Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81693 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#91840 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
It is not necessarily Cajun... We only wasted the squeal. The intestines were turned inside-out and washed in the creek, then boiled for sausage casings. Souse was made from snouts ears, eyelids, etc. Pigs feet and tail were pickled. The fat was boiled down for lard and the resulting pork rinds were ground and put into corn bread that we called "Cracklin Bread". Good stuff except for the souse. Even the heads were cracked open and brains and eggs were a delicacy (but not for me LOL).
When I was about 10 or so I opened grandmas freezer and saw a large paper bag. Curious person that I am I opened it. OMG !! A big hog head!! Snout, ears, hair bristles! All there!! I shut that freezer lid FAST!
I think she finally threw it away as we NEVER had any thing called souse or head cheese!
Anne

United States

#91841 Aug 14, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Did anyone else see the footage of those fire whirls today? fire whirls are awesome.
Missed that. And fire swirls would sure be a sight to see! But I made a point to watch those meteor showers. Last night I tried it again for a short time--saw several but the planes circling for a landing with their "headlights" on bright and the chill in the air soon discouraged me and I went in and hit the hay.
Anne

United States

#91842 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been through there when I lived there. Couple of bad speed traps---
Hmmmmm! Talking from experience? Lol. Down towards Grand Isle we were stopped in a sweet (for them) speed trap. Us and 2 other cars at the same time! Get this: we paid the fine by check right then and there!!! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91843 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was about 10 or so I opened grandmas freezer and saw a large paper bag. Curious person that I am I opened it. OMG !! A big hog head!! Snout, ears, hair bristles! All there!! I shut that freezer lid FAST!
I think she finally threw it away as we NEVER had any thing called souse or head cheese!
If you have ever bought pickle loaf, vienna sausages, potted meat, bologna, or some hot dogs; then you most likely ate some hog heads.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91844 Aug 14, 2013
Anne.. you are really traveling on. In just 3 hours you made it from Owensboro to Birmingham. It is no wonder you got caught in a speed trap. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91845 Aug 14, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
@ Don't Care, Lol. Hope you enjoyed yourself with " her" as well ;) Sounds like it was a real good time. I enjoyed the breeze and temps:)
It would have been a nice day for that activity with her. But all I did was mow grass. LOL
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91847 Aug 15, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet its real tasty but I'm not tryin it! Lol
"AIN'T NONE OF ME TRY'N IT NEITHER!!!!"

But I gotta say this. One time the Belle and I were walking (best way), just cruise'n New Awlins and we walked into a large, open-like bar and restaurant. We walked up to the beautiful bar and I looked at the menu. It was all Greek to me but I did order some kind of dark, ugly, thick, monster look'n soup that I thought something was gonna jump out of it at me! Man was it ever SOOOoo very good. The bar keep claimed that it had some kind of 'gator tail sausage and I don't remember what else in it. But the next morning late, we walked back and I got another bowl of it. She had noth'n to do with it.

Now Ancient....I've been eat'n a can of Vienna's, cheese and crackers once in a while for the last 40 years. Jeremy (my son) and I took some back to his cabin on the Wolf River several weeks ago. But you didn't make it sound too good in your post!
Justin

United States

#91848 Aug 15, 2013
Did you guys ever figure out what was going on with the dead birds?

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91849 Aug 15, 2013
Good morning!
And, a chilly one it was! Hope you all have a great day! Big things going on here. BIG things.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91851 Aug 15, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
But I gotta say this. One time the Belle and I were walking (best way), just cruise'n New Awlins and we walked into a large, open-like bar and restaurant. We walked up to the beautiful bar and I looked at the menu. It was all Greek to me but I did order some kind of dark, ugly, thick, monster look'n soup that I thought something was gonna jump out of it at me! Man was it ever SOOOoo very good. The bar keep claimed that it had some kind of 'gator tail sausage and I don't remember what else in it. But the next morning late, we walked back and I got another bowl of it. She had noth'n to do with it.
Now Ancient....I've been eat'n a can of Vienna's, cheese and crackers once in a while for the last 40 years. Jeremy (my son) and I took some back to his cabin on the Wolf River several weeks ago. But you didn't make it sound too good in your post!
All my post was meant to say or to imply was that chickens are not all boneless breasts, beef is not all steak and ground chuck, and pork is not all ham and bacon. And we have all probably eaten some of the less desirable parts but when prepared properly, it can be quite good. In fact, I love my bologna and vienna sausages and my leather boots.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91852 Aug 15, 2013
Fortunately potted me is ground so well. Lol. My granny ate souse and Step grandpa ate pig's feet. Me, i just ate their pickled eggs.
Hope everyone is enjoying the weather. Haven't seen many birds lately. Just mild colds
including a mild cough. Have car problems here they're exhaust or fuel related I believe. Thanks to a loving parent; I'll get some assistance.
Blessings to All, a lot to do today.
Ipso Fatso

Boston, MA

#91855 Aug 15, 2013
This is the american ingenuity.
Anne

Tucker, GA

#91857 Aug 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have ever bought pickle loaf, vienna sausages, potted meat, bologna, or some hot dogs; then you most likely ate some hog heads.
But, but, I luv those things!! Lol.just don't call them hog heads. Lol

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#91858 Aug 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All my post was meant to say or to imply was that chickens are not all boneless breasts, beef is not all steak and ground chuck, and pork is not all ham and bacon. And we have all probably eaten some of the less desirable parts but when prepared properly, it can be quite good. In fact, I love my bologna and vienna sausages and my leather boots.
I saw something called Dixie Loaf in the store--- I didn't even want to know what was in that.
Anne

Tucker, GA

#91859 Aug 15, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohoo ! Mississippi Man! Hello !! I'm waving!! We're south of meridian and headed for Hattiesburg ! Good times!
Anne

Tucker, GA

#91860 Aug 15, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Good morning!
And, a chilly one it was! Hope you all have a great day! Big things going on here. BIG things.
Let us know what's up when you get a chance!! Nosey person that I am! Lol

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#91861 Aug 15, 2013
Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather!

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#91864 Aug 15, 2013
Egypt! What a mess! I saw that story tonight on the news. I didn't catch the part about what they are all pissed off about and haven't googled it yet.

Every time see a bunch of those folks demonstrating and raising hell, I hardly ever see any women in volved. I'm starting to think the have a woman shortage over there.

Otherwise all these hollerin Egyptians, and middle easterners would be at home doing something...

Well on the other hand maybe all their women holler more than they do. So they can't stand staying at home.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91865 Aug 15, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw something called Dixie Loaf in the store--- I didn't even want to know what was in that.
Actually, that is generally made with various pork parts, pickles, pimentoes, and cheeses. Without the cheese, it is generally just called pickle loaf. The one I want no part of is Goose Liver LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91866 Aug 15, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Egypt! What a mess! I saw that story tonight on the news. I didn't catch the part about what they are all pissed off about and haven't googled it yet.
Every time see a bunch of those folks demonstrating and raising hell, I hardly ever see any women in volved. I'm starting to think the have a woman shortage over there.
Otherwise all these hollerin Egyptians, and middle easterners would be at home doing something...
Well on the other hand maybe all their women holler more than they do. So they can't stand staying at home.
They are all appearing in a carnival show under the name of "Little Egypt".... "She walks, she talks, she crawls on her belly like a reptile.. step right up, one thin dime, one tenth of a dollar" LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School buses 8 hr smh 3
Knox Schools 10 hr Truth 11
Recounts what happens next a civil upheaval? 10 hr swampfoot 14
knox county bus garage (Aug '09) 11 hr Kim 40
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 hr Secularist 156,440
Grays Pallet Store Drug Dealing ? 12 hr Bad 10
Geesh (Jun '16) 14 hr Babywipes 6

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages