Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
77,821 - 77,840 of 81,602 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
qwerty

Hillsboro, OH

#92649 Sep 14, 2013
Snake handlers put on their boogie shoes...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/840751/snake_ha...
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92650 Sep 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't intend to go to one of these but between my sisters house and their church they had to pass a church that practiced the taking up serpents belief. Umm, somewhere in Alabama -- not the Appalachians .
I wondered how far it spread, I think it originated in the Carolinas or west Virginia. I have seen pictures of women with their stocking feet in a stoker-matic, stirring those hot coals around and then after pics of the feet. The stockings were intact, no burns on the skin. Never witnessed that first hand though. To each their own I'll always be kind of a non-racist confederate.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92651 Sep 14, 2013
qwerty wrote:
Snake handlers put on their boogie shoes...
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/840751/snake_ha...
It wont play qwerty. I'll try find it on YT. My shockwave has been acting up.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92652 Sep 14, 2013
Well I came up with this qwerty. Ladies please dont watch this one.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92654 Sep 14, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hi everyone. Took me a long time to catch up with the comments. Glad to see everyone having happy happy happy days! Things here are good, thanks to the good Lord above.. I'm loving these cool nights. Don't like thinking about winter coming upon us so soon, but it is what it is.
Blessings to all of you.
_-_Nope_-_
Hey toots! You forgot to leave with...

-poof- lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92655 Sep 14, 2013
I was reading today of the Confederate women and children's "Bread Riots" of April 2, 1863 in Richmond Va. and the Confederate Congress' levy to force a "tithe" of 10 % of all farm products enacted on Apr. 24, 1863. Protest meetings were organized all over the South.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92656 Sep 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I was reading today of the Confederate women and children's "Bread Riots" of April 2, 1863 in Richmond Va. and the Confederate Congress' levy to force a "tithe" of 10 % of all farm products enacted on Apr. 24, 1863. Protest meetings were organized all over the South.
I drove a guy out to the veterans hospitable in Richmond Va. a few years ago for some surgery, I went to a lot of those civil war historical sites and battlegrounds while I was there. The Chesapeake bay area alone has more than a man could visit in a week. One period cemetery went on and on and on, all those csa graves...what a bloody time that was.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92657 Sep 14, 2013
well I am off to read a bit more of Civil War chronicles. Good Night all.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92658 Sep 14, 2013
Gotta get to bed, its fooled around and gotten late on me.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92659 Sep 14, 2013
Night boys!

Location hidden

#92660 Sep 14, 2013
Night girls. I'm off to bed too--
Really

Morehead, KY

#92661 Sep 14, 2013
Oh
Billet

Chicago Heights, IL

#92662 Sep 15, 2013
Might be some kind of natural occurance
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92663 Sep 15, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I drove a guy out to the veterans hospitable in Richmond Va. a few years ago for some surgery, I went to a lot of those civil war historical sites and battlegrounds while I was there. The Chesapeake bay area alone has more than a man could visit in a week. One period cemetery went on and on and on, all those csa graves...what a bloody time that was.
You don't really consider just how bloody it was until you compare the 3 days of Gettysburg of July 1-3, 1863 and realize that the number of casualties there were nearly the same as the entire Vietnam era. And if you include the seige of Vicksburg Mississippi that ended on the next day of July 4th, it was even more.

But the worst single day casualty count was Antietam with 12,649 Union and 13,724 Confederate casualties.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92664 Sep 15, 2013
Much of the high casualty count of the Civil War has been attributed to the battle strategies having not kept pace with advances in technology. Strategies from the Napoleonic days included marching head long in columns with the advance column dropping to their knees to fire then while they were reloading the archaic weapons, the standing column behind them would fire.

The advances including the Sharp's rifle I posted about earlier was one item, but also the rifled cannons first used during the Civil War that could fire further as well as using various loads such as grape shot, cannisters or the round cannon balls. The cannisters exploded on impact with all manner of shrapnel that could take out an entire company. Hot air balloons were first employed also to help pinpoint the enemy's locations.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92665 Sep 15, 2013
Mortar rounds were used successfully also. I first saw the use of those at the 145th Anniversary re-enactment of Gettysburg where a group of Confederates won a "competition" by being able to explode a bale of hay at 200 yards distance. The Union group missed.

But the most impressive was a line of about 30 cannons with them firing down the line with one right after the other. Lee's leader of the cannon brigrade under General James Longstreet (who had replaced Stonewall Jackson upon Jackson's death) was Colonel Edward Porter Alexander who was only 28 years old at the time of the Gettysburg campaign.
Anne

United States

#92666 Sep 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really consider just how bloody it was until you compare the 3 days of Gettysburg of July 1-3, 1863 and realize that the number of casualties there were nearly the same as the entire Vietnam era. And if you include the seige of Vicksburg Mississippi that ended on the next day of July 4th, it was even more.
But the worst single day casualty count was Antietam with 12,649 Union and 13,724 Confederate casualties.
26000+ casualties in one day. Tragic. And please understand I am not taking away anything from "our boys" now in the military, but with our "advances in warfare" and current losses compared to how things used to be in wars and other military actions, why almost everyone
comes marching home. But we lose a tremendous amout of young people to PTSD. And that is a cruel fate. So our losses take place just the same, just in a different way.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92667 Sep 15, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
26000+ casualties in one day. Tragic. And please understand I am not taking away anything from "our boys" now in the military, but with our "advances in warfare" and current losses compared to how things used to be in wars and other military actions, why almost everyone
comes marching home. But we lose a tremendous amout of young people to PTSD. And that is a cruel fate. So our losses take place just the same, just in a different way.
I agree in not taking anything away from "our boys" and I am sure PTSD even occured back then but was not labeled as such. If you include all those that died from later infections of wounds and other diseases the Civil War casualties exceeded the total American losses of all other wars combined. For example, over 2000 enlistees (right here within a few miles of my homestead) died from measles.
Imposter

London, KY

#92668 Sep 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree in not taking anything away from "our boys" and I am sure PTSD even occured back then but was not labeled as such. If you include all those that died from later infections of wounds and other diseases the Civil War casualties exceeded the total American losses of all other wars combined. For example, over 2000 enlistees (right here within a few miles of my homestead) died from measles.
Old Wolf you would have been a great teacher. Critical thinking beats out date/fact intelligence any day and man Oh man...
Anyways, yeah you would have been one of those teachers that a man remembered at sixty because he made it fun to learn and actually gave a damn about the kids. The smartest guy in the room right here folks, its not me if that's not obvious enough LMAO. Two years now I've known the old mutt (on here) and the old scruffy thing just keeps getting better!
LOL I have nothing but admiration for you anymore wolf, man you'd a made a good teacher, especially history and what we need to learn from it. If you wasn't about a thousand years old I'd try to get you to teach online I know you have MORE that enough credentials.
I dont know though....you also have enough tech exp to tell when students crack your class's answer key poups...lol

Good day wolf that was some good reading there.

Location hidden

#92669 Sep 15, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Old Wolf you would have been a great teacher. Critical thinking beats out date/fact intelligence any day and man Oh man...
Anyways, yeah you would have been one of those teachers that a man remembered at sixty because he made it fun to learn and actually gave a damn about the kids. The smartest guy in the room right here folks, its not me if that's not obvious enough LMAO. Two years now I've known the old mutt (on here) and the old scruffy thing just keeps getting better!
LOL I have nothing but admiration for you anymore wolf, man you'd a made a good teacher, especially history and what we need to learn from it. If you wasn't about a thousand years old I'd try to get you to teach online I know you have MORE that enough credentials.
I dont know though....you also have enough tech exp to tell when students crack your class's answer key poups...lol

Good day wolf that was some good reading there.
I would have so had a crush on Ancient Wolf if he was my teacher. Oh Mr Wolf , I think I need some private study time.
lol----
I am interested in learning more about the female role in the Civil War. I guess I just pictured a bunch of Scarlett O'hare types weeping and running about the plantation

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min Jay 151,433
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 42 min Do the right thing 2,022
Rickie smith from1304 1 hr maybe 4
Holly or Nikki who will Brett pick 2 hr Old friends 3
stacy and eddie afair at union 2 hr really 9
Is Gary Williams won the Mayors race ? 2 hr duh 39
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 3 hr Yep 32
Kentucky Fried Chicken 4 hr chicky 12
Walmart Supercenter Sun Bigdaddy 6
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••