Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,680

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91333 Aug 1, 2013
For anyone that has never seen a wood burning laundry stove, it was a smaller version of the larger wood burning kitchen stoves. It sat closer to the ground so that large tubs of water could be lifted upon it. The wood burning kitchen stoves were taller so one would not have to bend over so much to cook. Some of the kitchen stoves even had water resevoirs to keep water hot. Next to the stove was a wash stand, pan, and dipper for that early morning face washing. It generally sat close to the window so the dirty water could just be tossed out the window into Mom's flower beds. Enough Nostalgia. You Folks have a good day!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91334 Aug 1, 2013
@Imposter.. I was fortunate enough or Blessed to grow up in a time of the old ways and can now remember the good old days and laugh at the bad parts. And you are right, I worked in IT from it's fledgling beginnings until just a few years ago when I returned to the homestead of my youth and can look around and see the Ghosts of my past.

I don't access any links and that is not so much that I think there are only devious persons out there that want to invade my machine and privacy. But more so because I still run 15 year old software (Windows 98) on a homemade PC that I made from scrap parts that I collected before I retired. If I access anything and everything, it would soon store enough junk to overload the capability. I clear out temporary internet files, add-on data, cookies, and most anything that I don't use daily. I defrag the thing at the end of each month.

So what is "defrag" the novice asks? When things are stored on one's disk drive they just go into the next available usused space and eventually it slows down your machine similar to what it would be like getting dressed in the mornings with your clothes scattered into multiple closets with hangers turned every which way. Defrag simply reorganizes disk stuff similar to putting your pants in one area and shirts in another and the hangers all facing the same direction and makes it easier and quicker to access.

To run a "defrag" under Win-98, click on "start", then point to "all Programs", then point to "accessories", then point to "system tools", then click "Disk Defragmentation". Depending on how unorganized your disk drive is, it could run for quite some time.
Anne

United States

#91335 Aug 1, 2013
what now wrote:
Greetings Marilyn! I just found out Anne's and my mom could have been sisters. They did the same kind of things, way back when. We went barefoot and got no cokes, but they had to wear shoes and got cokes. Lol!
really, I am getting goofy, and must be tired. Have a good time! Thanks Anne, you're awesome! Goodnight all!
Cokes! That's it! Not soft drinks. Not pop. We drank "cokes"! It didn't matter if there was Big Red or Pepsi etc in the bottle, we called them all. COKES!
Remember this?
Double Cola went to town.
Pepsi cola shot him down
Dr Pepper fixed him up
Now we're drinking Seven Up!

Guess our moms WERE sisters! Hello, cousin!
Anne

United States

#91336 Aug 1, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, I know the feeling. Gotta say this. I've got one of our four feeders hanging about four feet in front of my "rest chair" on the wood shop porch. The other day the General flashed to the feeder, changed his mind and hovered right in front of my face for a spell and then went back to eat. I was probably gotch eyed looking at him, he was so close. I kept wondering what that was all about, then I remembered that I had a red sweat rag tied around my head. I'd sure like to catch one of them without hurting it.

The Birds and Blooms magazine has had articles about hummers landing on the fingers. Hmmm, it was the hummers, wasnt it? Obviously a person has to be very patient and spend a lot of time sitting around the feeders. Maybe if you tie a small red bandana around your finger...be sure to let us know if one does decide to sit a spell with you!
Anne

United States

#91337 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is almost amazing what just a few years of time and space made. Electricity was a town thing and did not come to our neck of the woods until the mid 50s. Monday was wash day and I had to carry the water from the spring unless it had been raining and some was collected in the rain barrel (which was not nearly often enough to suit me). The washer was a wringer-washer that sat on the back porch and operated by a gasoline engine with a kick starter much like a Moped and sounded about the same. There was a smaller wood burning stove out there also called a "laundry" stove and naturally, I had to carry the wood for that. Most everything was starched and the corn starch came in a yellow box with an Indian picture on it.The starch and the wash water was boiled on the stove. A separate metal tub of water was also boiled for the rinse. So it required packing a lot of wood and a lot of water. But that washer was a modern thing. I recall how happy my Mom was to get it because prior to that the wash was done in a separate tub and a scrub board that now decorates my wall. Ironing was done with cast irons that heated on the outside stove in the summer, and the larger wood burning kitchen stove in the winter. I also still have my Mom's irons but I don't have the rags that she wrapped arund the handles to keep them from burning her hands. She had 4 with 3 always heating and one in use. Cookies were never bought and all we ever knew was just homemade sugar cookies. I was just reaching puberty when I had a chocolate fudge cookie and I thought that was what was changing my body (and it could have been LOL).
Jeez, AW, are you sure you weren't raised Amish?
Our local Amish community uses the gas powered washers but the clothes dryer is solar powered. I have seen a wash machine where the agitator is operated with a hand crank, but as soon as the newlyweds can fit it into their budget, there will be a gas engine wash machine. They have a wood cook stove but I've seen a lot of gas fuel cooking stoves used during the hot months. There's also a wood laundry stove sitting in the laundry room/summer kitchen. One reason I enjoy visiting with them is because that is how my mom and dad lived as youngsters. It gives me a sense of comfort and closeness to my parents.:-)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91338 Aug 1, 2013
Beautiful and foggy this morning.
Thanks to all the well wishes. I appreciate them!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91339 Aug 1, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez, AW, are you sure you weren't raised Amish?
Our local Amish community uses the gas powered washers but the clothes dryer is solar powered. I have seen a wash machine where the agitator is operated with a hand crank, but as soon as the newlyweds can fit it into their budget, there will be a gas engine wash machine. They have a wood cook stove but I've seen a lot of gas fuel cooking stoves used during the hot months. There's also a wood laundry stove sitting in the laundry room/summer kitchen. One reason I enjoy visiting with them is because that is how my mom and dad lived as youngsters. It gives me a sense of comfort and closeness to my parents.:-)
No, it is just that the Amish have continued to use the same methods that ALL country folk had to employ prior to the early to mid 1950s when there was no electric or running water. The Tennessee Valley Authority and the Rural Electric Coops have brought town style life to the country. But is good to remember the old ways just in case and while a lot of those tools are now just wall decor, I still know how to use them even though I would prefer not to.
Marilyn

Hodgenville, KY

#91340 Aug 1, 2013
I thank you all so kindly. That was a warm welcome. I thank you for the birthday wishes & the advice. I am amazed at technology and how far it has come. I suppose I have watched the birth of many things. I grew up an only child, my father died from appendicitis. My mother had to loan me to other families for house keeping chores and helping women raise babies. Many families did this when they were too poor to survive. My mother rented rooms out to the soldiers that came home from the war. All of your stories have stirred many memories. I laundered many clothes in the wash bucket. Momma never let me walk out the door without the proper attire of the day. She sewed the most magnificent dresses. And bonnets. Women would come from miles to purchase them from her. I thought it a treat to go stay at Uncle Monroe's house in Louisville. We would walk to the stores in town for shopping and that was the biggest treat, and most exciting for a simple farm girl. I remember seeing the sidewalk salesman who offered the newest gadgets, dreaming all the while of owning my own some day. Ahh the ironing we did. Momma believed every thing that was cloth had to be ironed, even the undergarments. I married at 15 and had the first of 8 children by 16. My beloved husband was a carpenter, he was also a war hero but never spoke of the war or the ways he received all of his medals. I am very proud of my children they all worked their own way thru college, which inspired me to attend and get my real estate license. I lost my great husband to a massive heart attack. It was then that my job with the Corps of Engineers took me to wild wild West Virginia. I lived there until they transferred me to Jacksonville, Fl. Upon retirement I came back to the family farm to live with my 4th daughter and her family. She struggled with cancer but thank the good Lord she is still alive and well. My son is now fighting the dreadful disease. I had breast cancer myself. We are all fighters in this family, I must say.
My son in law built the home I live in. While it is simple, it is beautiful to me. Nothing fancy, but my husband would be proud of the craftsmanship. I do water aerobics for my arthritis and doctor appointments are my dates I say. We go to the thrift shops for fun I just love other peoples' junk for some reason. I am a bird watcher, that is what brought me to this chat room. I do not have any pets. My grand daughter seems to think I need a dog. I am considering it. I did have a dog when I was a child tho. My husband never would allow the children to have any. He felt it a waste and with 8 kids not a necessity. I agreed. I had enough to care for. That about sums it up for this boring old lady. I am learning more and more about the chat groups. They do entertain me for sure. The sun its what I miss most about Florida. I wanted to just become a beach combing bag lady after retirement. My children wanted me back in Kentucky. Taking care of my home became too hard for me the repairs that were needed and maintenance were too much. Down there they preyed on us older folks. My toilet needed repair the contractor gave me an estimate of over $500.00 to fix it. He said I needed all sorts of things. One of my grand daughters came to visit and her husband fixed it with a $5.00 part. He became my favorite that day. All of my grand children are great folks tho I do have 2 grand sons that are a complete disappointment but hey we can't have it all. With that many there are bound to be a couple screw balls. I must rest my fingers now but I will come back after dinner and read more of the stories. I do not know if the arthritis caused it or just my vision, but I am 82, not 72. I shall return. Until then may the good Lord keep you safe.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91341 Aug 1, 2013
That is why I say it is just amazing the difference in technology in that short span of time after WW2 and the turn of the century when comparing it to the eons that had existed prior to that time.

My grandfather who passed in the 1950s never owned a car, never had electric, never had running water, and never watched television. Nor did we until I reached my teen years and yet my long time career has been in Information Technology. I am blessed to have been able to live in and known both worlds.

Now it is time for me to get off here and do something productive. The chickens are calling my name. LOL Good Day to All.
what now

United States

#91342 Aug 1, 2013
" You're the reason I changed to beer from soda pop, little darling" I have been trying to find the song with those lyrics in it. Anyone know? I thought the singers were Conway and Loretta, but, I cannot find it.. As a matter of fact, I seem to be the only one that has ever heard that song. Also,'I ain't got no honey baby now.' I sing the parts I know, sounds funny. The animals don't mind at all though. I heard it eases them to sing, so I open up and let her rip.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91343 Aug 1, 2013
what now wrote:
" You're the reason I changed to beer from soda pop, little darling" I have been trying to find the song with those lyrics in it. Anyone know? I thought the singers were Conway and Loretta, but, I cannot find it.. As a matter of fact, I seem to be the only one that has ever heard that song. Also,'I ain't got no honey baby now.' I sing the parts I know, sounds funny. The animals don't mind at all though. I heard it eases them to sing, so I open up and let her rip.
This popped up just as I was signing off, but the song is by Loretta and it is really "You're the reason our kids are so ugly".
Anne

United States

#91345 Aug 1, 2013
what now wrote:
Try www.lyricfreak.com I found all the lyrics to Honey Baby Blues under the F selection. I didn't check the other song
Anne

United States

#91346 Aug 1, 2013
Try:
www.elyrics.net.re ad/c/conway-twitty & loretta- lynn
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91347 Aug 1, 2013

Hahaha I knew that one too Wolf. That was a good'n if there ever was a good'n right there.
Just a Girl

Elizabethtown, KY

#91348 Aug 1, 2013
It might be that the magnetics. We're going through a polar shift right now. This isn't just here. Go to youtube and watch suspicious0bservers channel. He explains solar weather and how it affects us down here on earth every morning at 6 AM. It is good information collected from NASA and analyzed by a pretty unbiased and honest guy.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91349 Aug 1, 2013

Going down the road feelin' bad. Eleizabeth Cotton.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91350 Aug 1, 2013
And now one of my own all time favorites...

Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91351 Aug 1, 2013
What do you get when you load 16 tons Wolf? The story of my life...

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91352 Aug 1, 2013
Imposter wrote:
What do you get when you load 16 tons Wolf? The story of my life...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zUpTJg2EBpwXX
I have not looked yet, but I bet it is "I was born one morning and the sun didn't shine, picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine, loaded 16 tone of number nine coal and the straw boss said well bless my soul"

You load 16 tons and what do you get? another day older and deeper in debt. Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store".. I believe Tenn. Ernie Ford. Since it is youtube, I will look and see if I am right.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91353 Aug 1, 2013
@Imposter.. One of my favorites is Tom T. Hall's "Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sam Watts MUST GO! (Sep '12) 12 min lol 56
Illegal coon hunting going Davis bend road 18 min chicken killers 16
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 27 min mike 32
McDonald's girls (Jan '14) 41 min Jackie 5
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 52 min Neighbor 14
who will you vote for as jailer 54 min Thank you 72
Indictments 1 hr my vote 21
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 9 hr John 3
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. 11 hr Curiouswonderer 4
Barbourville Dating