Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 20 comments on the Jan 5, 2011, The Cincinnati Enquirer story titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#91461 Aug 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I bought this very delicious watermelon at the farmers market. I've been eating it all day. I think I've reached my limit. I forgot watermelon is a natural diuretic.
Oops
Me and my chickens le--ovvvv-ve watermelon. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91464 Aug 5, 2013
nobuddy wrote:
How long are these bird's going to keep die'n.Must be the gas well fracking or the coal mineing. I HEAR'D coal was making a lot of people sick .
Yes, coal has made a lot of folks sick and die. Especially, the coal miners including some of my ancestors. But at the same time it has driven the economy and kept many people employed for a number of years, kept the rest of us warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I lived the first several years of my youth without electricity and I don't want to return to that life-style. Do you? There are alternatives but those also make people sick and die. The question is would it really be any less.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91466 Aug 5, 2013
A large sinkhole in Sharon Springs, Kansas keeps getting bigger. It is sad to see family homes totally swallowed by these holes. It seems like they are worse than ever. Hopefully, Nope's sinkhole is farther away from her home. Abeliever is sure missed. Really hope she is okay. Pretty long hiatus for her.
Lovely afternoon:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91467 Aug 5, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on over. Fair notice though: I eat out for breakfast a lot! I find the breakfast special of 2 eggs, 2 bacon and 2 toast for 2.99 sticks to my ribs until around 2pm-- of course I eat breakfast around 9am so you guys that eat before the sun appears would want lunch sooner. Lol
My favorite at home breakfast(besides the waffles) includes 4 or 5 cheeses, several types of fruit- grapes, apples, strawberries, bananas, kiwi, pears etc. 2 or 3 meats including braunsweger(?). Bagels. toast, flavored and regular cream cheeses. Yogert , Juices, milk, coffee. The chopping, dlicing, slicing and peeling takes a good long while. The table is absolutely loaded! Everyone loves this "buffet" but it costs an arm and a leg so I do it about once a year
A fantastic cheese is smoked gouda. Such a nice Lady to feed the Folks;) I enjoy your stories. I'm just wondering...Do you have frogs in your pond? And fish? Is there a lot of maintenance to upkeep a pond? Thanks. I would like a pond for the ducks and such.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#91468 Aug 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
A large sinkhole in Sharon Springs, Kansas keeps getting bigger. It is sad to see family homes totally swallowed by these holes. It seems like they are worse than ever. Hopefully, Nope's sinkhole is farther away from her home. Abeliever is sure missed. Really hope she is okay. Pretty long hiatus for her.
Lovely afternoon:)
Hi Misty! Yes, I'm still keeping an eyeball on my sinkhole. It's collapsing further each season that passes. I now have a small gully running down the hill toward it and when it rains really hard, the water literally pours down into the hole. Where the water is going once it enters, I have no idea.

I suspect that I'm going to have to find some fill pretty soon. It's swallowed a few large rocks/boulders already that I had put down there to hopefully either stop it or slow it down.. The rocks and boulders that have recently sunk are the ones that were well above ground. They are now just barely visible from the surface looking straight across. I also have a flower garden that's about to be on the edge of it. Just a few years ago, you could get a zero turn mower between the flower bed and the hole, with plenty of room to spare. Not now... Kind of creepy knowing that thing could "burb" any time it wants to. Particularly now that a tree or two has started to lean..

I'm hungry for some cheese now thanks to the posts about food. Headed off to make a late lunch. Talk to you all soon!!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91469 Aug 5, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Misty! Yes, I'm still keeping an eyeball on my sinkhole. It's collapsing further each season that passes. I now have a small gully running down the hill toward it and when it rains really hard, the water literally pours down into the hole. Where the water is going once it enters, I have no idea.
I suspect that I'm going to have to find some fill pretty soon. It's swallowed a few large rocks/boulders already that I had put down there to hopefully either stop it or slow it down.. The rocks and boulders that have recently sunk are the ones that were well above ground. They are now just barely visible from the surface looking straight across. I also have a flower garden that's about to be on the edge of it. Just a few years ago, you could get a zero turn mower between the flower bed and the hole, with plenty of room to spare. Not now... Kind of creepy knowing that thing could "burb" any time it wants to. Particularly now that a tree or two has started to lean..
I'm hungry for some cheese now thanks to the posts about food. Headed off to make a late lunch. Talk to you all soon!!
Sorry to hear about that sinkhole getting bigger and so close to your flowers. You're a smart cookie as to keep an " eye" around your home and property. I wish you well;)
I have a pork shoulder almost finished;) Pulled pork sandwiches with pickles so good. I use the Hawaiian sub rolls as well. My children love' em.
Fred bird

Metropolis, IL

#91470 Aug 5, 2013
My cousin died from this.
qwerty

Hillsboro, OH

#91472 Aug 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I said goodbye to Ralphhhhhh this morning when I bowed before the porcelain throne and told him I was leaving in a Buickkkkkk. LOL
Were you headed to new yorrrrk?
tbone

Kimper, KY

#91473 Aug 5, 2013
gamewarden is looking 4 a lot of men they are packing naround dead birds
Curious

Olive Hill, KY

#91475 Aug 5, 2013
Wow, this thread has 77,042 comments! Just curious if anyone has read them all?
yeah right

West Liberty, KY

#91476 Aug 5, 2013
is that the wolfe county game warden dont tread
I know that is where you live
tbone wrote:
gamewarden is looking 4 a lot of men they are packing naround dead birds
Anne

United States

#91477 Aug 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> A fantastic cheese is smoked gouda. Such a nice Lady to feed the Folks;) I enjoy your stories. I'm just wondering...Do you have frogs in your pond? And fish? Is there a lot of maintenance to upkeep a pond? Thanks. I would like a pond for the ducks and such.
Yes. Lots of frogs. Quick funny story: our driveway goes past the pond. One night after dark my adult daughter and I had driven the car up the long driveway to check the construction on the house. There's a couple dips and "hills" in the driveway. We were back in the car and headed back to the main road when the headlights hit several frogs in the driveway. I stopped. "OMG, look at all those frogs! Look there's more ..and more coming out of the grass onto the road! Wow, about 20 of them! Look!.....oh, oh, they're...they're...Mating! " Us city slickers got us a country education that night! Btw, its a crazy meet and greet situation. Lol
Anne

United States

#91478 Aug 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> A fantastic cheese is smoked gouda. Such a nice Lady to feed the Folks;) I enjoy your stories. I'm just wondering...Do you have frogs in your pond? And fish? Is there a lot of maintenance to upkeep a pond? Thanks. I would like a pond for the ducks and such.
I love the pond! It's about 6 years old now. Had a leak problem at first but my pond guy fixed it -- no charge as he said he would do it if it leaked. I've stocked it with bass, hybrid bluegill, bluegill and red ear. I feed them fish pellets everyday.. Very relaxing to watch! My main dock is 16' square- with a roof. And there's a 6' walkway around 3 sides and is one foot lower than the main dock.( made the first dock too high out of the water.. Lol) then i put a dock ladder into the water so the kids can get out of the water easier. I've got an old row boat that gives me exercise a couple times a week . I have big frogs now.. Wonder why? Lol. But there's a nasty weed I need to find a way to get rid of . Canadian geese brings on a lot of unwanted seeds I love to watch them swim but they poop way too much and I don't want them nesting
Anne

United States

#91479 Aug 5, 2013
@Nope: this sinkhole business is crazy. In southern indiana there are a lot of caves and sometimes there are sinkholes around them. There's a state park with several caves and if you walk along the trails you will see sinkholes that go down into the caves.
This happens around the underground coal mines a lot. Kentucky home insurance companies usually offer insurance for this possibility. But it's one type of policy you never want to use. It's a scary thing to happen and I hope your situation has a good ending. Have you had it checked out?
Anne

United States

#91480 Aug 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Pulled pork sandwiches with pickles so good. I use the Hawaiian sub rolls as well.
Oh, yeah!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91481 Aug 5, 2013
Hope you all had a good day! It was busy here. Life flies when you are having fun I suppose.
Tollesboro Guy

Morehead, KY

#91482 Aug 5, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Hope you all had a good day! It was busy here. Life flies when you are having fun I suppose.
It was awesome here in Tollesboro! Got up to around 85 but humidity was only 20%. I got out of the office by 6 and played until dark-thirty. Threw sticks for the 6 month of German Shepherd, he is HUGE! We call him the Branch Manager.

Tomorrow, going to be humid but must break out both riding mowers and hit this six acre yard.If I start after dew dries I can get caught up at work by late afternoon!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91484 Aug 5, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah!
Might sound gross, but I added sauerkraut on those sandwiches as well. Yummy;) That pond and those frogs sound like a place to be. Reminds me of a Duck Dynasty episode of the guys sneaking onto to the golf course under the cover of darkness getting frogs from the pond. Lol. Frog mating, now that is hilarious. Hahaha. Can't say I've seen 'em.
Faire night to All...Still no Abeliever. Hmmm.
Anne

United States

#91486 Aug 5, 2013
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was awesome here in Tollesboro! Got up to around 85 but humidity was only 20%. I got out of the office by 6 and played until dark-thirty. Threw sticks for the 6 month of German Shepherd, he is HUGE! We call him the Branch Manager.
Tomorrow, going to be humid but must break out both riding mowers and hit this six acre yard.If I start after dew dries I can get caught up at work by late afternoon!
I'm gonna use that "dark-thirty" in my vocabulary starting tomorrow --well, later today. Good descriptive phrase.
As far as mowing I don't know how many acres I mow but it takes 4 hours on the riding mower.
Branch Manager? BM for short? "sorry..couldnt pass that up"
It's late, I'm slap happy, need to shut up. Have a good sleep, bird threaders!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91487 Aug 5, 2013
(I see this was a "no show" when I tried to post it before so I'll try again......will have nothing to do with nothing now, oh well.

A little bitty tear let me down,
Spoiled my act as a clown..........Why is Rapp called music by some people anyway?

Ya know, if we were ever poor I just don't remember it. The folks always provided a roof over our heads, plenty to eat, and clothes to wear. Sure, some of the knees were neatly patched up but Mom always washed, starched and ironed all our clothes. I think some of ya all have mentioned that also. When the Belle and I were first married I told her that "I'll build you a real long clothes line right over there." ......and she said WHY. I didn't build any clothes line but I've always thought (and felt) that line dried sheets felt so good,........but maybe not towels.

But I've gotta say this. As I look back to my younger years I honestly think that Mom planned every meal around POTATOES! Now I can stand right straight and say this. The folks always planted according to the moon and I didn't understand that either. But every year there came this special Saturday that was meant just to be potato planting Saturday. Now,.......I hated bring'n those left-over potatoes out from the cellar, I hated cut'n them between the eyes, I hated planting those things, I hated hoeing the weeds out of them barefooted, I hated digg'n them up with a fork, I hated put'n 'em back in the cellar, I hated to go get 'em when Mom needed some and I hated eat'n mashed potatoes. Look'n back, now I wish (sorta) I could do it all again. One things for sure. I would be much more appreciative!!! PS,...Burger King has the BEST french fries, for shore!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teacher arrested 9 min Wondering 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 53 min Perfect storm 136,111
Mud Slide Up Turkey Creek Rd (Mar '14) 1 hr gator 10
Fed up! 3 hr crazyjimbo 16
Lisa and Teresa Vaughn twins 5 hr Friend 4
UPS drop box in B'ville? 6 hr Answer 9
knox county detention center 11 hr Welfare Jed 41
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]