Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
76,721 - 76,740 of 81,562 Comments Last updated 23 hrs ago
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I have a 9 year-old now that I raised since a baby, and I didn't even get to have the fun helping to create him. How's that any justice. But we love the little guy dearly, and wouldn't trade him for anything. But at our ages, YIKES. I'm supposed to be completely retired, free to travel, etc., and I'm ready to start school shopping, and gearing up for the daily homework.LOL
Homework.:-(
I hate it. And what's even worse is that the things they bring home to do is stuff I've never ever seen before. I'm glad I don't have to be responsible for homework anymore
Also, lala, when that song that was mentioned earlier first came out I would've been 22 at that time so I'm guessing we are about the same age. Lol

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

Hey there Bird Threaders!! LONG time, no chat!!

Imposter, just OH my gosh!! I'm glad to read that you're okay now.. I'm really sorry you went through a health scare like that. I had mine last year and as we know, Ancient Wolf and a few others of us have had their own as well. It certainly does put things into perspective. Hopefully, you'll be healthy from here on out and join us in this silly old bird thread for MANY more years!! I'll keep ya in my prayers darlin'!

As for everyone else, it took me over an hour to catch up on the Bird Thread reading alone, lol. I started here at the last page and knew that I was WAY behind, lol. So I went backward about 15 or so pages. MAN, what reading. So nice to see everyone having a good time!!

Things at the Nope house are the same old same old. Which is a GOOD THING! We're blessed, that's for sure. My critter kids are all well and fat, happy and sassy. Particularly the new featherhead. Man can this bird talk my ears off, HAHA. And is he smart. Yes, another critter has managed to tame ME and has me at it's beck and call..
:)

Well folks, I'm gonna catch up on some other threads I like. Chat with you all probably later tonight if anyone sticks around for that long! And OPEN THOSE WINDOWS WIDE IN YOUR HOUSES TONIGHT!! It's an excellent night for fresh air! Can you believe we have this nice cool weather and it's July??

Take those small blessing and hug 'em tight, LOL!!! I'm gonna sleep my face off tonight with the window WIDE open!!
<3

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Have had some really bad news here. If I could, I'd like to ask for good thoughts and prayers from you all. Thanks in advance.
Uht oh..... Roaming, I'm SO sorry I missed this one. Also a bit embarrassed as well.. There I went on and on, just gushing about how well everyone was doing and missed this somehow???

I'll take even extra time to pray for you and whatever it is that has you so burdened. I'm really sorry. PM me if you wanna talk about it. Prayers are headed your way!!!

_-_Nope_-_
Sending up prayers for Roaming!!!
Imposter

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

My thoughts and prayers go out to Roaming in her time of need.

Yeah I have turned over a bunch of new leafs lately Nope. Sometimes it takes a smack down for one to worry about his standing with the good Lord above... like he should have all along.
Such was true in my case.
John

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Uht oh..... Roaming, I'm SO sorry I missed this one. Also a bit embarrassed as well.. There I went on and on, just gushing about how well everyone was doing and missed this somehow???
I'll take even extra time to pray for you and whatever it is that has you so burdened. I'm really sorry. PM me if you wanna talk about it. Prayers are headed your way!!!
_-_Nope_-_
Sending up prayers for Roaming!!!
talk to the pr lady, she will help you

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

John wrote:
<quoted text>talk to the pr lady, she will help you
Pardon? I don't understand. Sorry.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

Imposter wrote:
My thoughts and prayers go out to Roaming in her time of need.
Yeah I have turned over a bunch of new leafs lately Nope. Sometimes it takes a smack down for one to worry about his standing with the good Lord above... like he should have all along.
Such was true in my case.
It took a hard knock in the head to turn my stubborn butt in the right direction too, Imposter. I think we all can admit that to a certain degree...

I thought I was invincible and didn't pay attention to any of the signs that I might be having deadly health issues going on until it was almost too late. God wasn't ready for me yet, but He made sure that my surgeons hands were, and that's a fact. I had a procedure that not many in this area, or in the country for that matter, have had done the way my surgeon and his staff did it that day. It was miraculous, to say the least!! I'm still astonished at his skill, even that he had JUST learned a new technique and used it on me. He saved my life. Even my primary care doc said I was a ticking time bomb and read me the riot act for ignoring all the signs and not letting them know about it beforehand, LOL!!
(Seriously, I'm very thankful that I'm still around to "LOL" about the chewing out I got from that particular doctor too, hehe)!!

I'm just really glad that you're okay. Hopefully you stay that way!! Nice to see you in the threads again! And I mean that sincerely. After we all heard that Una had passed, it did a number on me too. I was stunned. Even though he didn't like me either, he was still a human being and had his unique 'qualities', hehe. I do miss his postings..
:(
John

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Pardon? I don't understand. Sorry.
talk to pr lady any questions you may have
Imposter

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

I never really disliked anyone I was just causing trouble back then, plain and simple truth.

I'm a different man now. Goodnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

Who in the heck if the "pr lady"?

The God I worship and pray to has never been into "pr" work as far as I know... We are Gods source of "pr". And hopefully, we provide a good example by our personal actions while we're in this human vessel on Earth..

You're obviously up to something, so spill it already. LOL. The suspense has my interest peaked, hehe!! And might I add, that's a hard feat to accomplish as far as I'm concerned on here.
:)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

Thank you all very much. Lost a cousin who was a close friend today. Will miss him very much.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

I'm sorry to hear that, Roaming. I lost a cousin a few months back too. He died very suddenly. It was a complete shock to my whole family.

He was found at home by another family member who had gone to check on him.(Apparently it wasn't a pretty sight and my other family member who found him dead is still in total shock, being as young as she is herself). My cousin had so many years left that he didn't get to experience.

We truly never know when our 'time is up'. I hope your family finds comfort in each other, and peace through faith.

I also hope your heart heals. I'm so very sorry for your pain and loss.....
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

LI0NSDEN wrote:
<quoted text> How about just go to walmart and by a clear plastic tube with about 6 doors on it with stoops for birds to sit on..Fill it with seed and BAMMMM! bird feeder and seed for under twelve bucks...Just a suggestion, you know instead of o-rings and cups and cutting and hydraulic oil and what not...LMAO.....I got Big Bird in my front yard eating for only 12 bucks.
We were posting about hummingbird feeders, "NOT" your everyday sort of bird-brain feeder. I didn't mean to blow your world apart! But you give me another try, and I will!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Now that, I can build. I already have everything it would take in the little shack out behind my bigger shack LOL. I'm going to try the chalk trick while I make the "moat bowl".
A moat bowl!!!! Well, I sure never thought of that but you sure got it right. Gotta love it! Let me know how your's turns out. I got a feeling you're gonna revise it somehow. May be an improvement.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

I don't spend any money on bird feeders. The Good Lord and I provide the corn, which gets "tithed" to the old folks and the varmits. The deer and the raccoons "tithe" a little residue to chickens and they "tithe" egg money to buy more feed and provide enough gas to go get it and still "tithe" residual chicken feed to the birds that are on the low end of the food chain.

I have about a half dozen red cardinals and numerous barn swallows and other birds that know where their next meal is coming from and must wear a Timex to know when it is feeding time. And GOD provided all that so that I can keep on keeping on and remember to be give THANKS knowing where it all originates. My favorite Gospel song is "HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW and I know he watches me".

none

Benham, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Really?

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that, Roaming. I lost a cousin a few months back too. He died very suddenly. It was a complete shock to my whole family.
He was found at home by another family member who had gone to check on him.(Apparently it wasn't a pretty sight and my other family member who found him dead is still in total shock, being as young as she is herself). My cousin had so many years left that he didn't get to experience.
We truly never know when our 'time is up'. I hope your family finds comfort in each other, and peace through faith.
I also hope your heart heals. I'm so very sorry for your pain and loss.....
Yes this was very sudden. No warning. It's all been a bit much to take in the last few hours. We are all dealing with it. Thanks very much.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Yes this was very sudden. No warning. It's all been a bit much to take in the last few hours. We are all dealing with it. Thanks very much.
I am so sorry about your loss. My prayers to you and your family as they go through this difficult time.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

About the hummingbird feeders. My dad put a little "cup" ( he recycled old spray can caps for this purpose),--turned up to the sky --over the hummingbird feeder . I do not recall the exact procedure but it seemed to work. I know he kept some sort of liquid in the cap. Vegetable oil?
Perhaps he just knotted the hummingbird feeder cord about 6 inches from the feeder, drilled a small hole in the cap and threaded the cap onto the string, sealing the hole with hot glue(?) or another glue. A washer might help stabilize the paint cap. He had 3 or 4 feeders hanging along a wire he had strung between 2 trees in the front yard. Hummingbirds loved his feeders.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Mine works fine, I used a regular old red plastic cup, two washing machine hose rubber washer inserts, two flat washers and two nuts through a piece of hollow all thread. Made it in under a half hour. no more ants in the sugar water and the hummingbird show is on as I write this.
Thanks Mississippi man that was a good idea.

BTW the chalk worked too! So thanks to the guy from Hyden too, although you troll my home thread regularly, you did do something nice and helpful here. I would have stuck with the chalk but I wanted something more permanent. I like to see those little hummers in the mornings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

98 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Stivers Center fixes 17 min gator 62
1 Blessing From God 31 min Stephen Levi 15
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 45 min sure 147,051
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr NewsHeadlines 129,000
Who will barbourvilles NEW police chief 1 hr Bob 6
Barbourville online and Windstream 1 hr andy 17
Knox County = Stupid 1 hr Charles 3
john sowders 7 hr stephanie 4
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs