Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95237 Jan 4, 2014
Sounds like Paradise, AW. You are truly blessed. Not all of us are privileged to live as you describe, so we must therefore create our own reality somewhere between Daniel Boone and Bonanza. LOL....I think I could have been a good pioneer. It's in my blood.. It sounds as though you are one, in a manner of speaking. I hope civilization never encroaches on you. Have a warm and blessed day!
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95238 Jan 4, 2014
I throw out all kinds of foodstuffs that have expired for the birds. The only thing they haven't eaten so far was a stale can of potato sticks. Can't blame them for that. Did you know birds loooove sloppy-joe?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95239 Jan 4, 2014
qwerty wrote:
I throw out all kinds of foodstuffs that have expired for the birds. The only thing they haven't eaten so far was a stale can of potato sticks. Can't blame them for that. Did you know birds loooove sloppy-joe?
There is not much that birds and chickens won't eat. They epecially like old picante dip and pork-n-beans. I keep outdated salt pork for my chickens and I think it helps with egg production. I like to watch the roosters find things and then stand back and call the hens to come get the treats. I once saw the roosters not sharing with the hens and was pleased that they fought over and kept the mouse for themselves. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95240 Jan 4, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
Hey friends,
With the temperatures on Monday dipping as low as negative 3, the homeless shelters and organizations are seeking donations of used coats, winter wear and blankets. If you have anything you can donate, please contact your local community action organization.
We are all so richly blessed.
"There but for the grace of God, go I"
John Bradford
Local 5 day forecast reflects a low on Monday of a negative 4 and the high of a positive 4. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95241 Jan 4, 2014
Finally made it up to 30* this morning! But I know its going to hit us hard for several days. Brrrr!
Lol. Just thinking about AW's deer. While I was checking out the fresh snow yesterday morning there were deer tracks by the house and its not unusual to pull into the driveway and see 4/5 deer in our way. The deer population has exploded around here in the last 20+years. We did have a flock of turkeys but I do believe the loggers frightened them and they moved to a more quiet area :-(
Oh, but the sunshine is beautiful today! It's a 2 egg kind of day!! Lol
dae

Owensboro, KY

#95243 Jan 4, 2014
that's crazy
Anne

United States

#95244 Jan 4, 2014
Guess we've got our supplies on hand for the cold snowy days. Think I'll make a pot of chili and a large pan of brownies. Grand kids come home tonight and tomorrow is grandsons birthday. We've bought him a headlight and will give him clues to go search for his gift ...after dark... Last clue has a shovel beside it and he must dig for his treasure box as "X" marks the spot. In consideration of the cold we only did three clues and did not bury the prize very deep.

My Happy Place

#95251 Jan 4, 2014
Anne wrote:
Guess we've got our supplies on hand for the cold snowy days. Think I'll make a pot of chili and a large pan of brownies. Grand kids come home tonight and tomorrow is grandsons birthday. We've bought him a headlight and will give him clues to go search for his gift ...after dark... Last clue has a shovel beside it and he must dig for his treasure box as "X" marks the spot. In consideration of the cold we only did three clues and did not bury the prize very deep.
Hi, Anne, mind if I crash your party? lol You sound like a fun grandma. I hope you enjoy your grandchildren this weekend. It sounds as though it's a guaranteed good time!

My Happy Place

#95252 Jan 4, 2014
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes a certain ancestor's name will just keep popping up until I have to acknowledge them, and I usually find a real nugget of information on them when that happens. It keeps me out of trouble on these cold days. lol

I kept thinking on those corn cobs all of you were discussing, but nothing relevant ever came to my mind on the subject. I do recall sitting in the corn crib shelling corn for the chickens when I was a child. I even still remember the smell, a mixture of musky corn, dust, and mice. And the shelling was a little bit rough on young, tender hands.That's about all I have to contribute on that subject, but I do enjoy reading what everyone else has to say on that and other subjects. Sweet dreams, everyone. Stay safe and warm. Goodnight!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95253 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes a certain ancestor's name will just keep popping up until I have to acknowledge them, and I usually find a real nugget of information on them when that happens. It keeps me out of trouble on these cold days. lol

I kept thinking on those corn cobs all of you were discussing, but nothing relevant ever came to my mind on the subject. I do recall sitting in the corn crib shelling corn for the chickens when I was a child. I even still remember the smell, a mixture of musky corn, dust, and mice. And the shelling was a little bit rough on young, tender hands.That's about all I have to contribute on that subject, but I do enjoy reading what everyone else has to say on that and other subjects. Sweet dreams, everyone. Stay safe and warm. Goodnight!
Goodnight! I complained the entire time I was putting Christmas back in the attic. Next year maybe I'll get one of those leg lamps and put it in the window.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95254 Jan 4, 2014
Lol! Sure, DR, come on down!! After he read the first clue and figured out there was more than a small headlamp to the gift he took off to find the next clue. We had a great time watching him run around in the dark with that headlamp shining!
Another family member has a birthday on Tuesday so I've got to come up with another unique gift presentation. Heeheehee . I'll get 'em good!!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95255 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up.
When I first came into all those old family photos I started grouping them and putting together stories. For example I'd find several pics taken on the same day by the clothes or location. Please keep in mind these pics are close to 80 years old and I'm lucky to have so many. There's one picture story I need to assemble and that's one of my great aunts cars. It seems every time they visited (from ohio) they had a different car and their pic would be taken beside their car.(1930-1950+) I may even have a pic of them with a nice looking horse and buggy.(Hey, these are old pics)
Anne

Paris, TN

#95256 Jan 4, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodnight! I complained the entire time I was putting Christmas back in the attic. Next year maybe I'll get one of those leg lamps and put it in the window.
Love that leg lamp idea!! It sure would give the neighbors something to talk about!!

Pleasant dreams bird threaders!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95257 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
a manual corn sheller was a metal thumb splint covered in leather with straps that tied around the wrist to keep the splint on. The end projected like a metal finger nail. I have one of those decorating my wall of antique tools.

I also have a hand crank sheller that attaches to a work bench and you feed the entire cob into the thing almost like a sausage grinder and just turn the crank. It sits on the floor and gathers dust since there is no good way to mount it to the wall.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95258 Jan 4, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting away my Christmas was easy. I put my 18 inch tall pre-decorated tree back in the box, closed the lid, and stuck it back in the closet. If I survive to next year, I can decorate in about 5 minutes by taking it out of the box, reattaching any trinkets that might have come loose, place it on the table in front of the window and plug it in. Walla!!,, Christmas LOL My motto is "KISS"....(keep it simple, stupid)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95259 Jan 4, 2014
I had to wake up and do something different to clear my brain from my dream. I was dreaming that I was trying to balance the late wife's checkbook... a real nightmare... LOL
chuck

United States

#95260 Jan 5, 2014
Did they ever find out what killed the birds?
arkansasman

Antioch, TN

#95262 Jan 5, 2014
Now y'all see how we felt down south...lol. I think our government is spraying something in the air or putting it in our water and the birds how else would you explain it ppl.
arkansasman

Antioch, TN

#95263 Jan 5, 2014
Its our government..putting something in the air or water
Love

Elizabethtown, KY

#95264 Jan 5, 2014
This is cray cray

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What has the east Barbourville pastor done ? 57 min Hun 6
Barbourville City Teachers 1 hr Explain 3
Three liquor stores in bville 1 hr well 9
Pull an absess tooth? is that dangerous (Sep '08) 1 hr Bek-Bek333 66
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr ChromiuMan 148,957
JR SMITH snitch 2 hr Knows 14
green beans 3 hr Lottie 2
KCHS principal 3 hr Explain 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages