Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
76,921 - 76,940 of 81,560 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah!
Might sound gross, but I added sauerkraut on those sandwiches as well. Yummy;) That pond and those frogs sound like a place to be. Reminds me of a Duck Dynasty episode of the guys sneaking onto to the golf course under the cover of darkness getting frogs from the pond. Lol. Frog mating, now that is hilarious. Hahaha. Can't say I've seen 'em.
Faire night to All...Still no Abeliever. Hmmm.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was awesome here in Tollesboro! Got up to around 85 but humidity was only 20%. I got out of the office by 6 and played until dark-thirty. Threw sticks for the 6 month of German Shepherd, he is HUGE! We call him the Branch Manager.
Tomorrow, going to be humid but must break out both riding mowers and hit this six acre yard.If I start after dew dries I can get caught up at work by late afternoon!
I'm gonna use that "dark-thirty" in my vocabulary starting tomorrow --well, later today. Good descriptive phrase.
As far as mowing I don't know how many acres I mow but it takes 4 hours on the riding mower.
Branch Manager? BM for short? "sorry..couldnt pass that up"
It's late, I'm slap happy, need to shut up. Have a good sleep, bird threaders!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

(I see this was a "no show" when I tried to post it before so I'll try again......will have nothing to do with nothing now, oh well.

A little bitty tear let me down,
Spoiled my act as a clown..........Why is Rapp called music by some people anyway?

Ya know, if we were ever poor I just don't remember it. The folks always provided a roof over our heads, plenty to eat, and clothes to wear. Sure, some of the knees were neatly patched up but Mom always washed, starched and ironed all our clothes. I think some of ya all have mentioned that also. When the Belle and I were first married I told her that "I'll build you a real long clothes line right over there." ......and she said WHY. I didn't build any clothes line but I've always thought (and felt) that line dried sheets felt so good,........but maybe not towels.

But I've gotta say this. As I look back to my younger years I honestly think that Mom planned every meal around POTATOES! Now I can stand right straight and say this. The folks always planted according to the moon and I didn't understand that either. But every year there came this special Saturday that was meant just to be potato planting Saturday. Now,.......I hated bring'n those left-over potatoes out from the cellar, I hated cut'n them between the eyes, I hated planting those things, I hated hoeing the weeds out of them barefooted, I hated digg'n them up with a fork, I hated put'n 'em back in the cellar, I hated to go get 'em when Mom needed some and I hated eat'n mashed potatoes. Look'n back, now I wish (sorta) I could do it all again. One things for sure. I would be much more appreciative!!! PS,...Burger King has the BEST french fries, for shore!!!!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

@Mississippi Man.. meals here centered around pinto beans with a dutch oven pot full on the stove at all times. Summer time it was on the outdoor wood burner on the back porch.
We were not poor either, just had no money or much need for it. Why we were rich when the 1952 tobacco crop sold for $400. LOL
Potatoes were always planted on Good Friday or as near as possible, in case of rain. Fresh meats were fried chicken or wild game on Sundays. I was a teen before I ever had a hamburger and 20 years old before I knew about pizza. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Poor old John must live with the pr lady and wants someone to talk to her so that he won't have to. Especially, since he does not have much to say anyways. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Mississippi Man.. meals here centered around pinto beans with a dutch oven pot full on the stove at all times. Summer time it was on the outdoor wood burner on the back porch.
We were not poor either, just had no money or much need for it. Why we were rich when the 1952 tobacco crop sold for $400. LOL
Potatoes were always planted on Good Friday or as near as possible, in case of rain. Fresh meats were fried chicken or wild game on Sundays. I was a teen before I ever had a hamburger and 20 years old before I knew about pizza. LOL
I've been thinking it was the pinto beans, homemade vegetable soup and cabbage that kept me skinny/ healthy all those years. We did our weedeating with scythes- a sharp blade shaped like a big fish hook- if that is the proper term. We'd wack weeds several days a week, all summer long. Never coplaining about the blisters. Lol. I think, if I lived like that again ; these excess pounds might shed.
As far as you tobacco, did your family use what was produced? Partner and I think making your own tobacco might be a better alternative, a small crop perhaps. Love hearing your stories;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I've been thinking it was the pinto beans, homemade vegetable soup and cabbage that kept me skinny/ healthy all those years. We did our weedeating with scythes- a sharp blade shaped like a big fish hook- if that is the proper term. We'd wack weeds several days a week, all summer long. Never coplaining about the blisters. Lol. I think, if I lived like that again ; these excess pounds might shed.
As far as you tobacco, did your family use what was produced? Partner and I think making your own tobacco might be a better alternative, a small crop perhaps. Love hearing your stories;)
I still eat and like the pinto beans and still use the scythe (or how ever you spell it) and was just out whacking weeds this morning, then came in and put up some more sweet corn. The only neighbor here in the boondocks lived to be 103 and whacked the weeds manually up until about age 100 and still farmed with a team of mules. I miss seeing that old man and sometimes go to Youtube and listen to Walter Brennan doing "That Mule, Old Rivers, and Me". That song brings back fond memories of that old neighbor. He also picked a guitar and Tom T. Hall's song "I remember the year Clayton Delaney died" has memories. I especially like the line that says "It could be that the GOOD LORD likes a little music too".

Tobacco was the main money crop, although my grandpa (Before my time) raised hemp and sold it to the government to make ropes for the ships prior to WW2. It still grows wild around here. They did use some of the tobacco themselves. Grandpappy caught me and the cousin sneaking a smoke on a store bought cigarette and said "Come on boys, if you are going to smoke, let's go do it like real men". He took us down to the barn and hand rolled a cigar and made us smoke it until we turned green. LOL Even my grandmother smoked it in a corncob pipe. I don't think the tobacco back then had all the chemicals and if one is going to smoke it, it would probably be better to smoke the home grown natural leaf.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

In the old days, tobacco farmers had more help than they do now. They had big families and neighbors to help with the cutting, housing, stripping, etc. Schools never even started until mid-September so the farmers could get the tobacco cut and housed otherwise the kids did not go anyways until it was done.

In winter, the wood and brush were accumulated to burn the tobacco beds to retard the weeds. Now it is chemicals. In mid-May, the "sucker" growth and blooms were removed so the main leafs would get the nutrients. The big green tobacco worms were removed by hand plucking. Now, more chemicals. Tobacco was cut and hung on sticks hanging from the rafters to dry and then wait for a rainy day for the tobacco to come in "case" for stripping. Untelling what chemicals are being used to make the cigarette papers. In the old days, it was handrolled cigars or smoked in pipes.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Another beautiful day here!!
Hop you all had a good one!
yuppp

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

you too
fifties farm boy

Flag Pond, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
In the old days, tobacco farmers had more help than they do now. They had big families and neighbors to help with the cutting, housing, stripping, etc. Schools never even started until mid-September so the farmers could get the tobacco cut and housed otherwise the kids did not go anyways until it was done.
In winter, the wood and brush were accumulated to burn the tobacco beds to retard the weeds. Now it is chemicals. In mid-May, the "sucker" growth and blooms were removed so the main leafs would get the nutrients. The big green tobacco worms were removed by hand plucking. Now, more chemicals. Tobacco was cut and hung on sticks hanging from the rafters to dry and then wait for a rainy day for the tobacco to come in "case" for stripping. Untelling what chemicals are being used to make the cigarette papers. In the old days, it was handrolled cigars or smoked in pipes.
My family left the Ky farm and went north for a few years in the early to mid forties but we came back to the old farm at the beginning of 1953. I was 10 yrs old at the time.

We were a big family. We had the usual mix for a small ky farm of the day, a few cows for milk and butter, and a little milk to sell to a truck that ran a daily route, a couple pigs for meat, chickens in the yard for eggs and meat, and a big garden to eat from and to put up food for winter. Plus, an occasional squirrel or rabbit, killed and fried, was a welcome change at he dinner table.

Tobacco was our money crop. We raised our own and rented all we could to raise close to home. We farmed with horses.

Toxaphene and ddt were used routinely by farmers to control bugs and worms on the tobacco by the mid fifties. I suppose you all pretty much are familiar with ddt.

Toxaphene is a poison made by reacting chlorine gas with a substance called camphene. The resulting product (toxaphene) is a mixture of hundreds of different chlorinated camphenes and related chemicals. Toxaphene does not break down quickly. It stays in the soil for years.

In the mid fifties ddt and toxaphene were applied to the tobacco in the form of dust, applied when the tobacco was small from a can with holes in the bottom which was attached loosely to a short stick so that a little downward motion followed by a quick stop would slap the can against the bottom end of the stick and shake out an appropriate amount of dust.

Later as the tobacco got bigger, the dust was shaken onto the tobacco from a cloth bag covering the leaves with dust. It is a miracle that we all didn't die from exposure to these highly toxic dusts.

By the late fifties (I think) both those chemical poisons had been replaced, for use on tobacco, over health concerns. Toxaphene was banned all across the USA sometime in the 1990s.

I can remember pulling worms off and killing them sometimes, but that was not our primary method of controlling them. By the late sixties, a pump up 3 gallon compressed air sprayer with a mix of water and chemicals were our main method of pest control. At that point in time most of the tobacco sprays were a form of nerve agent. A dose of that and a tobacco worm didn't last long.

Through the forties, fifties, and early sixties, suckers were pretty much broken out by hand. Then around the end of the sixties, spray on chemical sucker control became common. By that time chemical treatment of the soil for preparing plant beds was pretty much the accepted practice as well. Things were getting a little easier for the tobacco farmer.

By the mid seventies I had figured out that there were much easier ways to make a living than raising tobacco. From that point on I worked at a job in town, raised some beef cattle, and let someone else raise my tobacco base.

In spite of the hard work and the hardships, I have many fond memories of those "good old days". I will never forget moms "home cooking" and the joys of growing up in the country.

Thank God I'm a country boy !

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

@ fifties farm boy.. I am about the same age as you and our lives have been almost a reverse. What I wrote about were the processes of the 40s and 50s prior to the use of chemicals in tobacco production.

About the same time that your family returned to the country, we had to leave. Grandpappy passed on and the hillside farm was sold including the 4 room shack in the bottom land where we lived without electricity and running water. My dad took a town job with a regular income and even bought a car and some electrical appliances.

God has blessed me with a long term career in Information Technology and upon retiring, I was able to buy back just that small piece of bottom land and personally remodel that old shack mainly using used lumber and materials and it now has most of the conveniences while still retaining it's original character. But I can look out the window and see Grandpappy's old farm that is now just pasture land and woods and recall all the "Ghosts" of my youth.(I don't own that old farm but just the shack and enough acreage to raise a lot of sweet corn and a flock of chickens).

I started here and I will end up here. The prodigal son has returned.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

My career has taken me to work in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, Minneapolis, Washington, Miami, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Lexington.

That is the main reason that my retirement community will be "My Old Kentucky Home" (shack with my chickens and dog) and not some old folks condo in Florida. LOL
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

While I don't live in my childhood home I do live on the family property! My dad moved here when he was about 4 months old. My greatgrandfather spent his remaining years here, sharing a bedroom with my dad. Now I'm here with my youngest child and my grandchildren. I'm trying to instill a love of the country and a feeling of family connection into my grandchildren and maybe they will carry on. It's a lot to ask. I point out that good careers are can be had within driving distance( we aren't farmers) but I guess I can't expect them to do that. After all, I didn't. I'm like an old elephant... Returning home to die...sigh
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
While I don't live in my childhood home I do live on the family property! My dad moved here when he was about 4 months old. My greatgrandfather spent his remaining years here, sharing a bedroom with my dad. Now I'm here with my youngest child and my grandchildren. I'm trying to instill a love of the country and a feeling of family connection into my grandchildren and maybe they will carry on. It's a lot to ask. I point out that good careers are can be had within driving distance( we aren't farmers) but I guess I can't expect them to do that. After all, I didn't. I'm like an old elephant... Returning home to die...sigh
I have not only returned to my childhood home, but also to my roots since my ancestors have mainly lived within a 15 mile radius of this general area since 1780. That is about as close a connection as I can make. LOL I have traced my roots and found that many of my ancestors have lived, married, and died very close by. It pleases me to walk on the same grounds that some trod on over 200 years ago.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

More rain, but it's not terrible.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

So, AW, I ask, are we both hampered down with the past? I LIKE having the memories around me. The land, the same neighbor families my grandparents had, the old pieces of furniture. The pics. Some would say I'm living in the past and I need to live in the present. I've worked about 4 hours on the mowing Etc and believe me, thats living in the present!!! Lol
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Anne, I know, what you mean about others and their opinions. I have been told to my face that I am such a good parent and person . Then find out later that same person tells another I'm not doing enough. Rubbish. I never tell others how to live unless someone wants my honest input. You are right that cutting grass is a future deal. So, if any remarks are made again say, Hmm well I'm presently planning for the future, like your that spry young thing again. Hehehe. I have so much negativity to deal with at times; it feels as if I need a spiritual quest. Others create so much havic in our lives. As for me I just want to be happy and drunk on life. You enlighten my days with each story you share; it takes me away from this rundown place with so little space to live. And the shattering loneliness. Thank you for those stories of your pond and life. I, for one, am delighted to hear them.
Ignore those clamoring voices of others who are disapproving, it has always been your life and your happiness that exists. That is all that matters;)
That dude

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
So, AW, I ask, are we both hampered down with the past? I LIKE having the memories around me. The land, the same neighbor families my grandparents had, the old pieces of furniture. The pics. Some would say I'm living in the past and I need to live in the present. I've worked about 4 hours on the mowing Etc and believe me, thats living in the present!!! Lol
No, I don't think we are hampered at all. It is merely honoring the contributions those that went before us have made so that we can better enjoy the present and look forward to the future and hope that we are so honored as well. In fact, I will be making my presence later this evening in the company of those people that appreciate the fact that this old man is still above ground and has eggs and sweet corn to distribute.

When they say "It is good to see you", my reply is usually "It is good to see and be seen". LOL and if they say "GOD Bless you". My usual reply is "HE already has". Have a good evening,
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Anne, I know, what you mean about others and their opinions. I have been told to my face that I am such a good parent and person . Then find out later that same person tells another I'm not doing enough. Rubbish. I never tell others how to live unless someone wants my honest input. You are right that cutting grass is a future deal. So, if any remarks are made again say, Hmm well I'm presently planning for the future, like your that spry young thing again. Hehehe. I have so much negativity to deal with at times; it feels as if I need a spiritual quest. Others create so much havic in our lives. As for me I just want to be happy and drunk on life. You enlighten my days with each story you share; it takes me away from this rundown place with so little space to live. And the shattering loneliness. Thank you for those stories of your pond and life. I, for one, am delighted to hear them.
Ignore those clamoring voices of others who are disapproving, it has always been your life and your happiness that exists. That is all that matters;)
Thank you for your kind words and I'm certainly glad you enjoy my little crazy stories.
I am alone a lot and a lot of times I am lonely. Then I have also been lonely in a crowd of people.
In the last year or so I've had the chance to meet new people and renew old acquaintances. Lots of times it works out great and its always interesting. Lol. Sometimes my dock time is perfect alone time ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Teresa Johnson and Rex 19 min Dang 2
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min justice_- 128,911
Jason Lee (Oct '13) 26 min PalfromGA 7
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min Jay 146,845
Marlena cox 1 hr Tara 60
Did anyone go to the SOAR listening session? 2 hr Jack 1
Terry Jones 2 hr Man 2
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••