Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,705

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90509 Jun 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Just had another quick thunderstorm and down pour here and got plenty of water... but I was not drinking it, only wearing it LOL
No rain here, just heat. It's air that you can wear!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90510 Jun 27, 2013
Good evening, my fine feathered friends. I see that Roaming is still awake, as am I. I've been a little under the weather, both literally and figuratively, but I DO plan to drop in more often.
My new horse arrived, and I still haven't ridden her yet. She was neglected prior to being donated to the adoption agency, where I found her. I need to put about 75 pounds on her before she will be at a desirable weight. But she has been well-mannered and very gentle so far. We'll see what happens when I try to ride her for the first time. She doesn't even mind my dogs. Two of my outside dogs, one of whom is over 100 pounds, panicked at the approaching storm yesterday, and when I opened the stall door, they both scurried in and refused to leave. The horse didn't even bat an eyelash at sharing her stall with these two strange-looking 'horses'.

I'm glad to see that my old friends have been keeping up with the thread. My garden is growing slowly but surely, and the recent rain helped. It also helped the weeds grow.
I still have tons of birds in my yard. They eat side by side with the dogs, who gladly share their kibble. Needless to say, we go through dog food very quickly.

Hope that those of you who are tucked snugly in your beds have a restful sleep. I will be up on and off through the night, as usual. I sympathize with Roaming for having the same issues that I do.

Will talk to you all tomorrow. Love and Prayers, Lala.

Location hidden

#90511 Jun 27, 2013
Anne wrote:
Got a call today from my dozer man telling me about some geodes free for the taking. I'm 70 geodes richer!! Small mishap: took a step to get closer to a certain geode and found myself almost ankle deep in mud. It was the second time I'd worn these new shoes:-(
It was a great day and I had a great visit with my company! Roaming you certainly worked late today! Hope you get some good rest tonight!
Geodes are very interesting rock formations. There are tons of them on my farm. Some are naturally open, and you can see the crystals inside. Others remain whole, just waiting to be split and polished.

Location hidden

#90512 Jun 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I am financially poor but it has nothing to do with meaningless negative reactions to some of my trivial posts. Other than that, I am rich with Blessings from the Almighty. But Thanks for your concern.
We all love AW. By the way, Stein says a happy hello to dog.
Yea

Barbourville, KY

#90513 Jun 27, 2013
Idk why
punkin

Somerset, KY

#90514 Jun 27, 2013
Anne wrote:
@ Misty: loved the horse story. Some people that have monkeys on their backs need to take a lesson from this racehorse! Lol
@ Roaming; it sure was a "Drink Water" kind of day! Way too hot for me! Luv that ac!
@ AW: please be assured I am forever grateful to all the bird threaders that joined in the great chicken hunt while laying low waiting for the "storm " to pass . Lol. Have a good night!
Hi Anne, I see you posted about geo rocks. I have all kinds I need to get rid of lol! We go to the creek frequently & I started collecting them for a flower bed, but ended up just using other material after bringing home all kinds of rocks! Haha oh well, maybe ill find something to do with them or someone who can use them! Have a great night everyone! God bless!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90515 Jun 27, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Geodes are very interesting rock formations. There are tons of them on my farm. Some are naturally open, and you can see the crystals inside. Others remain whole, just waiting to be split and polished.
In Mercer County near Shaker Village, there is an old abandoned country grocery where the entire building is made of geodes and mortar. Dog says "Hello" to Stein, but that is nothing special. He has said "hello" to nearly everything tonight. lol

Location hidden

#90516 Jun 28, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
In Mercer County near Shaker Village, there is an old abandoned country grocery where the entire building is made of geodes and mortar. Dog says "Hello" to Stein, but that is nothing special. He has said "hello" to nearly everything tonight. lol
You are up very early this morning. Must be dog/tree time. LOL That country store sounds like an interesting piece of architecture. There was a house in MA. made from hand-hewn logs, and all the windows were made from beer bottles. Somebody must have been very thirsty.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90517 Jun 28, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
You are up very early this morning. Must be dog/tree time. LOL That country store sounds like an interesting piece of architecture. There was a house in MA. made from hand-hewn logs, and all the windows were made from beer bottles. Somebody must have been very thirsty.
Dog had a restless night. He kept wanting to visit the tree but did not want to go out in the rain. LOL
Rock a Billy

Greenup, KY

#90518 Jun 28, 2013
Good morning All! Having my coffee and them off to work after I walk the dogs. Embrace the Day!
Anne

United States

#90519 Jun 28, 2013
....and a Good Morning to everyone!
It's been a great day so far! Found the missing hen under the shed and lured her out with a handful of scratch. My roadside finds from last night---9 white plastic chairs and a porch swing frame--turned out great! Just need to wash them off with some elbow grease!
It's nice to see the regulars on here again! And I'm jealous of the geodes that lala has! AW, that old grocery store would be something I'd love to see. How close to Shaker Village? It'd be a nice trip. Maybe an overnight trip.
When we visited Prince Edward Island there was a small chapel built entirely of bottles! Very impressive! Thousands of bottles!
Y'all have a great day! I'm off to breakfast.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90520 Jun 28, 2013
And a good morning to you all. Was another sleepless night, but I did get a lot done. I hope it's not so hot today. Wanna have a cookout tonight.
Anne

United States

#90521 Jun 28, 2013
punkin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Anne, I see you posted about geo rocks. I have all kinds I need to get rid of lol! We go to the creek frequently & I started collecting them for a flower bed, but ended up just using other material after bringing home all kinds of rocks! Haha oh well, maybe ill find something to do with them or someone who can use them! Have a great night everyone! God bless!
Free geodes?? I'll be there in 3 hours! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90522 Jun 28, 2013
Anne wrote:
....and a Good Morning to everyone!
It's been a great day so far! Found the missing hen under the shed and lured her out with a handful of scratch. My roadside finds from last night---9 white plastic chairs and a porch swing frame--turned out great! Just need to wash them off with some elbow grease!
It's nice to see the regulars on here again! And I'm jealous of the geodes that lala has! AW, that old grocery store would be something I'd love to see. How close to Shaker Village? It'd be a nice trip. Maybe an overnight trip.
When we visited Prince Edward Island there was a small chapel built entirely of bottles! Very impressive! Thousands of bottles!
Y'all have a great day! I'm off to breakfast.
"Shaker Village at PLeasant Hill" is at the intersection of U.S. 68 and Ky. Hwy 33 going toward the community of Burgin. That village has been restored and they have excellent dining, a visitor's center, gift shop, grounds touring, and overnight lodging in some of the old community quarters. The village sits atop the hills a few miles past the Kentucky River (with large limestone Palisades also worth viewing and a boat ride down the river to view those Palisades, wild life, and such) and is where the Shakers once took their goods down river to sell. The old Geode store is a couple of miles from the Shaker Village, but I can't remember if it is going back east on U.S. 68 toward Lexington or Southwest on Ky 33 toward Burgin.

You can read about the Shakers and Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill online. While in the area, you might also want to go on about 6 miles to the town of Harrodsburg to see Old Fort Harrod which was one of Kentucky's original forts. Traveling on Hwy 33 through the town of Burgin, you will come to Danville and can visit "Constitution Square" where the original constitution for the state was initiated. Also, that is the same area where Ephraim McDowell performed the first surgery in the state on Jame Todd Crawford. Much History in close proxximity including Perryville Battlefield State Park and Camp Nelson Heritage center where over 10,000 African Americans were inducted into the Union Army after the Emancipation Proclamation. That is also worth a visit.

Location hidden

#90525 Jun 28, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog had a restless night. He kept wanting to visit the tree but did not want to go out in the rain. LOL
Stein does the same thing. But if I go out with him, he will do his business pronto. He probably thinks that if he has to get wet, I have to get wet too.
Anne

Mitchell, IN

#90526 Jun 28, 2013
E RATSO wrote:
<quoted text>she sounds like a hoarder ,....
collecting peoples other peoples trash ,..and hauling it home ,.. where it piles up in the house and yard ,.....
at least ky rocks are worth something ,...
{ the big round ones are worth about $1.00 ea wholesale }
dumb yankees might even pay more
Lol. Hoarder... Lol. Well the chairs will be placed in the crawl space under the house where we go during tornado warnings. So I have a very practical use for them. Swing frame? In a lovely spot in the woods. I may be a "dumb Yankee " but my geodes from Tuesday were free for the taking! Troll on.

Location hidden

#90527 Jun 28, 2013
E RATSO wrote:
<quoted text>she sounds like a hoarder ,....
collecting peoples other peoples trash ,..and hauling it home ,.. where it piles up in the house and yard ,.....
at least ky rocks are worth something ,...
{ the big round ones are worth about $1.00 ea wholesale }
dumb yankees might even pay more
Hey!!!! This Yankee turned Southerner is not dumb.

Location hidden

#90528 Jun 28, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Hoarder... Lol. Well the chairs will be placed in the crawl space under the house where we go during tornado warnings. So I have a very practical use for them. Swing frame? In a lovely spot in the woods. I may be a "dumb Yankee " but my geodes from Tuesday were free for the taking! Troll on.
So you're a Yankee transplant too? What state did you come from?
Anne

United States

#90529 Jun 28, 2013
Right now I'm residing in the state of my birth: Indiana.

We spent many years living in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Also Minnesota, Louisiana, Wyoming . Then my better half has lived in Rhode Island, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri and Pennsylvania. And yes, I know how to pack to move. Lol
Anne

United States

#90530 Jun 28, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
"Shaker Village at PLeasant Hill" is at the intersection of U.S. 68 and Ky. Hwy 33 going toward the community of Burgin. That village has been restored and they have excellent dining, a visitor's center, gift shop, grounds touring, and overnight lodging in some of the old community quarters. The village sits atop the hills a few miles past the Kentucky River (with large limestone Palisades also worth viewing and a boat ride down the river to view those Palisades, wild life, and such) and is where the Shakers once took their goods down river to sell. The old Geode store is a couple of miles from the Shaker Village, but I can't remember if it is going back east on U.S. 68 toward Lexington or Southwest on Ky 33 toward Burgin.
You can read about the Shakers and Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill online. While in the area, you might also want to go on about 6 miles to the town of Harrodsburg to see Old Fort Harrod which was one of Kentucky's original forts. Traveling on Hwy 33 through the town of Burgin, you will come to Danville and can visit "Constitution Square" where the original constitution for the state was initiated. Also, that is the same area where Ephraim McDowell performed the first surgery in the state on Jame Todd Crawford. Much History in close proxximity including Perryville Battlefield State Park and Camp Nelson Heritage center where over 10,000 African Americans were inducted into the Union Army after the Emancipation Proclamation. That is also worth a visit.
I'm fairly familiar with Danville KY. Constitution square. Centre college is where my daughter attended a summer program years ago. Oh they have a Big Brass Band Concert there every year and I've attended that a couple of times. But I've never done anything with Pleasant Hill. I've been to South Union a couple of times to tour the shaker village there but I know pleasant hill has much more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Harlan's Got Talent' coming next year 56 min checkingonthings 8
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 371
missing pit bull 1 hr Worried 2
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr SNYB 131,620
Curtis 2 hr Gator 1
backhole n dozer 5 hr knox co 1
no nickle tax knox BOE 16 hr sick of taxes 2
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:17 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:17PM
Week 13 skill-position injury report — Wednesday