Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89532 May 20, 2013
Moon blast equal to 5 tons of TNT

CNN Weekend Shows|Added on May 19, 2013

NASA reports a boulder sized meteoroid slammed into the surface of the moon igniting a bright lunar explosion.

http://www.cnn.com/video/...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89533 May 20, 2013
Made me think of Hempburn and Una posts:

200-Pound Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs Tree
Firefighters in Colorado are more used to pulling frightened cats down from high trees had a change of pace Sunday when a 200-pound bear was found in a tree high above Colorado Springs.

The female black bear made its way into the tree Sunday morning but was not discovered by local residents until around 3 p.m., according to wildlife officials.

The bear's ascent brought out both Colorado Springs' firefighters and officers from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department. Their first attempt to subdue the bear with a tranquilizer proved unsuccessful, pushing the bear to climb even higher up the tree, according to local ABC affiliate KMGH.

Officers fired a second tranquilizer shot and then watched, joined by a crowd of bewildered residents , and waited until they were sure the bear was fully sedated.

Around 8 p.m., nearly five hours after the bear was first spotted, it was removed from the tree.

WATCH: Why Are Bears Popping Up Everywhere?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/200-poun...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89534 May 20, 2013
15 funny kids who will make you feel great about your motor skills

Life can be tricky for kids. There's a whole lot to learn: how to eat food, drink water and walk around without crashing into things — and that's before you even get to the fancy stuff like blowing bubbles or spinning a hula hoop. All of these kids get a solid A for effort, but their execution still needs some work. Keep working at it, guys — practice makes perfect. In the meantime, we'll just sit here feeling grown-up and smug, because we know how to kick a ball. Kind of.

http://now.msn.com/funny-kid-fails-a-gallery-...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89535 May 20, 2013
FOR THE BIRDS:

Supremely rare crane egg probably has more security than your house

Here's hoping this doesn't start a helicopter-parenting trend. Conservationists in the U.K. have scrambled to offer round-the-clock protection (a 24-hour security guard and a ring of video cameras) to an egg — the first common crane egg laid in western Britain in more than 400 years. The egg was laid by nesting pair cranes reared in captivity and reintroduced into the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust's Slimbridge Wetland Centre as part of the Great Crane Project, which has sought to revive a once-common species that is now all but extinct. "There is a long way to go before cranes become widespread again," said Nigel Jarrett, the center's head of conservation breeding, "but it is absolutely momentous to see this egg laid at Slimbridge."

http://now.msn.com/rare-crane-egg-gets-24-hou...
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#89536 May 20, 2013
It's two in the morning. Just heard that 24 babies possibly drowned after the pipes broke when the school's roof fell. 91 bodies ,adults and children,so far. Am having a restless night. The pictures are horrific:(
@ AB, your posts are delightful and informative.You have a goodnight;)
Blueminer

United States

#89537 May 20, 2013
Very interesting! Dropped in to read a bit and there is a story posted about the meteorite hitting the moon. Coincidentally, around 11:30 tonight I was standing outside and saw a shooting star fall, seemingly right by the moon. If you were to hold a ruler at arms length it would have measured about four inches from the moon from my vantage point. Very green in color, no tail, and had kind of a tracer effect.

Looking forward to checking out the videos tommorrow Abeliever.
Blueminer

United States

#89538 May 20, 2013
I'm convinced this past winter solstace indeed marked changes. If not there seem to have been a whole lot of coincidences since then, not all bad.

Though I don't do all the reading and research like I used, I'm aware old Sol has been putting on quite a show. I'm wondering is there anything remarkable to the current 11 year peak compared to past ones.

Global warming on hold, cooling trends. Many years complaints of too hot are this years complaints of too cold. Killer tornado season arriving later than most every year since records have been kept.(I believe the last point is accurate) And probably so much I'm not aware of.
Blueminer

United States

#89539 May 20, 2013
And what about all the earthquakes?! Just from reading Abelievers posts I gather there are severl swarms. Are they more than would be considered normal? More moderate to intense than normal?
Blueminer

United States

#89540 May 21, 2013
Other than that Hello to Everyone and Good Night.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#89541 May 21, 2013
wow
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#89542 May 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't take the humidity and I breathe better with the AC on. Unless the temp is down and a rain. I like it cool.
Besides you know we get all that chemspraying here. lol
No seriously they do. Tonight even on the way home I seen them criss crossing the sky by the moonlight and it isn't even full. Guess we will get some rain again. Just hope nothing else. They were showing hail in this area last night. Marble size people were posting. Glad it missed me.
I had marble sized hail Sunday night about 6 pm. My house is shaded by big trees and I keep the windows open and have 2 overhead ceiling fans suspended down from the apex wood ceiling that I installed (I removed the low ceilings and did away with the attic). I keep a small fan on a night stand by my bed and can hear the night sounds including one noisy rooster. LOL I am glad they don't chemspray here, never seen it except for videos. Country life is great!! I am Blessed.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#89543 May 21, 2013
Great morning, but here comes the rain! Hopefully nothing severe. You all have a good, wet day! lol
Wow

Evansville, IN

#89544 May 21, 2013
wow wrote:
Well if you go by the bible then it would mean the 7th seal has been broken and the end of times are near.If you by science there is a reasonable explaination for the birds dying.Myself I think there is something going on here that will end up being explained.I think it is strange how ever that dead birds in 3 states and dead fish being found on the shores.The crazy weather pattern,volcanic activity,earthquakes,tornados in the middle of winter.Makes you think.
THE BIBLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. idiots! Take responsibility, and understand we don't take care of our environment. This has nothing to do with God or the bible.
drive up

AOL

#89546 May 21, 2013
back in 1970s ,.........

the knee jerk liberal idiots blamed tornados and bad weather on ' global COOLING '
and worried about the on coming ice age ,..
they and blamed it all on pollution ,
acid rain ,...
and the so called ' hole ' in the ozone lawyer ,..

some things never change ,..

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#89548 May 21, 2013
drive up wrote:
back in 1970s ,.........
the knee jerk liberal idiots blamed tornados and bad weather on ' global COOLING '
and worried about the on coming ice age ,..
they and blamed it all on pollution ,
acid rain ,...
and the so called ' hole ' in the ozone lawyer ,..
some things never change ,..
FYI;
Air Quality at a Glance
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines air pollution as "The presence of contaminants or pollutant substances in the air that interfere with our health or welfare, or produce other harmful environmental effects."
Sources of Air Pollution
Most air pollution comes from everyday activities. Think about your average day. You get up, take a shower, use hair spray or gel, take the bus or drive to school or work, eat a charbroiled hamburger (lighter fluid), drive home, do chores (mow the lawn, paint your house, clean your windows), drive to soccer practice, etc. About 90% of air pollution is generated from these everyday activities. Less than 10% is created from industry. Cars and trucks are the number one source of air pollution in Oregon.
Oregon's Air Quality
Currently, all Oregonians live in areas that meet federal air quality standards. The Air Quality Index (AQI) is a scale used to report actual levels of ozone and other common pollutants in the air. The higher the AQI, the higher the health concern. The AQI is divided into categories that correspond to different levels of health concern.
Oregon's Air Quality History
It's important to remember Oregon's air hasn't always been this clean. In the early 1970's when monitoring of air first started, Oregon had serious air pollution problems. The Portland region sometimes violated the national air quality standard for ozone (smog) by as much as 50 percent! In 1981, one out of three days exceeded Carbon Monoxide (CO) violations in Portland. Now, due to new pollution control technology on vehicles and industries and the development of other pollution prevention programs, Oregon hasn't had a CO violation in years.
In the 1970’s a number of strategies were put into place to clean up the air. They focused on cars and trucks. This included new federal emission standards for vehicles, the launch of the vehicle inspection program in Portland and transit improvements. Other efforts included reformulating gas to make it less polluting and placing additional regulations on industry.
Should we be concerned about air quality? Yes.
As Oregon’s population continues to grow, so do the activities that contribute to air pollution. Not only are more vehicles on the road, but there are more people painting, using toxic household products, mowing their lawns and burning woodstoves. Also, more individuals are driving larger, less fuel-efficient vehicles. This results in emissions from these sources accumulate in our air, requiring a greater effort from everyone to keep the air clean and protect our health.
How DEQ Measures Air Pollution
Monitors or samplers are located in areas of the state with a history of, or the potential for, specific air pollution problems. To check current sampling sites in Oregon check our Air Quality Index.
Common air pollutants the Environmental Protection Agency regulates include: Ozone, Lead, Particulate Matter, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrous Oxide, Sulfur Dioxide and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s). DEQ’s Air Quality Annual Report contains additional information on air quality monitoring and pollutant concentrations in Oregon.

Scotts Vegas

#89549 May 21, 2013
The Above is a Good example of changes that were made to reverse "manmade" effects on our environment. Also reflects "manmade" effects alongside what mother nature is doing. Acid rain was quite an issue in some areas-real deal! Still is in some places. Are we to assume all manmade effects on our environment are confined to our cities only???
The hole in the ozone layer is ever changing. But of course someone can debunk it has anything to do with human activity. Of course someone can debunk it has anything to do with environment changes. However no one will convince those of us that KNOW the contrary.

Scotts Vegas

#89550 May 21, 2013
Have you ever been to Salt Lake City on a bad air pollution day? Denver? Any one of several east coast cities? Cali cities? Chitown? Or one of many others? Again do folks assume the manmade effects of pollution are confined to our cities only?

Soooner or later the smog has to diffuse and go somewhere...right? Much hits the ground as fallout. It's in the soil, the food we eat, Out bodies!

Q:What is a body burden?

A: Toxic chemicals, both naturally occurring and man-made, often get into the human body. We may inhale them, swallow them in contaminated food or water, or in some cases, absorb them through skin. A woman who is pregnant may pass them to her developing fetus through the placenta. The term " body burden " refers to the total amount of these chemicals that are present in the human body at a given point in time. Sometimes it is also useful to consider the body burden of a specific, single chemical, like, for example, lead, mercury, or dioxin.

Some chemicals or their breakdown products (metabolites) lodge in our bodies for only a short while before being excreted, but continuous exposure to such chemicals can create a "persistent" body burden. Arsenic, for example, is mostly excreted within 72 hours of exposure. Other chemicals, however, are not readily excreted and can remain for years in our blood, adipose (fat) tissue, semen, muscle, bone, brain tissue, or other organs. Chlorinated pesticides, such as DDT, can remain in the body for 50 years. Whether chemicals are quickly passing through or are stored in our bodies, body burden testing can reveal to us an individual's unique chemical load and can highlight the kinds of chemicals we are exposed to as we live out each day of our lives. Of the approximately 80,000 chemicals that are used in the United States, we do not know how many can become a part of our chemical body burden, but we do know that several hundred of these chemicals have been measured in people's bodies around the world.

Scotts Vegas

#89551 May 21, 2013
Q:Do all humans carry this chemical body burden?

A: Scientists estimate that everyone alive today carries within her or his body at least 700 contaminants, most of which have not been well studied (Onstot and others). This is true whether we live in a rural or isolated area, in the middle of a large city, or near an industrialized area. Because many chemicals have the ability to attach to dust particles and/or catch air and water currents and travel far from where they are produced or used, the globe is bathed in a chemical soup. Our bodies have no alternative but to absorb these chemicals and sometimes store them for long periods of time. Whether we live in Samoa or San Diego, Juneau, or Johannesburg, all our bodies are receptacles for a multitude of industrial chemicals. Wherever we live, we all live in a chemically contaminated neighborhood.

*Onstot J, Ayling R, Stanley J. Characterization of HRGC/MS Unidentified Peaks from the Analysis of Human Adipose Tissue. Volume 1: Technical Approach. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Toxic Substances (560/6-87-002a), 1987.

Some of the chemicals residing in our bodies are pesticides, and some are used in or produced by other forms of industrial production. Many are found in a wide variety of consumer products. Some chemicals like dioxins and furans are created unintentionally by industrial processes using chlorine and from the manufacture and incineration of certain plastics. Scientists estimate that there are many other unintentionally created by-products which have not yet been "discovered" since no tests have yet been developed that would fully identify or describe these by-products.

Scotts Vegas

#89552 May 21, 2013
Up to 4,230 premature deaths can be prevented in the Los Angeles metropolitan area every year if the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) strengthens the health standards for fine particulate matter—also known as soot—according to a new report, Sick of Soot: How the EPA Can Save Lives by Cleaning Up Fine Particle Pollution, prepared by the American Lung Association, Clean Air Task Force and Earthjustice.

The Los Angeles metropolitan area tops the list of cities that will benefit from a stronger soot standard (see below for full top 10 list). The Los Angeles metropolitan area consistently ranks among the most polluted cities in the nation for both year-round and short-term particle levels. Los Angeles tied for second and came in fourth in those categories, respectively, in the American Lung Association's 2011 State of the Air report.

Soot, technically known as PM2.5 (fine particulate matter with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers or less), is generated by diesel and other vehicles, agricultural burning, wood stoves and industrial combustion. Though the pollution particles in soot are tiny—1/30th the width of a human hair—they can have a huge impact on human health. Research links them to premature death, heart attacks, stroke, worsened asthma and possibly cancer and developmental and reproductive harm.

The Clean Air Act requires that the EPA set national air quality standards for soot at levels that protect public health with a margin of safety. To adequately protect children, seniors and people with lung disease, heart disease, and diabetes from these dangers, Sick of Soot shows that the EPA should tighten the current standard to an annual level of 11 &#956;g/m3 and a daily level of 25 &#956;g/m3.

In the Los Angeles metropolitan area, these recommended standards could prevent up to 4,230 premature deaths each year. Nationally, these tighter standards could spare Americans every year from as many as:

· 35,700 premature deaths;

· 2,350 heart attacks;

· 23,290 visits to the hospital and emergency room;

· 29,800 cases of acute bronchitis;

· 1.4 million cases of aggravated asthma; and

· 2.7 million days of missed work or school due to air pollution-caused ailments

Scotts Vegas

#89553 May 21, 2013
If interested you could do your own research to come up with toxic chemicals found in the bodies of wildlife.

The main point to all this is the same poisons that affect us are affecting our environment. To include weather patterns, earth cycles, environment changes. You do not have to believe it, but those that deny it make some of us damn argumentive.

Lets not forget how we williing poison ourselves with various recreational chemicals, processed foods, lethargy(not exercising and metabloizing some of this stuff out of our bodies) and all the pharaceuticals we live on and with to counter the effects of the ways we have treated ourselves.

Remember much illness, if not most, is the result of how one has taken care of him or herself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 39 min dollarsbill 131,871
Need food badly 2 hr Nope 43
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 2 hr astronomyy 6
truck payments 2 hr gator for office 14
Heard Nick Mandel almost died 5 hr Creek it 2
looking to rent house or trailor 5 hr landlord 2
betty brown 6 hr dude 2
Porsche mills 7 hr worried 23
To the Garland family 8 hr Well.... 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web