Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,724

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90771 Jul 10, 2013
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken.. Southern Fried
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Oriental style with fried rice
Chicken barbequed
Hot Wings

and of course, EGGS to eat and poop for the garden.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90772 Jul 10, 2013
Jen wrote:
Get over the birds! Hillbillies
Get over it. Some of these "hillbillies" might whoop your arse.
Anne

United States

#90774 Jul 10, 2013
Ya know, I've lived in about 20 different places. Many times its been in a subdivision/city. Not bad . Enjoyed it, in fact. I've lived in the country on and off for many years. So I can honestly tell you what I prefer.
The place I live now was a clear and conscious choice. I truly enjoy the woods with paths, the field that holds the"Easter flower" patch of the home from long ago and the pond with the old rowboat and the more than ample dock. It makes me glow with contentment watching the grandchildren rush their friends to see the few chickens and perhaps collect an egg or two, then playing a game of tug of war with the dog.. It's great watching them dash across the dock leaping high in the air giving a war whoop to see how much of a splash they can make. And the gazebo tucked down below the steep wooded bank where one can sit with a glass of lemon aid and watch a game of corn hole. Sometimes we watch the neighbors cows with their gentle swishing tails. Frogs, crickets, birds and the occasional train whistle in the far distance. Yep. If this makes me a hillbilly, then that's what I want to be. Oh yeah!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90776 Jul 10, 2013
@Anne.. I totally agree with your post. I am honored to be called a Hill-Billy. I have lived in the country and commuted to the city for over 40 years to work.

Many people have asked why I drove so far to work and my reply was "I don't drive this far to work, I drive this far to get away from the city".

Now I am permanently here and only go into town when it is absolutely necessary and I have never had a sip of "Starbucks" in my life nor have I ever driven a BMW. But I have driven a tractor and followed a gas-passing mule. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90778 Jul 10, 2013
The simple life is a luxurious one I wholeheartedly agree. Simple because I don't have to worry about a car jacking- not yet anyway- and if partner wants to use a tree like a dog then whiz at it. Gardens, ponds, animals great and small. Squirrels scrambling from branch to branch. Loving this country life;) Sure am Blessed by life's little fortunes.

Great day to All the good Folks! May you have joy throughout the day;)Nature itself is a humbling experience. To enjoy the running brooks and hear all the creatures. Nothing better except the sounds of children's laughter as they partake of the great bounty offered by Mother Earth and truly appreciate what is front of them. I agree, Anne, you and AW have your paradise as far as I can tell. I love your true stories.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#90779 Jul 10, 2013
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90780 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
I agree Imposter. I almost bought the farm twice myself a few years ago and I am still here thanks to the Good Lord and the skills of the surgeons and every day is a bonus and nothing else really matters. I will skip courting of the widows though. I am self sufficient and don't need any more responsibilities. But I will enjoy a few widow's company without any courting. LOL Life is very good. We just don't realize how good until it is almost gone.
Anne

United States

#90782 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Here I was tooting how I love my country living and then I read your post and I realize that good health and being alive is sooooo much more. I do hope your health is good now. It's my guess it is if you are interested in courting... Lol. And I'm glad you haven't " bought the farm" . May God bless and keep you!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90783 Jul 10, 2013
Wooo a hot one here! Washed my car, and it started thundering. lol Just my luck.
Anne

United States

#90784 Jul 10, 2013
Oh my. Group hug..
Anne

United States

#90785 Jul 10, 2013
It is very windy here and just finished up with the torrents of rain. Guess my hens have cooled off enough as we just gathered a "pink" egg. No eggs at all during this heat...
About living simple. It's lots if work. Now I gotta drain out the rowboat....on and on. I know all of you know exactly what I mean! Lol

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90787 Jul 10, 2013
Hi, folks. It's been wet and wild here. Hope no one blew away. Lightning knocked out my computer for a short while. I had a flooded "pond" near the end of the driveway, where the water overflowed the culvert. There were about 50 blackbirds using it for a cool-off 'bird bath.' The air is much cooler now, and Anne's and AW's hens are surely happier.@Imposter: I'm so glad that you are better now. I know exactly how you feel. I almost "bought the farm" a year ago, and health and life is so much more important to me right now. I will keep you in my prayers for you to continue to be well.
Anne

Duluth, GA

#90788 Jul 10, 2013
Not to make light of anyone's health..please don't take this as such...but there seems to be a lot of farms for sale ...lol

Thankfully my health is still good but there has been several times accidents could've/should've happened and we were spared. After doing a 360 on ice-which included hitting a ditch bank that prevented us from flipping over--we sat in silence until my grandson spoke in a soft voice, "Grandma, are we dead?"
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90789 Jul 10, 2013
Hey bird threaders. Hope you didn't get blown or washed away. Glad that we didn't much more than some t/l and heavy rain for a short period. Some lost power, but my area was spared. Grateful that I didn't have to loose my air. haha It was a HOT, HOT one before the storm.

For all the chicken lovers:

Abandoned chickens overwhelm nation's animal shelters

As urban farming has grown in popularity across the country, so have the number of chickens showing up at animal shelters. Hundreds of chickens are being abandoned each year from Portland, Ore., to Austin, Texas, to New York, as enthusiastic DIYers realize that chickens only lay eggs for a couple of years, but can live a decade after that. "It's the stupid foodies," said Mary Britton Clouse, who runs the Chicken Run Rescue in Minneapolis. She said people are often surprised that chickens can be noisy, attract predators or pests and sometimes require expensive veterinary care.

http://now.msn.com/chicken-abandoned-by-urban...

How sad. They will have to start a chicken rescue organization like they do for cats, dogs, and horses.

@Anne, you describe the perfect childhood. Although, I am an Army brat, whenever visiting my Grandma and Aunts/Uncles that is the first thing we would do. Run to see the chickens, cows, goats, hit the boat dock and jump as hard as we could to make the biggest splashes. We would lay under the stars (so much brighter in a dark sky not reflecting thousands of lights) on a blanket telling ghost stories and listening to the loudest crickets, frogs, owls etc. Catch grasshoppers during the day, digging up nightcrawlers for fishing and lightning bugs at night in jars. Run the paths in the woods and just smell the Earth. We loved it. I am so glad we did not grow up in a technical world. This generation has missed out on some good old fashion fun. We always loved it when Dad told he had some leave put in to take us to see our relatives. Thanks for sparking those memories. I have to go look at some great family pictures now.:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90790 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
A positive attitude that sure will keep you going;) I wish you better health and luck in love. Your heart sure is big; may you find someone to help build up the fires:) You can never be too old to court a good thing. Hehe.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90791 Jul 10, 2013
Anne wrote:
@a believer: that ziplock Baggie/water/pennies trick- I'm gonna definitely try that one!!
Too hot for me today! So. Siesta time around here if hitting the couch and watching a movie in the air conditioned living room counts!
As far as these chickens in my newly painted shed go, yes they require a lot of upkeep. But my grandson enjoys them..even if some of them are too old to lay.. They are fun to sit and watch. He does pretty good checking on them and I will turn over the feeding to him soon-- summer is busy for him as he's at his dads house most of the time. The broilers we used to raise were shipped out at 3-4 pounds(6weeks?) so this long term relationship with the ladies is different in that respect! Lol
I got mine going. Haven't seen any flies or wasp around so far. Everyone swears by it that goes camping as well.

It was siesta time for me too!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90792 Jul 10, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Anne.. I totally agree with your post. I am honored to be called a Hill-Billy. I have lived in the country and commuted to the city for over 40 years to work.
Many people have asked why I drove so far to work and my reply was "I don't drive this far to work, I drive this far to get away from the city".
Now I am permanently here and only go into town when it is absolutely necessary and I have never had a sip of "Starbucks" in my life nor have I ever driven a BMW. But I have driven a tractor and followed a gas-passing mule. LOL
Hello AW, I agree about the hillbilly, I love being a Kentucky hillbilly now. I don't miss waiting in lines every morning trying to get into a military base, I am no longer in the country much with progress building up around me (time to move soon), I sipped Starbucks once and said nope, I love my homebrew coffee and it's cheaper, I will take plain coffee or tea. I have driven a BMW, no big deal, and once drove a brand new Corvette off the lot, drove it for a year, supreme automobile. I liked it better than the BMW. My favorite car was a 69 Camaro SS (wish I still had it). Those old muscle cars were built sturdy. Bring big bucks now. haha I stay with American auto companies like my Dad taught us. I have ridden on a mule. lol Don't remember it passing gas though. haha

Hope you didn't washed out from the creek. Our raised up a bit after going down from all the rain last week.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90793 Jul 10, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken.. Southern Fried
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Oriental style with fried rice
Chicken barbequed
Hot Wings
and of course, EGGS to eat and poop for the garden.
Love all that, but don't want to meet them first. lol

I won't eat anything but fresh eggs when I can get them. I save all my cartons for my egg man.:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90794 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Love, hugs, and blessings to you Imposter. I am so happy you didn't buy the farm. GOD is clearly not done with you. I hope you find a widow worth courting. If I lived close by I would help you look. lol

There is no place like home...shack, trailor, apt, house, mansion.. doesn't matter. Just great to get home to, especially after a hospital experience. I am glad we didn't know until now. We would have worried ourselves into grey hair like we did lala last year. We kept up through email with her hubby. Prayers to you to recuperate fully and live long and prosperous. You are family now. We care. You now how we miss Una to this day. Last year he was just starting to mellow to our bird thread. haha Sure miss his funny post.

You take care now. Life IS good. Have a great evening.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#90795 Jul 10, 2013
Oglala wrote:
@Imposter: I'm so glad that you are better now. I know exactly how you feel. I almost "bought the farm" a year ago, and health and life is so much more important to me right now..
We sure were glad you didn't buy the farm either.:)

Seen this today!

Louisiana Sinkhole Forcing Longtime Neighbors Away From Area

BAYOU CORNE, La.-- The sob is deep and exhaled on a frustrated sigh.

"I cannot stand this!" The words burst from Annette Richie and ping off the bare walls of the empty living room as her neighbors of 20 years, Bucky and Joanie Mistretta, recall happier times along Bayou Corne.

"I know, I know," Joanie Mistretta said, soothing her. "You come back now and it's just sad."

They were supposed to be planning camping trips, cookouts and potlucks. Instead, the Mistrettas, the Richies and many neighbors in the swampy Assumption Parish community are packing up decades' worth of belongings, chased from waterfront homes that were supposed to be retirement nests by a gas-emitting, 22-acre sinkhole less than a mile away.

The sinkhole, discovered Aug. 3, resulted from a collapsed underground salt dome cavern about 40 miles south of Baton Rouge. After oil and natural gas came oozing up and acres of the swampland liquefied into muck, the community's 350 residents were advised to evacuate.

Texas Brine Co., the operator of the salt dome, is negotiating buyouts of residents who have not joined lawsuits filed against the company. Texas Brine spokesman Sonny Cranch said 92 buyout offers have been made, with 44 accepted so far.

The Mistrettas, retired educators, are taking the buyout offer.
Richie, a high school literacy teacher, and her husband are part of a class-action lawsuit that's scheduled for trial next year. Both families have bought new houses, in Ascension and Assumption parishes. After two decades together in Bayou Corne, they won't be neighbors anymore.

"We just feel that this place is not ever going to be what it once was," said Bucky Mistretta. "It was just a beautiful, pristine place on the bayou. And now that's gone, and we just don't feel safe about what's underneath us."

Residents who want to stay are wrestling with the same fears as their fleeing neighbors: Is it safe? Will the slow-growing sinkhole undermine the area's infrastructure, including Louisiana 70? And will the natural gas bubbling to the surface on the bayou accumulate in confined spaces and cause an explosion?

Although parish officials have said they don't think either will happen, they are monitoring both issues.

continued:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min ChromiuMan 132,143
kids free glasses and hearing checked 14 min shame on u 15
fire station or not 31 min unkel 9
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 40 min Darren 9
praying it's all a lie 53 min Darren 2
terry smith from the creek 56 min wondering 10
Barbourville nursing home 1 hr Visitor 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 11 hr dad 52
dinky phipps 11 hr friend 15
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:45 am PST

NFL10:45AM
One Preview: Steelers could ride 'Triplets' to division title
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports12:17 PM
Jurrell Casey won't go to Pro Bowl as an alternate
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"