Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Anne

United States

#90312 Jun 17, 2013
@AW: why is one of my hens eating its eggs? Lack of calcium? Is that why they sell the oyster shell crumbs for chickens at the farm store?

I did ask my Amish friend and some of hers eat their own eggs also. She thinks oyster shells should fix the problem but isn't sure.

I do give them laying pellets and some small gravel grit. They spend the day outside but in a pen where they fluff and scratch around in the dirt.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90313 Jun 17, 2013
Anne wrote:
@AW: why is one of my hens eating its eggs? Lack of calcium? Is that why they sell the oyster shell crumbs for chickens at the farm store?
I did ask my Amish friend and some of hers eat their own eggs also. She thinks oyster shells should fix the problem but isn't sure.
I do give them laying pellets and some small gravel grit. They spend the day outside but in a pen where they fluff and scratch around in the dirt.
Typically hens eat their own shells not so much from diet, but from too many hens per nesting box or not enough soft material such as hay in the nest. An alternative is to gather the eggs more frequently. Also make sure they have plenty of available water. If a shell is just slightly cracked, the hen will go for the liquid nourishment.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90314 Jun 17, 2013
Hens fluff and scratch in and throw dirt up on themselves and then shake it off to remove mites and such.

“I'm hawt and I know it. ”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#90315 Jun 17, 2013
kevin wrote:
Hopefully, the effect of the legumes I consumed this evening, has diminished by Tuesday afternoon...
Stay away from open flames, you could cause a horrendous explosion.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90317 Jun 18, 2013
@Anne.. I don't buy the oyster shells or the gravel grit for my 21 adult chickens, but I do feed the 20% protein layer pellets and scratch grains. The scratch contains 5 different grains including cracked corn and millet which I don't put in a feeder but just throw it on the ground in their pen for them to scratch in. I also allow them to free range about 3 hours each day in the evenings after I have gotten most of my eggs for the day. I also pull up weeds around my house, wood pile, trees etc and throw those in the pen as well as aged lettuce and cabbage. Occasionally, I will mix up some of the cheap off brand macaroni and cheese and throw that to them (after I have had my spoonful lol).

I have 14 chicks about 2 months old that should be laying by fall. Since egg production slows down in cold weather, the pullets from these 14 will compliment my flock and keep production levels consistent.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#90320 Jun 18, 2013
Some rain. I'm sure by the end of Summer we will wish it had been much more rain. Going to have to mow tomorrow. Sounds like fun I know.
Have a good day all!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90324 Jun 18, 2013
As Flip Wilson used to say "Here comes the judge"... like we even care. LOL Good Morning haters and decent folks.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90327 Jun 18, 2013
It's nice to have the rain; the grass just grows quickly. I hope, the humidity lets up a bit. No shade trees around here. When I was child we had a forest full of pines surrounding us. When the wind would blow, the fragrance was rejuvenating. Remember that first taste of unripe persimmon, yuck. Lol. Birds happily singing. First day of summer begins Friday. The 4th is right around the corner.
Good day to All the Fine Folks.
Hope all the gardens are doing well. My basil is doing extremely well.
@ Roaming, I know what you mean about the grass. It's been an every week job for me. Hope your Loved Ones are feeling better;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90328 Jun 18, 2013
I got my grass mowed yesterday but finished up the last little bit in the rain. For the birders... I saw some quail this morning out pecking around in the freshly mowed grass.
Anne

United States

#90329 Jun 18, 2013
Here's an update on my vinegar/salt/dawn weed killer vs. Roundup. Vinegar solution worked--but is now greening up and flourishing. Roundup worked--and vegetation is still brown with no new growth.
@AW-- thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind and next time I'm in the farm store I'll get some scratch. A pan with some laying pellets was soaked from the rain yesterday and when I knocked it clean for fresh pellets the hens went berserk trying to make pigs of themselves. Too bad it didn't work.....because I love ham!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90330 Jun 18, 2013
Lexington news said there was several inches of rain in just 5 minutes in Lala's area. I hope all is okay.
brittany

Dawson Springs, KY

#90331 Jun 18, 2013
What the heck?

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90332 Jun 18, 2013
Well, what a long day!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90335 Jun 18, 2013
It seems there is an endless supply of spam and peanuts to be shared. Thanks for the protein. It gives us the energy to keep on posting and adds color to an otherwise drab black and white Topix screen. LOL

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90340 Jun 19, 2013
It's Beautiful out this morning. Enjoy it ya'll!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#90344 Jun 19, 2013
@Roaming... it looks like the peanut share croppers have just about run everyone else off. It will take more than a bunch of peanuts to run me off. I stop in here for entertainment between chores and even their anonymous judge marks won't stop me from being entertained. I think it is funny.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#90345 Jun 19, 2013
Can't ever get enough protein;) Lol. Once the yard dries out- mine yard is like a sponge- I need to get that done.
It's a wonderful day not too hot. I. noticed empty light bulbs as well. I figure that's a good thing because we just don't get it.By that I mean, if we few can be judged empty minded and nuts what does that make the other part of society? Lol. It's not like we're rebels in Syria. Oh, but I think we are Rebels hahaha.
Terrific day to All the Fine Birders.To others, turn that upside down frown upward and smile:):)
dingo

Greenville, KY

#90346 Jun 19, 2013
Yep. Agree

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#90347 Jun 19, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Roaming... it looks like the peanut share croppers have just about run everyone else off. It will take more than a bunch of peanuts to run me off. I stop in here for entertainment between chores and even their anonymous judge marks won't stop me from being entertained. I think it is funny.
Ah no worries. You stick around and I will too.
Hot as a firecracker today!
The GOVERNMENT KNOWs WHY

Sellersburg, IN

#90348 Jun 19, 2013
Google "HARRP,", or "Weather Modification", or Watch one of The videos on YouTube (Search uTubefor*PHILL SCHNEIDER); He Was The"Last Living Proof", of WhaT ":THE GREADA TREATY"(EISENHOWER&RE GAN And JFK"warned Us Regarding "The Military Complex"! Still before Ole PHIL SCHNEIDER was "mudered by Suicide", he did 42-Lectureabout what He Had Seen,Experience,Knew,and had done"> If it sounds Crazy,look up the BILDERBURGHS and The Series of Jesse Ventura about The Underground Military Bases!It is a Time Long Prophecised, that IS coming, and As we walk the Earth, So Does The Ones with Which THE "GREADA TREATY was SIGNED"!Over400+ ex-Astronaughts,Pilots,Militar y,and GHigh ranking are"ASKING to TESTIFY BEFORE CONGRESS to WHAT they *KNOW*...LOOK It Up"THE DISCLOSURE PROJECT"...and don't be a "Sheep Led to Slughter by The Wolves in Sheep's Clothing.The Birds Falling is Just The Start!...I've researched such for thiry years,I am an "Expert on these Topics", Go Look For youself!?WHY do U think every channel has its own "Sci-Fi=AE-Show"?We Are being "CONDITIONED"!peave &dourself a favor&take this AS SERIOUS AS IT GETS!-1ofThe 1%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heard Nick Mandel almost died 2 hr Creek it 2
looking to rent house or trailor 2 hr landlord 2
Need food badly 2 hr Need food badly 42
betty brown 3 hr dude 2
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Historicallyspeaking 131,870
Night life in Barbourville 3 hr Boogy Nights 2
Porsche mills 4 hr worried 23
To the Garland family 4 hr Well.... 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance