Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
75,241 - 75,260 of 81,594 Comments Last updated Wednesday
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#89301 May 11, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Politics and awareness of world events that affect us are two different things. Be sure that you don't lump them together. Education and social awareness are vital to our survival. IMO, there are no real politics. Both sides are playing the same game, but from different angles,that's all.
big yupp......
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#89302 May 11, 2013
good afternoon everyone.

been a chilly morning around here. we set up a yard sale today at an old vacant lot a few minutes from the house. the rain didn't completely move out of our area till nine or so this morning so we ended up setting up a little later in terms of the normal early bird yard sales and we were all done by two but we still did pretty good. in that short time we made 73 dollars. yay!(and got rid of some things i was tired of looking at)

great success but i am pooped.... pillow calling out to me.

hope everyone has a good evening and i will stop in a little later if i manage to wake back up before its time to go to sleep.lol
hurtz dounut

Wheaton, IL

#89303 May 11, 2013
yes ,...awareness goes beyond politics ,..

but today ,..political correctness has dumbed down most Americans,... to the point our survival is literally at stake ,...
politics is the cause behind it ,..
today people are encouraged or even allowed to ' think' any more,...
i dont think some body can persuade somebody else with an argument or rhetoric ,...
i am afraid that people today are incapable of original thought ,....kids today are not taught to think critically
'thinking ' is some thing no longer valued in American society ,...,..

so again ,..
i say leave the politics out of this ' room ',...as it dominates all the other forums ,..they are full of nothing but partisan senseless name calling and childish ravings that nobody takes seriously
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89304 May 11, 2013
Hello bird threaders, hope everyone is doing great. Rained early, sun popped out and it has been a pleasant day in my neck of the woods.

betty, it was a perfect day to have a yard sale. Been cracking up over your posts. Very enjoyable.

I have to agree with the poster on the political crap. Want to talk politics there are thousands of sites on topix to do so. That is why I like this thread. Anything and everything but politics please.

belie, you are right about the fish oil like AW is right about the Castor oil etc.. lol

Guess I will go back and few pages and see what I missed.

Am I back in Kentucky yet? lol
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89305 May 11, 2013
Guess not. Maybe I will just disconnect the modem etc...and reboot. At least I might show up somewhere in Kentucky. hahaha

Belie, you and JPF/OJG were discussing the bees at one time and it seems there has been alot of talk about them lately.

Honeybees are vanishing so fast we might soon have nothing to eat

Almost one-third of all commercial honeybee colonies in America didn't make it through the past winter, a group of experts announced Wednesday. If your response to that is, "Whatever, no biggie, I don't like those pesky insects," you're missing the point. The unexplained and increasingly steep decline in the honeybee population is now seriously threatening the food supply chain. "We're getting closer and closer to the point where we donít have enough bees in this country to meet pollination demands," University of Maryland entomologist Dennis vanEngelsdorp said. "One in every three bites [of food consumed in the U.S.] is directly or indirectly pollinated by bees." Meaning, if the bee deaths continue at this rate, it could seriously sting.

http://now.msn.com/bee-deaths-increase-and-th...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89306 May 11, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see you back. How's the job going. Thought you were retiring from your after retirement job. LOL Always busy, heh?
Hey lala, I did and was glad to once again get away from the ratrace of the post. Then got too bored with everyone else working and got something with less hours and closer to home for something to do and feel useful. Plus, extra money, which most goes to help my son out. He is working part time, going to school part time and trying to figure out how to pay for everything with little money. He even works his days off with a painting company his Dad worked for. Still struggles to pay bills, truck payment/insurance etc...so I do like my Mom. Slip him some extra to ease the burden. Don't know what I would have done with her at times. Now of course, I have to learn. Still hurts immensely as our second Mother's Day without her is upon us. I will be just like her til I take my last breath. She worried about us all her life and then her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Even when she had no cause too. It was her nature. Sure miss her.

I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.

I wondered if you and AW took notice of WD40's Arthur remedy, lol:

36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

Hey I would try anything. Next time my knee acts up I am spraying. haha You never know. Has to be better than the anti-flamatory meds that eats your stomach lining.

Wow, what haters betty and I have. I bet I know who it is too. They are eat up, aren't they. hahaha Too funny.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89307 May 11, 2013
Great spam recipes. Maybe disguised with other ingredients and hot sauce I could eat it. Especially if noone told me it was SPAM. haha

Recipes found on FB to try:

SLICED BAKED POTATOES!!! YES!!!!!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Can also do in Microwave for 6 plus minutes)
Brush both side of potato slices with butter; place them on a cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated 400 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides, turning once.

When potatoes are ready, top with bacon, cheese, green onion; continue baking until the cheese has melted;

Add a dollop of sour cream when done and enjoy!!

and this yummy one for cube steak:

Try this awesome Cube Steak Recipe using the Crockpot! It is so easy to make and your family will love it.

Ingredients:
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
6 (about 4 oz. each) beef cube steaks
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3 c. water, divided
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
1 envelope onion gravy mix

Instructions:
Spray the inside of a 3-5 quart slow
cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the sliced onions in the slow cooker. Combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a large sealing plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a time and shake until completely coated. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks, a few at a time, and cook until lightly browned on each side. Place the browned steaks on top of the onions in the slow cooker. Pour 2 c. water over all. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
In a bowl, whisk together the 3 gravy mixes with remaining 1 cup water. Add to slow cooker and cover and cook on Low for 30 minutes longer.

I like the easy and crock pot recipes.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#89308 May 11, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Guess not. Maybe I will just disconnect the modem etc...and reboot. At least I might show up somewhere in Kentucky. hahaha
Belie, you and JPF/OJG were discussing the bees at one time and it seems there has been alot of talk about them lately.
Almost one-third of all commercial honeybee colonies in America didn't make it through the past winter, a group of experts announced Wednesday. If your response to that is, "Whatever, no biggie, I don't like those pesky insects," you're missing the point. The unexplained and increasingly steep decline in the honeybee population is now seriously threatening the food supply chain. "We're getting closer and closer to the point where we donít have enough bees in this country to meet pollination demands," University of Maryland entomologist Dennis vanEngelsdorp said. "One in every three bites [of food consumed in the U.S.] is directly or indirectly pollinated by bees." Meaning, if the bee deaths continue at this rate, it could seriously sting.
You are absolutely correct. This is what I mean about world events: the bee colony collapse, radioactive waste reaching the west coast, with probable result of sea lions sickening and dying, water shortage, famines, countries plagued with drought, others inundated with flood water. All of these things impact our survival, in the sense that it affects availability of clean drinking water, and severe crop failure. Not to mention the locust swarms in the middle and far east, decimating crops and causing famine on a biblical scale. The previous poster seems to have these kinds of things wrapped up in politics, which is far from the truth. We are entering a phase of earth changes which may ultimately threaten humanity. People need to educate themselves and stop with the platitudes about politics. I stopped discussing this long ago; there is no point. But I live on this tiny blue marble and I am concerned about things going on that directly affect me....perhaps not now, but soon enough.Emulate the boy scouts---"always be prepared." How can one prepare if one is not aware.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89309 May 11, 2013
ONION BOMBS
1. large onions ground meat seasonings to taste Directions: 1. peel your onions
and cut them in half as equally as possible.

2. Prepare your meatballs how you
want them-- I used italian seasoning, oregano, chili powder, minced garlic,
ketchup, worcestershire sauce and some bread crumbs

3. Size your meatballs so
that they can be squished between two pieces of onions. Some meat will push out
the ends and that is okay!!! Just make them as compact as possible!!

4. wrap each onion bomb in tinfoil-- might want to double them since they'll be tossed
in the fire! Make sure not to poke holes in the foil!!

5. toss in the fire and
try to get them in the coals.

6. cook for about 10 minutes, flip em around and
cook another 10 minutes or so!!!

Hempburn might try that one out on the grill.

Loaded Potato and Chicken Casserole
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cubed (1")
8-10 medium potatoes, cut in 1/2" cubes
1/3 cup olive oil
1&1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
6 Tbsp. hot sauce

Topping:
2 cups fiesta blend cheese
1 cup crumbled bacon
1 cup diced green onion

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Spray a 9X13" baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and hot sauce. Add the cubed potatoes and stir to coat. Carefully scoop the potatoes into the prepared baking dish, leaving behind as much of the olive oil/hot sauce mixture as possible. Bake the potatoes for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and crispy and browned on the outside. While the potatoes are cooking, add the cubed chicken to the bowl with the left over olive oil/hot sauce mixture and stir to coat. Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Top the cooked potatoes with the raw marinated chicken. In a bowl ix together the cheese, bacon and green onion and top the raw chicken with the cheese mixture.

Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the topping is bubbly delicious.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#89310 May 11, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
I have read about this worrisome problem,AB. Dad has two active stands and a dead bee filled log that is trying to swarm. Fortunately, they haven't left it yet. Just recently he was reminded to use mite screens because that helps infestation of the colonies. Bees are wonderful little insects:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#89311 May 11, 2013
It is infinitely better to have a few good men than many indifferent ones.
Letter to James McHenry (10 August 1798).
It was not my intention to doubt that, the Doctrines of the Illuminati, and principles of Jacobinism had not spread in the United States. On the contrary, no one is more truly satisfied of this fact than I am.
The idea that I meant to convey, was, that I did not believe that the Lodges of Free Masons in this Country had, as Societies, endeavoured to propagate the diabolical tenets of the first, or pernicious principles of the latter (if they are susceptible of seperation). That Individuals of them may have done it, or that the founder, or instrument employed to found, the Democratic Societies in the United States, may have had these objects; and actually had a seperation of the People from their Government in view, is too evident to be questioned.
Letter to the Reverend G. W. Snyder (24 October 1798).- George Washington
The greatest leader to have ever existed in Ameican history held the same beliefs popular as I do today. He did not want to be King or Emperor; he was George.
The birds are trilling so beautifully. Life is good;) Wonderful eve' to All.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#89312 May 11, 2013
Just got home. Beautiful day today, cold though. Spring has left us yet again!
go blue forever

Lexington, KY

#89313 May 11, 2013
the birds this thread lives on
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

#89314 May 11, 2013
Wonderful day, beautiful weather, great BBQ with family and friends. Sorry I missed you lala and misty-eyed.

I hope all the MOMS have a ......

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#89315 May 12, 2013
Happy Mothers day! Hope it's a good one for you all.
So true

United States

#89316 May 12, 2013
Happy Mothers. Day to all of you.., life would not be right without Mothers..
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#89317 May 12, 2013
To All the Mothers out there, a very Happy Mother's Day. Have a nice one:) I have two precious babies myself; life has been kinder for them.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#89319 May 12, 2013
happy mothers day guys, its sunny and wonderful outside and hubby is working on getting the grill going. we didnt really plan on a party but i sent a mass text out that was like "hey....johnsonville brats!" and now we got people coming so i will probably not make it back to the thread till late evening. hope everyone has a great day..... and to all the men who are both mother and father.....happy mothers day also.
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#89320 May 12, 2013
Many thanks and GODSpeed to All mothers today . Without You, we would not be here ! lol Hope everyone enjoys this beautiful day that the Lord hath made... yes indeed !
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#89321 May 12, 2013
Mommas' most famous words ; Come home , come home , it's supper time !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min VINCE 1,281
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 30 min Nutz 151,117
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 39 min The_Box 130,468
Travis slushpup 49 min Brenda 6
betty mills 2 hr friend 3
hot girl a the funeral home 5 hr wow 7
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 10 hr Tell it 9
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating