Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,629

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87990 Mar 28, 2013
You know the game "Angry Birds?" This is the guy it’s named for.(he is soooo cute)

See 14 animals so cranky they make Grumpy Cat look cheerful

Tardar Sauce, the sour-faced feline better known as Grumpy Cat, is so grumpy that her bad mood has seemingly spread to every corner of the animal kingdom. Her infamous glare has infected other cats, dogs, fish, birds and all kinds of critters from land, sky and sea. By the time you've finished looking at these photos of bad-tempered animals, you'll probably have a scowl on your face, too.(You might want to look at some smiling animals to cheer yourself up.)

http://now.msn.com/grumpy-animals-photo-galle...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87992 Mar 28, 2013
Dog travels 10 miles in cold to reunite with his love

Ben, a mixed German shepherd, ran away from his owners and traveled 10 miles to the Terre Haute (Ind.) Humane Society to reunite with Jade (in foreground). The two dogs were then both adopted by the couple who originally brought Ben home.
When Ben was separated from the love of his life, the mixed German shepherd showed there was no distance too far that would prevent him from reuniting with her.

Separated from the mother of his children after he was adopted from the Terre Haute (Ind.) Humane Society, Ben went on a 10-mile trek in the middle of winter to find his way back to Jade, a 1-year-old mixed German shepherd.

On Dec. 28, the 4 1/2-year-old, 70-pound dog ran away from owners Courtney and Jason Lawler and traveled across a wooded landscape in freezing temperatures to return to the Humane Society shelter, where Jade was still living.

After finding out about Ben's remarkable journey and seeing the strong bond between the two dogs, the Lawlers decided to bring Jade home as well.

“It was amazing,’’ Courtney Lawler told TODAY.com .“I was really shocked because we thought he was still in our area when he got away, and he walked 10 miles away from us. We knew that they had been caught together (by the Humane Society) and that they stayed together (before Ben was adopted), but we didn’t realize how strong of a bond they had.’’

Despite living as strays for most or all of their lives, Ben and Jade have bonded with the Lawlers' 3-year-old son, Peyton.

“We do have the occasional dog that will come back from not very far away, but 10 miles is a pretty good distance and that was some pretty rough territory that dog would have to go through,’’ Jacob Harrod, an adoption counselor at the Terre Haute Humane Society, told TODAY.com .“There’s never been anything like this that’s happened here before.’’

Ben had previously run away twice from the Humane Society shelter and returned, which may explain how he knew to find the place from the Lawlers' home, according to Harrod.

The bond between the dogs made the Lawlers realize that if they wanted to avoid Ben continually running away, they would have to adopt Jade. In the first week of January, they added her to their home, which also includes their 3-year-old son.
“We think that since (Ben) did this, he won’t be happy unless he has her and will keep looking for a way to get loose and come back to her,’’ Lawler said.“We thought,‘If this is going to keep happening, we can’t leave without her.' Everything’s been pretty good since we brought them both home.’’

The shelter took in the two dogs when they were strays last summer, after Jade became pregnant with six puppies, which eventually found homes through the shelter.

Even after Ben ran away from the Lawlers and returned to see Jade at the shelter, it took employees a lot of effort to catch him.

“It took them over a day to actually catch him because he was being smart,’’ Lawler said.“They had Jade in a penned-in area outside the building where dogs go to exercise, but he knew if he went in, they would close the gate, so he stayed outside the gate. They had to use a (tranquilizer) dart gun as a last resort and still ended up having to track him on foot for hours before he got groggy enough to slow down.’’

A few days later, the Lawlers returned and decided to adopt Jade as well, bringing home both dogs. Though the canine duo was initially very skittish around humans, taking four months before they allowed anyone to pet them at the shelter, they are definitely warming up to their new owners.

“They’ve been pretty confident around our son," Lawler said. "He’s been doing very well around them after we taught him at first to know when to back off. We give them attention and give them time to let them know they can roam around the house, and hopefully they will continue to open up.’’

http://www.today.com/pets/dog-travels-10-mile...

Too sweet
Merlin the Wizard

Somerset, KY

#87995 Mar 28, 2013
Welcome to the end of time, my friend's.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87996 Mar 28, 2013
It's shameful when somebody deliberately posts as someone else. I thought it was kind of funny that Nope and I were probably taking out the trash and fixing coffee at the the same time yesterday afternoon.Lol. Didn't get to take my one mile walk yesterday. I have been getting two miles in during the weekend. Better than none I reckon. Hopefully, between the walking and eating more veggies, I'll lose that 30 lbs.Hehe.
The sun is shining brightly; the birds are singing. It's a nice afternoon. Am looking forward to a lovely evening. Glad the Bill passed. Maybe, that will help the job growth here in Ky. Having an income is better than not:) My phone cord disappeared in the middle of the night. I haven't found it, never moved it in the first place. Fortunately, my ear piece/ blue tooth cord fits it. A gremlin took it perhaps. Hehe. Odd nonetheless. You kind Folks have a good day. Oh, I noticed that during the winter I have burning and tingling in my fingers. I don't usually eat as much citrus foods. Well, this year I began taking Ester C 500 mg. a day. My joint,finger pain has been eliminated. I do forget to take it sometimes.Lol. Good day;)

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87997 Mar 28, 2013
G'morning all! What a beautiful day the Lord has made!! Still "a bit too nippy for this old hippie", but at this point I'll take all the sunshine I can get. It simply means that instead of sitting out on the front porch for some warmth on my bones, I'll be sitting on the couch near the big window while the sun shines through on my back. Awwww, the nice warmth of real sunshine..

Anne: Honey, are you sure that you didn't get poisoned? You know that fake Morels are SO close in appearance that they are mistaken for the real McCoy often? They usually don't kill you, but they can and sometimes will make you extremely sick. I'm sorry, in any case. Morels are so yummy in my opinion. And yes, this time last year they WERE already being found. What a long winter it's been and I'm way over it right now.

AB, that's incredibly suspicious about all of these sink holes starting to show up everywhere all at once. The one I have on my property is still getting wider, but it seems to have slowed if I'm correct. That thing scares me, no doubt about it. But luckily in my case it's pretty far back. However, who knows what the parameters of it are underground... An invisible and quite scary threat.. Yikes.

Misty, I've learned to ignore the slams from our resident "you know who". I missed what was placed, if something was. And I can only assume it was my personal and ill mannered little troll. I've tried to be nice, but gave up. It's a waste of my time and energy. There are gaps on here again and that's something we've not seen in this thread for quite a while. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. Whatever was posted is and was nothing but wasted typing time for whomever posted it, quite obviously.

I'll get off of here for now. I still have things to do before I can relax for the rest of the day. And relaxing is what's on my mind first and foremost. I feel like I may bet catching a chest cold. My bronchial tubes are 'burning' a bit and I've developed a cough. First time I've had anything such as that grab me in forever. I dread it if it's indeed a chest cold coming on. Due to my health scare last December, I'm not able to take some of the usual run of the mill prescription medications any longer. Bleh, the perils of old age and not taking my health more seriously when I was younger.

You all have a great one! Try to enjoy some of this wonderful sunlight if you've got the chance!!
reheaded wood pecker

Benton, KY

#87998 Mar 28, 2013
So true wrote:
Great morning, would love a big pot of chocolate gravy.. With some fresh biscuits.. Oh my fat tail don't need it anyway.. Better head out,,,u all have a great day.. Many hugs to each of you:)..
love this thread but never posted before but i just gotta ask how to make that chocolate gravy
mockingbird

United States

#87999 Mar 28, 2013
Birds are singing not for gold or fame.
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#88000 Mar 28, 2013
Good day to all my feathered friends! Just thought I'd drop in and say HIGH and BY ! Going to Louisville for the weekend to spend some time with my son and his wife. HEY, I'm finally going to be grandpa! Might try my Luck at the river boat while I'm there. Not much of a gambler but who knows,I might get lucky. Hope all of you that are having Alements get to feeling better.'Nope' I hope my corny eyeball jokes don't offend you. Don't know why I like to pick on YOU, I guess it just worked out that way. haha. Birds of a feather flock together !@ Misty, Hope all that walking does you some good. sounds like it takes alot of time. Flying would be faster ! heeha ! Ya'll have a good weekend...HEY ! I'm going to smoke some cigars and play some blackjack....JACK!....Later!
Anne

Owensboro, KY

#88001 Mar 28, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
G'morning all! What a beautiful day the Lord has made!!
Anne: Honey, are you sure that you didn't get poisoned? You know that fake Morels are SO close in appearance that they are mistaken for the real McCoy often? They usually don't kill you, but they can and sometimes will make you extremely sick. I'm sorry, in any case. Morels are so yummy in my opinion. And yes, this time last year they WERE already being found. What a long winter it's been and I'm way over it right now.
That could well be the problem !! But then we'd eaten them faithfully every year all my life!! Then too I've heard once you've eaten a poison morel then you can't eat any of them any more. I've tried them about 3 times over the years with the same result. Another possible factor is the spring after my first was born is when this unfortunate situation began. So maybe my body chemistry had changed?:-(
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#88002 Mar 28, 2013
@ Rapidfire, Congratulation Grandpa. You have a wonderful trip. And boy I wish I could fly. Hehe.
@ Nope, licorce root,mullein leaf and blue violet leaf will help w/ the throat and chest. I order my herbs from Floridaherbhouse.com ...Take care.
Back to enjoying the weather and the babies;)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88004 Mar 28, 2013
Oh now THAT'S my idea of Spring! Oh so happy!!
mockingbird

United States

#88005 Mar 28, 2013
@So true, never heard of chocolate gravy anyway. Reminded me of Good Brown Gravy-
By Joe Diffie.

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#88006 Mar 28, 2013
I worked on my building some more on this fine day and finished the roof except for installing the ridge cap. I will do that Saturday. Tomorrow, I am building a new small lawn mower shed for an elderly person who's old one blew over in the last big windstorm.

I will charge them only for the cost of the materials and is my good deed considering what JESUS CHRIST did for all of us on GOOD FRIDAY. May we all be Blessed on this Easter Weekend and for me, it is not about chocolate rabbits and colored eggs.
Imposter

London, KY

#88007 Mar 28, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
G'morning all! What a beautiful day the Lord has made!! Still "a bit too nippy for this old hippie", but at this point I'll take all the sunshine I can get. It simply means that instead of sitting out on the front porch for some warmth on my bones, I'll be sitting on the couch near the big window while the sun shines through on my back. Awwww, the nice warmth of real sunshine..
AB, that's incredibly suspicious about all of these sink holes starting to show up everywhere all at once. The one I have on my property is still getting wider, but it seems to have slowed if I'm correct. That thing scares me, no doubt about it. But luckily in my case it's pretty far back. However, who knows what the parameters of it are underground... An invisible and quite scary threat.. Yikes.
Misty, I've learned to ignore the slams from our resident "you know who". I missed what was placed, if something was. And I can only assume it was my personal and ill mannered little troll. I've tried to be nice, but gave up. It's a waste of my time and energy. There are gaps on here again and that's something we've not seen in this thread for quite a while. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. Whatever was posted is and was nothing but wasted typing time for whomever posted it, quite obviously.
I'll get off of here for now. I still have things to do before I can relax for the rest of the day. And relaxing is what's on my mind first and foremost. I feel like I may bet catching a chest cold. My bronchial tubes are 'burning' a bit and I've developed a cough. First time I've had anything such as that grab me in forever. I dread it if it's indeed a chest cold coming on. Due to my health scare last December, I'm not able to take some of the usual run of the mill prescription medications any longer. Bleh, the perils of old age and not taking my health more seriously when I was younger.
You all have a great one! Try to enjoy some of this wonderful sunlight if you've got the chance!!
Lia lia Pants on fiA. You have never tried to be nice to me! All you do is delete my posts, good, bad, ugly...you delete them all!
Foo I say, FOO!
Imposter

London, KY

#88008 Mar 28, 2013
Imposter out...

"POOT"
AntiCare

Campton, KY

#88009 Mar 28, 2013
I am sure there is a lot the government likes to keep us in the dark about!!!
mockingbird

United States

#88010 Mar 28, 2013
  Travis Trint -Lyric :: Lord Have Mercy On The Working Man - All around I hear th
e sound of money But I ain't got a nickel to my name And everywhere I look I see temptation She stands on every corner and calls my name Won't you tell me if you can Cause life's so hard to understand Why's the rich man busy dancing While the poor man pays the band Oh they're billing me for killing me Lord have mercy on the working man Uncle Sam's got his hands in my pockets And he helps himself each time he needs a dime Them politicians treat me like a mushroom Cause they feed me bull and keep me in the blind Repeat Chorus  (full lyric) 

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88011 Mar 28, 2013
Just watching the weather, and by Tuesday we will have another chance for snow. UHH no!!
qwerty

United States

#88012 Mar 28, 2013
You can enjoy rich depth or a depth of riches as the Moon continues to rip your britches. You'll need to be more aware of the atmosphere if you want your efforts to succeed. A woman in your office may be supportive of you at this time... show your appreciation for those who have given you a helping hand.
Theresa

Nicholasville, KY

#88014 Mar 28, 2013
If you haven't read, Israel is now being swarmed with millions of Locusts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kfc 28 min DangIt 11
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min Cornelius Scudmister 153,027
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 41 min Hmmmmmmm 4,344
Jessica "Hall" Younger? (Jul '13) 1 hr BullSpit 7
2012 Ginseng Prices (Oct '12) 1 hr phil 125
Looking for Billy Mills 1 hr depotdirtyear 4
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 1 hr Limbertwig 70
Henson Hollow 3 hr live in the holler 10
What happened at Stinking Creek? Sep 12 Brenda 87
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••