Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81693 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90730 Jul 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Afternoon Miss E. I was enjoying being able to mow grass again for the past 3 hours even though the local weather report calls for more isolated thunderstorms this evening. Now time to enjoy kicking back and watching westerns on TV land with all the commercials pointed toward older folks.
If you did not already know, Alex Trebeck has been supporting Colonial Penn life insurance for over TEN YEARS. I can't wait to see Pat Boone advertise the safe-step walk in tub or the Fonz advertise One Reverse Mortgage. And some folks think this thread is boring. LOL
Hi, AW. Those commercials are a hoot, aren't they. They are also full of hooey. Reverse mortgage, fooey. Sign on the line, and drop dead the next day, and good-bye to leaving anything to the kids. Well, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.
Hope your hens are doing well. This morning, I awoke to a terrible ruckus on my side deck. The porch swing was hitting the side of the house, dogs growling and howling, and the most terrible screeching. I ran outside to find a young ground hog cornered with my 3 outside dogs trying to attack it. I woke hubby with my hollers for help, and out he ran, in his boxers. Hubby grabbed the cat carrier from the garage, and in ran the frightened groundhog. My, oh my, they have big teeth and long, heavy claws. I distracted the dogs while he ferried the critter to the back of the farm, near woods, hayfield, and river. Hubby's adventure wasn't done. The groundhog wouldn't get out of the cat carrier, so hubby gently dumped him out. He dove under the truck and hubby had to chase him around to get him to go off to the woods. With our luck, he'll be back to raid our garden. Hope he takes a few cucumbers. They're growing fast and we have so many, we don't know what to do with them. Neighbors have their own bountiful crop and don't want them either. Feast or famine here. Just another day on the farm. LOL

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90731 Jul 8, 2013
Good evening folks, It was a beautiful, but very hot day today. My bathroom floor is getting retiled and a couple of kitchen tiles are being replaced. This has been going on for over a week. I have a handyman that is very good, but only does this as a part-time side job, so I have been putting up with the mess for awhile. Dust everywhere.

The new horse that I adopted has put on sufficient weight for me to ride her, and now I only have to wait for the farrier to trim her hooves. She was a neglected animal that was rescued, and I volunteered to get her well. It's been an expensive proposition, but she has responded beautifully. I've got to quit spoiling her. She constantly looks toward the house when I go out, expecting me to come to give her a pat on the neck or some treats. Horses are gorgeous animals, but a lot of work. At least it keeps me busy. I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet, and I'm too old for a rocking horse.
Anne

United States

#90732 Jul 8, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, AW. Those commercials are a hoot, aren't they. They are also full of hooey. Reverse mortgage, fooey. Sign on the line, and drop dead the next day, and good-bye to leaving anything to the kids. Well, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.
Hope your hens are doing well. This morning, I awoke to a terrible ruckus on my side deck. The porch swing was hitting the side of the house, dogs growling and howling, and the most terrible screeching. I ran outside to find a young ground hog cornered with my 3 outside dogs trying to attack it. I woke hubby with my hollers for help, and out he ran, in his boxers. Hubby grabbed the cat carrier from the garage, and in ran the frightened groundhog. My, oh my, they have big teeth and long, heavy claws. I distracted the dogs while he ferried the critter to the back of the farm, near woods, hayfield, and river. Hubby's adventure wasn't done. The groundhog wouldn't get out of the cat carrier, so hubby gently dumped him out. He dove under the truck and hubby had to chase him around to get him to go off to the woods. With our luck, he'll be back to raid our garden. Hope he takes a few cucumbers. They're growing fast and we have so many, we don't know what to do with them. Neighbors have their own bountiful crop and don't want them either. Feast or famine here. Just another day on the farm. LOL
That is one crazy groundhog story! Talk about waking up with a bang! I can just see that groundhog heading for the safety of the cat carrier.(Our cats are more than willing to get out of the carriers though.) Ahh, the quiet, peaceful country life!! Don't 'cha just love it!
Hope your tiling project gets finished soon. I don't have any tile floors at this house but I do like them. Our tile guy for the bath surround and the shower brought his tent and literally camped out so he could work the tile as soon as it was set up. He was pushing to get the job done as soon as he could. Interesting dude . From Canada. With a green card.
qwerty

Buna, TX

#90733 Jul 9, 2013
It's a tricky day, because you're facing a clash between what you want to doo doo and what you have to doo doo. Unfortunately, it looks as though there isn't much leeway in all this, unless you're prepared to put your doodies to one side and then face the music when you're caught out. It's not a good day to ask for time off work, either, because other people may not be very sympathetic to your request and may even refuse to grant it.
spike

AOL

#90734 Jul 9, 2013
good morning fellow bluegrass birders ,....
let the glorious day begin !
its a gona be a hot one !

young wood chuck make for a great BAR B Q ,...

{the older fat ones tasted like carp crap - even if marinated for several days }
,....but the young -uns are good eatin!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90735 Jul 9, 2013
Got a couple hours of much needed sleep last night. Hope you all have a great day! It's going to be hot, so take care!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90752 Jul 9, 2013
One needs duct tape to go with the hammer. It also works well to cover a pink crack. But it won't stick in the rain, so better watch for that forecast. Chicken poop makes tomatoes grow high and watermelons juicy. LOL
Anne

United States

#90754 Jul 9, 2013
Heeheehee, you sure did make some lemon aid with those lemons !!!:-)
YouCanSayAnythin g

United States

#90758 Jul 9, 2013
Control problems...
qwerty

Buna, TX

#90765 Jul 9, 2013
“The best way to be boring is to leave nothing out.”
Voltaire

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90766 Jul 9, 2013
Warm Summer day today. Loved it!
Anne

United States

#90767 Jul 9, 2013
@a believer: that ziplock Baggie/water/pennies trick- I'm gonna definitely try that one!!

Too hot for me today! So. Siesta time around here if hitting the couch and watching a movie in the air conditioned living room counts!

As far as these chickens in my newly painted shed go, yes they require a lot of upkeep. But my grandson enjoys them..even if some of them are too old to lay.. They are fun to sit and watch. He does pretty good checking on them and I will turn over the feeding to him soon-- summer is busy for him as he's at his dads house most of the time. The broilers we used to raise were shipped out at 3-4 pounds(6weeks?) so this long term relationship with the ladies is different in that respect! Lol
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90769 Jul 10, 2013
“Oh, my god, they’re amazing,” said Coston, who frequently cuddles her chickens.“We have some of the sweetest ones here. They just sit beside you and they let you pet them. And they’re big and dumpy.”

Really, dumpy. I've heard of chickens being referred to as red, white. Laying or not. Pets. I like to eat Rhode Island red chicken eggs as well as a plump chicken. I just can't figure how a red combed, clucking, pooping consistently bird like a chicken could be considered both sweet and dumpy in that context. As for me they're good eats as well as a decent alarm clock that you never have to turn off. Lol.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90771 Jul 10, 2013
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken.. Southern Fried
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Oriental style with fried rice
Chicken barbequed
Hot Wings

and of course, EGGS to eat and poop for the garden.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90772 Jul 10, 2013
Jen wrote:
Get over the birds! Hillbillies
Get over it. Some of these "hillbillies" might whoop your arse.
Anne

United States

#90774 Jul 10, 2013
Ya know, I've lived in about 20 different places. Many times its been in a subdivision/city. Not bad . Enjoyed it, in fact. I've lived in the country on and off for many years. So I can honestly tell you what I prefer.
The place I live now was a clear and conscious choice. I truly enjoy the woods with paths, the field that holds the"Easter flower" patch of the home from long ago and the pond with the old rowboat and the more than ample dock. It makes me glow with contentment watching the grandchildren rush their friends to see the few chickens and perhaps collect an egg or two, then playing a game of tug of war with the dog.. It's great watching them dash across the dock leaping high in the air giving a war whoop to see how much of a splash they can make. And the gazebo tucked down below the steep wooded bank where one can sit with a glass of lemon aid and watch a game of corn hole. Sometimes we watch the neighbors cows with their gentle swishing tails. Frogs, crickets, birds and the occasional train whistle in the far distance. Yep. If this makes me a hillbilly, then that's what I want to be. Oh yeah!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90776 Jul 10, 2013
@Anne.. I totally agree with your post. I am honored to be called a Hill-Billy. I have lived in the country and commuted to the city for over 40 years to work.

Many people have asked why I drove so far to work and my reply was "I don't drive this far to work, I drive this far to get away from the city".

Now I am permanently here and only go into town when it is absolutely necessary and I have never had a sip of "Starbucks" in my life nor have I ever driven a BMW. But I have driven a tractor and followed a gas-passing mule. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90778 Jul 10, 2013
The simple life is a luxurious one I wholeheartedly agree. Simple because I don't have to worry about a car jacking- not yet anyway- and if partner wants to use a tree like a dog then whiz at it. Gardens, ponds, animals great and small. Squirrels scrambling from branch to branch. Loving this country life;) Sure am Blessed by life's little fortunes.

Great day to All the good Folks! May you have joy throughout the day;)Nature itself is a humbling experience. To enjoy the running brooks and hear all the creatures. Nothing better except the sounds of children's laughter as they partake of the great bounty offered by Mother Earth and truly appreciate what is front of them. I agree, Anne, you and AW have your paradise as far as I can tell. I love your true stories.
Imposter

Science Hill, KY

#90779 Jul 10, 2013
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90780 Jul 10, 2013
Imposter wrote:
Simple life, good life, extravagant life....any life not filled with pain is a good life if you ask me. Life is good, I almost bought the farm recently.
Man oh man I'm glad the good lord decided to let me live a while longer. I had a whole lot of things to do that I didn't even know I needed to do! Weeks and weeks in the hospitable hospital has made old imposter see how good this old shack really is.
I almost checked out for good folks, I am so glad to be alive! I'm going to court me a widow if my ticker will let me LOL, have a nice day. Life is good.
I agree Imposter. I almost bought the farm twice myself a few years ago and I am still here thanks to the Good Lord and the skills of the surgeons and every day is a bonus and nothing else really matters. I will skip courting of the widows though. I am self sufficient and don't need any more responsibilities. But I will enjoy a few widow's company without any courting. LOL Life is very good. We just don't realize how good until it is almost gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is helping parents with Christmas ? 5 min Jeff Bowling 9
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr CriminalForever 156,446
Grays Pallet Store Drug Dealing ? 4 hr gray resident 12
Knox Schools 5 hr My basketballer 14
Recounts what happens next a civil upheaval? 7 hr Damstrat8 16
knox county bus garage (Aug '09) 7 hr Gossip Girl 41
School buses 16 hr smh 3

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages