Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
76,001 - 76,020 of 81,594 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Noticed a lot of nuts oh well. I guess, that's life. Drinky poo sure sounds nice right now.Too bad the Gentleman Jack is gone. Still got a bottle of gin...Better get too it.
That sun is playing peekaboo at the moment that sulky thing.
You all hang on to your britches and hopefully Kentucky won't get the winds Indiana,Ohio and Illinois have been experiencing.
Too bad there's no almonds around here...Lol.Fine day;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

I will take some corn bread crumbled up in a cold glass of milk. Grew up on that stuff packing it in a one gallon karo syrup bucket to a country school that had no cafeteria. Only problem was that it was not cold. LOL Oh the wonders of electricity.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I will take some corn bread crumbled up in a cold glass of milk. Grew up on that stuff packing it in a one gallon karo syrup bucket to a country school that had no cafeteria. Only problem was that it was not cold. LOL Oh the wonders of electricity.
Do you recommend using buttermilk in the cornmeal batter? I usually just throw in meal, flour,1tb. sugar,salt, oil and two eggs,water. Sometimes I'll substitute honey to give it a sweeter flavor. Thanks AW. I like having milk and cornbread;)
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Do you recommend using buttermilk in the cornmeal batter? I usually just throw in meal, flour,1tb. sugar,salt, oil and two eggs,water. Sometimes I'll substitute honey to give it a sweeter flavor. Thanks AW. I like having milk and cornbread;)
This cornbread and buttermilk thing. For whatever reason it is something that absolutely turns my stomach!! It truly puzzles me on how people swear by it! Lol I love sweet cornbread though!
not alone

Valparaiso, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
This cornbread and buttermilk thing. For whatever reason it is something that absolutely turns my stomach!! It truly puzzles me on how people swear by it! Lol I love sweet cornbread though!
Unbelievable but true, a half a cup of buttermilk in your cake mix makes for a fluffier cake. My Mother told me that one. Oh, yuck I never could drink it though;) Put that up there with pigs' feet and souse. I like squirrel meat though fried in flour.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Do you recommend using buttermilk in the cornmeal batter? I usually just throw in meal, flour,1tb. sugar,salt, oil and two eggs,water. Sometimes I'll substitute honey to give it a sweeter flavor. Thanks AW. I like having milk and cornbread;)
Buttermilk makes the best cornbread. But since I live rather remotely and don't get into town very often and like to conserve my regular milk for cereals and drinking, I keep a stash of Carnation Evaporated milk on hand. I use that in my coffee, making gravy, and add it with a touch of white vinegar to the other cornbread ingredients.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I like to use buttermilk in making cornbread, but not drinking it. I want regular milk with the crumbled cornbread. I don't care for cottage cheese either. If I am going to eat sweet cornbread, I will just have cake LOL
say wha

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

circle R has the best cornbread
it might look like burnt pancakes ,..but it shore am good'em
Cornbread

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

In the USA, for the past 200 years, there have been two main varieties of cornbread: Yankee and Southern. There are a lot of variations of each. The biggest difference is that Yankee cornbread is a lot sweeter, and has no buttermilk. Both of them tend to be very good, because making cornbread is a skill developed from generations of experiments with variations of the ingredients, till both varieties reached perfection. Every major family has a cornbread recipe somewhere, passed down through the generations. Some of those recipes are treated like heirlooms, and kept locked up with other ancient family treasures.
Flow

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Buttermilk makes the best cornbread. But since I live rather remotely and don't get into town very often and like to conserve my regular milk for cereals and drinking, I keep a stash of Carnation Evaporated milk on hand. I use that in my coffee, making gravy, and add it with a touch of white vinegar to the other cornbread ingredients.
Grandad used carnation for his gravy.Hehe, he made it better than anybody I ever knew. Boy, what I wouldn't do for some fried apples, buttermilk biscuits and that gravy. Yummy...You and dog take care and have a pleasant night.
ploki

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Hyde
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Pioneers had minimal cooking tools and cornbread cooked over hot coals on the end of a garden hoe came to be known as "hoe cakes". When I was a child fried cornbread was called "fritters". The only thing we called cornbread was baked in an iron skillet lined with grease and salt to keep it from sticking to the skillet.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

i could go for a couple good tater cakes
name goes here

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

say wha wrote:
circle R has the best cornbread
it might look like burnt pancakes ,..but it shore am good'em
Columbia? Good food at Circle R!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
i could go for a couple good tater cakes
Norwegians and other Scandinavian peoples make a potato bread known as "lefse". It is very popular in Minnesota and the Dakotas. Recipes are available online.

They also make something that I can't recall the name, but it is essentially made from ground up potatoes and salt pork and packed into a white cloth bag such as sausage. It is then sliced like sausage and fried and generally served with eggs for breakfast.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

They also make something called "lutefisk" which I have never brought myself to try. The name translates to "lye fish". Fish is soaked in cold water for 4 or 5 days, then soaked a couple more days in a mixture of lye and cold water. No Thanks lol

But I am pretty sure this is the same process used to make hominy from hardened field corn and which can later have the hominy ground up to make grits.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

All of this food talk! I am so hungry! Lol
Homemade hominy is something I'd love to try and potato cakes--- love 'em! Years ago when we lived in Minnesota we tried some sort of fish that had been soaked several days in some sort of brine. I've wondered if it was lutefisk. Btw, it was really good!
Speaking of keeping canned milk on hand, my mom always used Milnot for gravey. Come to think of it I haven't seen Milnot in years! Now that I'm curious guess I'll have to look on the grocery shelf next time I'm shopping.
AW. You say where you live is pretty isolated. Love it! We live 3 miles to the closest country highway and 5 miles from another more traveled highway. Until recently we were at the end of the county water line and we are the last stop on this section of electric line.
Anyway, Good Morning to each and every one of you! Hope your day is absolutely beautiful!!!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Whoops. "Bird Report" for this bird thread. Lol
Wednesday evening when I counted my little chicks....only 3 of them so they are easy to count...one was missing! Due to the fact two cars in the driveway had blood smears and bloody scratches on the windows by the side mirrors we sadly assumed our adventurous chick (about 3 months old) had met his untimely fate by some sort of crazy assault. Well! Last night when I shut up the 5 hens and 2 chicks I heard another "voice" , and there was little chick outside the pen asking to be let in. The feathers were somewhat disheveled but little chick was definitely hungry and thirsty. Exactly what is going on around here????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min welcome 1,073
Tommy golden 36 min one who knows 29
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr wtf 151,029
Travis slushpup 4 hr Beenthere 1
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 4 hr yourmommm 1,048
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 hr Khatru 130,451
Mayor West Sunday Campaining Respect the Sabbath 7 hr yep 15
•••
•••
•••