Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,734)

Showing posts 74,661 - 74,680 of81,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Hehehe, sounds like a narc agent. I'd take Hubby just to help in case that you get a bigger stink than you can handle unless he's a city slicker and just can't handle those smells. Mine complains about fields of cows, roosters' crowing. Well, this Ol gal likes the sound of chickens not so much the cow poo, but if they're few and range on a big enough spread that is not a big problem. Commercial cattle is another business. Phewh. especially before DDT.
lol....hubby is definitely a city slicker but with combat training.....i just don't feel comfortable with meeting someone out i don't know and then following them back to their home by myself. so yes, for the most part he will be in the car with the windows rolled tight trying to keep down his breakfast....but if she and the imaginary corn children i have dreamed up try to lock me in the wood shed i can depend on him swallow his pre vomit and spring to action lmao...... oh well....all in the name of free poop but he is less than thrilled im once again involving him in my outskirtings..... says i should just go buy some...pff, now why would i want to pay for something if i can get it free?...lol no no no hubby!... we will risk being dismembered by batty country folk (his words) for free poop!...oh yes...we will!

sigh .... back to bad i suppose.... maybe i can actually fall asleep this time.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Lord help the city slickers. I bet they can't even stand the smell of collard greens cooking or would not even eat pole beans grown in chicken doo. LOL I would worry more about the "batty" city slickers than the country folk. Anyone ever heard of a serial killer that lived in the country?

Storm woke me up, empty coffee pot said "get up". No deck work for that old couple today even if the storm ends. I will have to wait for the deck to dry out.

I don't know why I call them an "old" couple. They are younger than me. Perhaps because they are such a helpless a bunch of town dwellers with minimal skills and abilities.
early morning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

I like beans good as anyone but I'm not climbing any pole to get them.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

early morning wrote:
I like beans good as anyone but I'm not climbing any pole to get them.
I agree. You would only want to do that if you are wearing a light fall suit. LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Well, it's been raining a bit. Hope it doesn't get bad!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Had quite a thunder storm here earlier. A few claps of thunder around 4:00 a.m. and my dogs where standing up and rattled, the parrot started yelling "hey come here" and "what'cha doin" from the other room, and the cat jumped up on my hip. Eventually I was up and staggering through the dark house to get to the coffee pot... At least the coffee is good this morning and now the birds are awake outside, singing to their hearts content.

I see that there's still no word from Blue. I'm starting to wonder if everything is okay. Maybe he got another job and is on the road. I hope the lack of posting is good news and not a sign that something is wrong.

So how are everyone's gardens doing today? Anne, did you move your beans? I think it's safe to put mine out now. I was waiting to put them out, just in case we got another last blast of winter air. Hopefully we're in the clear now. I did get my potted herbs put out. Glad to have that done. I still have one more 'mater plant to put into the ground and I should be set except for getting a couple rows of corn put out later..

Well, got things to do, so I better get to it. It's garbage day, laundry waits and I have to clean out the chicken coop later today, yuk. But the cast out "poo pile" that has been building outside at the wood line every time I clean it out will be put to good use around the flower beds. It's "cool" enough to use now. Can't use "hot" poo or you'll burn your plant babies up...

I think I'll procrastinate and have one more cup of coffee before I get in gear today. I have SO much to do that I don't even want to think about it, I'll just get overwhelmed by it all. When I get overwhelmed, very little actually gets done... I need a lesson in how to turn mountains into mole hills. I swear I do.

Everyone take care! Chat later!!
banana

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Lord help the city slickers. I bet they can't even stand the smell of collard greens cooking or would not even eat pole beans grown in chicken doo. LOL I would worry more about the "batty" city slickers than the country folk. Anyone ever heard of a serial killer that lived in the country?
Storm woke me up, empty coffee pot said "get up". No deck work for that old couple today even if the storm ends. I will have to wait for the deck to dry out.
I don't know why I call them an "old" couple. They are younger than me. Perhaps because they are such a helpless a bunch of town dwellers with minimal skills and abilities.
They need help, and you are willing to offer it, as our Creator intended, and that is all that need be said. God Bless you, AW. Lala

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Had quite a thunder storm here earlier. A few claps of thunder around 4:00 a.m. and my dogs where standing up and rattled, the parrot started yelling "hey come here" and "what'cha doin" from the other room, and the cat jumped up on my hip. Eventually I was up and staggering through the dark house to get to the coffee pot... At least the coffee is good this morning and now the birds are awake outside, singing to their hearts content.
I see that there's still no word from Blue. I'm starting to wonder if everything is okay. Maybe he got another job and is on the road. I hope the lack of posting is good news and not a sign that something is wrong.
So how are everyone's gardens doing today? Anne, did you move your beans? I think it's safe to put mine out now. I was waiting to put them out, just in case we got another last blast of winter air. Hopefully we're in the clear now. I did get my potted herbs put out. Glad to have that done. I still have one more 'mater plant to put into the ground and I should be set except for getting a couple rows of corn put out later..
Well, got things to do, so I better get to it. It's garbage day, laundry waits and I have to clean out the chicken coop later today, yuk. But the cast out "poo pile" that has been building outside at the wood line every time I clean it out will be put to good use around the flower beds. It's "cool" enough to use now. Can't use "hot" poo or you'll burn your plant babies up...
I think I'll procrastinate and have one more cup of coffee before I get in gear today. I have SO much to do that I don't even want to think about it, I'll just get overwhelmed by it all. When I get overwhelmed, very little actually gets done... I need a lesson in how to turn mountains into mole hills. I swear I do.
Everyone take care! Chat later!!
Horse poo is excellent to use. It doesn't smell as bad as cow poo, and it cools out faster than chicken poo. Try some. It makes excellent natural fertilizer. Our farm has turned a vibrant shade of green....unfortunately, that beautiful color needs to be mowed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Good morning, my fine feathered friends. Today calls for many prayers for those caught in the recent tragic events. Today I heard on the news that an envelope filled with Ricin was sent to one of our Senators. Thankfully, it was intercepted and tested before it could be opened to wreak havoc on the Senator and those around him. Something Evil is afoot, and I hope that it is nipped in the bud vigorously.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

I've been extremely tired today. It's that whole insomnia thing. I debated with myself, about taking a nap and thought "what the heck!" and laid down. That was a mistake. I dozed off, and woke up several times, and now I have a buzzing in my ears. This happens when I get this tire. I WANT to sleep, but my brains won't let me. I think it's going to be a LONG day!
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
back with my poo!
the old batty country folk ended up being just about the smartest lady i have talked to in a while (in person....and excluding present company of course :)

feel really silly about the whole thing...... but turns out she was just as weary of us as we were of her and her son. said you just never know about ppl any more. we had a nice long talk about how things were then and how they are now.

and oh do i have some garden envy! she has a raised bed style set up she made out of some old troughs that she has all her herbs in. and then every thing else in buckets like im doing. says she used to do the full garden spread but as she got older and couldn't do the upkeep, the container garden took over.

asked her about hauling my plants in and out, and after laughing at my expense for a few minutes, told me i would have a bunch of non producing wussies if i kept it up. hubby got a kick out of that.

think its safe to say we were the batty ones in the end and i guess i should never underestimate who i could learn a thing or two from.

off to put the rest of my peppers in their final big pots. she told me the best thing i can do for them (and the maters) is to pick them up and give them a good shake. says they may grow slower and i may lose a few but the ones who make it will have nice strong stalks and hold the weight of the fruit better. brilliant!

beans and peas have shot up another couple inches over night it seems.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

@Betty.. I never said anything about you packing things in and out, but I thought that was a wasted effort too. Except for my corn field, my stuff is in raised beds also. Then when the corn is about 8 inches to a foot tall, I will come back and plant beans beside the corn and let the vines climb the corn stalk and I dont have to worry about poles for the beans.

I live at the foot of a hill and water was draining down toward the back and side of the house and I dug drainage ditches at the crest of the hill to take the run-off down each side and away from the house, then took landscaped timbers and built up about 18 inches high and about 2 feet out from the house and filled the area with a base of dirt. All winter long I throw egg shells, coffee grounds, and potato peelings on top of the dirt mixed in with chicken poo and chicken poo'd hay from the barn and plant my tomatoes in that fencing it off with chicken wire tacked to my 18 inches of landscape timbers. That keeps the chickens from getting most of my tomatoes and stops the run-off water from going under my house. As the tomato vines grow, I take tin snips and open larger holes in the chicken wire and let the tomato plants grow out through the holes I made. The chickens can still mess up a few of the tomatoes that grow on the outside of the wire, but those inside the wire.... ARE MINE!!! LOL
mid night sandy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

dont work too hard grand ole wolfman ,...
you dont wana be taking a dirtnap ,... now
---
relax dude ,....
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

mid night sandy wrote:
dont work too hard grand ole wolfman ,...
you dont wana be taking a dirtnap ,... now
---
relax dude ,....
Work keeps one active and keeps the ticker a tickin and I don't even have to go to the gym. I don't understand those that make it a point to park at the front door of Walmart and then have to go to Zumba classes or ride a stationary bicycle when they get home.

After 47 years in a high-tech profession with phones ringing constantly, work is relaxing. But THANKS for your concern.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Work keeps one active and keeps the ticker a tickin and I don't even have to go to the gym. I don't understand those that make it a point to park at the front door of Walmart and then have to go to Zumba classes or ride a stationary bicycle when they get home.
After 47 years in a high-tech profession with phones ringing constantly, work is relaxing. But THANKS for your concern.
I second that comment. Same here, except I worked in hospitals. That was high-stress. Ambling around in the countryside is the best rest anyone could have.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Now someone sent President Obama a ricin tainted letter. I don't care for his politics, but doing that is a low-down road toward anarchy. what in the heck is going on in the world? I think that many people have finally snapped.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
Now someone sent President Obama a ricin tainted letter. I don't care for his politics, but doing that is a low-down road toward anarchy. what in the heck is going on in the world? I think that many people have finally snapped.
I'm not a cheerleader for the President or anything, but wow! sending him Riacin in the mail?? You gotta have a death wish. That secret service will find whoever did it. Not smart.
The bombings are also sad.
Someone has some real issues and is taking it out on the WRONG people.
It's going to be fast and they will never see daylight again.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a cheerleader for the President or anything, but wow! sending him Riacin in the mail?? You gotta have a death wish. That secret service will find whoever did it. Not smart.
The bombings are also sad.
Someone has some real issues and is taking it out on the WRONG people.
It's going to be fast and they will never see daylight again.
i would not see the point in trying to harm the president....soon enough obummer will be on ex-presidential welfare and we will be dealing with another dumb shmuck..... seems like a moot point to me.

but i guess thats what sets us apart from the crazies
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty.. I never said anything about you packing things in and out, but I thought that was a wasted effort too. Except for my corn field, my stuff is in raised beds also. Then when the corn is about 8 inches to a foot tall, I will come back and plant beans beside the corn and let the vines climb the corn stalk and I don't have to worry about poles for the beans.
I live at the foot of a hill and water was draining down toward the back and side of the house and I dug drainage ditches at the crest of the hill to take the run-off down each side and away from the house, then took landscaped timbers and built up about 18 inches high and about 2 feet out from the house and filled the area with a base of dirt. All winter long I throw egg shells, coffee grounds, and potato peelings on top of the dirt mixed in with chicken poo and chicken poo'd hay from the barn and plant my tomatoes in that fencing it off with chicken wire tacked to my 18 inches of landscape timbers. That keeps the chickens from getting most of my tomatoes and stops the run-off water from going under my house. As the tomato vines grow, I take tin snips and open larger holes in the chicken wire and let the tomato plants grow out through the holes I made. The chickens can still mess up a few of the tomatoes that grow on the outside of the wire, but those inside the wire.... ARE MINE!!! LOL
think my biggest problem last year with my container garden is i did not have adequate drainage and that is why my seeds got water logged and floated to the top. i shoved them back down except for the ones that had cracked when they swelled and only half of those ever came up. i also did not add enough organic material to my soil mix and the combination of all that is probably why they did not get going real good till mid may when drought season hit and over watering just could not be a problem anymore.
this year i soaked them for a few hours per your suggestion and i fixed my drainage problem with larger holes and filling the bottom with gravel and packing peanuts.... i think that's why they are doing so well. things that like to be absolutely drowned in water and then dry out at the end (like my cabbages) did really well last year. gee i wonder why...lol

for my organic material i have two five gallon buckets full of a years worth of coffee grounds, leftover leaves from tea bags, fine ground eggshells , ground up leaves and pine needles, and fish meal. going to mix that with my chicken poo and get all my seedlings in their containers tomorrow. guess i will just dump some poo on top of the beans since they are already in their final pot.

that's a really good idea with the corn being the stake for your beans.... i saw a you tube video of a man who was doing that for the first time with his corn and beans but never gave an update on whether it choked out his corn and dampened production which seemed to be his concern. i still have another whole pack of beans i suppose i could try that with..... would also like to compare my container yield to those that grow with the corn.

what do you think about her telling me to give my peppers and tomatoes a good shake? have you ever heard of that one before..... i have always heard that when you transplant its good to rustle the roots or "tickle the roots" as some say to stimulate good root growth but i never thought about jarring them around so they will have nice thick stalks.... if they begin to droop or are a little leggy i have orchid holders i clip on them and that tends to keep my maters off the ground.

yep over obsessing again..... guess i should just put them in their pots and let them do their thing. probably the best thing that happened to my garden last year was my knee getting hurt and me not being able to hover over it all like a mama hen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,661 - 74,680 of81,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min Commietator 138,711
lamon jones 1 hr guss 19
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 1 hr funnier 20
Best elementary school 2 hr mother of 2 16
Coming soon to America!!! SICK 2 hr guss 8
hbic is bridget doolin she has herpies (Jul '09) 2 hr patient 17
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Khatru 122,788
Corey vs. Collins 8 hr Charley 57
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters