Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,634

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91885 Aug 16, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure. We had so many pinto beans that I swore that when I grew up I would never eat them again. Now I would like to have a big pot full with a ham bone. But refried beans is still not on my agenda. LOL
It's comical. Now we're on the same track as I was about my former experiences with 'TATERS! Odd tho, I may have mentioned before that one of our favorites is Cracker Barrel. Every waitress there knows that pinto beans, chow chow and Bruce's hot sauce is a third of all my meal orders, no doubt. Ya know, something I really wish I could find eating out is some good ole Salmon Paddies, now I mean good ones!........Yep, like Mom's.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91886 Aug 16, 2013
Changing the subject some now. We do a good job of feeding the birds well around this three acres with eight (I think) assorted bird houses. However, mixed sunflower seed is not cheap and I will not feed the coons or possums anymore. So, about six months ago, I got on the internet and found several old timers live traps. I built one of them and put it at the base of two of the feeders behind a large bush. Wasn't long!..so far I've trapped and shot seven nasty possums and one off the feeder in the night. But night before last I got a Lone Ranger coon and showed it to the Belle. Well, I had to turn that rascal free. He ran plumb down the full three acres then turned west, after that he disappeared. One scared coon. Guess he was kinda cute but he'd best not come back for dessert!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91887 Aug 17, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
It's comical. Now we're on the same track as I was about my former experiences with 'TATERS! Odd tho, I may have mentioned before that one of our favorites is Cracker Barrel. Every waitress there knows that pinto beans, chow chow and Bruce's hot sauce is a third of all my meal orders, no doubt. Ya know, something I really wish I could find eating out is some good ole Salmon Paddies, now I mean good ones!........Yep, like Mom's.
The best breakfast I ever had was some really crunchy salmon paddies with hot buttered biscuits and fried apples and a side of over easy eggs.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91888 Aug 17, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Changing the subject some now. We do a good job of feeding the birds well around this three acres with eight (I think) assorted bird houses. However, mixed sunflower seed is not cheap and I will not feed the coons or possums anymore. So, about six months ago, I got on the internet and found several old timers live traps. I built one of them and put it at the base of two of the feeders behind a large bush. Wasn't long!..so far I've trapped and shot seven nasty possums and one off the feeder in the night. But night before last I got a Lone Ranger coon and showed it to the Belle. Well, I had to turn that rascal free. He ran plumb down the full three acres then turned west, after that he disappeared. One scared coon. Guess he was kinda cute but he'd best not come back for dessert!
Speaking of the Lone Ranger, just the other day I was curious as to what "Kemo Sabe" really meant and googled it.... Interesting results.
Anne

Gulfport, MS

#91889 Aug 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
The best breakfast I ever had was some really crunchy salmon paddies with hot buttered biscuits and fried apples and a side of over easy eggs.
Wellll, Cracker Barrel has good food, don't misunderstand me on this but the salmon patties they have...nope, not for me! I love salmon patties though, with greens/ spinach and mashed potatoes
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91890 Aug 17, 2013
Now I have to go eat another dinner.

Our old man would just make the brains and eggs and feed them to us, he called it eggs and potted ham. I ate those things for years before I found out what they were. The "eggs and ham" would always show up not long after a hog killing so we figured it out. Cant stand brains now, but man oh man a big plate full of bacon would be nice. That turkey bacon has a lot to be desired.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91892 Aug 17, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Our old man would just make the brains and eggs and feed them to us, he called it eggs and potted ham. I ate those things for years before I found out what they were. The "eggs and ham" would always show up not long after a hog killing so we figured it out. Cant stand brains now, but man oh man a big plate full of bacon would be nice. That turkey bacon has a lot to be desired.
Yep, turkeys can't make good bacon. I just slice the Bar-S length wise and fry that. It ain't bacon either but it is better than the turkeys.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91893 Aug 18, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Wellll, Cracker Barrel has good food, don't misunderstand me on this but the salmon patties they have...nope, not for me! I love salmon patties though, with greens/ spinach and mashed potatoes
Ms Anne, you are sure right. Like I said previously: "good salmon patties," and theirs don't come close. There was a small cafe in Corinth, Ms. and the cook was really an older lady but could flat cook. Well, she passed on and the cafe changed hands many times but never was good again. Everyone just called her Aunt Lizbeth. Hadn't thought of her in a while. Another memory.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91894 Aug 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of the Lone Ranger, just the other day I was curious as to what "Kemo Sabe" really meant and googled it.... Interesting results.
.........and which meaning are you in favor of Wolf? There are several, ain't they! "Trusted Friend" sounds good but the other one about a horse's ___ is little more comical, especially when you consider Tonto being so serious all the time.(yeah, I had to search it!)
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91895 Aug 18, 2013
Here's a subject that I could talk about a mighty long time....music. I've played one instrument or another since I was about 11. It won't let me alone. Anyway,....have any of you heard Old Love Letters by Laurie Lewis with Ralph Stanley harmonizing? I was combing the internet last night and found it. Turns out the Stanley Bros. had it out many years ago but he and this girl sound better I think. It's not Blue Grass as such but it's sure enough country. It's now in my favorites list on this computer, somewhere close to
5,000 songs. I'll never get them all but at my age, it's sure fun try'n. Do ya all play any music at all, now NOT the radio?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91896 Aug 18, 2013
@MM.. I took lessons for many years, but alas my arthritic fingers now are only conducive to listening. One of my favorite tunes is Tom T. Hall's "I remember the year Clayton Delaney died".

Any kid that ever tried to play an instrument knew a "Clayton" and the best line in that tune is "It could be that the GOOD LORD likes a little music too".
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91897 Aug 18, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
.........and which meaning are you in favor of Wolf? There are several, ain't they! "Trusted Friend" sounds good but the other one about a horse's ___ is little more comical, especially when you consider Tonto being so serious all the time.(yeah, I had to search it!)
I suppose Horse's Patoot (or some other word). LOL There were a couple old LR and Tonto kid's less-than-funny jokes from years ago:

"Tonto, Tonto.. What are we going to do? There are 3000 blood thirsty indians surrounding us".... "What to you mean by WE, Paleface?"

LR says "On my right hand are 3000 blood thirsty indians, on my left hand is this terrible hang nail".
Rookie

Mammoth Cave, KY

#91898 Aug 18, 2013
Fishausndn

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#91901 Aug 18, 2013
So the other night I was just about asleep and the athletes foot starts actin up. I don't seem to ever treat it long enough to cure it, it just seem to keep it in control.

The other night I was about asleep when that pesky little itch started. A search for relief yielded nothing to treat it with. The only thing I came across was old spice deodorant stick. So I gave it a try. Seems to work for keeping the condition in check. So since I still occasionally use the old spice for that purpose. I wonder if I could end up with athletes armpit?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91912 Aug 18, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
So the other night I was just about asleep and the athletes foot starts actin up. I don't seem to ever treat it long enough to cure it, it just seem to keep it in control.
The other night I was about asleep when that pesky little itch started. A search for relief yielded nothing to treat it with. The only thing I came across was old spice deodorant stick. So I gave it a try. Seems to work for keeping the condition in check. So since I still occasionally use the old spice for that purpose. I wonder if I could end up with athletes armpit?
The logical solution would be to get 2 sticks and label them.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91913 Aug 18, 2013
KentuckyLady wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening everybody. I've been reading your all's post for a while. You all seem so kind and just "good people's" as mom and dad would say.
My question is to Mississippi Man. We have just purchased 107acres and now live in a house over 100 years old. All kinds of critters all over the place! Leads me to my question...you set a trap for a raccoon. If you wouldn't mind passing me the info on how to trap my nasty coon,
I'd much oblidge.
God bless all and have a Fab night!
Not Mississippi Man, but you can buy a live box trap at Tractor Supply. It has a lever where you place some goodies and when the raccoon steps on the lever, the door closes. The goodies can be anything they like to eat such as Tuna or even a piece on tin foil for the shiny affect that attracts them.
Anne

United States

#91918 Aug 18, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Here's a subject that I could talk about a mighty long time....music. I've played one instrument or another since I was about 11. It won't let me alone. Anyway,....have any of you heard Old Love Letters by Laurie Lewis with Ralph Stanley harmonizing? I was combing the internet last night and found it. Turns out the Stanley Bros. had it out many years ago but he and this girl sound better I think. It's not Blue Grass as such but it's sure enough country. It's now in my favorites list on this computer, somewhere close to
5,000 songs. I'll never get them all but at my age, it's sure fun try'n. Do ya all play any music at all, now NOT the radio?
I know this is being a smart mouth but I can play my nose! I can pick it or blow it!
Unfortunately that is all I can play...
Anne

United States

#91919 Aug 18, 2013
Live traps can work. We've caught several squirrels! Another couple had a skunk problem and removed several using the live traps.--they used a blanket ( held up as a curtain) to sneak up on the cage then cover the cage-- then lift it onto the truck bed for a long distance ride- never for sprayed either!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#91920 Aug 18, 2013
Imposter wrote:
I ate those brains and eggs without knowing what they were. When I found out, yuck. They did taste good if you don't know what you are eating.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#91921 Aug 18, 2013
Good evening, folks. I've been occupied lately, and have not checked in, but I'm glad that all of you are still here. Everybody has good ideas, and I have learned a lot from your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
whos the best looking at jack wws 6 min bicycle 1
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min American 153,324
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 16 min DITCH MITCH 4,733
A Rat In Knox County 1 hr True Anon 5
Who read Dennis Gibson's post on Facebook? What... 2 hr Good read 10
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 2 hr _Zoey_ 3,531
Mike Smith, Warren and Baker 3 hr Lisa 4
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 9 hr really 13
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs