Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,736

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92193 Aug 30, 2013
Imposter wrote:
I went to take my medicine from miss Cratchet the hatchet, she caught up to us in the common room and I was scolded a little but that's about it. I started to come back with a choice word or two of my own but I held my tongue. It was kind of funny, a 5 foot 6 or so woman all scowling and wagging her finger at me, looking up at me the whole time LOL I'm six five 240lbs so if you can get that picture you can see how ridicules that must have looked. Sam laughed the whole time! LOL.
I am not to leave the facility grounds with him without expressed permission ever again! Or there will be "severe" consequences......So we waited about a half an hour then slipped out and went to eat at Arby's. LMAO We got away with it too. At least we came back stone cold sober this time.
I feel like a schoolboy that played hooky and got away with it.
I wish I could take every ambulatory patient in the whole place and load them up on a big bus and take them all fishing or something. Eh, we can only do what we can do I guess.
Good day.
I sort of knew that Sam would find it funny. If they have an outside area (as most do), maybe take a small cooler of Miller's and hide it in the bushes and then you won't be leaving their "grounds". LOL You have a good night, plus the rest of the good folks. I need to finish up for my dinner and a movie night. Fixing pulled pork bbq and will watch "Glory". BTW, you have me beat. I am only 6'1" and 210 lbs.

@Anne.. my hens are back to being productive
Anne

United States

#92194 Aug 30, 2013
6'5". And 6'1". Wow. I'm 5'1". But hey, my legs reach the ground, so that works!!

@imposter. Glad things worked out. Heeheehee!
You have a good heart. You and AW have been an example to me with the nursing home visits that I just may follow one of these days. Uh, dont think I'll try the beer run though.. Lol
And AW, that BBQ pork sounds so good right now. I had breakfast early on but I am certainly hungry now!! Have you ever had the Moonlite BBQ ? Or the Old Hickory BBQ ? Both in owensboro. When we are there that's where we like to eat.
My hens have managed 2 eggs this week. Both pinkish. The one that lays bluish/green hasn't started back laying. The three that are about 5 months old...shouldn't they start laying soon?
Anne

United States

#92195 Aug 30, 2013
whitehair wrote:
Any of you out there good on judgeing trees?
My red maple grew too large and the roots above ground were being hit by the mower with the leaves getting into the gutter.
So, it got cut down. Now looking for a small, good shade pretty tree to do a replacement. Thought about a Japanese Maple , or, a blooming ornamental Pear, as well as a blooming weeping cherry.
Any ideas out there??
I love flowering ornamental trees!! But the Japanese red maple we had in our yard was so beautiful!! Guess I'm not much help... Lol! My vote goes for the flowering ornamental !! Weeping cherry, alas , wouldn't supply much shade
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92196 Aug 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
6'5". And 6'1". Wow. I'm 5'1". But hey, my legs reach the ground, so that works!!
@imposter. Glad things worked out. Heeheehee!
You have a good heart. You and AW have been an example to me with the nursing home visits that I just may follow one of these days. Uh, dont think I'll try the beer run though.. Lol
And AW, that BBQ pork sounds so good right now. I had breakfast early on but I am certainly hungry now!! Have you ever had the Moonlite BBQ ? Or the Old Hickory BBQ ? Both in owensboro. When we are there that's where we like to eat.
My hens have managed 2 eggs this week. Both pinkish. The one that lays bluish/green hasn't started back laying. The three that are about 5 months old...shouldn't they start laying soon?
I popped back in while waiting on my date since everything is ready. I have not been to Owensboro in many years. When the wife was still living, we met friends for stage shows at the Executive Inn but we never went anywhere except to the hotel. The showroom was built out into the river.I don't even know if that is still there or if they still have the quality of country music entertainers that they had 10-15 years ago.

Most hens will lay anywhere from 4 to 6 months in age, except in winter. Then they are likely to just wait until spring. Your bluish/green hen is probably an Aracauna that originates out of South America. Does it like to climb on things more than the others? If so, that is probably the breed. I have 18 adult hens that did drop off to about 3 per day, but are now coming back up to 10 or 12 per day. I also have 12 more that are about 5 months old that are not laying yet, but should be by the end of September.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#92197 Aug 30, 2013
*bluish-green egg layer, not the hen LOL The shell color is defined by breed, the eggs are the same but varies based on their diet. If they continue to not lay, feed them bits of pork fats chopped into small threads.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#92198 Aug 30, 2013
whitehair wrote:
My red maple grew too large and the roots above ground were being hit by the mower with the leaves getting into the gutter.
So, it got cut down. Now looking for a small, good shade pretty tree to do a replacement. Thought about a Japanese Maple , or, a blooming ornamental Pear, as well as a blooming weeping cherry.
Any ideas out there??
Might try a pear or cherry tree. My Dad had one of each when I was a child. They're a medium sized tree. Hope that helps;)
Anne

United States

#92199 Aug 30, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I popped back in while waiting on my date since everything is ready. I have not been to Owensboro in many years. When the wife was still living, we met friends for stage shows at the Executive Inn but we never went anywhere except to the hotel. The showroom was built out into the river.I don't even know if that is still there or if they still have the quality of country music entertainers that they had 10-15 years ago.
Most hens will lay anywhere from 4 to 6 months in age, except in winter. Then they are likely to just wait until spring. Your bluish/green hen is probably an Aracauna that originates out of South America..

Executive inn was imploded a few years back. There's a strikingly beautiful convention center that's almost completed in its place and a big ole motel that's also almost completed. Gonna be very nice!!
My hens are the Aracaunas(?). Grey legs and feather beards. The hens are a variety of colors and the eggs they are SUPPOSED to be laying will be shades of pink ( light brown) bluish and greenish. The eggs are not uniform in size at all
Imposter

Manchester, KY

#92200 Aug 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I love flowering ornamental trees!! But the Japanese red maple we had in our yard was so beautiful!! Guess I'm not much help... Lol! My vote goes for the flowering ornamental !! Weeping cherry, alas , wouldn't supply much shade
Those weeping cherry trees look good in the spring, real good, and they look pretty all summer too, but in the winter they look all creepy to me for some reason.
Apple trees are nice and they bear fruit to so that's a plus, but they are kinda hard to keep alive when young.
Now a regular old rut of the mill mimosa...that's a hardy tree. They are real nice if you don't have allergies. I have several out in back of the shack.

What are those trees that bloom out in late spring, they can have all kinds of different colored blossoms from one tree to the next, the ones with the shiny purple looking leaves? I cant for the life of me remember the name...but they sure are pretty even when the blooms are gone.

Plant you a stand of ponderosa pine! You may come out some evening and catch little Joe under there with a pretty young girl.
lol

Madisonville, KY

#92201 Aug 30, 2013
Funny
best1

Lawrenceburg, KY

#92202 Aug 30, 2013
I HAD SOME FLY OVER JUST NOW
Imposter

Manchester, KY

#92203 Aug 30, 2013
whitehair wrote:
Any ideas out there??
Do you like mimosa trees? They are pretty hardy and do real good around here. The flowers are bright and hang on for about half of the warm season every year. In the fall they get little bean pods on them. I like the shape of the leaves to. Just an idea, they aren't fancy or nothing but I think they look right nice.
Of course my favorite scent is the scent of those old wild thorn roses. I let a good patch of them grow relatively close to the shack. The rabbits appreciate them as much or more than I do.
My brother has been trying to talk me into bush hogging them for a long time but I think I'll just let a good patch of em keep growing ...not spread mind you.
Imposter

Manchester, KY

#92204 Aug 30, 2013
best1 wrote:
I HAD SOME FLY OVER JUST NOW
You had some flies over? Get a fly swatter and kill those pesky things.

Is your caps lock stuck or are you yelling in type?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#92205 Aug 30, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Do you like mimosa trees? They are pretty hardy and do real good around here. The flowers are bright and hang on for about half of the warm season every year. In the fall they get little bean pods on them. I like the shape of the leaves to. Just an idea, they aren't fancy or nothing but I think they look right nice.
Of course my favorite scent is the scent of those old wild thorn roses. I let a good patch of them grow relatively close to the shack. The rabbits appreciate them as much or more than I do.
My brother has been trying to talk me into bush hogging them for a long time but I think I'll just let a good patch of em keep growing ...not spread mind you.
My favorite is a magnolia tree.
Anne

United States

#92206 Aug 30, 2013
The mimosa trees are really pretty and it would be nice to have a couple in the yard. We had them in in Louisiana and I really liked them.

Location hidden

#92207 Aug 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
The mimosa trees are really pretty and it would be nice to have a couple in the yard. We had them in in Louisiana and I really liked them.
I lived in Louisiana for many years. Nothing prettier than trees in the swamp basin. lol
sweettalkinguy

Milford, MA

#92208 Aug 30, 2013
A lot of strange things going on these days, fortunately its football season though!
www.newdrivewaypavivg.com

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#92209 Aug 30, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Don't look up in those baccer barns if you can help it. One drop of that baccer juice in your eye will sting the rest of the day!
And be careful on those rails if you get up on them Blue. They'll be slick with juice, its been pretty hot.
Have a good night skywatching if that is what you're doing, it sure is a good night for it. I reckon mars is pretty bright this time of year.
I know what you mean about stuff gettin in my eyes! It seems if I'm doing anything other than spiking there's always something gettin in my eyes.

Sometimes even spiking flips dirt, water or something
Imposter

Manchester, KY

#92210 Aug 30, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite is a magnolia tree.
They are good looking trees, bloomed out or not.
That made me think of the scenery in middle Georgia. Those and that old man's beard moss or whatever it is that hangs from the trees down there. I got a handful of that moss on the way back from Florida one year and threw it up in an old hoary creek-willow that dad planted on my little plot of rock farm here in Ky. It grew the rest of the summer but froze out that winter.
You know I have a nice rock farm going here, quite a few have already sprouted. I just cant get the darn things to grow.
Imposter

Manchester, KY

#92211 Aug 30, 2013
Anne wrote:
They do real good here in eastern Ky. The older folks call them silk trees. I like the way the flowers look all warm and fuzzy.
I always liked warm and fuzzy things. Bwaaaahahaha

I slipped one in on you that time girly.

Location hidden

#92212 Aug 30, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>They are good looking trees, bloomed out or not.
That made me think of the scenery in middle Georgia. Those and that old man's beard moss or whatever it is that hangs from the trees down there. I got a handful of that moss on the way back from Florida one year and threw it up in an old hoary creek-willow that dad planted on my little plot of rock farm here in Ky. It grew the rest of the summer but froze out that winter.
You know I have a nice rock farm going here, quite a few have already sprouted. I just cant get the darn things to grow.
I was raised on an island, I've had my share of tropical landscape. I did buy a hibiscus this year. The moss is gorgeous. I think the prettiest cemeteries I ever saw were in New Orleans. Lots of old trees with moss and the above ground crypts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 19 min Fed up 20
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,611
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mike Duquette 132,254
Looking for A Chorkie (Dog). 2 hr Annonymous 1
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 2 hr LoL 6
Is Jesus a Zombie? 2 hr Mitt Romney 1
Brett 3 hr Wasted 9
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance