Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,735

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87927 Mar 27, 2013
@ Ab; Last summer we had a pair of kildees nesting in the driveway turnaround.(not sure of the correct spelling),they always nest in the gravels. they resemble a sea gull. when you get close to the nest,which ever one is setting will run a few feet,flop around like it has a broken wing to lure off preditars. Well,one hot day in august,I was mowing the yard,It was around 100 degs. the bird lokked like it was roasting. So I went to the shed,got some cracked corn,some bread,and a can lid full of water, put the feed and water about a foot from the nest which had four eggs. then I came back in the cabin,got me a cold drink,went out on the porch,sat down and watched the show ! Don't know what they eat, but its sure not corn or bread. They both worked for at least an hour to permanantly remove every last crumb of bread and corn! they would pick up all that they could in their mouth,fly off with it,and drop it in or next to the pond. They never touched the water,but I could tell they did not like it in their home,So I removed it and they were happy once again! It kind of reminded me of the ole-days ,When people were too proud to take hand-outs...Now days they will ask for it!
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87928 Mar 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Howdy strangers! Long time no chat!! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger around here.
Got the new "critter" moved in, settled in and seemingly quite content to be here. Again I seem to have found a perfect fit for the long timer resident critters. Life is good. Everyone is getting along like they were born together. I don't know HOW this keeps working out for me like this, but it does and I'm not going to question it!!
I've been trying to get back into better physical health the past week and have been taking longer walks outdoors again. Well other than during those "S" days, hehe. It's done wonders for not only my physical being but my mental health and sleeping habits as well. My diet has gone well and honestly I think I'm back on track after that illness struck me down in December.. Man, it knocked my feet out from under me, that's for sure. It's short time until Morels start popping up though and I wanna be ready!! YUMMO to Morels!!!! Does anyone else hunt them too?
Glad to see you back again, Blue. Did I miss Hemp in my catching up? I'll have to backtrack..
Well, it's garbage day. Time to carry out the refuse. I'm lucky enough to even have garbage service where I live and do pay dearly for it. Gotta make sure those guys earn my dollars, ROFLMBO~~
I might be back on later this evening, never can tell around here. It depends on what kind of entertainment the animals are providing. They can be so funny to watch.
May the Lord continue to bless you all just as he has me!!
Have a great day!!!
HEY ! you blue-eyed beuttie of an eyeball ! haha! Your starving me to death...We were already picking mushrooms this time last year. Crazy weather just won't give us a break. but I got a feel'n it won't be long now ! Happy Hunt'n !

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87929 Mar 27, 2013
Howdy, Rapid. So you like the "new" eyeball? It passes inspection then!! WooHoooo!

Good to "see" you again. I missed all of you guys the last few days. Really I did. This thread is a breath of fresh air.

I sat here for a while, waiting on the garbage truck to come. They've passed me by before and I've had to call and scold them, hehe. So I took a break from the housework with a fresh hot cup of coffee and waited to hear them coming down the road so I could chase them down if they missed me again.. But they made it, so now I'm off to do some household chores.

Take care till later~~
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87930 Mar 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Howdy, Rapid. So you like the "new" eyeball? It passes inspection then!! WooHoooo!
Good to "see" you again. I missed all of you guys the last few days. Really I did. This thread is a breath of fresh air.
I sat here for a while, waiting on the garbage truck to come. They've passed me by before and I've had to call and scold them, hehe. So I took a break from the housework with a fresh hot cup of coffee and waited to hear them coming down the road so I could chase them down if they missed me again.. But they made it, so now I'm off to do some household chores.
Take care till later~~
NOPE, what a big 'eye' you have! all the better to see me with my dear ! heeheeheee!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87931 Mar 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been watching them for a couple years and think people could learn from them. It really is a joint effort for them to scout the nest, build it,(if they don't use one already used before), they both incubate the eggs, hunt for food, etc...It is a joy to watch these magnificient birds up close. Last year I watched them raise 3, unfortunately one was killed in high wires, but the other two are surviving well. They track them and we get to see them in their adult glory. Hope to see them mating and part of the program soon.
Oh, I so agree. It's amazing the instincts birds and other animals have. They do not go off and leave their babies endangered in autos with notes attached or not. The males take the initiative to help, no asking. Hehe. Glad to hear that two babies survived last year. We love the Birds;) Thanks for your updates:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87933 Mar 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Take care till later~~
Just took out trash and put on coffee ten minutes ago. Hehe. I like that eye as well. I've been walking about two miles a week...need to bump it up to three. Are there a lot of morels in Ky? I wish I knew were to hunt. Love mushrooms. Public land is off limits, I know. You enjoy those critters. They sure are lucky to have ya:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87934 Mar 27, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> HEY ! you blue-eyed beuttie of an eyeball ! haha! Your starving me to death...We were already picking mushrooms this time last year. Crazy weather just won't give us a break. but I got a feel'n it won't be long now ! Happy Hunt'n !
I love mushroom and gravy with my wild rice. Yummm. You two birds have me licking my chops and no mushrooms in sight. Hehe. Fine day there,Rapidfire. Have a good one;)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#87935 Mar 27, 2013
I am an independent, stubborn ole cuss and don't care who knows it LOL I have been out working all morning and still keeping at it even though my cold, arthritic fingers won't hold onto the hammer, nails, drill bit and screws. I keep having to climb up and down the ladder to get the things these fingers drop... But I won't give up and be a crybaby. hahaha Besides, climbing that ladder is good exercise. You folks have a good day, I just came in to warm my fingers and put some more wood in the stove.
back door man

AOL

#87940 Mar 27, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
@ Ab; Last summer we had a pair of kildees nesting in the driveway turnaround.(not sure of the correct spelling),they always nest in the gravels. they resemble a sea gull. when you get close to the nest,which ever one is setting will run a few feet,flop around like it has a broken wing to lure off preditars. Well,one hot day in august,I was mowing the yard,It was around 100 degs. the bird lokked like it was roasting. So I went to the shed,got some cracked corn,some bread,and a can lid full of water, put the feed and water about a foot from the nest which had four eggs. then I came back in the cabin,got me a cold drink,went out on the porch,sat down and watched the show ! Don't know what they eat, but its sure not corn or bread. They both worked for at least an hour to permanantly remove every last crumb of bread and corn! they would pick up all that they could in their mouth,fly off with it,and drop it in or next to the pond. They never touched the water,but I could tell they did not like it in their home,So I removed it and they were happy once again! It kind of reminded me of the ole-days ,When people were too proud to take hand-outs...Now days they will ask for it!
today they demand hand outs ,..
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87941 Mar 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I am an independent, stubborn ole cuss and don't care who knows it LOL I have been out working all morning and still keeping at it even though my cold, arthritic fingers won't hold onto the hammer, nails, drill bit and screws. I keep having to climb up and down the ladder to get the things these fingers drop... But I won't give up and be a crybaby. hahaha Besides, climbing that ladder is good exercise. You folks have a good day, I just came in to warm my fingers and put some more wood in the stove.
HEY ! I'm with YOU, wolfman! they'll have to pry my hammer from my cold,arthritic, dead hands ! never give up ole feller. sounds like you need a good shot of gensein tea,with a little honey and lemon . Good for what ales you my friend...It sure helps me, well, all the coffee and ale-8-ones don't hurt either. haha! Nice weather coming up this weekend, Im sure THAT will help us All.'Have a Goodr'n'!
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87943 Mar 27, 2013
der wrote:
this is stupid stuff
Thats only because morel mushrooms don't grow in the afghani desert ! lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#87944 Mar 27, 2013
It appears the fake "Nope" from Hazard really WAS digging fake post holes. LOL My hammer has been put away for the evening, so these arthritic, cold fingers won't drop it any more today. LOL
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87949 Mar 27, 2013
Kentucky Legislature Passes Hemp Bill, Rand Paul Vows Support From D.C.

Mike Riggs|Mar. 27, 2013 10:49 am

Kentucky Senate joined the House in approving a hemp regulation bill last night. This morning, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) released a statement applauding the bill's passage and promising to continue to push for a federal waiver from the Controlled Substances Act for future Kentucky hemp growers:

“I commend the Kentucky General Assembly for final passage of Senate Bill 50. I want to thank Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture James Comer, Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Paul Hornback and the members of the Kentucky Industrial Hemp Commission for their leadership and hard work in passing this legislation,” Sen. Paul said.

“Senate Bill 50 is an important step forward in the reintroduction of industrial hemp in Kentucky. I have pledged, along with Rep. John Yarmuth, to seek a waiver when a regulatory framework is in place. I will follow through on that pledge and I hope that Kentucky will soon start growing hemp, creating jobs and leading the nation in this industry again.”

Earlier this month, libertarian activist Matt Hurtt wrote for Reason about Kentucky's push for industrial hemp legalization, and the support role Paul and Sen. Mitch McConnell are playing at the federal level.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/27/kentucky-le...

yay:) sad we almost had to go bankrupt first

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87951 Mar 27, 2013
It's nice out, but it's going to be fabulous this weekend. Happy Birds!
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87952 Mar 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Sorry I didn't drop in to leave some cheerful videos and you had to look your own up. lol
Here you go. Enjoy!
Compilation of the Funniest Ring Bearers at Weddings
Kids do the funniest things... especially when they are involved in weddings! Watch what these funny little gentlemen did when they were ring bearers, you'll be laughing hard!
http://www.godvine.com/Funniest-Ring-Bearers-...
Kids are so adorable in these roles at weddings.
How to tame an ostrich!
http://msnvideo.msn.com/...
I love this one too, it is adorable from a creature that is scary:
Cute Bear Waves Hello to the Cameraman
In the middle of a beautiful park, a beautiful brown bear waved hello to a cameraman that was passing by. We don't blame this bear for being so happy, if we lived in the middle of God's beautiful creation we would be happy too!
http://www.godvine.com/Cute-Bear-Waves-Hello-...
i definitely missed them!

good to see you back....

hubby dvrs revolution but i have not begun to watch it tho he has been urging me to do so.....

isn't that the way it always gos? spouse says the sky is blue so you know it must be green but another comes along and points out the sky is blue and obviously it is so...lol

i have the rest of the week off from work and munchkins unfortunately since my best friend lost her job this morning and boss man called me in at the end of my shift today to tell me he was going to have to cut out Fridays :( im going to try really hard not to find something to fill that slot like i normally do since maybe it happened because god is telling me im going to need Fridays off for some reason .... so maybe i will just spend the next couple days on canoodling on the sofa with poodle and watch last season so i will be caught up.

i could have been the one to lose my job completly so im counting my blessings ... maybe i can make it my canning day or something...

and there i go again filling up my time.lol

hope you are enjoying the weather...i sure am.
hey

Frankfort, KY

#87955 Mar 27, 2013
scary
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87956 Mar 27, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
It's nice out, but it's going to be fabulous this weekend. Happy Birds!
i just looked at the weather.... looks like the warm up is just going to be another teaser but i will take it! ready for it to be warm and the pool to open. ready for green and flowers.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87957 Mar 27, 2013
well im all caught up and have had my daily dose of feel good vids
(abeliever its days like these when i really want to give in to self pity and have a good cry that your little tidbits of inspiration come in so handy... just wanted to let you know someone appreciates them)

going to start dinner and then maybe i will check back in..... wonder where hempburn has been... wonder if he saw that bill 50 went thru....i know he will love that.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87958 Mar 27, 2013
betty wrote:
<quoted text>
i just looked at the weather.... looks like the warm up is just going to be another teaser but i will take it! ready for it to be warm and the pool to open. ready for green and flowers.
Yes, I am a Winter person usually, but this year it just made me ache. I am SO ready for Spring.
obamadontcare

Corbin, KY

#87960 Mar 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
It appears the fake "Nope" from Hazard really WAS digging fake post holes. LOL My hammer has been put away for the evening, so these arthritic, cold fingers won't drop it any more today. LOL
Maybe the other Nope can come up with an eyeball too. And then, maybe they will see 'eye to eye' on things! haha! might be hard to look'm in the eyes though, one eye would be look'n one way and the other eye look'n the other way ! LOL hooooweeee!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
curtis 7 min gator111 5
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min ChromiuMan 132,247
To the Garland family 13 min Renter 11
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 47 min Earl 18
Messers 1 hr murder 2
terry smith from the creek 1 hr Blah 11
dinky phipps 1 hr Edozier 20
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville