Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
76,821 - 76,840 of 81,602 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#91354 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not looked yet, but I bet it is "I was born one morning and the sun didn't shine, picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine, loaded 16 tone of number nine coal and the straw boss said well bless my soul"
You load 16 tons and what do you get? another day older and deeper in debt. Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store".. I believe Tenn. Ernie Ford. Since it is youtube, I will look and see if I am right.
You are absolutely correct.

Location hidden

#91355 Aug 1, 2013
Hello everyone. Loved reading about the old stories. I learn something every time that I stop in here.@Marilyn: Glad that you have joined in and are sharing your memories. Welcome to the Bird Thread.
@ AW: I really enjoy your immense fund of knowledge, laced with dry humor.
@ Imposter: Hope that you continue to do well.
Keep the stories coming. I find you all most interesting. Beautiful day today. We all need to appreciate the small things in life, especially since we're all here for such a short period of time, in the grand scheme of things.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91356 Aug 1, 2013
Hahaha that's it! I knew you would know that one.
The one before was king of the road by that Miller fellow. Yeah Rodger Miller that's him.
Take it easy its a good time a day to watch a good western.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91357 Aug 1, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Hahaha that's it! I knew you would know that one.
The one before was king of the road by that Miller fellow. Yeah Rodger Miller that's him.
Take it easy its a good time a day to watch a good western.
well Dang me, dang me
They ought to take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman don't you weep for meeeeeeeeee

I wonder if Matt Dillon has gotten shot more times than Little Joe Cartwright has fell in love? I bet it is a toss up. LOL
Chassure Ghost

Winchester, KY

#91358 Aug 1, 2013
You can't mention Rodger Miller without "Dang Me" and "Tall Tall Trees"
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91361 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not looked yet, but I bet it is "I was born one morning and the sun didn't shine, picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine, loaded 16 tone of number nine coal and the straw boss said well bless my soul"
You load 16 tons and what do you get? another day older and deeper in debt. Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store".. I believe Tenn. Ernie Ford. Since it is youtube, I will look and see if I am right.
Correct. Did he also sing, Big Bad John? Might be off on the title.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91362 Aug 1, 2013
I remember, my great granny had an underground cellar for keeping things in chilled during the summer. She'd carry water from a stream to put on the garden and to bathe in. I'll never forget the big, wash tub and the washboard. She never complained. That is remarkable. Too work so hard yet be so content. I could only strive to be half the good woman she was.
Wallpaper for her was newspaper clippings;) Her small kept her content in this life.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91363 Aug 1, 2013
* her small homestead
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91365 Aug 1, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Correct. Did he also sing, Big Bad John? Might be off on the title.
Thinking that was Jimmy Dean. might not have been.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91366 Aug 1, 2013
yep, I googled and it was Jimmy Dean

Location hidden

#91367 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
well Dang me, dang me
They ought to take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman don't you weep for meeeeeeeeee
I wonder if Matt Dillon has gotten shot more times than Little Joe Cartwright has fell in love? I bet it is a toss up. LOL
LOL A classic AW comment...only you would think of that comparison!

Location hidden

#91368 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Imposter.. One of my favorites is Tom T. Hall's "Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine".
Great song.

Location hidden

#91369 Aug 1, 2013
Anne wrote:
Okay . This age thing. I'll be 61 in less than 2 weeks. There. No secret . Lol. born in '52. Lol
But, I'm a feisty 60 right now! Oh, yeah!
I turned 61 in June. We're only about 2 months apart in age. I'm older, but wiser (not). Refuse to be a rocking chair mamaw. Got on my new horse and went for a ride. Not as limber as I used to be. If I ever fall off, it will be 'lights out' for good, but I'd rather do that than complain about my age and related aches and pains.

Location hidden

#91370 Aug 1, 2013
Good evening. Where is everybody. Every time I stop in, there's no one here, so I end up talking to myself. Come to think of it, I do that anyway.

Location hidden

#91371 Aug 1, 2013
Marilyn, I hope that you stop by again. I enjoyed your introduction. Just be very careful who you talk to on the computer, and don't give out any personal information, by which someone can track you. Have someone show you how to register for topix, then if you want to send someone a more personal e-mail, you know who you are talking to, and it will not get posted publicly. That will ensure your safety and your privacy.
Marilyn

Hodgenville, KY

#91372 Aug 1, 2013
Hello, good day. The weather is cheering up thankfully. All this talk of music reminds me of a story I have always wanted to share, but too embarrassed to tell anyone I knew. I took my eldest daughter to see Willy Nelson at the fairgrounds. I don't remember what year but some time in the 80's I believe. We could hear him but never actually saw him as our seats were too far away. We ended up having to leave because people all around us were smoking refer. I do believe my daughter and I were high. I remember it stunk so bad I thought to myself how in the world do people smoke that stuff. I did not anticipate that happening but we did giggle all the way home. I have always wanted to share that story. I hope it gives you all a chuckle. I do enjoy my wine, I'm not a prude. My husband enjoyed his beer an awful lot, tho we never got to enjoy the spirits until the children were grown and gone. Then I realized I should have drank some sooner. Tom T Hall was my favorite back in those days. I like a variety of music, from country to classic but not the screaming noise. Have a good evening all.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91373 Aug 1, 2013
Hi Marilyn.. Actually, Willie does some classical and some old pop classics as well as country. His "September Song" is a remake of an old Jimmy Durante tune. His "Wllie and Friends" CD is nothing but very soothing classical instrumentals such as "Vous et Mous" and "Over the Waves".

Most of that can be found on Youtube. He started in the music doing Gospel music with his sister Carolyn, who is awesome on the piano. I quite often go to Youtube and listen to him doing "Precious Memories" and "I'll Fly Away". Many people do not know that he wrote Patsy Clines "Crazy". He is most versatile.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91374 Aug 1, 2013
I always enjoy "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." A very humbling song that makes my brown ones tear.
Faire eve' to All. A shot of Gentleman Jack twice mellowed sounds good right now;) Alas, the cupboard is empty.
@ AW thanks, you were right on, Jimmy Dean;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91375 Aug 1, 2013
Just got back from Youtube listening to Willie do "Stardust" and "Unchained Melody".
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91376 Aug 1, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
I always enjoy "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." A very humbling song that makes my brown ones tear.
Faire eve' to All. A shot of Gentleman Jack twice mellowed sounds good right now;) Alas, the cupboard is empty.
@ AW thanks, you were right on, Jimmy Dean;)
The one that makes my eyes leak is "Angel Flying too Close to the Ground". It brings back thoughts of the late wife. I got some Red Stagg which is Gentleman Jim with Black Cherry flavoring. But the line that makes me mellow is "Leave me if you need to, I'll still remember.. Angel Flying too Close to the Ground". I better not play that and break out the Red Stagg.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 13 min LMS 16,147
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 37 min Uninformed idiot 2,027
drive thru beauty 56 min eye at u 1
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 2 hr ms_Sweeter 3,500
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Limbertwig 151,434
Rickie smith from1304 5 hr maybe 4
Holly or Nikki who will Brett pick 5 hr Old friends 3
Kentucky Fried Chicken 8 hr chicky 12
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search