Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,722

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#88642 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty.. I never said anything about you packing things in and out, but I thought that was a wasted effort too. Except for my corn field, my stuff is in raised beds also. Then when the corn is about 8 inches to a foot tall, I will come back and plant beans beside the corn and let the vines climb the corn stalk and I don't have to worry about poles for the beans.
I live at the foot of a hill and water was draining down toward the back and side of the house and I dug drainage ditches at the crest of the hill to take the run-off down each side and away from the house, then took landscaped timbers and built up about 18 inches high and about 2 feet out from the house and filled the area with a base of dirt. All winter long I throw egg shells, coffee grounds, and potato peelings on top of the dirt mixed in with chicken poo and chicken poo'd hay from the barn and plant my tomatoes in that fencing it off with chicken wire tacked to my 18 inches of landscape timbers. That keeps the chickens from getting most of my tomatoes and stops the run-off water from going under my house. As the tomato vines grow, I take tin snips and open larger holes in the chicken wire and let the tomato plants grow out through the holes I made. The chickens can still mess up a few of the tomatoes that grow on the outside of the wire, but those inside the wire.... ARE MINE!!! LOL
think my biggest problem last year with my container garden is i did not have adequate drainage and that is why my seeds got water logged and floated to the top. i shoved them back down except for the ones that had cracked when they swelled and only half of those ever came up. i also did not add enough organic material to my soil mix and the combination of all that is probably why they did not get going real good till mid may when drought season hit and over watering just could not be a problem anymore.
this year i soaked them for a few hours per your suggestion and i fixed my drainage problem with larger holes and filling the bottom with gravel and packing peanuts.... i think that's why they are doing so well. things that like to be absolutely drowned in water and then dry out at the end (like my cabbages) did really well last year. gee i wonder why...lol

for my organic material i have two five gallon buckets full of a years worth of coffee grounds, leftover leaves from tea bags, fine ground eggshells , ground up leaves and pine needles, and fish meal. going to mix that with my chicken poo and get all my seedlings in their containers tomorrow. guess i will just dump some poo on top of the beans since they are already in their final pot.

that's a really good idea with the corn being the stake for your beans.... i saw a you tube video of a man who was doing that for the first time with his corn and beans but never gave an update on whether it choked out his corn and dampened production which seemed to be his concern. i still have another whole pack of beans i suppose i could try that with..... would also like to compare my container yield to those that grow with the corn.

what do you think about her telling me to give my peppers and tomatoes a good shake? have you ever heard of that one before..... i have always heard that when you transplant its good to rustle the roots or "tickle the roots" as some say to stimulate good root growth but i never thought about jarring them around so they will have nice thick stalks.... if they begin to droop or are a little leggy i have orchid holders i clip on them and that tends to keep my maters off the ground.

yep over obsessing again..... guess i should just put them in their pots and let them do their thing. probably the best thing that happened to my garden last year was my knee getting hurt and me not being able to hover over it all like a mama hen.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#88643 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88644 Apr 18, 2013
@Betty.. I had never heard of shaking plants to make them stouter. I have shook potato vines to loosen potato bugs for the chickens to eat. I don't buy dust or chemicals, but try to do everythng natural.

I am sure the tomato vines get some movement when I feed them out through my chicken wires. Last year my tomato plants grew about 5 feet tall. I had plenty for BLTs and if the chickens pecked holes in the green ones, I cut out the part they messed over and had Fried Green tomatoes. So even the ones they pecked were not a total waste.

In the fall, I individually wrapped green tomatoes in brown paper bags and put them in the dark in the laundry room closet and I had tomatoes all the way through until past Thanksgiving.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88645 Apr 18, 2013
So much sad stuff has happened so often. It makes you realize what's really important to You.
Anne

Owensboro, KY

#88646 Apr 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty.. I had never heard of shaking plants to make them stouter. I have shook potato vines to loosen potato bugs for the chickens to eat. I don't buy dust or chemicals, but try to do everythng natural.
I am sure the tomato vines get some movement when I feed them out through my chicken wires. Last year my tomato plants grew about 5 feet tall. I had plenty for BLTs and if the chickens pecked holes in the green ones, I cut out the part they messed over and had Fried Green tomatoes. So even the ones they pecked were not a total waste.
In the fall, I individually wrapped green tomatoes in brown paper bags and put them in the dark in the laundry room closet and I had tomatoes all the way through until past Thanksgiving.
I've never heard of the shaking thing either but have heard if wrapping them in newspaper to keep them. Question: did you run put of tomatoes or did they go bad? And did you wrap both green ones and red ones?

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88653 Apr 18, 2013
So today it's really warm and windy. Tomorrow will be only about 57. Weird weather.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88654 Apr 18, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard of the shaking thing either but have heard if wrapping them in newspaper to keep them. Question: did you run put of tomatoes or did they go bad? And did you wrap both green ones and red ones?
No, none went bad but I only wrapped the green tomatoes or those just slightly turning. I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I have been out enjoying the outside work. I also went and bought all my seeds for this year with the exception of tomato plants. I will wait a couple weeks on those for 2 reasons : better weather and more money LOL
Anne

United States

#88655 Apr 18, 2013
It has been pretty quiet on here today !!! I totally understand being outside enjoying this weather!!! Beautiful !!! I broke down and bought a small push mower to do trim work around the yard. Maybe I can assemble the mower without help !! Lol also bought a storage box/bench to place on the dock for life jackets and extra seating. Gotta put that together also. Projects projects projects!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88656 Apr 18, 2013
somebody has a dim bulb fetish LOL But I don't care.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#88657 Apr 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
somebody has a dim bulb fetish LOL But I don't care.
Leo

You could be the victim of some kind of deception today, unless you remain very alert. It may be that you don't want to face the hard facts about someone, so therefore they are able to pull the wool over your eyes. Review past experiences with this person and score them on a scale of one to ten for honesty; you may not like the answers, but at least you'll be able to protect your interests. Try not to sign contracts or give your word on anything today without researching the facts.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88658 Apr 18, 2013
Well, I hope no one has any bad weather. It was a beautiful couple of days, but it'll be chilly the next few days.
Anne

United States

#88659 Apr 18, 2013
The weather here is very warm (81), dry and windy. It gives me an uneasy feeling and with the forecast for severe thunderstorms, possible tornados....sigh.

Oh, ladies! Anyone out there a thrift store recreational shopper??? I love 'em!!! While I usually buy, uh, "treasures", today I found my g'daughter several really cute tops for summer! She actually liked my choices and most important, so did her mom! Lol. Some of my treasures?? Antique dishes, photo frames, lamps, some sterling silver...on and on...anyone else ever find wonderful treasures in crazy places?? Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88660 Apr 19, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
<quoted text>
Leo
You could be the victim of some kind of deception today, unless you remain very alert. It may be that you don't want to face the hard facts about someone, so therefore they are able to pull the wool over your eyes. Review past experiences with this person and score them on a scale of one to ten for honesty; you may not like the answers, but at least you'll be able to protect your interests. Try not to sign contracts or give your word on anything today without researching the facts.
The attempted deception is a post copied directly from the Topix Daily Horoscope that appears in duplicate just to the right of the deceiving post, and there is no wool on or in these eyes. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88661 Apr 19, 2013
Anne wrote:
The weather here is very warm (81), dry and windy. It gives me an uneasy feeling and with the forecast for severe thunderstorms, possible tornados....sigh.
Oh, ladies! Anyone out there a thrift store recreational shopper??? I love 'em!!! While I usually buy, uh, "treasures", today I found my g'daughter several really cute tops for summer! She actually liked my choices and most important, so did her mom! Lol. Some of my treasures?? Antique dishes, photo frames, lamps, some sterling silver...on and on...anyone else ever find wonderful treasures in crazy places?? Lol
I am not a lady, but... I went to the GOODWILL store to see if they had any sheer curtain liners to be used as canvas for my leaf lettuce bed. They didn't, so I had to pay real money for some canvas. I am looking forward to my wilted lettuce salad.. leaf lettuce, chopped green onions, a touch of vinegar, and dripping in hot bacon grease. Hot buttered cornbread and a cold glass of milk.. Yummy!!

I did see some polyester men's leisure suits from the 1970s and recalled UNA telling about purchasing a lime green one. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88662 Apr 19, 2013
Anne wrote:
It has been pretty quiet on here today !!! I totally understand being outside enjoying this weather!!! Beautiful !!! I broke down and bought a small push mower to do trim work around the yard. Maybe I can assemble the mower without help !! Lol also bought a storage box/bench to place on the dock for life jackets and extra seating. Gotta put that together also. Projects projects projects!!
I lived on the lake for many years with my own private boat dock. They are tough to maintain with all the high boat traffic. Our favorite time was at night looking into a starlit heaven with the moon and stars glistening like diamonds on the water being caressed by a soft gentle breeze. It is difficult to disavow a HIGHER POWER in such a serene environment. The magnetic appeal has faded since the wife passed over.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88663 Apr 19, 2013
Good morning all!! It's cold!! Only 45. I did put things out for the birds. I also had to put my heat back on! Brr!
roamingalcoholic

AOL

#88664 Apr 19, 2013
some look at one another short of breath
walking proudly in our winter coats
wearing smells of laboratories
facing a dying nation ,
of moving paper fantasy
roamingalcoholic

AOL

#88665 Apr 19, 2013
listing for the new told lies
with supreme visions of luny tunes

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88666 Apr 19, 2013
That made VERY little sense.
Sounds like a problem.
Anne

United States

#88670 Apr 19, 2013
roamingalcoholic wrote:
listing for the new told lies
with supreme visions of luny tunes
TR?? Is that you thumping around looking for snowmen in the bird kingdom?? No snowmen here... Maybe snowbirds...lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min Historicallyspeaking 131,966
Bastards 1 hr speed racer 8
To the Garland family 1 hr The way it is 8
fords vs chevy 1 hr silverado 4
fire station or not 3 hr cuzin 6
dinky phipps 5 hr The hard truth 8
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 7 hr haha 12
who's the best lay from the creek 10 hr Truth 8
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) Sun Lisa 185
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search