation for it,I think he said another country, maybe Russia, I forget for sure,has it to.
Come on guys, all of u are so doom and gloom!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95274 Jan 5, 2014
positive thinker wrote:
<quoted text>Come on guys, all of u are so doom and gloom!
Sorry, positive thinker, Jesse hasn't posted on here for a very long time.
No school around here tomorrow and the kids are anticipating getting a lot of use from their sleds! WhooHoo! No school!!
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95275 Jan 5, 2014
News dude said frostbite will be possible in as little as ten minutes. Be careful out there tomorrow.

Myself, I'm putting a heat tape on my monkey bars.
Hunter

Franklin, KY

#95276 Jan 5, 2014
Fry them baby's up lol
Anne

Paris, TN

#95277 Jan 5, 2014
qwerty wrote:
News dude said frostbite will be possible in as little as ten minutes. Be careful out there tomorrow.

We will be careful, dear qwerty. A little of this cold goes a long way and hot chocolate will be at the ready!
Heat tape on the monkey bars? Lol
That'll work!! There's a heat lamp in the chicken house going full blast. It's still in the low 30's here but it's a'comin'! Lol

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95278 Jan 5, 2014
qwerty wrote:

I'm putting tights on under my dress and fleece lined panties. Brrrr----
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95279 Jan 5, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text> Now please, don't talk to AW or MM or they'll have you sending me a bushel of red and white corn cobs!! Lol!!
Anne,.........how would you like 'em, Fed Ex or UPS? Hey Wolf, I've got the red ones,....you got the whites?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95281 Jan 5, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Anne,.........how would you like 'em, Fed Ex or UPS? Hey Wolf, I've got the red ones,....you got the whites?
I did have some whites but they are all used and are now brown LOL and I thought I might soak them in some lamp oil for fire starters and then they can be become some of that "Hot SH--"
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95282 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm putting tights on under my dress and fleece lined panties. Brrrr----
Oh my failing eyes. I had just finished reading about Anne's heat lamp in the chicken house (mine is cranking also now that my electric is back on) and when I read your post I first thought it said "lights" instead of "tights" and I had visions of you decorating your real leg lamp and putting it in the window. hehehe I suppose that would obsolete qwerty's monkey bars.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95283 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to know your homemade suet recipe. Will you share?
I see my first post didn't take or else it froze somewhere up in the air..!!! So, I'll try again, man, I had such a good format on it too. I'll be glad to share but we got this from either a Country or Birds & Blooms magazine so I can't take the credit.

1 cup lard, 1 cup crunchy peanut butter, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 cup whole wheat flour,
Cream of Wheat or oatmeal, 2 cups cornmeal. Optional: raisins, sunflower seeds (w/o shells) dried fruit or eggshells.

Melt lard and peanut butter together then add all the other stuff and...get ready for a work-out,.."MIX WELL!" I crunch the egg shells up pretty fine with a rolling pin.....and it's messy!! but mixes well. Put in square plastic bowls saved from commercial suet, cover with wax paper and store in freezer. I cut the holes out bigger in the square wire feeders so the birds can get to the suet easier. Good Luck.
Zebra Finch Breeder

Morehead, KY

#95284 Jan 5, 2014
Funny how my pet birds have never been sick, and in fact remain extremely healthy. I think what was killing those birds has to do with the chemtrails the jets are spraying to fight global warming. It also explains all the sea-life which has died in massive amounts like fish etc. But that is just my opinion. If it sounds silly search "chemtrails", there is some really good youtube videos of this stuff.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95290 Jan 5, 2014
@ Miss E.......You'll get about 5 small feeder pans of this in one mix. We usually double everything and then only have to make it up twice a winter. If any questions come up, just holler!

@ Wolf.........your "cabin in the woods" sounds like you really enjoy it, and don't blame you a bit. But I like to feed the birds, if for no other reason, just to see them all congregate and fuss over it! Cardinals, the titmouse, chickadees, etc do not flock together in near a great a quantity as starlings, blackbirds, cowbirds, etc do. So it's a pretty picture for that much "RED" in one group, especially when it snows.
hmm

Louisville, KY

#95291 Jan 5, 2014
wow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tara 23 min heard 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 54 min ChromiuMan 148,868
School board member chooses liquor over KIDS ! 1 hr Monopoly 9
Liquor License to locals only 2 hr Monopoly 1
KCHS principal 2 hr Survey 22
Shawntaea and curt Brown? 2 hr friend 13
Kendra Bingham Messer 4 hr Crystal 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages