Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,772

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#91388 Aug 1, 2013
LOL! I come from a coal mining family myself. My Grandparents were poor people who knew how to get by with what they had and do it with grace and appreciation. Nobody could butcher and smoke a hog like my Grandaddy or kill a chicken like my Grandma. She had a big old cauldron out back to scald them in after she had lit fire underneath of it and brought it to boil..

My Grandaddy is the one who taught me how to clean squirrels and rabbits. I was good to go as long as he'd cut the heads off first. It hurt me to see those poor little eyes and ears on them beforehand. But once that head was cut off, look out! We were skinnin' and grinnin'.

I remember the outhouse my Grandparents had all too well. I was ALWAYS afraid something was gonna bite my skinny little hiney when I sat down and used it. Not to mention that my Mom always has had one of the WORSE snake phobias of anyone I know to this day. So of course, it was going to be a 20 foot long snake I imagined would bit my boney little butt while I went up there to do my business, if of course one didn't get me going up the hill beforehand. LOL!!

Even after the indoor bathroom came around the first part of the 1960's, Grandpa wouldn't let us flush that danged toilet until you could barely take the smell in there any longer. In his words "I don't want that well to run dry, chillern", LOL! I sear there were times that I still went up the hill to use the outhouse, simply because the toilet was so full of poop at the end of the day, ROFLMBO!!! And taking a REAL BATH once the bathroom was built onto the house? No way! Again, "The well might run dry, chillern", hehe!

They had electric for as long as I remember, but it was one naked bulb hanging from the middle of the ceiling in each room with a pull rope. And there was no use for a television back then. Even IF they'd have wanted one later on in their days, there wouldn't have been any way to get a signal way out there on that mountain, haha. They had a cabinet radio and that was it. Preaching on Sunday mornings if we happened not to go to church, was listened to on the radio. And it always sounded like something from those "Children Of The Corn" movies. ROFLMBO!!!

The main room was a couch, three rocking chairs and if needed, kitchen chairs were brought out for visitors to sit on. Us kids always sat on the linoleum floor. And of course, that wonderful old pot belly stove sat in there too. I can STILL smell that wonderful old stove they had... And how warm it kept us.

As well, EVERYONE back then had a picture of the president on their wall. Pride in our country was unspoken and almost every one of the men folk, unless they were physically disabled from birth, had fought in the war or at least served their country in some way back then.

On cold mornings, even hip deep in snow, my Grandma trudged out for a bucket of coal and lit that pot belly stove before anyone got up. She wore nothing but hand sewn dresses below the knee, buttoned down the front, belted at the waist, and had her "Grandma" shoes all laced up every day. Not a day went by the she didn't put on her knee high stockings, rolled at the knee, when company came to call.

I'm running out of room here, so I'll continue below....
what now

United States

#91389 Aug 1, 2013
Yes, smack middle of night, site to myself, everyone's asleep laadeedaa! Well, I'm awake because, well I do not know! I even had a pie and coffee break. I think I'm glad tomorrow should be an easier day, so I'm just setting back relaxing. The canning is caught up for now, plenty of feed, don't need wood for winter yet. Lol I am chopping down a dead white birch. Yep, someone busted the chainsaws. It is halfway through. Maybe if I wait it will fall on it's own. Well, I could tell you a story, or myself a story. Let's see.. oh, the one about the cow. Well, the cow gave less and less milk. Well, someone noticed she would moo in the night. So, they went out to check on her, well, there were like 20 snakes come for milk. The cows stayed in the shed in the nightime after that. There, story. I really wish I could play the guitar. Even harmonica. I would play around the campfire, and people tell stories too. That is my idea of fun. One idea anyways.

#91390 Aug 1, 2013
Continued:

Before daybreak, IF the sound of her clunking those big old chunks of coal in the stove didn't wake everyone up, the smell of her biscuits surely would. Man, were they good and no body has ever come close to her recipe. I stood by her hundreds of times in that kitchen, mimicking her every move with my own pile of flour, hollowed out in the middle for the lard, baking soda, etc. They NEVER came out just like hers would. And the country butter? Just OMGosh. My mouth waters right now thinking back on it. Again to this day, I've never found butter that tasted as good as hers did. And there was always home cured bacon, ham, squirrel or rabbit for breakfast on the side with her biscuits, fried taters and fried eggs. And OH the fresh jams and jellies!! How she never managed to break a yolk is still amazing to me. But her cast iron skillets were her pride and joy.
(I have those skillets to this day and I'd not take a thousand dollars for even one of them)..

How many baths we took in that metal washtub, God only knows. I was the oldest Grand kid, so I got to go in first. Hehehe! The water was heated up on top of the very stove she stoked every morning, then poured into the washtub from her kettle to keep us from getting chilled. That was after she hand pumped the water from well. At least she had a pump inside over the sink...

I will never forget the nights out on the porch, cicadas singing, sitting on the porch swing when the adults would let us sit on it, LOL. Someone seemed to always have a guitar or some other musical instrument.

Yep. Memories that I'll cherish till the day I die. I was taught how to get by and make it. Something that youth today is sorely missing out on. If anything every happens in this world, the country folk WILL be the ones to survive it. If you handed a chunk of coal to a young one today and asked the to make a fire with it, they'd stand there with their mouth agape, sad to say....

#91391 Aug 1, 2013
what now wrote:
Yes, smack middle of night, site to myself, everyone's asleep laadeedaa! Well, I'm awake because, well I do not know! I even had a pie and coffee break. I think I'm glad tomorrow should be an easier day, so I'm just setting back relaxing. The canning is caught up for now, plenty of feed, don't need wood for winter yet. Lol I am chopping down a dead white birch. Yep, someone busted the chainsaws. It is halfway through. Maybe if I wait it will fall on it's own. Well, I could tell you a story, or myself a story. Let's see.. oh, the one about the cow. Well, the cow gave less and less milk. Well, someone noticed she would moo in the night. So, they went out to check on her, well, there were like 20 snakes come for milk. The cows stayed in the shed in the nightime after that. There, story. I really wish I could play the guitar. Even harmonica. I would play around the campfire, and people tell stories too. That is my idea of fun. One idea anyways.
I have bouts of insomnia, so I was up late too. But after all that reminiscing I just did, I think I can go crawl into the bed and have a head full of happy memories to help lull me off to sleep. Take care and I hope you can get some sleep yourself! I'm craving biscuits with home churned butter now. So I might have a snack before I go lay down.
Talk to you later!!
what now

United States

#91392 Aug 2, 2013
O dear! Speaking of not so wise, I may have you all beat. I have hauled manure, and did not even once think to disengage the apparatus when going downwind. Oh my, it might be wise for me to go to sleep now. lol
what now

United States

#91393 Aug 2, 2013
Well, I keep just missing people! Mississippi Man and now Nope! I like your stories! Yummy midnight snack!:) Goodnight all!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91394 Aug 2, 2013
LSD923 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Abeliever still around? Glad to see you're still alive and kicking. LOL. All is well with mama and Leona. My son goes off to the Army on the 11th of August and we have moved to Oklahoma to be closer to my wifes family. One good thing about being a Correctional Officer is you can get work in any state you want. I hope my old friends are still out there. I hope to hear from you guys soon.
Abeliever has not posted in a couple weeks, so I don't know. I guess Little Leona just had a birthday. That would be her 2nd? I recently got an email from OJG asking for prayers due to health issues but she has not been on for a couple months or more and the Anagrammer is saddened by not having a debate over Middle East issues. But I think I see him pop in and out sometimes. But I am never quite sure.

I am glad to see that I am alive and kicking too. LOL We lost UNA and if the obit was really him (which it appears that it was), GOD has blessed me with a few more years than him and I suppose I have found less disfavor with GOD than UNA thought I would. LOL Oglala is still alive and kicking too. Imposter had a wake-up call and is now wearing the white hat. LOL Roaming is the only poster that I know that has been on here longer than me, and negative commentary and judge-its has not chased either of us off. We must be tough. LOL We have gained some newer regulars that I enjoy their conversations. Glad all is well with you.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91395 Aug 2, 2013
Nope.. Your stories of Grandma brought back many memories. But those were not so much grandparent memories, but those of my Mom and Dad and the way we lived here at the homestead in my youth with no electric or running water. Since returning here, I tore out the back porch and built a new chimney on the new exterior wall and now have my own wood-coal burning heat stove. It was a bitter-sweet memory taking down the chimney that once was in the middle of the house and reusing the same bricks that my Dad had laid in 1946 to build a hearth for my new stove. I got really dirty from the 1940's coal dust accumulation. LOL That chimney had dual thimbles with the cook stove on one side where the kitchen was and a pot belly warm morning stove in a sitting room where I slept for years on a couch with what little clothes that I had in cardboard box behind the couch. The only other furniture in there was a rocking chair, a small table with a kerosene lamp and a cabinet sized batter radio with a wire running out the window for an antenna. That room was quite crowded on Saturday night when Dad would take the battery off his old car so we could listen to Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb. StringBean, and Minnie Pearl on the Grand Ole Opry. He would roll start the old car on Sunday mornings to go to church.

My older sisters enjoyed the feather bed that was called a "feather tick" in the 3rd room of a 4 room house that is now 6 rooms and a bath instead of the original 4 rooms and a path. LOL The outhouse once sat where my chicken house is now and the chickens now deposit in the same area where Mom raked out the dime that I swallowed and I took the cleaned off dime to the local country store and got a Moon Pie and an R C Cola. But I got in trouble for that because I got off the school bus to spend that dime and still had to walk 2 miles on home to get my switching. Mom wore the long home made dresses too and I learned early that if I stood real close and screamed real loud, all she did was beat her dress tail. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91396 Aug 2, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Speak'n of songs, if I may, how about Roger Millers's "Ya Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd". Only he would come up with a song like that but, yeah, there were many favorites. I've probably got close to 4,000+ on my favorites list.
And of favorite memories, why I remember this one I'll never know. But as a young boy one of my older sisters took me to town for something and we stopped at the drugstore and she bought me a Cherry Coke. Such a wonderful, sweet flavor! "Drug stores" then, now nothing but WalGreens or Super D's with no soda fountain.(it's 1:12 A.M., better go!)
Your ID and post about that song, reminds me of Ray Stevens "Mississippi Squirrel Revival". I remember some church services and can visually see the people and where they sat and can easily imagine such an event. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91397 Aug 2, 2013
I think I will go make some hot biscuits with homemade blackberry jam, fried potatoes, and eggs. Nope, your grandma probably never broke the yolk in the cast iron skillets because the eggs were always fresh. When one gets store bought eggs, they can easily be 2 to 3 weeks old and yolks are more pale and more easily broken. Good Day folks, I have chores here plus I need to go into town.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#91405 Aug 2, 2013
Tomato help---
All my tomatoes are coming in. I've canned, sun dried and gave some away but still there are more. Any ideas of some different ways to put them up or use them?

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91406 Aug 2, 2013
Beautiful day. Can you believe it's this cool and nice? It IS August...right?

#91407 Aug 2, 2013
Penelope P Body wrote:
Tomato help---
All my tomatoes are coming in. I've canned, sun dried and gave some away but still there are more. Any ideas of some different ways to put them up or use them?
Take them to a local food pantry? That would be a nice gesture and so many would appreciate having them. Or have you ever pickled the green ones? They're SO good pickled with some sweet onions!! You can also lightly blanch, peel and then freeze them in ziploc baggies to cook with before you start in on using your canned ones.. Or try your hand at homemade tomato juice?

:)

#91409 Aug 2, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Beautiful day. Can you believe it's this cool and nice? It IS August...right?
It surely is a pretty day, Roaming. I had my coffee out on the porch this morning and the Hummingbirds were already out, albeit moving a little slow yet, hehe! Even had a little squirrel come up and start chattering at me.
(I threw it a corner of my toast. That seemed to satisfy it somewhat, lol)

I hope you're feeling better and your broken heart is healing a bit. Things like that never go away completely, but we learn to deal with the loss of our loved ones somehow. It's how the Lord made us I guess..

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#91410 Aug 2, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>Take them to a local food pantry? That would be a nice gesture and so many would appreciate having them. Or have you ever pickled the green ones? They're SO good pickled with some sweet onions!! You can also lightly blanch, peel and then freeze them in ziploc baggies to cook with before you start in on using your canned ones.. Or try your hand at homemade tomato juice?

Thanks! I have taken many to the elderly people in my neighborhood. They were so glad to get them and many said they looked forward to a good mater' sandwich. I inquired and found out that was bread, mayo and tomato. I did freeze some but will try the tomato juice (I like that). Someone suggested tomato jelly (never heard of that). Again thanks!

#91411 Aug 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I think I will go make some hot biscuits with homemade blackberry jam, fried potatoes, and eggs. Nope, your grandma probably never broke the yolk in the cast iron skillets because the eggs were always fresh. When one gets store bought eggs, they can easily be 2 to 3 weeks old and yolks are more pale and more easily broken. Good Day folks, I have chores here plus I need to go into town.
Yes, they were fresh eggs. But she'd crack a dozen or more in that skillet at one time and could still manage to flip 'em like a pro, LOL! When she cooked breakfast, that meal was just as huge as her suppers were. And we'd always have fried squirrel, rabbit or smokehouse ham/bacon on the side too. Whatever my Grandpa provided for meat, she was prone to cook for any meal she made. Even a plate of fried chicken wasn't an oddity for breakfast with her eggs, biscuits, gravy and such.. I don't think she knew how to cook 'small'. It may have been due to not having much when my Mom and her siblings were growing up. I know my Momma told me many times of having nothing but a biscuit and some fried taters to take to school for her lunch back when my Grandpa worked the coal mines. Man, times were so rough for them all back then.
what now

United States

#91414 Aug 2, 2013
I absolutely love your stories, Ancient Wolf! I wish I could put some of these in a scrapbook, that I could read sometimes. Coal miners, fountain drinks. Still have not had much time to find these songs, but, I will be 'off tune signing soon! Back to the tree. 25 whacks at a time. Pie and coffee breaks, and whatever rolls my way, in between.
what now

United States

#91415 Aug 2, 2013
Lol! Nope, that is great! Your grandma was an amazing woman too! Now, back to the tree.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91417 Aug 2, 2013
Penelope P Body wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I have taken many to the elderly people in my neighborhood. They were so glad to get them and many said they looked forward to a good mater' sandwich. I inquired and found out that was bread, mayo and tomato. I did freeze some but will try the tomato juice (I like that). Someone suggested tomato jelly (never heard of that). Again thanks!
Try your local Senior Citizens Center. The cooks there are always glad to get any excess tomatoes, beans, corn, eggs, or whatever. Mine prepares lunch for about 30 seniors daily Monday thru Friday. I even take them the green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes and they give me fried apple or other fried fruit pies to eat any time I go there.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91418 Aug 2, 2013
I have been sitting out in my swing shucking and jiving and getting my corn ready to freeze. The chickens all gathered around eating the silks and wanting me to hurry back with the cobs for them to have something else to munch on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min Yes and Amen 133,196
any girls in barbourville strip 2 hr lookeing 1
strip club for plus women (Feb '11) 4 hr Natasha 86
Jean Scott 7 hr so pathetic 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 8 hr Princess Hey 472
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 8 hr _Zoey_ 3,647
dinky phipps 9 hr Edozier 24
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance