Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,768)

Showing posts 75,341 - 75,360 of81,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

If you guys want to swim you should come on down to the shack this summer and I'll take you to a swimming hole in a nearby stream under a 25 foot waterfall. Cold and clear, too cold for anything other than the hottest days. Absolutely no one lives up the stream so its relatively unpolluted by man.
I sure would like to take you especially- to that old crawdad hole- miss Abeliever. Man oh man, I'm about hot enough to go up there and wade around right now.
Yep, its officially high spring time.
The Sentinel

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
only two more weeks till the pool opens up! yay!
think i will set up on the porch and get my tan going..... maybe if i start now i wont turn into a lobster this year.
ahhh cant wait to go swimming......
anyone got some tried and true ideas for getting a pepper burn to calm down. i stopped off at an iga yesterday on my way home from work and they had jalapenos and serranos on sale for 99 cents a pound (which admittedly is not the greatest deal but it beats the 1.76 a pound i have been seeing all winter and my home grown peppers are far off from producing and we go thru peppers around here like some use tp)
any way.... i picked up a pound each which is like forty peppers all together and i chopped and froze them. normally i would where some gloves but for some reason i just didn't think about it till about twenty jalapenos in and started to feel the beginnings of a good burn coming. i put on gloves for the serranos but by then the damage was done.lol
so i did some googling and found a few remedies and this is what i tried so far..... milk, lime juice, dawn, antibacterial soap, aloe, coffee grounds, and Epsom salt (that last one had the opposite effect btw) still burning strong this morning. the aloe does offer some relief its just short lived..... i gave up and just taped a piece to my pepper cutting thumb so i could sleep last night..... but even the warm coming off the laptop is getting it throbbing again.
sigh..... it can be said that i am a little bit of a wimp and have zero threshold for pain but anyone (even the trolls) with a tried and true cure.....any one!
WD-40 ?
The Sentinel

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

and this is why I hate dial-up...ya think it hasn't gone through and click again, nothing so you do it again, and again.....lol...should wait for that 4 minute lag....reck'on the kids are right and i'm a goober..or is a gomer....lol...oh well off to enjoy the sunshine.
Anonymous

West Liberty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Too weird!!!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You can have the FIRE. I am too old to burn. I prefer the mellow, soft, and cuddly (especially on a cold winter night with some cheese, wine, a bear skin rug and some soft music). LOL
Good one AW, you are as young as you feel. I am not at your stage yet. I am an early retiree, remember? lol Although, I am slowing down you know.

Winter is good for that, but Summer is for fun and LIVING while we can. I still skinny dip, party, dance, go out and now go back to work. Go figure. haha Too much time and energy for slowing down now.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

The Sentinel wrote:
<quoted text>
WD-40 ?
After that big list I posted a couple days ago I almost said the same thing. haha Maybe just fish oil, it's main ingredient.

It seemed to do everything.:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

FOR THE BIRDS:

Eagle family update:

Raptor Resource Project
~ Videos of The Decorah Eagles from May 12th ~

Many thanks to Jim for making the videos and the screen captures possible!

http://youtu.be/gb-a_tacrrs
5-12 (Early morning activities, air traffic controller needed) 6:00am CT – The eaglets are nest-napping and we see their head movements follow Mom as she lands in the nest for her early morning activities. Mom nest digs for buried treasures and the eaglets barely notice. The scene changes a couple more times; Mom flies off and then returns for more nest digging. Repeat! She’s off, and then she’s back again, but this time with a fish. D16 is first in line to eat. The scene changes and D15 is on the right doing flight training maneuvers again, and then D17 does the same. Next we see all the eaglets leaning to the left in sync as they follow Dad’s flight in as he arrives with a fish. D15 goes for the fish, drags it, but then lets Dad take charge and Dad passes out some bites. The scene changes again and Mom is on the nest. At 5:24 into the video you can notice that D15 on the left, and D16 on the right, are almost as tall as Mom is, when sitting up. Did the nest just shrink? Mom flies off and D16 and D15 are busy wingercizing and watching the neighboring birds that keep doing fly-bys. Incoming! Dad lands with a fresh fish and it takes him a bit to get a good talon-hold on the wiggly fish before he passes out some bites. The feeding is done and Dad takes back off. The scene changes and we see that Dad is back on the nest nibbling on a meal. Dad sees Mom about to arrive, but just as Dad begins his ascent into the air to take off with his meal so Mom won’t steal, we see an almost mid-air collision as Mom was making her descent at almost the same instance. Air traffic controller needed! Mom works on branch placement and the eaglets are nest-napping. Incoming! Dad has second thoughts and brings back his meal (or another one) and lets Mom have it. The scene changes, Dad flies off, and then Mom flies off while the eaglets remain in food coma position and condition.

Continued:
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Continued:

http://youtu.be/4W9LKSpJc-Y
5-12 (Busy, busy, busy) 9:00am CT – The eaglets are nest-napping and Mom lands with a fish, the eaglets pay no attention to it. The scene changes, Mom flies off. It changes again and the eaglets are still lying low, then Dad is on the nest doing nestorations and then Dad flies off. Mom arrives with a large rail branch and works on placement. Scene change again and Mom arrives with another branch, and this one has leaves.(Side note: Mom or Dad, there’s a nice smaller branch on the tree right in front of the nest to the right, and we will not mind at all if you decide to use that branch just to guarantee we can still see when the leaves grow out more, and thanks in advance). Mom is busy, busy, busy working on the nest, takes a break and looks around, and then she flies off. The scene changes and it’s wingercize time, the eaglets are up and active. At 3:48 into the video D17 stands up, raises its chest and gives D16 who is hidden behind D15, a piece of its mind followed by a beak peck. That issue resolves quickly and the eaglets are all nest perched. The wind picks up, the wings start flapping, and its wingercize time again for the eaglets.

http://youtu.be/AANGhhM8fmo
5-12 (Newton’s Third Law demonstrated, flapping and hopping) 2:00pm CT – This video covers Newton’s Third Law, as explained on this link, and often demonstrated by the Decorah Eaglets: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaw... or watch this short video: http://youtu.be/vzio-8sI-t8 .
It’s wingercize and hopping time, let the fun really begin! There is one food delivery in this video, but the physics and science are more important for now, it’s about all things in motion. D15 stands up, does a tail feather wiggle and walks backwards for a “PS.” The “PS” like a rocket is what applies to Newton’s Third Law in how it propels the eaglets forward. It’s preening time, wings are working in motion, and then we see more preening. There’s a brief intermission with nest-resting and the eaglets are back to science, gravity, motion and physics. At 5:28 into the video D16 begins to head-nod in disagreement and pecks at D15 who is lying down. Pause! Now we see D15 peck back at D16 and we have beaks-in-motion. It’s a scene change and D16 hops to the middle of the nest. D17 on the right backs up a little bit to get out of the way. We have another D16 hop and D17 starts wingercizing. At 7:31 into the video D16 really gets those wings in fast motion while hopping at the same time. D15 stands up after several wing whacks from D16 and now we see D15 is flapping too. There are more scene changes but we see that all three eaglets are winging it for good grades in physics and science class, with some pecking in between, of course.

http://youtu.be/Y3kjFsDYcLc
5-12 (Fish for dinner) 6:00pm CT – The eaglets are lying low and Mom lands on the nest with more nesting materials. The eaglets are so tired from all the exercising earlier that they are barely moving as Mom nest digs and spreads the new material. All is quiet and Mom flies off. Incoming! Dad brings a fish. The eaglets begin to form the chow line and Dad is passing out bites when Mom lands. By now Dad knows all the signals from Mom, so he files off. Mom resumes the feeding and the eaglets are hungry. From left to right it’s D17, D16, and D15. D15 moves up closer to be fed. The scene changes, the fish is gone and Mom flies off.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Hey bird thread friends, sorry I missed you. Worked outside all morning, had lunch with my sister, email is checked, fb is checked, topix is checked, and now I have to get ready for work. I will check back later tonight when I get home. I will leave you with these cute Godvine videos. lala, betty, and AW will like them.

Family's Heartwarming Friendship with a Duck is Unbelievable

McIntosh the Muscovy duck was rescued by a family when he was only hours old. Ever since that moment, he has been their closest companion. He plays with them, goes on car rides and is always by their side. This friendship is absolutely unbelievable.

http://www.godvine.com/Family-s-Heartwarming-...

Una would have liked that one too!!!:)

Cat Loves Playing With the Silliest Thing

One day, this cat's owners discovered that he LOVES to play with the silliest thing - the vacuum cleaner! This little kitty is so strange, but he can't get enough of the vacuum! Don't worry, though, he is completely safe.:)

http://www.godvine.com/Cat-Loves-Playing-With...

You can waste your money on cat toys and they play with everything but...straws, bags, shoestrings...hahaha

Special Dog Loves to Play on the Swing

Dogs are part of the family, so you should treat them like it! Sara the dog loves to swing, so her mommy and daddy lets her play on the swings with her little sister. This is just too adorable.:)

http://www.godvine.com/Special-Dog-Loves-to-P...

AW, does dog have a swing? lol That was too cute.

I hope you all enjoyed the beautiful day. I did. It is gorgeous out.

Have yourself a wonderful evening. Ponyboy, not so much. haha
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like the scottsville tiny pony troll dropped in. Guess it must be real boring now without Una so he has to stick his two cent slurs here. Sorry ass.
I can't wait either to get in the pool. The water looks pretty good and it has been nice to sit around with the tiki lights on, star filled night and have lots of laughs with my BFs.
Did you stock up on that 5 for $20 meat deal at IGA? I love that. I know when the butcher is on and stocking so I go get about $40 worth searching through and grabbing the packages that are $5-$6. It is always great cuts and fresh. They trim real good too. I love that store.
Hope your burn is better.
i used to hit up the iga in vine grove all the time when we lived in the radcliff area because they had the best meat deals 5 for 20, the one i stopped at Monday had the big bags of frozen chicken breast and i did get five bags of those...(i figure at 3 lbs a piece it equals around a dollar thirty or so a pound and thats not bad for boneless/skinless at all but the meat cuts like the roast and steaks were not all that great so i passed.)
i have been going to priceless for my meats.... most of the time they have some bacon on sale for a 1.72 per pack (12oz) i don't care for the usual brand they have fr that price but occasionally they will have others for that like the Williams, Jim morel, and farmland and those are not bad at all. they always have a good deal on ground beef and pork roast. if you haven't made it down to priceless since they opened i can tell you its worth the trip! i found strawberry's for 1.37 a pound there in the dead of winter.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

the attorneys for the devil himself Ariel Castro released a statement of innocence on his behalf today saying he loves his daughter and misses her..... yeh...ok ...feel sorry for that public defender. makes me sick.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Woah it's a warm one today. Thankful for the breeze. I have been out with the birds. They are a lot less mad now that they have food.
Hope you all have a good rest of your day!!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one AW, you are as young as you feel. I am not at your stage yet. I am an early retiree, remember? lol Although, I am slowing down you know.
Winter is good for that, but Summer is for fun and LIVING while we can. I still skinny dip, party, dance, go out and now go back to work. Go figure. haha Too much time and energy for slowing down now.
You go Gal;) Imposter mentioned a waterfall over where he lives: I thought, skinny dip heaven. Hehehe. Minus him of course. Woman sure have her hands full with that goat....
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> You go Gal;) Imposter mentioned a waterfall over where he lives: I thought, skinny dip heaven. Hehehe. Minus him of course. Woman sure have her hands full with that goat....
Bwaaahahahaha You got that right baby I might be getting along in the years but I would absolutely turn her every which way but loose.
Right turn Clyde.
Mercy, mercy miss Percy, I'd love to be behind the bushes when she took that midnight dip.
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

How am I supposed to pitch woo when they keep deleting my best love notes?
They weren't that bad now!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Just watching some Tv. The birds are happy.
Hope you all had as good a day as I did.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't work a regular job anymore, but still plenty active in both summer and winter with chickens and helping others. I will never be a person that just sits and does nothing. That will wear a person down quicker than anything. I don't party and dance as much as I once did, but I find many other ways to have fun. LOL
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Imposter wrote:
If you guys want to swim you should come on down to the shack this summer and I'll take you to a swimming hole in a nearby stream under a 25 foot waterfall. Cold and clear, too cold for anything other than the hottest days. Absolutely no one lives up the stream so its relatively unpolluted by man.
I sure would like to take you especially- to that old crawdad hole- miss Abeliever. Man oh man, I'm about hot enough to go up there and wade around right now.
Yep, its officially high spring time.
Those are the best swimming holes. We use to go to Otter Creek Park that has half of Fort Knox surrounding it and take a trail to the most beautiful waterfall and cold, cold, water in the swimming hole below it. You talk about the girls standing up and the guys shrinking down. hahaha It was some of the best summers we had until they started throwing up "No Tresspassing" signs. Don't want to mess with that.

BTW, I can catch crawdads with the best of them. Use to fill up 5 gallon buckets full in a creek nearby. You almost have to have that many to get any taste of them since there isn't much meat on them unless they are the king daddies. haha But what a mess and if you cook them inside it smells up the whole house. Now they are cooked outside only. I can also outfish most men. lol
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
<quoted text>
i used to hit up the iga in vine grove all the time when we lived in the radcliff area because they had the best meat deals 5 for 20, the one i stopped at Monday had the big bags of frozen chicken breast and i did get five bags of those...(i figure at 3 lbs a piece it equals around a dollar thirty or so a pound and thats not bad for boneless/skinless at all but the meat cuts like the roast and steaks were not all that great so i passed.)
i have been going to priceless for my meats.... most of the time they have some bacon on sale for a 1.72 per pack (12oz) i don't care for the usual brand they have fr that price but occasionally they will have others for that like the Williams, Jim morel, and farmland and those are not bad at all. they always have a good deal on ground beef and pork roast. if you haven't made it down to priceless since they opened i can tell you its worth the trip! i found strawberry's for 1.37 a pound there in the dead of winter.
You are right, they have the best meat outside the commissary. Their bananas are 39 cents lb every Wednesday. They are renevating and changing on the 31st to Cash Saver Cost Plus Food Outlet (I know, what a mouthful). It's been Houchens, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, and now that. They are closing 28-30 for transition. I loved Houchens and then the Pig (as we called it), IGA was good. If they drop that meat deal then I will go back to the commissary or Walmart.

My sister told me about that store, but I hate to drive to Etown these days since they have about every road f'd up going every which way off Ring Road and any road leading to it. I try to avoid it. My sister is on the northern side of the mall out in what is left of the country around there so that is as far as I usually go unless we are eating at O'Charley's. Etown is a mess and that mall is a pain in the but to get through all those lights with the idiots that drive 31W.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> You go Gal;) Imposter mentioned a waterfall over where he lives: I thought, skinny dip heaven. Hehehe. Minus him of course. Woman sure have her hands full with that goat....
:) You are right about skinny dip heaven, especially on those 90-100 degree days. The water is so cold and clear.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 75,341 - 75,360 of81,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

74 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min Mike Duquette 127,836
Richard and Sarah hicks 8 min O snap 6
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 16 min DemocRATS 144,636
Melissa Collett (May '12) 21 min Dominique 48
Silver coins and yard sales 40 min Silver seeker 21
Do people still cruise the strip on weekends? 1 hr Kaylan 11
weed eating 2 hr gator hunter 16
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 2 hr billy 370
KC Basketball Coach 6 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters