Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81766 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#94705 Dec 8, 2013
USS ARIZONA wrote:
Today was December 7th, the 72nd anniversary of the "Date that Shall Live in Infamy". Insofar as I have seen in the news, there was no mention of it from the White House or from anyone else in Washington, Democrat or Republican. Google did not even put up a special logo for it.
Remember Pearl Harbor. More than 2,400 American sailors and soldiers killed. Forgotten.
Actually, there were more sailors lost their lives on Dec 7, 1941 than did in the entire World War 1. I was not alive to witness that event, but was only a sparkle in my father's eye But I have studied enough American history to remember that and many other events where "Some Gave ALL".

But you are right, it seems like some of our National Leaders would have given it at least an honorable mention. Thank Goodness for the History Channel. That was the only reference I saw except one other channel showed the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora".

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94706 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Not me, I guess I have been blessed to find my little piece of heaven on earth. I have no desire to go anywhere any more. I don't even care much about going to the store and doubtful that I will risk trying to get out of here this morning to attend church. A lot of ice out there.

I can read my Bible and find some old gospel songs and try to sing along without the dog howling too much. LOL And I surely don't need another misguided human being (preacher or teacher and especially Pastor Fat Wallet on the television) telling me their perception on how I should or should not live. I take my directions from GOD and only GOD. And a good day to all. It seems like a really good morning for biscuits and sausage gravy. LOL
I'll join you!
There was a time in my life, when I was a child that my world was a dark and scary plsce. It would be many years before I learned about the beauty and peace of God, yet I still knew. I was playing this old hymn the other day and was filled with such a sweet peace.
Be Still My Soul Hymn

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, be leaving, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#94707 Dec 8, 2013
@Miss E.. song by P.P. Bliss and H.G. Stafford copyright 1904:

When Peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll:
Whatever my lot, Thou hast brought me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul"
Anne

Duluth, GA

#94708 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Miss E.. song by P.P. Bliss and H.G. Stafford copyright 1904:

When Peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll:
Whatever my lot, Thou hast brought me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul"

P.P. Bliss penned the words to this while looking out over the water where the ship had gone down with his children on it. Tragic time in his life.
(Not saying stafford didnt have a hand in the song)
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#94709 Dec 8, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
P.P. Bliss penned the words to this while looking out over the water where the ship had gone down with his children on it. Tragic time in his life.
Pliss wrote the lyrics, Stafford put it to music.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#94710 Dec 8, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Google history, it was the other way around and Stafford penned the words and P.P. Bliss set it to music. In 1870, Horatio Stafford jr.(4 years old) died of scarlet fever, then in 1871 Stafford lost nearly everything in the Great Chicago fire, and to appease their sorrow, he sent his wife and daughters on a trip to England and in 1873 the steamer "Ville Du Havre" hit the ship that Stafford's wife and daughters were aboard and their ship sank in 12 minutes.

P.P. Bliss (a musician) put the words to music in 1876 and was the first to sing the song in public.

Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#94711 Dec 8, 2013
mea culpa, it was "Spafford", not "Stafford" and his wife Anna survived the ship wreck, but his 4 daughters did not. He had stayed at home over some zoning issues resulting from the Great Chicago fire and sent the wife and daughters on ahead. Ville Du Havre was their ship that sank and Spafford first titled his lyrics after the ship's name. Interesting what one can learn via Google.

Location hidden

#94712 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
mea culpa, it was "Spafford", not "Stafford" and his wife Anna survived the ship wreck, but his 4 daughters did not. He had stayed at home over some zoning issues resulting from the Great Chicago fire and sent the wife and daughters on ahead. Ville Du Havre was their ship that sank and Spafford first titled his lyrics after the ship's name. Interesting what one can learn via Google.
How tragic. What a testament to the human spirits ability to survive and the comfort of our creator
qwerty

Butler, KY

#94713 Dec 8, 2013
It's a good day for getting on with your Christmas preparations, especially if you've still got to decorate your monkey bars. You can even bake some cookies! Well, what are you waiting for? It will be surprisingly painful and cold once you get into the swing of it. International contacts are positively weird right now, and you might even receive an invitation to stay with someone who lives a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oong way away.
3Wheeler

Paducah, KY

#94715 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Aloha
Me and The Mizzez think Hawaii is the closest thing to heaven we'll ever see on this Earth! XXO's, Fellas--maybe we'll see you there!!!
Anne

Duluth, GA

#94717 Dec 8, 2013
qwerty wrote:
It's a good day for getting on with your Christmas preparations, especially if you've still got to decorate your monkey bars. You can even bake some cookies! Well, what are you waiting for? It will be surprisingly painful and cold once you get into the swing of it. International contacts are positively weird right now, and you might even receive an invitation to stay with someone who lives a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oong way away.
Cookies just came out of the oven. Mmmmm! And I'm staying with someone a looong way away. Not far enough to be a looooooooooooooooong way but far enough.
Helter pete

London, KY

#94718 Dec 8, 2013
It was sunny and in the high fifties. Off Kirby cove I emptied the earn, the ashes spread out into the pacific waves, may they find their way to Hawaii. I was happy there for a time, for some reason I cant explain.

I couldn't go on to the Islands myself, without you gals.
I now have more money than I have ever had at one time in all my life. What shall I do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BTW I can date now, Nanny.
Helter pete

London, KY

#94719 Dec 8, 2013
I guess this will be my last post for quite a spell. I have some things to do here, then I am leaving for a while. I have some places to go and some things to see. I think I'll be leaving this weekend Lord willing. It has been great knowing you guys on here.
Goodbye.

Location hidden

#94720 Dec 8, 2013
Helter pete wrote:
I guess this will be my last post for quite a spell. I have some things to do here, then I am leaving for a while. I have some places to go and some things to see. I think I'll be leaving this weekend Lord willing. It has been great knowing you guys on here.
Goodbye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nUeDvMphGI4XX
Big kiss and safe travels from me---

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#94721 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, there were more sailors lost their lives on Dec 7, 1941 than did in the entire World War 1. I was not alive to witness that event, but was only a sparkle in my father's eye But I have studied enough American history to remember that and many other events where "Some Gave ALL".
But you are right, it seems like some of our National Leaders would have given it at least an honorable mention. Thank Goodness for the History Channel. That was the only reference I saw except one other channel showed the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora".
I agree with you, AW. There was one documentary on the military channel, as well, I believe. But there were no formal honors out of Washington, and that is such a shame. My friend's father, now deceased just 2 years ago, was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese bombed. I remember him telling us how horrific it was when the ships were on fire, and men jumped overboard to escape the flames, only to be burned by the oil which stayed on fire in the ocean. Most folks take for granted what the "greatest generation" did for all of us. I may be out of sync with with the general population these days, but for me, Patriotism still lives, albeit in a gentle slumber.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#94722 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Hatfields and McCoys are rebelling on the History Channel but on AMC, Mrs. Hogwaller has R U N N O F T and later today, Pete will turn into a horny toad again and the Soggy Bottom Boys will sing "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow.(Probably because Everett can't get any Dapper Dan Pomade).
Loved "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou" The music score was a combination of old and new recordings, but a little known fact was that Allison Krause and Union Station recorded at least one of those in Cambridge, Ma...my old stomping grounds.
Anne

Owensboro, KY

#94723 Dec 8, 2013
Helter pete wrote:
Goodbye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nUeDvMphGI4XX
You take care, dear friend of ours. Please come back and tell us of your great adventures.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94724 Dec 8, 2013
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

I think, she would want you to enjoy yourself and be happy;) Your heart knows...Enjoy Helter Pete!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#94725 Dec 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> My favorite line in "The Cowboys" is when Mr. Nightlinger tells that old hooker madame " I have the inclination and the where-with-all, but quite frankly I just don't have the time" LOL
Another of The Dukes lines, tho I can't name the movie, was when that saloon damsel asked him if he was having a day off and he pointedly replied: "No, I'm have'n a off day!" I read somewhere that all his lines were written short for him because he couldn't remember them if they were long. Don't rightly know.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#94726 Dec 8, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Cookies just came out of the oven. Mmmmm!
Awwwhhh Anne,...just look at you,....me being a diabetic and you're talking about fresh, warm cookies! Boy, what I wouldn't give for a chocolate chip, peanut butter or one of them great big macadamiun nut cookies (or two) and a glass of milk. OOooooh, whoe is me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allen and Haley townsley unfit parents 3 min haley 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Researcher 138,199
Disability Fraud 29 min NoGod 6
lynn camp 1 hr Parent 7
Romeo's restaurant to be on restaurant impossible! 4 hr Sharon 28
Whose the blonde prostitute that walks in town ... 5 hr Bite 1
Where Did The Town Prostitute Go (May '14) 6 hr black homie 12
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]