Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,635

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90762 Jul 9, 2013
Overly needy duckling may also be the most adorable creature ever

Dogs may be man's best friend, but ducks know who their meal ticket is, too. And they learn early. We're not sure where this duckling's mama is, but it's not going to let the next best thing out of its sight. Not when that person is also responsible for drawing the water for its daily swim, for blow-drying it to a fluffy finish and, most of all, for cuddling and stroking it until it attains perfect bliss. We were ready to declare this the most needy and spoiled creature on Earth, until realizing that description has to apply to the owner of this thief of hearts, too.

http://now.msn.com/cute-and-needy-duckling-wo...

I know UNA would've liked this one. haha
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90763 Jul 9, 2013
haha, he would really love this one.

Cops called to investigate fight started by man's loud farts

A well-meaning Michigan woman called 911 after overhearing what sounded like a violent argument coming from her neighbors' house. She heard a woman shouting "Stop! No!," each cry punctuated by a loud noise. But when officers arrived, they discovered that the woman in question was being terrorized by … her boyfriend's farts. The man was apparently assaulting her with his earsplitting ass music as she yelled at him to stop it. After discovering the source of the sound (and, we're guessing, the smell), the officers wrote "Cleared the scene expeditiously" in their report. "It's quite often that we respond to things that have a funny twist to them," police chief Harry Anderson said. "This was definitely one for the books.

http://now.msn.com/police-called-to-investiga...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90764 Jul 9, 2013
Slam those icons trolls...hahaha I don't care. At least my fellow birdthreaders will have something to read besides your anonymous proxy BS.

I hope you guys have a good night.

Here's one for the BIRDS:

This whistling parrot is always looking on the bright side of life

As far as snapping our fingers goes, we're better at it than Ollie the parrot — but only because of his claw situation. When it comes to whistling a tune, we've got nothing on this African grey's sound. And of all the most excellent song choices Ollie could whistle along to, Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is pretty perfect. Ollie should definitely team up with a certain tap dancing bird and take that show on the road.

http://now.msn.com/ollie-parrot-whistles-mont...
qwerty

Hillsboro, OH

#90765 Jul 9, 2013
“The best way to be boring is to leave nothing out.”
Voltaire

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90766 Jul 9, 2013
Warm Summer day today. Loved it!
Anne

United States

#90767 Jul 9, 2013
@a believer: that ziplock Baggie/water/pennies trick- I'm gonna definitely try that one!!

Too hot for me today! So. Siesta time around here if hitting the couch and watching a movie in the air conditioned living room counts!

As far as these chickens in my newly painted shed go, yes they require a lot of upkeep. But my grandson enjoys them..even if some of them are too old to lay.. They are fun to sit and watch. He does pretty good checking on them and I will turn over the feeding to him soon-- summer is busy for him as he's at his dads house most of the time. The broilers we used to raise were shipped out at 3-4 pounds(6weeks?) so this long term relationship with the ladies is different in that respect! Lol
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90769 Jul 10, 2013
“Oh, my god, they’re amazing,” said Coston, who frequently cuddles her chickens.“We have some of the sweetest ones here. They just sit beside you and they let you pet them. And they’re big and dumpy.”

Really, dumpy. I've heard of chickens being referred to as red, white. Laying or not. Pets. I like to eat Rhode Island red chicken eggs as well as a plump chicken. I just can't figure how a red combed, clucking, pooping consistently bird like a chicken could be considered both sweet and dumpy in that context. As for me they're good eats as well as a decent alarm clock that you never have to turn off. Lol.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90771 Jul 10, 2013
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken.. Southern Fried
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Oriental style with fried rice
Chicken barbequed
Hot Wings

and of course, EGGS to eat and poop for the garden.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90772 Jul 10, 2013
Jen wrote:
Get over the birds! Hillbillies
Get over it. Some of these "hillbillies" might whoop your arse.
Anne

United States

#90774 Jul 10, 2013
Ya know, I've lived in about 20 different places. Many times its been in a subdivision/city. Not bad . Enjoyed it, in fact. I've lived in the country on and off for many years. So I can honestly tell you what I prefer.
The place I live now was a clear and conscious choice. I truly enjoy the woods with paths, the field that holds the"Easter flower" patch of the home from long ago and the pond with the old rowboat and the more than ample dock. It makes me glow with contentment watching the grandchildren rush their friends to see the few chickens and perhaps collect an egg or two, then playing a game of tug of war with the dog.. It's great watching them dash across the dock leaping high in the air giving a war whoop to see how much of a splash they can make. And the gazebo tucked down below the steep wooded bank where one can sit with a glass of lemon aid and watch a game of corn hole. Sometimes we watch the neighbors cows with their gentle swishing tails. Frogs, crickets, birds and the occasional train whistle in the far distance. Yep. If this makes me a hillbilly, then that's what I want to be. Oh yeah!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90776 Jul 10, 2013
@Anne.. I totally agree with your post. I am honored to be called a Hill-Billy. I have lived in the country and commuted to the city for over 40 years to work.

Many people have asked why I drove so far to work and my reply was "I don't drive this far to work, I drive this far to get away from the city".

Now I am permanently here and only go into town when it is absolutely necessary and I have never had a sip of "Starbucks" in my life nor have I ever driven a BMW. But I have driven a tractor and followed a gas-passing mule. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90778 Jul 10, 2013
The simple life is a luxurious one I wholeheartedly agree. Simple because I don't have to worry about a car jacking- not yet anyway- and if partner wants to use a tree like a dog then whiz at it. Gardens, ponds, animals great and small. Squirrels scrambling from branch to branch. Loving this country life;) Sure am Blessed by life's little fortunes.

Great day to All the good Folks! May you have joy throughout the day;)Nature itself is a humbling experience. To enjoy the running brooks and hear all the creatures. Nothing better except the sounds of children's laughter as they partake of the great bounty offered by Mother Earth and truly appreciate what is front of them. I agree, Anne, you and AW have your paradise as far as I can tell. I love your true stories.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#90779 Jul 10, 2013
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90780 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
I agree Imposter. I almost bought the farm twice myself a few years ago and I am still here thanks to the Good Lord and the skills of the surgeons and every day is a bonus and nothing else really matters. I will skip courting of the widows though. I am self sufficient and don't need any more responsibilities. But I will enjoy a few widow's company without any courting. LOL Life is very good. We just don't realize how good until it is almost gone.
Anne

United States

#90782 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Here I was tooting how I love my country living and then I read your post and I realize that good health and being alive is sooooo much more. I do hope your health is good now. It's my guess it is if you are interested in courting... Lol. And I'm glad you haven't " bought the farm" . May God bless and keep you!

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90783 Jul 10, 2013
Wooo a hot one here! Washed my car, and it started thundering. lol Just my luck.
Anne

United States

#90784 Jul 10, 2013
Oh my. Group hug..
Anne

United States

#90785 Jul 10, 2013
It is very windy here and just finished up with the torrents of rain. Guess my hens have cooled off enough as we just gathered a "pink" egg. No eggs at all during this heat...
About living simple. It's lots if work. Now I gotta drain out the rowboat....on and on. I know all of you know exactly what I mean! Lol

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90787 Jul 10, 2013
Hi, folks. It's been wet and wild here. Hope no one blew away. Lightning knocked out my computer for a short while. I had a flooded "pond" near the end of the driveway, where the water overflowed the culvert. There were about 50 blackbirds using it for a cool-off 'bird bath.' The air is much cooler now, and Anne's and AW's hens are surely happier.@Imposter: I'm so glad that you are better now. I know exactly how you feel. I almost "bought the farm" a year ago, and health and life is so much more important to me right now. I will keep you in my prayers for you to continue to be well.
Anne

Duluth, GA

#90788 Jul 10, 2013
Not to make light of anyone's health..please don't take this as such...but there seems to be a lot of farms for sale ...lol

Thankfully my health is still good but there has been several times accidents could've/should've happened and we were spared. After doing a 360 on ice-which included hitting a ditch bank that prevented us from flipping over--we sat in silence until my grandson spoke in a soft voice, "Grandma, are we dead?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min No Surprize 153,490
new hunting and fishing store 25 min john 5
opening in November 27 min john 9
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 33 min Kentucky 4,896
knox board of ed raising taxes 34 min sick of taxes 83
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Serious 26,275
Kayla Jackson mills??? 1 hr Unconcerned citizen 2
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 2 hr Praying for everyone 20
A Rat In Knox County 4 hr Genius 8
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE