Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,681

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92610 Sep 14, 2013
When I went into the military, there was no particular Patriotic fervor. We only knew there would always be food, clothing, and a roof of some kind over our heads and we would be able to go somewhere and have passage into adulthood and not be left behind to be forever considered to be a "wimp". And that would be better than trying to subsist on no job or a low paying job (if we could even get one).

We had no idea why there was even a war or where it was being fought geographically? I don't think anything much has changed and wars would be different or end entirely if the recruits were more experienced with "life".
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92611 Sep 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very interesting. One of my favorite eras is the impact WWII had on the traditional role of women
To fight a war for a country that had not yet given women the right to vote (19th amendment ) is intriguing
I suppose it was and is all about survival and having a job and has certain similarities to young people fighting today for a country where in most places they can't even legally buy a beer.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92612 Sep 14, 2013
And the defense contracts get larger and larger.

Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92613 Sep 14, 2013
I have a deer stand on my property, and its not mine. I have clearly marked NO HUNTING all around but someone must not be able to read or just dont care.
I'm heading out to take it down (if I can get to it, hope the tree isn't oak lol) right now.
Wish me luck folks, I have nothing against hunting, personally I dont get a big thrill out of killing anything, I have always needed food before I would hunt...The deer have always had a safe haven on my land and I intend to keep it that way. Anyways wish me luck, I'd hate it if some pecker-wood shot me this morning. But the deer stand is coming down today one way or the other.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92614 Sep 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very interesting. One of my favorite eras is the impact WWII had on the traditional role of women
To fight a war for a country that had not yet given women the right to vote (19th amendment ) is intriguing
An interesting follow-up to the Sarah Rosetta (alias Lyons) Wakeman story in a later letter to her father where she hoped that the money she earned as a masquerading male Union soldier expected to come home with the money to pay off her father's debts and was not fearful of battles. But died in July 1864 without accomplishing that goal or ever having her secret revealed. Understanably, her demise was from chronic diarrhea.(I would say that 2 years of Civil War battles would have given me the back door trots as well).

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92615 Sep 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>An interesting follow-up to the Sarah Rosetta (alias Lyons) Wakeman story in a later letter to her father where she hoped that the money she earned as a masquerading male Union soldier expected to come home with the money to pay off her father's debts and was not fearful of battles. But died in July 1864 without accomplishing that goal or ever having her secret revealed. Understanably, her demise was from chronic diarrhea.(I would say that 2 years of Civil War battles would have given me the back door trots as well).
She survived battle but for the need of Imodium went to her deathbed---
Irony
Anne

United States

#92618 Sep 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
They are having a reenactment down at Fort Boonesboro next weekend.
I've had a lot of fun with the reenactments and festivals lately . That Reno brothers thing I went to last weekend? Well, the Reno brothers claim to "fame" is that they started the train robberies way back when. I guess someone had to be first.. This weekend is a heritage festival with antique tractors, sawmills, and all the arts, crafts and food a person can stand. And then North of that ohio river this weekend is a Scottish Highland games festival with an European car show . Glasgow ky has the Scottish games also but I'm not sure when.

Location hidden

#92619 Sep 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>I've had a lot of fun with the reenactments and festivals lately . That Reno brothers thing I went to last weekend? Well, the Reno brothers claim to "fame" is that they started the train robberies way back when. I guess someone had to be first.. This weekend is a heritage festival with antique tractors, sawmills, and all the arts, crafts and food a person can stand. And then North of that ohio river this weekend is a Scottish Highland games festival with an European car show . Glasgow ky has the Scottish games also but I'm not sure when.
I spent the morning at the Lexington Farmers Market. The weather was gorgeous! I drove home Athens/ Boonesboro way and the scenery was so spectacular. I fall in love with Kentucky every time the seasons start the change. I bought some white sweet potatoes at market-- never tried those before
Anne

United States

#92620 Sep 14, 2013
Imposter wrote:
I have a deer stand on my property, and its not mine. I have clearly marked NO HUNTING all around but someone must not be able to read or just dont care.
I'm heading out to take it down (if I can get to it, hope the tree isn't oak lol) right now.
Wish me luck folks, I have nothing against hunting, personally I dont get a big thrill out of killing anything, I have always needed food before I would hunt...The deer have always had a safe haven on my land and I intend to keep it that way. Anyways wish me luck, I'd hate it if some pecker-wood shot me this morning. But the deer stand is coming down today one way or the other.
Oh my, it's that time of year again. I haven't put out my signs yet so I'd better get busy. I glued those cheap plastic no trespassing signs to some leftover plywood and Plan to attach then to various trees. I'm hoping my grandson helps with that project . My property backs up to a state forest and there's a lot of hunters that think they can do what they want just anywhere they want. Hmmmm... Perhaps the poison ivy patch will be a part of my attack plan... Lol heeheehee
Anne

United States

#92621 Sep 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent the morning at the Lexington Farmers Market. The weather was gorgeous! I drove home Athens/ Boonesboro way and the scenery was so spectacular. I fall in love with Kentucky every time the seasons start the change. I bought some white sweet potatoes at market-- never tried those before
Sheesh, haven't been to lex in quite a while !! That was thepoint for the "drop off- pick up" for the kids and then a daughter lived there for a dozen years or so. Kentucky is a very beautiful state and I especially enjoy the mountain parkway!! I've never tried the white sweet potatoes so let us know the verdict !!
This morning I was" sittin in the morning sun" in the rowboat in heavy misty fog. Exhilarating ( freaking cold too)!!!
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92622 Sep 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my, it's that time of year again. I haven't put out my signs yet so I'd better get busy. I glued those cheap plastic no trespassing signs to some leftover plywood and Plan to attach then to various trees. I'm hoping my grandson helps with that project . My property backs up to a state forest and there's a lot of hunters that think they can do what they want just anywhere they want. Hmmmm... Perhaps the poison ivy patch will be a part of my attack plan... Lol heeheehee
Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against hunting in season, or out of season if a man's kids were hungry, BUT as a sport eh I just dont see much sport in it. Maybe if the deer had an AK-47 LOL
But anyways that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Now when you see 1000 buck guns and 3 or 4 hundred buck stands and then 3 or 4 hundred more in camo and accessories...does that guy really need that deer meat so bad? He could buy a lot of grub with that kind of scrilla.
Eh, I dont care what they do what good would it do anyway.
I got the stand and left a note as to where they could pick it up at. I had a sign nailed to a tree IN SIGHT of the stand!
I hope whoever it belongs to comes to claim it, I need to have a word with them.
Good evening Anne, MissE and all the rest.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#92623 Sep 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And here I was thinking how hilarious it would be if my ex hunted out there on your property. Hehehe. Poison ivy, now that is a terrific idea. Rose bushes as well. Thorns galore.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92624 Sep 14, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> And here I was thinking how hilarious it would be if my ex hunted out there on your property. Hehehe. Poison ivy, now that is a terrific idea. Rose bushes as well. Thorns galore.
I just dont like killing out of necessity I know a man has a right and I always said to each their own. I was raised killing things, dressing, salting, hanging, smoking and freezing all sorts of furry and feathered little critters. I hunted and trapped too when I was told to. I had no choice the old man was just that way. If you got attached to any of the livestock you could be sure of one thing...you would be the one that killed it when the time came. He said it was God's will and that was that.
I did keep hogs until recently but I always had neighbors do the dirty work for part of the meat.
I guess I've went completely soft LOl its food city and save a lot now. Good evening misty, you. How about some more poetry in the next day or two hon? Some of them were pretty good. I officially put in a request.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92626 Sep 14, 2013
I don't have that much land myself, only 2 acres adjacent to 600 more acres of private woods with a locked gate at the road dead-ending at my place. The 600 acres of private woods ends at the river and my homestead is the last stop and the only way hunters can get into the woods is stop at my house or come up river. Obviously if they stop at my house and try to park in my driveway, Dog and I will tell them where they can go. LOL

The other side is about 100 acres of pasture between here and the main highway and has cattle. The deer don't normally venture in there anyways since it is all cleared and no place for hunters to make a stand or to hide.

The deer and other wildlife know that my place is a safe haven. It is not unusual to see deer here or sometimes as many as a dozen rabbits, the occasional oppossum or raccoon. I can hear coyotes over in the woods but I have never seen any. I have ample weaponry including a high powered rifle, but I am not a hunter and like Imposter, I don't see it as a "sport". My sport is to sit quietly and see how long I can keep the deer on the Haven without them jumping the fence. Dog has even learned that I do not want him to move to frighten my scenery away.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92628 Sep 14, 2013
I did not know that Qwerty was religous and here he is speaking in tongues. hehehe

Location hidden

#92629 Sep 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I did not know that Qwerty was religous and here he is speaking in tongues. hehehe
If he starts falling out in the spirit -- I got this covered. Spent a few years in a Deep South Louisiana Pentecostal church.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#92630 Sep 14, 2013
Calling it a goodnight to All the pleasant Folk. This one is for you, Imposter. May love and peace surround you;)
"Nothing Gold Can Stay" Leaves of Gold ( to me)
- Alfred R. Ferguson, Oct. 1923
Nature's first green is gold,Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf a flower, But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf, So Eden sank to grief.
So dawn goes down to day; Nothing gold can stay.

Blessings to All,nite.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92631 Sep 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
If he starts falling out in the spirit -- I got this covered. Spent a few years in a Deep South Louisiana Pentecostal church.
I visited some of those a couple times many years ago and the last time some old gal did fall out in the spirit... but later they learned that her spirit came out of a bottle. LOL
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92633 Sep 14, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
Calling it a goodnight to All the pleasant Folk. This one is for you, Imposter. May love and peace surround you;)
"Nothing Gold Can Stay" Leaves of Gold ( to me)
- Alfred R. Ferguson, Oct. 1923
Nature's first green is gold,Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf a flower, But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf, So Eden sank to grief.
So dawn goes down to day; Nothing gold can stay.
Blessings to All,nite.
Thanks misty, that was a good'n! Please do an original soon. If you get the time and dont mind.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#92634 Sep 14, 2013
I'm one of those grumpy old men up in the balcony qwerty....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If McGhee is this dirty in Campaign, Imagine on... 12 min 30 Votes 16
Indictments 12 min Shoe salesman 65
Tyrone Blalock's unfaithful. 15 min Nosey rosey 3
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 57 min Mike Duquette 131,394
Peace/Brown-A 1 hr Piggy Tails 6
election drawing near 1 hr Vet 4
Mike Warren embezzled money? 2 hr Kenitha 14
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 5 hr Door knob 72
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 16 hr observing 27
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance